Explorer Review

9.4
 6.2
review (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Explorer Reviewed by: EddieOwen, on december 13, 2010

Features: This guitar is pretty damn amazing. Also, extremely rare. Even pictures of it are very hard to find. There is no certain history about this guitar. I think it was made in the '80s. There are 22 frets and it has a chess board like finish. It doesn't even have a proper name, I know it is part of the Hondo Deluxe Series 781. There is nothing with this guitar, I cannot tell what pickups, bridge and stock they are. // 10

Sound: It is frickin' amazing for my genre (heavy metal) it makes a really nice sound, you can adjust it from a deep strong sound to a clean crispy sound. I am using it with a Fender roc pro and sometimes a Fender cybertwin. It sounds really very nice. It is perfect for fast soloing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It is very well made and has lasted for near 30 years. Everything is working. I had a problem a couple of months back when it just would not carry the sound through to the amplifier. But after leaving it for about a week it sorted itself out (I do not know how). There are no flaws, apart from that it is uncomfortable to sit down with due to the shape, it is also very heavy so it hurts after extended standing up. It has rusted, the pickups and bridge. But that is from my neglect, I have gone sometimes years at a time without looking at it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can handle live playing easily. The strap buttons are good so I do not need to fear it falling off. I would not use it a gig without backup, just because I am extremely surprised it has lasted so long. It may at a random point just give up on working. The finish is great, it looks as good as it did when it was bought. The hardware looks like it will last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, it is a perfect match and good for any metal player. I have been playing 8 years and own numerous other amps and settings and 1 other electric: a Washburn WI200. If it were stolen or lost I would like to buy it again, but I doubt I would be able to, it is extremely rare and I doubt I would ever see one like it again. I love the look of it, it looks awesome. And I find the sound amazing. It is a very hardy guitar and it will hopefully last me for another couple of years. I wish it had more settings, it only has a tone and volume. // 10

More Hondo reviews rating category latest review
+ Paul Dean II 8.9 Electric Guitars 11/26/2010