AR100 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/11/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: AR100
The Ibanez Artist has long been the choice of players looking for an alternative to a Les Paul at a great price. Top notch Japanese quality and workmanship throughout.
 8.7
 8.9
 8.4
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
AR100 Reviewed by: HeliuM, on january 07, 2008

Features: This is an Ibanez AR100 from 1980 handcrafted in Japan (looks quite similar to today's AR300). It has 2 humbuckers, mahogany body and set neck, maple top, gibraltar bridge and golden hardware. Pickups are uncovered. It comes with 22 jumbo frets. This one has a faded cherry sunburst finish, and dual cutaway design. It also has separate tone and volume controls for each pickup. // 10

Sound: It sounds very much like a Les Paul, due to the same pickup style and thick mahogany body with maple top. It's very easy to get a Jimmy Page bridge pickup sound, or Slash solo sound with the neck pickup. This guitar sounds like a dream. The thing I love about it most is the near endless sustain you get from it. Switching pickups occasionally causes some crackling, probably a connection that has gone bad. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is 27 years old and plays perfectly, action seems quite low and there is absolutely no fret buzz. Pickups sound fine so I left them on the level they were. The gold hardware has faded somewhat and so has the finish, which makes it look real Vintage. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has survived for 27 years and sound and looks incredible, it is quite heavy and I'm sure it'd withstand Live playing. The gold on the hardware has lost it's shinyness, but it all still works perfectly. Strap buttons are very solid and don't look like they'd ever come off. The finish has become sort of faded but looks nice and vintagey. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is amazing for any kind of music you'd play on a Les Paul. From classic rock to blues to metal it all sounds wonderfull. The pickups remain clear and articulate even under high gain. The tone controls on this guitar can really make a huge difference to your sound, and the fact that each pickup has separate controls allows you to Switch from a dark neck pickup sound to a bright bridge pickup sound quickly. I use this with an old Hughes And Kettner Thirty and a Peavey Valveking Royal 8. It sounds terrific on both the S/S and the tube amp. It sounds best overdriven, but the cleans are terrific as well. If it ever were stolen I'd be very depressed, as these are becoming quite rare. // 10

AR100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2010

Purchased from: sam ash

Features: Year I not sure of but I think is fairly new Made in China. It has a 22 fret bound rosewood fret board with a cool little inlay at the 12th fret and I think it has a 24.75 scale. The body and neck are both made out of mahogany. The body is a comfortable single cutaway. It has A Gibraltar III tune-o-matic style bridge. It has 2 stock Ibanez Passive pickups that make the gutair sound a little thin for a full mahogany body. There not bad; but if you can replace them go ahead. There are two volume and one tone controls and a three way selector. The tuners work fairly well but locking ones would be nice. // 8

Sound: This guitar suites my music style very well. The mahogany body is great for classic rock and metal (Blues every now and then) and really makes up for the trebley pickups. Right now I'm playing out of a Fender Frontman 15G. Its a Pretty quite guitar with no hum but the pickups are pretty sensitive. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was pretty low which I liked. The has a bit of buzz but not enough to really notice. The guitar had no flaws except for a slight dent on the side of the guitar near the sound guitars. The pickup selector is not super quite but not the loud. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seams like its built well and and would be Reliable. The hard ware seems to be of good quality The strap buttons are very solid. Never gigged before so would not know if I needed a backup. The finish durable and dose not scratch easily. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a few years now. I don't have much money so the only other instrument I have is a Harmony Hummingbird Acoustic. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely get another one if I had the money. I love the it has a comfortable fell and sound. I hate nothing about it but thicker sounding pickups would be nicer. I really like the clean look of the guitar. I compared the guitar to the Epiphone Les Paul 100 I picked this one because of the set neck clean look and better sound. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014