ART320 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/26/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: ART320
The Ibanez ART320 electric guitar marks a total re-approach for the Artist model. Ibanez has created an arched-top, solid-bodied guitar with a single cutaway.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.5
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (4) 20 comments vote for this gear:
ART320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2008

Purchased from: SOLO music store

Features: Made in China, 2008 NAMM model, bought today. I was looking for a single-cutaway for a long time, and checked out this Brand New axe on Ibanez site. It has 22 medium frets with special inlays. It has mahogany body with flamed maple top, set in mahogany neck. It's gorgeous shiny Transparent Grey Burst, what suprised me, as shown matte on website. It has a Gibraltar III on board, covered with chrome in 'cosmo black' colour. Looks awesome, even compared to some PRS guitars, this one rocks. Few words about pickups, they're '08 LoZ active pickups and they really suit my style, which is mostly posthardcore and punkrock. The 3-way selector provides flexibility of this guitar, as it can also suit some blues or psychobillyish sounds. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds hell much like Gibson Studio on stock pickups. Fits hard rock, metal etc, but equalized well, suits good ol' blues etc. I used a Orange head&cabinet in store and sounded very Vintage, at home I plugged it into line6 pocket POD + my crappy headphones and it was rather modern, fat mahogany tone. The ART320 is rather versatile in heavier genres, but still I wouldn't recomend it to play jazz or funk, because of the active kick-ass pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Low action, although a buzz in E and A strings made me to set-up guitar at home, which took me few minutes. Pickup selector is a bit noisy, maybe it's because of active pickups, dunno, still, it doesn't really bother me as playing mainly on bridge humbucker. Body, neck and headstock binding gives this guitar a deluxe look, haven't noticed any flaws yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I move a lot when playing on rehearsals or gigs, so I have lots of requirements in this part. The strap buttons need some straplocks in my opinion, but if you're a calm kid with no hyperactivity, they'll be ok. I would definitely use it without a backup on a gig, as it's solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hardcore and it's a perfect match. I play it through a Line6 Pocket POD, and it's awesome. I replaced my Squier Strat with this axe, and if it were stolen, I bet I would kill motherf.. Who was so brave to do that. I love this guitar and I'm sure it will last long. With a ~350 pounds budget, you can't have anything better. // 10

ART320 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2009

Purchased from: Ken Stanton Music Roswell

Features: The Ibanez ART-300 is a single cutaway guitar from Ibanez. Manufactured in China starting in 2008. This guitar features a Mahogany body with a Maple top. The ART-300 also features a 22 fret Diamond inlay rosewood fingerboard. The Gibraltar III Bridge in combination with the dual active LoZ-1 humbucker pickups. The pickups are powered by 2 AA batteries. Controlling the tone are two volume nobs one to control each pickup and one tone pickup. // 9

Sound: With the band I play with we typically play everything from Hard Rock, Jazz, Reggae, and Disco. This guitar has a great sounds great on all levels. It has a harder full sound than my other guitars but is capable of playing a bright clean sound as well. The ART-300 is TRULY a well rounded guitar capable of playing any Genre you can play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I brought this guitar back from guitar store I went to set it up the way I liked my guitar. The action was too high but with 5 minute change I had lowered it to a level I like. After tuning I noticed that the tuning peg on the G stings would stick and over-tune. With a 30 second adjustment I was able to take care of that issue. One I started playing I found that the guitar responded very well to anything I could throw it's way. The one thing I did notice is that for cleaner sounds I had to play little lighter. The one thing I was very impressed with was the fact that no matter what I played after 2 hours of playing. This guitar was still in tune!!! I expect to have to tune a guitar a couple of times during a show. But this guitar will stay tuned for a full set. The finish on this guitar is gorgeous. Everything about it is just sharp looking. After my first show, I got compliments from most of my friends on the look of this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid. I have played 2 gigs with it so far and have played at least 8 practices with not to forget the hours I play at home. This guitar is well built and I believe I will be having it for years to come. I played two gigs with this guitar without any issues. I did not have my backup with me. The only thing I would be sure to do is have backup batteries for the pickups. But outside of that I have full confidence in only having this guitar with me during a gig. The only issue I had was with the G string tuning peg. But that was fixed in 30 seconds with a screwdriver. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for me. For the price you can not beat the quality and finish of this guitar. I looked at and played everything from LTD EC-1000, the new Gibson Les Paul Studio. After spending 6 months of playing and looking through reviews. I settled on the ART-300. I am ecstatic with my purchase and do not regret it for one second. The only thing I regret would be not waiting for the 2009 models to come out. They have some sharp looking options on this years models. // 10

