Artcore AF75 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/24/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Artcore AF75
The Box That Rocks! The first hollowbody guitars designed to rock and better yet, they are amazingly affordable. You get the rich, complex tones of a full hollow body, yet the AF75 features a narrower body width for comfort. Take it from Jazz to Rock and everything in between.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 8.8
 8.2
 8.8
 7.6
reviews (5) pictures (1) 38 comments vote for this gear:
Artcore AF75 Reviewed by: dkoch, on july 19, 2006

Features: This guitar throws in alot of decent archtop features for a low price. It's a Chinese-made guitar, but it still isn't a cheap knockoff of what a nice rock or jazz guitar should be. I don't know for sure if it is hard-top or laminate (this is my first acoustic, only own 2 guitars, and its has finish that doesn't really tell you much about the wood), but has a full, loud sound. It has 22 frets, maple body, mahogany neck, blue to black finish, a small single cutaway on a fairly large body for an electric archtop, a tune-o-matic bridge, active electronics, 2/2 volume and tone knobs, and two chrome humbuckers. It gives all the features of an acoustic while still maintaining the abiltity to bite when plugged in. // 9

Sound: Unplugged the guitar has a bright and loud sound. It has a slightly metallic twang. Plugged in it uses that twang with a little distortion from my amp to make a tone worthy of Malcolm Young, and fits my AC/DC playing quite well. The pickups could be a little clearer, but I do have to take into account all the feedback thats probably coming at it with such a large sound cavity, but its something I can live with. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guy at the Guitar Center set up everything for me well. All the hardware was fine and sturdy, but I removed the pickguard anyway, because I like the look and could play easier without it. There was a fairly large scratch on the bottom that I noticed later, but its not something that anyone but you could really notice. The tuners are kind of weird shaped, I would have preffered smaller and rounder ones. The knobs are fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is sturdy. I haven't put hardly any noticeable scratches or dings in the six months I've had it. The chrome hardware doesn't tarnish or scratch easily. The strap buttons are sturdy, but haveing the neck-side one on the back of the body kind of worries me about slipping, though it hasn't happened. I would probably bring a spare to a gig, but that's pretty much true of any guitar I use. The finish isn't really wearing much. // 8

Overall Impression: I play AC/DC-style rock 'n' roll and this guitar has the sound I need. It also is great for when I want to quiet down and play some lighter stuff, or work on my playing without blowing out the windows. I have have been playing for 2 1/2 years, and play with a 30 watt. Spider II. I also own a Strat-copy and a Peavey rage amp that I started playing on. I don't know if I would buy this guitar again if it was stolen, I love trying different guitars, but I'm glad I have it. Not really, I hadn't really seen any attractive archtops in my price range except an Epiphone, but it didn't have a deep enough body. Overall this is an awesome guitar for the guy Who has been playing for a couple years. // 9

Artcore AF75 Reviewed by: gibsonplyr202, on march 05, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This guitar is pretty good for guitarists looking for a blue's sound look and feel. The pickups aren't active but the neck is pretty slim which fits my hand well. It's a semi-hollowbody so if there is ever no amp lying around, you can still play and hear it well. It's a pain to change strings though because the bridge is floating, so if you take them all off, it's hard to put them all back on. // 9

Sound: The sound is pretty good. I play it through a Crate Retrofex, which I soon hope to be switching out with a DA15 for college. There really isn't that much noise on the pickup selector. The neck pickup is very bright sounding with distortion, but the bridge pickup is that great. I mean, come on, they're passive. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I personally like the action on the guitar, but it gets a little buzzy sounding with low strings on low frets. I find that it's good for quick licks and chording alike. The people in the factory didn't really do that bad of a job. I find the pickups to be fine and haven't found any current flaws with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think that this would withstand any Live show, so long as you don't pull a Townshend on it. With the music that I play, Ican't really see myself throwing this thing and myself halfway across the stage, so I guess I'm not the one to ask. I wouldn't use a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I like classic blues rock. Cream and the Yardbirds are a couple to name a few, so this is a pretty good guitar for me. The only problem is that the cutaway is too high up the neck. The upper register is a pain to reach. If I lost this, or it was stolen, I probably wouldn't buy a new one. I'd just buy something with a better cutaway position, like a Les Paul or SG. // 8

Artcore AF75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This is a beautiful guitar. Off of musiciansfriend.com you get the choice of Red or Blue finish (400 usd) or a classic Black finish (300 usd). I personally went with the classic Black, it's cheaper because you can't see the pick-up guards as well as on the Red or Blue models. It's a bulky guitar and sounds absolutely amazing with a few tone adjustments- I play Indie Rock and I've neevr been disappointed by this guitar. The Neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard and block pearl inlays starting at the first fret. The Body is maple top with 2 F-holes. To string this beast you need to handle the bigsy style tremelo arm and tailpiece, which is a lot easier than may be perceived. Sadly, I didn't get any accessories, but considering the price I paid for such an amazing guitar, I feel like I ripped Ibanez off. // 9

