ART100 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/20/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: ART100
ART100 features include a set-in mahogany neck, a mahogany body, tight-and-trebly Ibanez ACH humbuckers and chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 8.2
reviews (9) pictures (4) 58 comments vote for this gear:
ART100 Reviewed by: hhr, on october 05, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Not sure of what year/where this model was made, but I bought it last week and I am the first owner. I set out to buy a decently-priced single cutaway guitar and this one fit the bill. It has 22 medium frets, with a tribal-like inlay at the 12th fret. The body is made out of mahogany and the fingerboard is made from rosewood. The bridge is a fixed Gibraltar III. The pickups are nothing to shout about, but sound very nice and versatile for a $300 guitar. // 9

Sound: I play mainly rock music and this guitar is perfect for both clean and dirty sounds. The 3-way toggle Switch lets you choose the pickup configuration that fits the style you are looking for, making this guitar rather versatile in the sound department. Right now I am using this guitar through a MG100HDFX. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was set up perfect when I played it at the store. The action was just right and needed no adjustment what'soever. Ibanez makes this guitar in two colors: black and silver. I chose the silver one because I have too many black guitars as it is. I really liked the inlay at the 12th fret, as well as the absence of dot inlays on the fretboard. It gives the guitar a very simple, clean look. There were no flaws in any aspect. The knobs are all static-free, the finish is perfect, and the toggle Switch is noise-free. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would say this guitar is very reliable. I've owned Ibanez guitars in the past and have never had any problems with them. The hardware all seems very solid for a guitar in this price range. I installed a strap lock system on my guitar, but the strap buttons are solid from the factory. The finish is perfect (the black finish looks good too) and I would definitely use this guitar on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said above, I play rock music and this guitar is a perfect fit. I've been playing guitar for 2 years and have owned Ibanez basses in the past. It it were stolen, I would definitely buy another. I wanted a single cutaway guitar without breaking the bank. I looked at Agile Les Paul knockoffs on the web, and played an Epiphone Les Paul before buying this model. For the price, you cannot beat this single cutaway. The only thing I wish this guitar had was more finish options. Although the silver and black both look great. // 10

ART100 Reviewed by: Johnny Lingo, on january 25, 2010

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Made in China, 2008. Non-locking Ibanez tuners, 2 volume, 1 tone, 3 way selector.

SPECS:
NeckPU:  ACH1-S
BridgePU:  ACH2-S
HW Color:  Chrome
// 10

Sound: Has a full, clean trebly sound to both pickups, not bad for stock at the price. It is great for any kind of rock sound, from clean to lighter crunch classic to good full out metal. Lots of chunk and sustain thanks to the all mahogany build. Electronics are clean with no noise, with a good range on the tone pot. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, Fit and Finish. Really very well set up out of the factory. Action was low and intonation set. I was frankly amazed that this was a Chinese built guitar. Workmanship and finish was top notch, and made this guitar look, feel and play like one at least twice the price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very well built and sturdy guitar. It is awesome live because it is fairly thin, making it lighter than most Les Paul guitars made of good wood. All the hardware is very good quality and so far is as durable as any, as is the finish. All far better than you would expect at this price. I have opened with this guitar and done most of the gig unless needed a sound change. Anyone gigging without a backup is unprofessional, period. // 10

Overall Impression: I play older heavy metal, grunge, classic rock, blues, and some of the cooler modern stuff. This guitar fits well in all the genres. Been playing for 30 years and have had many different outfits, but stuck mainly to dual humbucker setups, with the odd tele or Strat for lighter stuff. I found over the years that the Les Pauls I mainly relied on were heavy and the necks were thick, and that there were better fits for me. When I chose this guitar, I wanted an inexpensive Ibanez that sounded like a Gibson. Mainly that I could gig with without worry and get the sound and feel I needed. I thought I was going to end up with an Epiphone or LTD, but man, I played this one and the neck was unbelievable. Sound was great for the price, then I put a pair of Seymour Duncan 59's in... I had a 72 Les Paul, all stock except for a pair of DiMarzio PAF's, that I loved and relied on, because of the sweet, sweet tone. This $350 Ibanez with a pair of 59's actually sounded a bit fuller, the same sustain, and felt better in my hand and strapped over my shouler. This guitar is perhaps the best kept secret of the guitar industry. Easily outplays guitars twice it's price, and should be the first guitar anyone buys, as all the big 'entry level' names; Squier, Epiphone, etc. have junk in the same price range. // 10