ART320 Reviewed by: Mirakus, on june 09, 2008

Features: I believe this is the 2008 model, made it China. I believe the fretboard is rosewood but I'm not too sure; it has 22 frets. It has Ibanez brand active pickups which do sound pretty nice, although the guitar seems like it doesn't have much in the way of sustain, perhaps as a result of the actives. There is a 3-way selector Switch on this baby, and switching the pickups does give you a good variety of sounds. The tuners are pretty darn good. I have had some issues with the guitar slightly edging out of tune, but if you're careful not to knock the tuning pegs you should be alright. The finish is beautiful on this thing and the inlays are awesome! Set neck is also great! This thing also did not come with any tools or a case. I wound up buying a case for it, but I'm disappointed with the case because it doesn't fit the guitar perfectly. Apparently there is no case made for this guitar since it is still kind of lower end. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of metal and hard rock stuff, as well as some traditional rock. I think this thing works magic. Using the bridge pickup can really give you the type of sounds you need for metal, and using the the neck or middle position will give you good blends for things like classic rock and blues. Overall, I don't think this is the greatest guitar for metal I've ever heard, but it still sounds great. Normally I use a Fender Stage 112 with a Boss chorus pedal and the amp distortion on that model. I'm looking forward to trying out some new amps. The guitar seems like it does produce quite a bit of feedback, but I'm always standing practically right next to my amp at band practices. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have been more or less completely happy with the setup of this guitar. There have been no issues with the nut slots being cut improperly, intonation issues, etc. It came from the factory with D'Adario strings, which I was happy with as that is my main string brand. When I bought the guitar, it more or less looked perfect. I could see an area around the neck join that looked a little "stressed" but it didn't look too bad and I bought the guitar. Now, after having the guitar a couple of months, I am seeing some stress on the binding along the neck, but it hasn't caused a playability problem yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar at a weekly (sometimes more) band practice and I've never had an issue with it yet. It really feels solid and reliable. Quite honestly, the only thing that worries me about this guitar is that it is a China model. Everything about it is more or less solid, I just worry about that because I've gotten to the point where I don't always trust Chinese products because of failures in the past. The strap buttons seem great, but for those of you Who like to move around a lot, I would recommend strap locks. I have maneuvered in certain directions before and almost had the strap come off (with my strap straight). Everything I have seen with this guitar seems to echo quality, other than the fretboard binding looking a little stressed, but I still love the instrument and hope it will be one of my main guitars for years to come. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of hard rock and metal and this might not be the best guitar for that. I still feel that it works great for me because a lot of my riffing is similar to an older Tool type of style, and this thing sounds fantastic for stuff like that. I have been playing (on a serious level) for probably about 11 years and have been through a few guitars. I had a couple of Ibanez GAX70's at one point but they've now been retired. I've also recently purchased a cheaper Dean as a "learn how to set up and do electronics" guitar. The ART320 is without a shadow of a doubt the nicest electric I have ever owned. I may have hinted at disappointment, but make no mistake, I am totally happy with the guitar. If someone was to steal this instrument, I would be very upset to say the least. I really love this guitar because it looks killer, sounds great (very versatile array of sounds possible if you fully play with the knobs and pickup selection), and is reasonably light. I feel that it was worth every penny I spent. // 10

ART320 Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 03, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I bought this guitar a little over a year ago from Musician's Friend, Brand New. I bought the silver color instead of the black. They now make it in white as well. Not sure where it was made. 22 jumbo frets, Gibraltar III, tribal inlay at the 12th fret. This guitar is a single-cut design made from mahogany. It has a 3-way Switch that controls the dual humbuckers, each pickup has a volume knob, with a single tone knob. // 9

Sound: This model is very versatile. I play rock and metal and it fits perfectly. I have used this guitar on many amps, including a 6150, Crate V18, Crate Blue Voodoo, and a Peavey Windsor. The one thing I noticed, is that the tone control gets very muddy on a high gain tube amp if you dial it in below 5. I usually keep mine above that, so no worries. Like I said, very versatile guitar. Pinch harmonics are awesome on this guitar, easier to get out than any other guitar I own. Only thing I would change would be the pickups, the aren't the best... but most stock pickups aren't. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This model came from the factory setup very well. I put heavier strings on it, so I had to raise the action a bit. Pickups were fine for stock, but definitely the downfall of the guitar. Finish looks good, as does the tribal inlay and absence of fret markers. I wish the white finish was out when I bought this guitar, I would have gotten that one instead! Silver looks good as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar Live many times, no problems what'soever. The hardware is decent from the factory. I plan on modding this guitar now that it's not my 'new' guitar anymore. Strap buttons were solid from the factory, I always put straplocks on my guitars though... no exceptions. If I played in one tuning, I would definitely use this guitar at a gig without a backup. Finish seems like it will last. I keep mine in a case so it's still perfect... all finish will eventually wear though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, and this guitar is a perfect fit for both. The neck pickup is really warm and bassy so this guitar can be used for many other kinds of music. I've been playing for a few years now, bass even longer. This was the first non-pawn-shop guitar I've owned and I love it. I would definitely buy a white one if something happened to this one, for $299 your not going to find a better single-cut-design guitar in my opinion. The only thing I wish this guitar had was better pickups from the factory. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ DT520 Destroyer 8.3 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014