Rockwood LX90L Review

manufacturer: Hohner date: 06/07/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Hohner: Rockwood LX90L
It's not for beginners, because it might put you off playing for life, but if your an intermediate to high level player then this guitar really is a bargain if you can be bothered to make a few adjustments to it.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.3
 6.6
 6.8
 6.4
reviews (3) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Rockwood LX90L Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2005

Features: - Year - around 2001-2002 (I think) - Frets - 22 - Laminated top (I think) - Body Material: Made from plywood I reckon - Body Style: Strat style - Body Finish: Mirror black - Bridge style: Tremolo + Whammy Bar - Controls: 1 Volume knob, 2 Tone knobs, 5-way selector - Pickups: S/S/S, make unknown - Tuners: Non-locking - Accessories: Included an excellent 10W Park Amp and 'how to play' video. // 8

Sound: I got this guitar from a friend who never played it. I had never played guitar before and for a beginner I can't really recommend it. It comes with high action, weak pickup sustain and crap strings. The best thing is the accessories which include a guitar strap and an excellent Park 10W amp. With distorion there is a bit of background noise as well. This guitar suits my music style as I play classic rock and the cutaway neck makes soloing easy. It also has a whammy bar so you can play all Hendrix improvisation stuff on it too. It's really good for all styles much like a proper Fender Strat just more affordable. I now play it with a Marshall DFX15 and Korg AX100G and it playes a million times better because for rock/hard rock/metal I don't have to strain to get sound out of the weak pickups because my effects pedal compensates for it. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar the action was way too high and the bridge was too springy. The high action is scary when your a beginner and if I could have afforded it I would have got a guitar tech to adjust it for me. Instead I adjusted the bridge tension at the back and lowered the strings individually at the bridge. Once that was sorted it plays suprisingly quickly. I can play stuff like Led Zep - Rock And Roll and Stairway easily on it now. The pickups are unbranded, the neck pickup is good on clean and with distortion gives a Black Sabbath Toni Iommi kinda deep smooth sound, good for rhythm. The middle pickup is useless it sounds sqeeky and awful. The bridge pickup is ok with overdrive but doesnt really give the sustain needed for leads and soloing in my opinion. The machine heads are also liable to need replacing as after a while 3 of the 6 I had began to seaze up. I purchased some similar ones and their fine now. The strings it comes with are also very cheap and I would recommend replacing them with D'Addario's or Slinky's. Also the fret could prob do with filing down if your a slow player to improve speed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar live and it stands up to the test. The hardware has lasted me 2 years although I am considering changing the pickups for DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans for that extra sustain needed for certain solo's. The strap buttons are solid, although you may want to change the strap it comes with for one with tighter holes. I beleive I could depend on it when gigging as it has never failed me yet. The finish is truly awesome for a cheaper guitar which this one obviously was at time of purchase. It has a mirror black finish better than anything you'll find on a real Fender. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I'd give this guitar a 4. For a beginner I'd say don't get this because it might put you off playing for life, but if your an intermediate to high level player then this guitar really is a bargain if you can be bothered to make a few adjustments to it. The best bit is the contours and the weight of the guitar. It feels really sturdy and reliable and the neck is suprisingly quick. With the right adjustments it can play better than a more expensive Fender. // 8

Rockwood LX90L Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2007

Purchased from: Argos Stores

Features: The LX90L was probably made in 1964 at a Japanese factory. It has a maple neck with 22 fat frets. The body style is like that of a classic 50s Fender Strat. With all the features that a Stratocaster possesses e.g tremolo bar, 3 controls, 5-way selector switch etc. The tuners are non-locking but quite good, confering decent hours of tuning stability particularly if you limit the use of the tremolo bar. The Hohner Rockwood came with a decent strap and a 10W Park amp. // 6

Sound: I play almost all genre of music and the guitar goes perfectly well with them. I use a Marshall or Fender Squier small amp. For extensive effects I am currently using the DigiTech RP 150. Naturally as Strat. uses exclusively single coil pickups you get little noise when not playing particularly when set on amp/pedal distortion. The guitar can make 5 different sounds due to it's 5-way selector switch. Furthermore the sounds are classic Stratocaster sounds that you probably will not get on a cheap modern Strat. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar action set-up at the factory was appalling but action became surprisingly brilliant when I changed the strings and then tuned with the DigiTech guitar processor. The pickups were set-up low giving a weak output and small tone. However when I raised the pickups much closer to the strings to a perfect height (no magnetic problem), the guitar now sounds with very beautiful tone, high output and capable of performing to an audience. Tell you the truth after this pickup adjustment it has a more beautiful sound than a Washburn or an expensive Fender Strat. though they will sound more professional as their pickups are more expensive. The cut-away on the LX90L is superb you can even play on the final 7 frets comfortably. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstands my live playing giving good satisfaction when playing/hearing it. The hardware is solid and it will last many years. The strap buttons are quite decent. The finish will last and it may wear off though with lots of playing but it will not be soon at all than you think. // 6

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over 13 years now and I also own a deluxe Fender Squier Telecaster and a Washburn X-40. If it were stolen I would buy it again because I strongly believe if I make just one adjustment, to replace the pickups with a 1000 dollars designer pickups. Then I would have the perfect Stratocaster. // 6

Rockwood LX90L Reviewed by: BVBKilljoy, on june 07, 2012

Purchased from: A friend

Features: The Rockwood LX90L was made in Japan, It's got a maple neck with 22 frets. It's a typical Stratocaster shape with all the features of a Fender (3 single coil pickups, 5-way switch, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs, tremolo system. The nut is non-locking but stays in tune quite good, especially without the use of the trem. // 7

Sound: I play anything Metal/Rock, ranging from Suicide Silence to Black Sabbath and the Rockwood LX90L copes with it very good. I use a Marshall MG10 practice amp and Guitar Rig 4 laptop software. The guitar produces at least 5 different sounds thanks to the pickup selector and tone controls. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, the action was terrible, but with a new set of strings and a quick tune up, it improved massively. The pickups were quite low producing a weak volume, but once I raised them, It sounded much better than a cheap low-end Stratocaster copy. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I play this guitar everyday, and like I said before, it keeps in tune well. I've owned this guitar second-hand for around a year now, and the finish (gloss black) is only just starting to wear. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I've rated the guitar a 6. This was my first electric guitar and with a couple of changes it's been okay. I'd advise a beginner to buy this instead of another generic low-end Strat copy. // 6

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013