ART100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2008

Purchased from: Local music center

Features: Made in China, set neck in a nice mahogany body, silver in color. 3 way Switch, volume neck and bridge and tone dials, dual humbuckers. Overall I would give this a 9 as I intentionally bought this guitar for it's simplicity and looks. it's very clean and practical. // 9

Sound: Mostly play classic rock and B-movie show tunes. Using a Line Spider3 15w practice amp in the front room primarily. As for the sound, this is why I bought this particular guitar in the first place! it's all about the sound. I was absolutely blown away by it's rich tone. The neck humbucker carries a nice melodious sound while the bridge is more sharp. If you play heavy metal, this guitar can do that as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up was very good, just a little fine tuning needed. The pickups were good to go, while not the hottest thing I've played, for a $299 Brand New guitar, they're pretty damned good. Overall the fit and finish are excellent. I picked this guitar up thinking it was a much more expensive model, I was shocked at the finish and sound. Comes straight outta the box with D'addario strings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for a 3 months, but I have not discovered any serious gripes as of yet. The one area that could use a little more through would be the glass knobs, they're a little rough and not very smooth during the turn through. Due to the simplicity of the design I would not think there is much to go wrong. Reliability & durability would seem excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is very versatile. I'm more of a classic rock guy, but my buddy is an absolute shred monster, and he was suitably impressed with this guitar as well. As stated above, I initially thought this to be a much more expensive piece. I remember it like yesterday, a long time ago, there it was up on the wall about 10 ft up when I asked to see it. I was told, "dude, you're gonna love this thing." After a short 20 min work through, I said, "I'll take it, how much?" I was absolutely floored at the price. I was initially looking for something more rich than than my MIM Fender. I would highly recommend any one looking at an higher end Epi LP or lower end Gibson LP to take a look at this model. You will not be disapointed. // 10

ART100 Reviewed by: henkka_potku, on august 05, 2008

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: Levytukku

Features: Ibanez ART120 black Les Paul with a mahogany body, maple top, set in mahogany "ART" neck, 22 medium frets, rosewood fretboard (and a tribal in the 12th), Gibraltar III bridge with quikchange III tailpiece, chrome hardware. Pickups: IBZ LZ1-N humbucker neck and IBZ LZ1-B humbucker bridge. There's a 3-way switch, 2 volume knobs and one tone knob. // 9

Sound: This guitar is great for a big variety of music styles. It suits for blues, rock, metal etc. and it fits them like it's made just for that style. I use it through Crate 15w amp and Line 6 PODXT and it has a rich sound. The guitar is great because it's not noisy at all. I can take it off my neck and get something to eat, and leave the volume to 10 and there comes absolutely no sound. This guitar has the sounds from blues to metal when you change the mics. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set in the shop that you could jst plug and play. The bridge was pretty badly set because when bending 18th fret of the B string the sound fades. Besides that, it was pretty well adjusted. It can take damage since it has hit the wall for a couple times and it works just fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty good guitar, but it is not a gig guitar. I find myself tuning the G-string awfully often when playing Live. The hardware is good, but the 3-way switch knob likes to fall of because it's broken. The strap buttons are solid. The black finish seems to be everlasting, because it has been used for a 1, 5 years and it looks like it just came from the factory. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, and this guitar is good for playing stuff like In Flames which requires low tuning and a smooth sound of the les paul. It isn't good for playing stuff like Children Of Bodom because it has only 22 frets. I've been playing it for 1, 5 years and I use Line 6 PODXT and some random Crate 15w with it, and it feels fine. If this guitar got stolen, I would buy some else guitar, because I would like to have a change from Les Pauls. I love the way the guitar looks, sounds and plays. It is easy to play and tapping sounds really well in this guitar. I just don't like the fact that the G string gets too easily out of tune. It isn't all the time out of tune, but if you bend it really much it will drop. Overall a good practice guitar which still doesn't suit well for gigs. This is a great guitar for its price. // 9

ART100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2010

Features: I received this for Christmas this year, so it's one of the Brand New ones. Made in China. Transparent Cherry finish, all mahogany with a set neck, Rosewood fretboard, Gibraltar III bridge, ACHx-S pickups. Basically an Ibanez Les Paul, but more suited for metal. Came with an Allen Wrench. Pretty nice features for the price. // 9

