HufPaull Review

9.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
HufPaull Reviewed by: 8stringlover, on september 08, 2008

Purchased from: Djairouks

Features: This guitar was made in august 2008 and is a unique model made under my specifications in close work with Patrick because he knows what is best he's de luthier. This guitar has the shape of a Lespaul is made of mahogany one piece body and one piece neck and ebony fingerboard with bolt on 24 frets neck. The pickups were also made on my sound description by Kent Armstrong so they are unique as well. The finish is a trademark of Patrick's knowledge and leaves the grain of the wood open so the guitar sounds better. // 10

Sound: My style is in between swedish heavy metal and trash so I need very precise harmonies but also a very heavy and cuting sound. Before having guitars made by Patrick I had Gibsons, ESP's and Jacksons while some US very expensive models where good I will never use any factory guitars anymore, because some have major construction flaws and the lacker, pickups and neck playability has never been near Patrick's work. I thought nothing could ever compare to my EMG's 81 at a certain period after playing 2 minutes on kent's pickups there was no turning back, more accuracy, more sustain, more definition and the overall tonal range is fully usable with perfect and vibrant harmonics. As on the other hand EMG's 81's integrated preamp gives so much bass and oomph that the sound is getting muddy compared to Kent's work. I have a Mesa single rectifier and a Koch twintone both plugged with gates and external equalizers to get a perfect sound. The guy to which I sold my last ESP played on both amplifiers but when the HufPaull is plugged in there is no comparison the amplifier is unleashed. The sound that can be made is very varied and the pickups are really usable at all volumes, I can get the craziest driven sound with beautifull palm mutes, to a Jazz sound, blues and also one of my favourite clean sound similar to nothing else matters using the tone knob and the 3 positions. Each combination is fully sounding very clean without buzzes and every string is heard. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was adjusted perfectly being a metal player this is a very important thing for speed and accuracy. The pickups as well are adjusted to sound great. Going on this instrument after having one of the most expensive US made ESP I was able to play 1.5x faster some riffs without being as exhausted as before, Patrick's necks are amazing when you start playing you never want to stop. The bridge is a high quality steel part so this doesn't make the guitar sound bad as some bridges do. As I said the finish is opened grain and magificent it's this plastic lack every company uses that I find too shiny and couloury this is really something that I find ridiculous. The neck is bolt on and I know some people argue about this point which is considered not so good well all I know is that no set neck guitar I ever used gave me such sound ad sustain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's my second guitar made by Patrick the first one is still like day 1, sounding and playing like a dream so seeing the improvements he made since some years, this one will be just as good as the other one. This guitar was made for me in partnership with Patrick's knowledge so I can't find anything wrong or bad on it, really I dreamed it and he made it come true. // 10

Overall Impression: Patrick is a great guy which I know now personally living as well in switzerland so we talked about this project since 2 months before begining, he is always there for my questions what could be better for a client than knowing the guy who made his guitar personally and being able to have an answer in days about anything. I've been playing since 13 years and was a gear addict but now with this guitar no need for anything else it cured me. People will wonder why I put 10 on everything, this is pretty simple after playing 9 years on high factory guitars I found some that I liked a lot and thaught that there couldn't be anything better. If I had made a review by that time I would have put a 9 because nothing is perfect in life and these guitars where made in big numbers so I always would have wanted diferant finishes or pickpus or juste litlle detail. But when someone builds you to the smallest detail exactly the instrument you wanted and that it plays so easily in your hands with a sound never so good ever I don't know what to do but to put 10 on every aspect of the instrument. This is my story but if you know exactly what you want and are able to explain it precisely to Patrick No Doubt it will end up the same. The shame is that not enough people know about him, he's trying to make a living of his guitars so I encourage people reading this to contact him because I paid twice the price of his guitars for a big US factory guitar, so really his guitars are cheap considering the Us factory models where not made only for a person's wishes. // 10

More Hufschmid reviews rating category latest review
+ Green Attack Drop Plectrum 8.3 Others 04/09/2014