Artcore AF85 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/30/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Artcore AF85
Flamed maple top, back, and sides. Set mahogany neck. Bound rosewood fretboard. 22 large frets. ACH1 humbucker at the neck. ACH2 humbucker at the bridge. Chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.4
 9.5
 7.3
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Artcore AF85 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2004

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: A new model, w/ 22 frets. W/ a solid frame and a sweet tone. It's 2-volume 2-tone knob and 3-way selector are a classic addition to the amazing sound of this guitar. There are front and rear humbuckers on this baby that pack an awesome sound. It has a stain finish with a clearcoat on top, and it makes a beautiful guitar. It has a tailpiece, which adds to the violin shape. // 10

Sound: Because I play all kinds of music, I experimented with this guitar. It can play Everything. This guitar is an all round guitar and works in all situation. I've played everything from country to death metal. It seriously works every way you want it to. It's full sound, which can be changed from/with bright and low sounds using the tone knobs is insane. You can enunciate everything on this guitar. It's one of the best I've picked up in a long time. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfectly set up in the factory. Pickups adjusted perfected. Ok bridge, needed some adjustment on the low A, but got that working with the easy bridge configurations. This guitar came to me, ready to play. I hooked it up, tuned, and jammed out to all kinds of music. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand live playing. I'll take this one on stage time after time. The hardware'll take a bump or 10, but I'm sure it won't take a smash to the wall. The strap buttons were solid. Because we're talking a hollowbody, the finish might come a little rubbed off, but we shouldn't have any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: I play every kind of music from blues to death metal. It works perfectly for all kinds of music. I've been playing for a couple years, and it handles just as good as a Gibson. If this guitar was stolen I would totally buy it again. It does everything I want it to. The only thing I wish this thing has is a whammy bar, even though I hate them, it doesn't have a slot for it. That's about the only downside. Amazing guitar. Just amazing. // 10

Artcore AF85 Reviewed by: nathan_1, on september 30, 2008

Features: My Ibanez AF-85 was built in 2001, it has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with a mahogony set neck. It has a hollow body, with 2 humbucking pick-ups. The finish is Natural wood, with a gretch white falcon body. It has a floating bridge with a tune-o-matic. The electronics are passive with 1 ACH1 and a ACH2. There are 2 volume and 2 tones switches with a 3-way Switch. I personally feel that there are TOO many knobs, and it's annoying to keep moving the wrong one. I alos got a very nice case for it free of charge (Y). // 9

Sound: I play metal, simple as. But I do tend to dabble in abit of blue and acoustic. This guitar is PERFECT for blues. The hollow body makes for a perfect acoustic sound too. It has a very rich sound and is a pleasure to play. I play it through a Line6 Spider III 112W on 'green' clean setting. It sounds amazing, no feedback unless you add distorion and stand about 3 feet away from the amp. I even tried pitched harmonics on it... it works! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought my guitar from a store which couldn't sell it. The strings were very oxidised and rusty, and the action was awful. The store I bought it from was in spain (I went on holiday and ended up coming back with a guitar). The Pick-Ups were set up good. but the strings and action where disgusting. It took a while to get used to the floating bridge, as it's quite different to a floyd-rose (not only because it isn't a vibrato bridge). The guitar had no other faults I am happy to say. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will do great for Live playing, but I always carry a spare guitar. The Glossy finish does wear off, so do try and not scratch it. The hardware will last. I've had mine 2 years. And it hasn't failed me yet. the elctronics are solid, and shouldn't break unless you want them to. The strap buttons are good, they are well placed and help for Live playing, I would normally put locking strap bolts, but I am afraid to do so because of the hollow body. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I play metal. This isn't REALLY the guitar for metal players. BUT if you do crank it up to a distortion effect, It does pack a mean punch. I've been playing for about 7 years or so, I own a - ESP AX Custom - Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR - and for a amp I own a LINE6 Spider III 112W. - plus a lot of random pedals. If this guitar was stolen. I would hunt the guy down and steal it back, after making him listen to me play it infront of him. I love the finish, the sound and nearly everything. But I do hate the fact that it does not have a vibrato bar. I would of loved a bigsby bridge. I would honestly compare this to a gretch. I have played a gretch and this and I do belive I prefer the Ibanez. I would really recommend buying this guitar and treating it as your best friend, it truly is worth it. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014