Sound: I play pretty much anything, from jazz to metal, and this is pretty well suited to anything. I ran it through Garageband and my junky little SX 5-watt amp and it sounded nice on both. On the practice SX amp it gets a somewhat dirty sound on clean with the tone up all the way. If you turn the tone down to 5 or so it becomes clean. On a Drive setting it simply screams, even on the little practice amp. It's not incredibly bright because it doesn't have a maple top, but it's got a really full sound. Lots of sustain too, you can't find a set neck for this price. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I ordered this off GC's website, and had expected to need it set up in store when I picked it up. It was in great condition, despite it being shipped for a few days. I really like how it was set up out of the box. The pickups came set really accurately as well. Everything came really well. No scratches, no nothing. Pristine condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar for a little while, but I've been playing it almost nonstop since i got it, and I've accidentally banged it a few times, and it's still in the same condition I got it in. The strings are pretty deep into the bridge, it looks like it's impossible to fall out of place. The strap buttons are huge, way bigger than those on a Gibson or Fender or something, and when I was inspecting my guitar for flaws, I was having trouble getting the strap off. So yeah, it's pretty sturdy. It uses the same pickups and body pieces as guitars priced higher than it, and that makes me think it'd hold up quite well. I'd use this for a gig, No Doubt. // 10

Overall Impression: I play music by Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, the Stray Cats, and pretty much everything in between, and this guitar is a perfect match for those styles. I've been playing for a year, but I have lots of experience with music and I like to think i'm a fairly experienced player. I was looking for guitars more than double this guitar's price, and I played this one and was thoroughly impressed. It's at about the same level as a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, the silverburst model, and that one is more than double this price. If I was to say it needed one thing, I'd say it needs a maple top, and then possibly coil tap, but that's becoming pretty picky. Overall, this guitar is good for a beginner to experienced player, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it. // 9

ART100 Reviewed by: TheFUBAR, on may 11, 2011

Features: Features are: 2 pickups, set neck, mahogany body and neck, good quality finish Lp style non-locking tuners two volume one tone 3 way switch! OK! I have and gig with 4 of these Guitars All Are set up Custom by me. All have Thumbscrew style locking tuners now, and stay in Perfect tune! Pickups are not great factory, so out they went for different reasons. The first one is a cherry red and has Zakk Wylde EMGS it is a wonderful Sustaining guitar! My second one is White and is Set up with Seymour Duncan HOT Rod Jazz Set! My third is a backup to the white one, but it is silver and is Set up with Seymour Duncan HOT Rod Jazz Set as well! The fourth one is black and has Seymour Duncan Invader in Bridge and a SD Full shred in neck! I compared these to cheeper ESP Lps and the Axl blackwater Lps! These Ibanez were a little thinner and thus lighter then both the Axl or the ESPs this helps when playing for an hour or more. All guitar that I compared had the same mahogany woods and were around $300 US. // 8

Sound: I purchased these be cause I needed Gigging guitars that were cheep and could take my heavy handed Style! I play in a 3 piece Blues-Rock band. I initially purchased two, the white, and silver ones! I set them up with the pickups immediately the original pickups are in a box at back of closet LOL! I gig with a Blackheart Handsome devil Plugged into a 2x12 box! Pedals are TU-2 tuner, and 3 Marshall Pedals: a Reflector Reverb, Marshall Echohead Delay, and a Marshall Guv'nor Overdrive, oh and a Zakk Wylde Wahwah! In studio I use several Line 6 items! I rate it an 8 without the mods I've done and a 10 with my mods!!!!!!!!!!!!! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory these guitars Are Really good, but I do my own setups, and install my own pickups! But for the factory pickups for the best I can remember they had a muddy sound on clean settings at higher volumes! With distortion they are just not HOT enough for me so out they went! It has good intonation and action Factory Bridge is Gibralter quick change I like it comfortable when palm muting! Factory tuners are good but not great I installed Locking ones! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've been using these live for two years now with No troubles! I always have a backup guitar live (strings can break at really bad times LOL). Great finishes especialy the transparent cherry red no wear showing yet! I use Strap locks they are cheep insurance! // 10

