H-80H-80-T Review

manufacturer: Harmony date: 04/28/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Harmony: H-80H-80-T
It's a classic Japan made Strat copy. It's essentially Buddy Holly's guitar. And it's a solid piece of plywood.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 6.6
 9.1
 4.1
reviews (2) pictures (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
H-80H-80-T Reviewed by: Quantumdriven, on april 26, 2011

Purchased from: e-bay

Features: What the heck I figure I scored me a Buddy Holly axe a few days after this baby appeared by FedEx at my door. It's a classic Japan made Strat copy. Weight 7.84 pounds. Doesn't sound mature of me, but heck after some down and dirty chores of setting it up I'm blown away. My neck was flat as a board when delivered with strings very played out loose as is proper. And the D'Addario.10 -.46 slinkies the cat sent it with didn't relieve the neck a bit. And that's cool when your fingerboard is apparently Precision sanded and radius and with no straggler frets sticking up. Yes it a tremble "whammy" bridge. And three pick-ups, 1 volume and 2 tone pots. And honestly the pots are quite dead until maybe 3 1/2 setting, and 7 setting is probably the same as 10. Strange that they hide the truss rod adjustment under the pick guard at the heel of neck. You can make the action what you want on this puppy. If the neck is indeed molded together and glued splinters, then maybe it would crack if you juiced that truss nut, who knows. Just mess with the 12 tiny allan nuts on the bridge. I love my "Buddy"! It's a nice sunburst, and it continues under the pick guard, and for that reason I'll be someday doing a Custom pick guard that will free up more of its finish for view. Somebody said it's a poly finish, and I'm not going to fight about that. But when I had it apart it didn't appear to be a near 1/16 inch dip job like I've seen on First Act electric and other cheapo Strat knockoffs. And keep in mind that there's not a single serial number of mention of H80 or H-80-T on this guitar. I've seen some on e-bay that still have the sticker on the neck/body bolt plate and that's the only time you'll see any evidence of what this is unless a worker freelanced wrote something in the pickup cavities. It is simply a dead ringer for Buddy Holly's 1958 sunburst Strat, except for the cheesy idiot round circle on the Strat's headstock. Sound Quality: I sounds great as a well made Japan Strat knock-off is going to get. I'll be interested in getting an upgrade in pots and pick-ups someday just for kicks. I'm sure if my crappy Ibanez 15 watt Tone Blaster didn't lock me out of not using Gain on the clean channel I'd be even more nuts over my new Buddy. And folks it's apparently a VERY good piece of plywood and "splinter" neck that this baby is crafted from. Mine has plenty on tonality feel to my body and hand when unplugged. Meaning I can feel this baby's neck resonate when unplugged, and hear it loud and clear when I put my ear to one of the horns while unplugged. And yes the wood is contoured just like a Strat. Reliable as all get out. Well I had to get rid of the pick-up covers because they were too tight in the opening. And because of warping in the pick guard I added 5 screws in addition to the 8 placements it had. I can only guess the poor thing had cooked in a car trunk at one time. You know what, the neck might be a tad bulky. But I guess one would be silly to sand on it and take the risk of exposing humidity to those "splinters", lol. And I will say that the nut is in a slot on the neck, and one would be advised to go to a Tech to get that baby knocked out and measured for your new one. Luckily I had no nut issues, other than mine not wanting to accept a coyboy.24 wound g string- hey I'm a hack, give me a break. You get one as solid as mine, then you've got a winner baby. Mess with peoples' minds and say you've got an "Outlaw Strat" from the Matsu factory in Japan. You won't be telling much of a whopper, either. Be glad that the snobs have thumbs down on this solid beauty while at the same time getting all crazy over Mustangs. Because of that mis read you and I can afford these fine H80 H-80-T guitars. // 10

Sound: I say this guitar sounds as good as half cooked Japan single coil pickups can sound. Like I said, apparently at one time this guitar cooked in a car of mobile home. I'm a novice and don't know much. But I'm wondering if the bottom tone knob should do something for the Bridge pickup, because it doesn't on this baby. Thing flat howls when you crank up the Middle and Reverb knobs. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The nut is a bit high, and I've put off trying to take it out. It's the Strat style nut in a slot in the neck, and I'm afraid I'll destroy it during removal. If that's the case, then bases on the height of the replacement nut I bought I'll be in for a lot of sanding. I really dig the Black/Yellow/Orange sunburst finish. So many corners are cut today and they've nixed the yellow in most cases. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I gotta go 10. As stated this is a very sturdy plywood, and its neck seems to know nothing but being straight. I've installed two more tremble springs and cranked it up to solid body it and tossed the whammy bar aside. Though when I was messing with the whammy it seemed to not take it out of tune. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, it's essentially Buddy Holly's guitar. And it's a solid piece of plywood. Anyone on here thinks their "Alder" electric is one piece is mistaken. And I don't think the neck is molded together splinters either - that might've been the case post 1984 but not on this one. // 10

