HCT J17 Review

6.7
review (1) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
HCT J17 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Village

Features: No accessories. But by far the best case was purchased from Woodbrass. 99% perfect fit for this guitar, sewn-in satin shroud, excellent design, and ridiculously low price. Mine is brown leather-cloth, with deep red plush. Internal case design was exceptionally good. // 1

Sound: I'm an arch top player using a range of Marshall and Fender amps. The Floating style pickup has lower volume and very limited range of rather brassy tones. The pickup can is perhaps no better or worse than the modern Chinese floating pick-ups, but will never approach the power and range of modern single-coil or humbucking pickups. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought a bog-standard Trans-Red finish. I bought it unseen on the internet, but at the lowest possible price. I may have done better to buy blond or sunburst, but they were not available at the low price. The worst problem was considerable fret rattle and an excessive relief of the nece requiring work on the truss rod and stoning down the frets even to make it tollerably playable. I would hope that most of them would be better than this. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This is not a professional guitar, although most models should be quite adequate for amateur players. The finish, binding, bridge, pick-guard and tail-piece are very good. Like many cheaper guitars, you must beware of the security of the locking nut on the jack input which are not often sufficiently tightened. // 4

Overall Impression: I'm an insturmental composer. I've been playing for over 40 years, I have 16 guitars, some very expensive, some cheap. I would not buy another of these were it lost or stolen. I own half a dozen archtops and this is not comparable with any of them. Other than the failings in the neck, (which is of course the MOST important factor) I should say it was barely competitive and would not recommend it. I bought it only because it is one style of archtop that I didn't own. // 4

More Hofner reviews rating category latest review
+ Verythin CT 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014