Colorama II Review

manufacturer: Hofner date: 05/06/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Hofner: Colorama II
It suits my playing style nicely. This guitar will go from clean bluesy tones to punk/rock tones.
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Colorama II Reviewed by: carreg_cennen, on may 06, 2014

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Not sure what year this was manufactured as I bought it second hand.

The specs are:

• Neck Material - Mahogany
  • Neck Profile - Set Neck
  • Tailpiece - Stop-Tail
  • Pickup Type - 2 x P90 Pickups
Really nice double cutaway body shape and the join between the neck and the body is beautifully done making it a pleasure to play. Apparently some of the earlier versions cxame with genuine grover tuners but this one didn't the standard tuners are ok though. The body is Matt Black (although theres also a red version available). The fret marker inlays are an unusual bar design copying an older Hofner type from the original Coloramas I think. // 8

Sound: It suits my playing style nicely mainly blues and rock covers, I use it with an Orange Micro Terror and a homemade Vintage 30 cabinet and a variety of home made and other effects. For a P90 I find it surprisingly quiet in terms of noise, but it really packs a punch in terms of tone and volume as you would expect from a P90 pickup. I mainly use the bridge and middle pickup settings with the bridge giving extra bite and the middle giving a nice warm clean tone. I play through all sorts of effects but use a fairly clean tune setting. This guitar will go from clean bluesy tones to punk/rock tones. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Don't know how well it was set up at the factory but probably not great. The nut binds a little (cured with a little graphite from a pencil occasionally) and the action is a little High at the nut end (which I need to get sorted out but haven't bothered yet) which leads to my occasional heavy handedness making chords go sharp. The whole guitar could do with a bit of an overhaul to bring it up to scratch but its generally ok. This sounds as if I'm unhappy with the guitar but I'm just trying to be critical. I actually love the way the guitar feels - it's just that with a little extra attention it could be really good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty reliable all switches and pots ok - hasn't let me down yet all hardware seems good strap buttons are solid, finish is wearing a little but not enough to be a problem - just enough to give it a bit of extra character! Odd wiring of pickups means that if you turn either down completely in the middle setting the sound disappears but Ive never bothered to change it as it doesn't seem to present a real problem as the whole point of the middle setting is to combine the front and rear pickups. // 8

Overall Impression: Suits my style of playing (blues and rock), neck is just right for me. I know this sounds shallow but I love the look of the guitar, I've always liked a double cutaway with short rounded off horns thats symmetrical and this really fits the bill. As a result of the button placement it's a tiny bit neck heavy but not enough to be a problem.

I've been playing for about 40 years and this is my favourite guitar, I also have a Cort Source (very nice 335 copy), a Hohner Japanese Strat copy from the '80s and a wonderful little Wesley "Jasper" travel guitar which I got from eBay for £30 :)

If it were stolen I would buy another without hesitation.

Love:
- The sound
- The feel of the neck
- P90 Pickups
- Really nice set neck giving access to the "dusty" end of the neck

Not so keen about:
- A bit neck heavy
- Action at the nut end needs a little correction. // 8

More Hofner reviews rating category latest review
+ 500/1 Contemporary Beatle Bass 9.1 Bass Guitars 10/23/2013