H-80H-80-T Reviewed by: g_salazar26, on april 28, 2011

Features: A Japanese Strat-copy. 21 frets on a 7.5" Maple neck. Solid Plywood (possibly Maple) body (5.5 lbs) 25.5" scale length. Cream/Tan Poly finish. 1 vol, 2 tone pots, 5 way selector. SSS PU's, Vintage style tremolo. Vintage sealed tuners. Chrome hardware and white plastic's. This guitar is simply awesome! And delivers great tone! I received this guitar off a friend who thought it was broken, I simply opened her up and it was the HOT wire to the output jack that came lose, that's it! Re-soldered it and BAM! It was show time! I knew nothing about this guitar until I did some research and not many people know much about this guitar. All I know is that my guitar is some where between 70's to 80's. Assuming that this is an exact copy, it has a lot of 60's style appointments to it. I'm really blown away that this guitar is an import. It could easily combat any domestic! // 10

Sound: I play all types of rock. Mainly Metal and Hard Rock and any type of rock really. I play Tilly (that's her name =D) through my Marshall and it delivers great, clean tones. Sounds just like any Vintage style strat. I use a Danelectro Fab Metal Pedal and it gets pretty bassy when I'm "chugging" some metal. I love using my Crybaby with this guitar, produces that Jimi tone I love. Pots aren't too responsive. They were pretty scratchy when I got the guitar. I cleaned them up, oiled them and they work perfect now, they just aren't very responsive 'til around 3 or so and 7 or 8 is the same as 10. Bridge pickup produces some great tone and the neck pickup gives great bassy tones. Mid pickup is great for playing some blues rock, specially my 4 (neck/mid) position. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received this guitar from my friend, this guitar was pretty much in the shittiest condition I have ever seen a guitar! One saddle is on its side, one was completely upside down, neck pickup fell right through, there was one screw on the mid pickup, trem block has a hole; it just hurts to think of all the things she went through... ='( but I came to the rescue! I have restored this guitar completely! I've got insanely low action, and there is no buzz what'soever! Neck is completely straight and has not moved at all! The previous owner used 11's on this guitar and I changed them to 10's and the neck hasn't moved at all! (I usually use 11's, but that's on my strat). I keep the trem floating and it keeps tuning pretty damn good! And I am constantly changing from drop D back to Standard and there is minimal change on the other strings. Only problem that I have is my nut; on the high e, it has almost completely been grinded down, so its time for a replacement! Tuning pegs are a bit loose and not much chrome has oxidized besides the PU screws and very minimal oxidation on the saddles. The vol knob is missing but I got a replacement. The pickguard is 1-ply and it's in pretty good condition. All the plastic parts are white, but most have aged, especially the PU covers. The routing on the guitar is HSS so it has possibilities =)The finish on the guitar is in very good condition, it's a poly finish from what I can tell and it was no cheap ass dip job as other Strat copies. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty confident that this guitar would last through a gig =) I have taken it to many different places, and this guitar is still going! There are many digs and dents on the lower part of the body, and it has belt buckle rash, but none of this was caused by me! I love my girls and I take very good care of all of them! Apparently this guitar has been dropped and has been left alone and fell, but it hasn't affected tone at all! As far as the plastics go, they should last a good while with proper care. If you don't want that aged look, then plan to replace! Personally, I love that aged look, shows its battle scars =) My trem block actually broke though... there's a hole in the block and the trem arm goes right through it! so til i replace it, looks like i'll be going hardtail. i don't know whether to blame this on the block itself or the conditions it went through with the previous owner. Pots are very durable and will last a good while. PU selector is a bit flimsy, mine needed repair and pretty soon will need replacement. strap buttons are solid, especially the neck side button. On the bass side, the wood has been worn and its a bit lose. (WARNING: if you are planing on mod's, the wood wears VERY EASILY! So don't take screws in and out over and over, you'll regret it!, you can only drill so many holes after all). Overall, the finish is very good and will last forever! (has lasted this far!) it's actually quite hard to scratch the body, will last lots of playing, I would depend on this guitar with no back at all! // 10

Overall Impression: Mainly I use my Strat Deluxe for most of my music. I use a Seymour Duncan Distortion Humbucker with my texas specials in the neck and mid positions. But when I want classic Strat tones, I turn to Tilly!! If only i were a set of triplets, then I could play my Fender, Tilly, and Autumn! (My Ovation by the way) I think the only thing I would change would be the truss rod placement, its just like a Vintage strat, its in the neck pocket and that's a bitch to mess with when its located there... but whatever as long as it works!! If some low life S.O.B. were to steal my Tilly from me, 1-he will no longer be stealing any other guitar ever again, and never breath again either =) and I would definitely buy another! this is a GREAT Strat copy for a really cheap price as i have seen through sites. I love everything about this guitar, only thing i hate, as stated above, is the truss rod placement, the cheap plastic nut that will eventually wear on anyone who owns this guitar, and whatever material the trem block is made of that a friggin hole was made through it! My favorite feature of this beauty is the classic, pure Strat tone. At the time, i didn't compare it to anything for the reason that it was my first guitar! But i am more than happy that I got this guitar! I have been playing for the past 4 years and I started Custom building and modifying guitar for myself and friends for the past 3 years. If you come across this guitar and your looking for a good strat, this is the one! You won't regret getting this guitar. // 10

More Harmony reviews rating category latest review
+ H-802 8.3 Electric Guitars 07/06/2010