L59 Review

manufacturer: Hohner date: 04/04/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Hohner: L59
It sustains very well with a lovely smooth sound through the neck pickup and the bridge pickup is brilliant for leads. I mainly play classic rock and this suits this genre great.
 9.4
 8.6
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
L59 Reviewed by: ilikekfc, on april 04, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I think it was made in 1989, but I'm not sure, in Korea I think. I'm not sure what wood it is but it is definitely solid with a solid top. It has a one piece mahogany back with grain going across it. The hardware is gold but over the years has worn of. It has the standard Les Paul set up with tune-o-matic bridge and two very good humbuckers. It has the standard two volume and two and three way toggle switch. It has a solid wood neck and it is a big fat neck. The guitar has real binding around the neck and body and because of the age it has gone a lovely cream colour to go with the tobacco sunburst. // 9

Sound: It sounds brilliant through my Vox AC15VR. It sustains very well with a lovely smooth sound through the neck pickup and the bridge pickup is brilliant for leads. I mainly play classic rock and this suits this genre great, it suits Free and Bad Company very well, it has a very good clean sound and the overdrive is brilliant. Their isn't much else to say, I can't really find a major problem with it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is good but it could be a bit lower and the finish is great the top is book matched extremely well and the paint over the top was applied very well. The pickups were in very well but the neck pickup was very low down. The bridge and the nut are well put in and routed well. The electrics don't make any noise while being used through the amp but the pots are poor some are alright but others are to stiff, it could be a easy fix but I'll wait and see until I have the money to replace them. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with this one yet so I don't know how it will cope live, but I do feel it will be alright. The hardware will last, at the moment everything is original. I could depend on it but I would still take a backup because the selector switch seems a bit week and the finish is very good, it has a big thick finish on it and their isn't any chips or cracks on it and it looks like it would be hard to damage it. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is brilliant, if you get the chance to buy one for the money I did get it. If it got stolen I would find the person who stole it and beat them up. I compared it to Epiphones and other big names but this, in my opinion, is in a league of its own, the build quality and sound is just so much better it could easily go up against the Epiphone Les Paul Standards and other makes. I'll be playing it at my next gig, definitely. // 10

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013