Overall Impression: I get paid to play the blues!! I have fun playing rock and Metal! These are a very versatile guitar Even with Factory hardware!! No one should be afraid of these, I have been usein' them live for right at 2 years I've been playing over 12 years! Gear that I own: Well I have a 1997 Gibson Les Paul Standard gold top, a 2002 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black with gold hardware! A Fender Roadhouse Strat! A Custom built frankenstrat, and Four Ibanez Art100s. I have A 1965 Gibson GA-15RVT Amplifier and a Blackheart Handsome devil that is Plugged into a 2x12 box! Pedals are Tu-2 Tuner, and 3 Marshall Pedals, first is a Reflector Reverb, Marshall Echohead Delay, and a Marshall Guv'nor Overdrive, oh and a Zakk Wylde wahwah! In studio I also use several Line 6 items! I never use my Vintage Gibson amp anymore too rare! As I stated above I compared these to cheeper ESP Lps and Axl blackwater Lps! These Ibanez guitars were a little thinner and thus lighter then both the Axl or the ESPs this helps when playing for an hour or more. I am happy with my choice to use these Ibanez Guitars They Work great for me! // 9

ART100 Reviewed by: EPPX, on october 03, 2011

Features: I recently purchased a Ibanez ART100 in White. This guitar is Fantastic for advanced players. The model I have is a 2011 model made in China. It has a 24.75" scale length with 22 frets and a ART Mahogany set-in neck. The neck is a fat neck (a little like the old school baseball bat necks) but otherwise easy to get use to coming off of a thin wizard neck. It has medium frets with a rosewood fingerboard. It's a mahogany body with a maple top. The Bridge is a Gibraltar III bridge with a Quick Change III tailpiece, having a fixed bride helps with the sustain and tuning and the guitar is excellent with it. This guitar has Passive ACH1 is the Neck and ACH2 in bridge. It has 1 volume and 2 tone or when the selector switch is in a certain position there are 2 volumes and 1 tone; a very cool feature. // 7

Sound: I mainly play Metal Music and this guitar is perfect. With the factory strings I had the guitar in Drop C and it stayed in tune perfectly; but until recently I keep it in Drop D. This guitar has phenomenal sound from deep hard power chords, and on loud speakers the highest and lowest pinch harmonics come across very well. I use the Boss ME-25 with all of my custom metal and clean sounds and it is Rich and full. This guitar is not noisy what so ever, with the volumes on and not playing another it sounds like its all turned off. Like I said power chords are excellent and the pinch harmonics come across great. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: when I got the guitar it was perfectly in tune, the action was where I wanted it to be (which is low) and the neck was not bowed or anything like that. Nothing on the guitar was adjusted when I got it except for the tuning. There is only one flaw I notice about the guitar. The black binding around the body and neck looked a little unfinished but I barely noticed it, I had to squint and look closely to recognize it and this does not effect the guitar at all. It could only be my guitar. Everything on the guitar was perfect when I got it. The finish I got was white and there was no air bubbles in the finish or any poor paint job spots. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since I play metal music it's all very fast and heavy but at the same time switching to cleans I have no doubts that it will not handle it or let me down. I have and will always be very happy with it in any playing style. I have not played it live yet but at practices (especially my first practice with it) I put it to the test. I tried to abuse the guitar, playing hard on the strings, pinch harmonics, bends, hammer ons and pull offs etc. And just going crazy and it's still at 100%. Also I did notice after head banging and jumping around with it the screws came loose on the strap buttons; but its not big deal I tightened them tight and haven't came loose again. I can depend on this guitar live, but if you play metal I would bring a back up just in case; that could just be me. After every play, I polish and clean the guitar. But the back of the neck is still smooth and solid with out any blotches or marks after playing. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal with low tunings on this guitar and it holds up very well and suits metal really good. I have been playing it for almost 3 months and it plays like the day I got it. I also have an Ibanez SA series and other than using the SA for other tunings I never turn back to the SA. If the guitar was stolen or lost I would probably get the same one but I would question myself to get the ARZ models instead because of the pickups. I love the bridge on the guitar its comfortable and smooth, you wont have any sharp parts digging into your palm. I hate the pickups because they are your generic crappy Ibanez P.U.'s but even still they sound pretty good. When I got this guitar I was debating with the RGR420EX but I got this because I love the Les Paul shapes. // 8

