HBT2000 Review

8.6
 5.4
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
HBT2000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 23, 2005

Features: This guitar is a Custom Telecaster with a stunning orange flame maple capped top. Rather unusal feature is the use of a mahogony body making this Tele sustain beatifully. The 22 fret maple neck is extremely easy to play and the satin finish makes playability effortless. The neck has the traditional "skunk stripe" and abalone dot inlays. The tuners are die cast and have been consistent throughout. The 2 pick ups are Kent Armstrong and are pretty evenly balanced (infact I prefer the middle position of the 3way Switch) which give it plenty of poke and versitility. // 10

Sound: As a complete "Tele" novice, who has used every make & brand known to man, I was amazed at how something so simple could be so versatile. As a guitarist who has played with international rock acts, I would have no hesitation on using it on the road. I used my old trustworthy Gallien Krueger/Marshall JCM 800 Stereo rig in rehearsals. At home I used a Line 6 Spider combo. Believe me this baby sings when cranked. There is a specific Tele midrange honk, that literally no other guitar can copy (I play Highgain with screaming distortion) so whilst the single coils could be a little noisy it was worth it for the overall tone. After several hours wailing, I started playing without a pick ala Jeff Beck, you can see why everyone at sometimes goes "back to basics" or "beck to basics"). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar second hand, it still had the protective film on the control backplate and tuners. Normally I would have to adjust it, but with this baby everything was cock on. Neck straight and true. body well balanced and responsive, hardware clean and shiny without looking cheap. I normally have my action set low but this was higher and yet easier to play? Again the lure of the Tele is mysterious. Came with 9-42's which were a shade lighter but it was worth it for all those challenging country bends! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use it live, though the guitar might stand up to live playing I'm not sure whether I would with some of the more hostile crowds I have played in front of. Playing a bright orange Tele in front of a thrash metal crowd is definately making a statement! // 6

Overall Impression: I would have no problem using endorsing this product, as someone who has had several endorsement deals with major companies I find this refreshing to champion the "little guys." I'm already looking at a "Jim Reed" natural grain Tele. Infact the similarities are striking between the H. Benton & J Reed guitars. Some have said that Harley Benton's are Jim Reed's for the German market. Ah well, tonight Matthew I'm gonna be Joe Walsh from the Eagles playing the "Hotel California" solo. It's official this shredhead is now worshipping at the altar or Tele!. Amen to that. // 10

HBT2000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2006

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

Features: Korean/Chinese manufactured I guess. Flame maple top on a basswood body, set neck in the classic Tele shape, Tele style bridge, bog standard single coil pickups and tone/volume controls, with unknown tuners. The neck is the slimmest I can ever recall seeing, like as not, it will be much to slim for a lot of people. It came supplied with suitable key for both bridge and truss rod, tho' the truss rod key is slightly too large. // 9

Sound: The weak point is the pickups, nothing wrong with them per se, but as with all single coils, they tend to be a bit noisy, especially when used for home recording with a pc. The overall sound is typically bright. Used with a DigiTech RP50 and a Roland Microcube, I'm more than satisfied with the variety of tones I can get with this set up (I've now replaced the pickups). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good out of the box, but with a bit of careful adjustment, now has to be seen/played to be believed. I dare say other people will struggle to play this guitar as the action is so low. Overall, the wax/oil finish is good, there is nothing to criticise on this guitar for me, and the hardware appears to be solid enough. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've not had it long enough to form a opinion, tho' as it's strictly for home use, durability isn't really a issue. As a backup guitar, I reckon it would be perfect. // 7

Overall Impression: I changed to fitted pickups to a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless, the difference these have made to this guitar is staggering. What was a good solid instrument, is now something very, very special. As this model is no longer made/stocked by Harley Benton/Thomann, I've got a pretty unique guitar, which compared to a mid 50's Fender Telecaster I owned some years ago, is vastly superior in every way. The only thing it lacks, is a 'famous name' on the headstock. For a total price of, inc the new pickups, just over 200, I've got a guitar that would surely cost many times that amount to get equal quality in a named guitar. I showed it to a guy Who works in my local guitar shop, and asked him if he'd heard of the make and what his overall impressions were. He told me he'd never heard of Harley Bentons before, and going off the build quality/sound, he guessed that I'd paid some between 400 to 600. I've got a bargain. // 10

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review