Sound: The 3-way pickup selector and tone control allow this guitar to go from pristine and crystal clear to a wide range of possible distortions. The semi-hollow body on this thing makes the distortion resonate immensely, kicking the volume up a notch without sacrificing anything in sound. I play a general mix of Foo Fighters and Silversun Pickups through a Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube, and this sounds like heaven. I own a Mexican made Strat, which is versatile enough and I'll choose this over my Strat for pretty much any gig. The sound can be completely manipulated for your sound so don't let me choice of music discourage you. The only genre I wouldn't recommend this for is metal, because you have somewhat of a hard time getting past the 19th fret (the cutaway joins here). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The moment this came out of it's package it sounded great. Everything was in fantastic condition, I almost didn't believe it traveled across the country. The looks make it beautiful, and all the attention to detail to keep the tremelo working perfectly paid off abundantly. Everything was tight and in place, I read a lot of reviews before buying this guitar saying when they received it, it wasn't in good condition. Maybe I got lucky, but that's a chance you take when you order something offline. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar Live at some local bars and I'm a bouncy fellow, and this guitar has held itself. During practice sometimes I'll end up moving around too much- and this guitar has never let me down. Not a single fault with this guitar for me. Everything seems extremely durable and of great quality. The finish is of nice depth and won't wear off from common playing. I generally don't use backup guitars at shows, and this has become my fronting guitar. The only time I would need a backup is if I'm pushing a set too much and popped a string, and this guitar has been pushed a lot and I am yet to pop a string from rugged playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me. I'm not a veteran when it comes to music, I've only been playing guitar for about 5 years. I would replace this if lost or stolen without a doubt in my mind. If you want a hard rocking guitar with a kick, or simply a guitar to play like an acoustic, get this. I promise you it's worth it. // 10

Artcore AF75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2008

Purchased from: EBay

Features: Semihollow, 22 Frets, typical Ibanez neck(a little fatter than other brands) laminated. I got the Orange laminated finish with cream pickguard, passive humbuckers, tunomatic bridge and a volume and tone knob for each pickup. It is such a great looking guitar, and people compliment it all the time when I gig. Mine came with the Ibanez case. // 8

Sound: Great for rhythm guitar for any genre! With distortion, it has this great crunchy classic rock sound with a bit of fuzz in it. Love the tone! Clean sounds great too, think early Beatles. I run it through a little Ibanez 50W amp and it sounds great. You can get anything from light jazz tones to really heavy distortion, but the feedback from this thing is a little rediculous sometimes and causes problems if you want to crank up your gain or volume on the overdrive channel. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said, this is a great rhythm guitar, but I found that I outgrew it pretty quickly as my lead/solo abilities progressed. It plays very much like an acoustic, so if you want to play ripping leads, look elsewhere. Also, the higher frets are there, but you can't reach them! Forget about touching the top 5 frets on each string... // 6

Reliability & Durability: A very durable guitar! I've definitely put it through some hell, dropped it, knocked it, left it in a hot/freezing trailer during tours and it's lasted. After 3 years of having it, and treating it so poorly it's just now starting to have slight intonation problems! // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock n roll with a little metal influence in there. When I first got it, I was mostly playing riffs and rhythm parts, but now that I'm more confident with playing solos I'm definitely looking for a faster guitar. If it got stolen, I probably would not replace it, I'd get something else. // 7

Artcore AF75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2011

Purchased from: local music shop

Features: I've had this guitar for a little over two years, and its brought me a long way. Ibanez is a japanese made guitar, but don't judge. Its got 22 frets, the action is unbeleivable and very comfortable for begginers and experts. Mine is blue to black finish, and it shows greasy fingerprints horrible but darn near impossible to scratch. Its a semihollow body, humbucker pickups.. I'm not so fond of the neck pickup only unless I'm playing high notes. 3 way selector and 4 volume control knobs. // 9

Sound: I'm infatuated with its sound. I play heavy metal, lamb of god for example, and i use the Ibanez smah box pedal, and a Vox AD15VT tube amp. And the Legend about hollow bodys and Vox amps is true, it sounds incredible for metal, blues, jazz, everything. Every once in a while you get some buzzing tho... I've noticed in the winter you get way more feedback for some reason, but when it warms up outside it seems to warm up its sound. The tone is beautiful especally when playing acoustic. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When i got it the action was a tad high for my liking, but the floating bridge allowed me to adjust it. At the same time the floating bridge can be a pain when changing strings. The only problem I've had was the fretboard began seperating from the neck on the side with the low e, and the guitar was just lying down on my bed. Now theres a two inch long crack in the paint. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar sounds way better the more sound that goes into it, so live playing is for sure a yes. I recently had an issue with the bottom strap button where the screw did not fit the hole anymore, so I super glued it right back in. I would certainly have a backup for this guitar, and the finish is like the skin of a tank. // 7

Overall Impression: About a year ago, I had a guy who has been playing for over fifty years play my guitar and use my vox, and he was so impressed with the sound that he said that it will be his next purchase. Another buddy of mine who hates Ibanez and sticks to Gibson said that my Ibanez was an incredable exception to his theory with ibanez. Guitars. With playing on alot of distortion, you gotta find a sweet spot for it to sound like that perfect metal tone. It helps alot if you have a noise gate. If it were stolen, I'd be very sad and replace sometime long afterwords, I'd rather find another hollow body I could enjoy. Theres nothing I hate about it, but there is alot to love about it. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S1520 8.2 Electric Guitars 04/23/2014