ART100 Reviewed by: PiqSiq Project, on october 12, 2011

Price paid: C$ 325

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: This guitar was made in China, approx. '07. It is a Les Paul body type made of mahogany, with a set mahogany neck. Rosewood fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets, and only one inlay at the 12th fret. 2 ACH passive alnico humbuckers, chrome hardware and non-locking tuners, gibraltor bridge and stop tailpiece, 2 volume, 1 tone control, gloss black with white pinstripe. Bought off the salesroom floor, and only got a box to put it in. // 8

Sound: Guitar has great tone for a $300 Chinese made guitar. Ibanez's ACH 1 & 2 (bridge and neck) humbuckers are only as good as other makers stock entry level humbuckers (i.e. Epiphone, Peavey, etc.) Somewhat muddy at the neck and tinny at the bridge. Suitable stock for harder music, classic rock, some blues and country. Electronics are clean and smooth, and were installed well. I installed Seymour Duncan 59's and the tone is much, much better. Less crunch but much more full tone and clarity, both on low and high gain channels. I use a Peavey Vypyr modelling amp and the guitar sounds great on all of the models. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up quite well from the factory. Action was passable, pickups were proper height. Frets were finished as well as any guitar I've ever picked up, much better than any other make in this price range and equal to American made. Finish, hardware, wood cuts and all electronics, including cavities, were very professionally done. Again, far better than it's peers and equal to American quality. Quite a pleasant surprise, as this was the first Ibanez I'd owned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is quite durable and can stand gigging and traval quite well. All the hardware, strap buttons and tuners are standing up to regular use well. As dependable as any guitar I've owned. Finish is again lasting better it's peers. Amazing considering price and origin. // 8

Overall Impression: First off, understand that unless buying a high end model from one of the better manufacturers, I do not intend to use a guitar stock, in most cases. Buying this Ibanez ART100 wass such a case. On playing the guitar the first time, I was impressed with it's quality of material and manufacture. Those features came through in the feel and playability of the guitar right away. It also looked like a well made instrument, if not overly fancy. I was sure in just a few minutes that I could put a decent pair of pickups on it and it would be pretty much good to go. I play all sorts of hard rock, and a lot of blues, and I grew up on Les Pauls, so I am biased but picky. I wouldn't touch a junk LP, and now what I like and what to expect tone wise. I've been playing for decades, and now use a Peavey Vypyr modelling amp with Sanpera pedal, for most studio and gigs/jams. I have a dozen guitars, and can compare the ART100 to those and the other Gibson, Fender, PRS, type guitars I've played/owned, and for a Chinese made guitar for $325, that is true value. Far better finish, feel, materials and manufacture than a similarly priced Epiphone or Squier. A beginner or intermediate guitarist would love a guitar like this, right out of the box. // 9

ART100 Reviewed by: oldson, on march 20, 2012

Purchased from: Front Porch Music/Bakersfield Ca.

Features: Not sure of the year, probably 2011. Made in China. 22 frets, The neck is pretty small in diameter, it is mahogany with a rosewood fret board The body is also mahogany, so the specs say, doesn't look like mahogany grain to me. Gloss finish with dark, really dark cherry finish on top, the back and neck are painted black. LP style body 6.6 lbs. // 5

Sound: The sound is ok for this price range. I run it through a Carvin R600 bass amp because it has a warmer tone. The electronics are quiet with good difference between the pups. The bridge soloed too thin. The sustain for a set in neck is not the best. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar seemed to have been played a lot at the store. The slots in the nut were not even in height. I had one slot filled and refiled, its ok, have restrung guitar With Rotos 9s and am now having trouble with another string that is too low in the nut, will definitely stay away from plastic nuts from now on. Have had trouble with high or low frets. Truss rod seems ok, but haven't tried heavier strings.The finish is good except for the too dark cherry stain. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Haven't played this live yet, still working out bugs.The hardware seems solid, the toggle switch is way too stiff but feels solid The strap button screws are too short which is common on lower priced guitars. It does stay in tune very well so could probably gigged alone on a light set. The finish seems durable and feels good to the hands. // 4

Overall Impression: All things aside. I think this guitar, if being all mahogany, does not have enough wood in its construction to give it the resonance it needs, especially with the pickup appointments. If this guitar were lost or stolen I would not get another. The only thing that would make me happy with this guitar is if it were free. Also Ibanez customer service in these matters is poor at best. Don't buy it unless you can get it dirt cheap. // 1

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014