MR800 Review

6.4
 5.4
review (1) pictures (5) 6 comments vote for this gear:
MR800 Reviewed by: Guitar_Slinger1, on april 25, 2013

Features: This is a 2007 model from what I have been able to find out. It's an overseas import from China again, a guess based on no country of origin on it. It's a solid body electric with a nice flame maple top. Cream binding and a killer tribal neck inlay. 24 frets which is always nice. The body is maple with the maple cap. Mine is a transparent black which looks amazing. Similar to a Strat style or even an S series Ibanez. It is string through body and tune o matic bridge, again my preferred bridge. The pickup configuration is a Tesla VR3 in the bridge and a Tesla VR1 in the neck passive pickups. It's got a simple volume, tone and 3 way switch on it. Tuners are Rotomatics and all hardware is in a smoke chrome finish which accents this guitar nicely. // 7

Sound: I play a variety of styles depending on who I'm jamming with. I've been playing more rock sounds lately ala Van Halen sound and like Great White bluesy sounding rock, my preferred media is speed metal and thrash but I even do some '50s on occasion. I must say that this isn't a metal guitar, it just doesn't sound right on it or feel right with it, however for the '80s rock sound it excells. I also like the cleans out of the neck single coil for oldies rhythm playing. I set it up to my preference and bought it used so I can't tell ya how the factory setup was but it's easy to set up a great comfortable feel with it. I would say it has great tonal variety for what it is, it has things it does great and things it doesn't. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish is actually very good, feels very good in the hands and just begs to be played. I can't speak for original set up but it's great for me now, quite low action and some little tweaks for me was all it needed. I am able to enjoy playing fast on it with mo buzz and the frets feel good, jumbos on this particular model. The neck joint is comfortable with good access for my playing style. I guess if you're looking for a good rock axe, this would be one of my first choices. The top looks good to me and love the deep flame on it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This does well in a live setting, it's just a good affordable guitar. Trustworthy for me but I always use a backup. The Rotomatics are great and the TOM is as expected. Tuning stability seems solid to me strap pins are tight and hold up to Grolsch washers. The finish is deep and solid and doesn't seem to scratch or dent really easily, and the neck is raw so that's good for me. I guess for the money I can't bitch no matter what but I've got 500 plus dollar guitars with a poorer finish to em. I just think it'll be fine for years to come. // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this MR800 is just great. It's an amazing guitar that is WAY too often overlooked in a world full of Ibanezes and Jacksons. I have 28 guitars in the house and am an avid collector of odd guitars that I don't see everyday. This one was a very welcome addition to the collection as it's the everyman's guitar. It does a lot of things really well and only really falls short when playing hard metal with it. I can live with that. If it were me I'd run and buy all these I can find and that may well be what I do. Try it out, you'll dig it! Video from YouTube:

// 7

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ Rockwood LX90L 6.6 Electric Guitars 06/07/2012