L90 Goldtop Review

manufacturer: Hohner date: 06/30/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Hohner: L90 Goldtop
Made in 1992 in England, 24 standard frets on maple with a solid and laminated top body is made of maple also. Burntwood finish single cutaway Les Paul copy by Rockwood/Hohner. It has a Tune-O-Matic style bridge in gold finish.
 6.9
 5.7
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
L90 Goldtop Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2005

Features: Made in 1992 in England, 24 standard frets on maple with a solid and laminated top body is made of maple also. Burntwood finish single cutaway Les Paul Copy by Rockwood/Hohner. It has a Tune-O-Matic style bridge in gold finish. 2 Volume, 2 tone controls - passive electronics, Hohner's own double humbucker pickups. Hohner machineheads. // 6

Sound: It has a warm tone to it when in distortion and a soft, light tone when clean. I like to play emo/punk music so this guitar has what is asked of it. I love the plain clean sound of the pickups it produces for my fingerpicking work and the distorted groans and shouts that it is capable of giving out is just right for the dark emotional backgrounds of the music I play. I normally put his through a 300W Marshall Valvestate amp and its pure bliss. The pickup settings allow you when switched to bridge give a great screaming solo type tone, middle is a standard all round setting and top is pretty good for thrash and palm muting. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The machineheads were a little loose de-tuning the guitar a little over an extended amount of time but aren't too bad. The bridge/saddle is little loose also which isn't exactly a good thing to have but still does its job otherwise this guitar is clean all round on this subject. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty reliable, it doesn't need tuning all the time as it has a steady and long lasting in tune time. Its strap buttons are solid not loose one bit, strings do not easily come off it or break off this model. I have used it for several gigs and has lasted a good time all throughout all of them. I will never have to take a backup as I can depend on this more than anything else. // 10

Overall Impression: For what I play, emo/punk style music, it suits me ideally. I have been playing for three years now and I have also got a Fender Stratocaster which has huge competition, but I have had the LP copy four months and I love it. I would definitely recommend this to any budding guitarist. // 8

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013