Artcore AFS75T Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/10/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Artcore AFS75T
The Ibanez Artcore AFS75T electric guitar is a true hollow-body at a truly nice price. Killer finishes, full body/neck/head/F-hole binding, and precision-inlaid pearl bars on the rosewood fretboard make it look fabulous.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (4) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Artcore AFS75T Reviewed by: Murderous_Mind*, on july 02, 2008

Price paid: C$ 415

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: This guitar was made in 1955 in China. It has 22 larg frets on a maple fret board. The body is a hollow body of mahogany and is interchangeable between acustic and electrc. It gives an amazing sound quality distorted or not and I think personaly is just as good as an Iceman or Stratacaster. But the one flaw on this guitar is the wammy bar. You use the wammy twice and you gotta re tune your guitar drasticly like I am talking about it throwing it off a quarter of an octave. Otherwise I would recomend this guitar for more experienced players, and it's got that old Vintage look to it and play anything from soft jazz to black metal. // 10

Sound: The sound is amazing. I would comapir the sound quaility to that of an Iceman. It can be noisy or quiet depends on what ur playing. The sound quality is very flexable and can play anything on this guitar and sound amazing. I am currenty using it with a standard 10 watt amp and it sounds really nice otherwise the bigger the amp the better the sound. It has a rich full sound as well as a twangy sound depending on the tone, tuning and set up of the amp or guitar other wise very satisfactry. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well with a suspended bridge and the wammy bar. The pickups were well adjusted and working great no problems and no feed back. Absoulty no flaws. The only Flaw on the guitar was the wammy bar due to every time you use it, it throws your tuning off and when you use it twice it drops your tuning a quarter octive which isnt very metal especialy in the middle of a gig. The guitar has a very nice finish and an anti rust hardwear. The finish on the guitar was made to last. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar was made for Live playing No Doubt about that, the hard ware was built to last so I imagine that it'll last as long as the wood will and the strap buttons are solid but only need a lil tightening from time to time as with all guitars. As for the finish you would have to use a very sharp razor blade to get it off, even then you would take wood with it. Very nicely done. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from the animals to Slayer and is a very good match for any type of music. I have been playing for five years and own a Yamaha basic electric guitar, a Yamaha acustic guitar that came out in the sixtys and another Ibanez XPT700. If this guitar was lost or stolen I'd buy another two just in case. I compaired it to The XPT700 and the iceman and it's right up there with them, it doesn't have the price tag like them but it has the name and the quality. I only wish it would label the knobs for volume and tone and which ones due to there is 4. // 10

Artcore AFS75T Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2010

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Allens

Features: This model was made in 08/09. The original thin body Artcores were great, but Ibanez stopped producing them at their bargain masement price in multiple versions, and cut the models wit hthe tremlo down to two, the Red and the Western Grey...at much higher prices. I got mine online way below RRP..so I'm happy. Construction of this guitar is flawless. There are NO quality issues with this guitar at all. THe Bigsby Lic Tremlo is great, and looks very cool. It will send you out of tune if you hang on it all night, but thta's what tuner pedals are for, a quick 30sec retune and you're back in action. The floating saddle can be a challenge if your stupid enough to pull off all your stings at once, but there is ample adjustment for action and innotation. Stock pickups are great, good output and nice tone...no noise...which is a plus. Tuners are sealed and seem OK, only time will tell here. // 10

Sound: Sound is excellent and versitile. I play Rock, alternative, and a bit of retro 80's stuff and it all works. Bridge pickup is nice and bright, middle and neck do blend together a little, the neck beeing very bassy (is that a word?). I run it into a rack of effects for live work, Morley Power Wah/Volume, Ibanez Lead Distortion, Boss Chorus, Behringer Flanger, Behringer Digital Delay, EQ, Compressor/sustain and I have a noise surpressor, but it rareley gets turned on...I just don't need it. All this runs into a Laney TF700 120Watt Tube Fusion HEad and a quad cab. I love the sounds I can get out of this ibanez. It's full, rich, and screams when you want it to. It does also tend to scream when you don't want it to, so you have to tune your rig to ensure you only get wailing feedback during nirvana and white stripes. Get yourself an EQ pedal, and you'll be right. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Amazing quality guitar. I played Gretsch and Epiphone models, and quite frankly, they were no where near the finish of the ibanez. To be honest, I wanted an Epiphone Wildcat, that was what my heart desired, but after playing them, I had to buy the Ibanez. Setup from the factory was great, just a little adjustment. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use it for gigs, and plan on using it for a long time. Love it. Everything seems solid and reliable. The jack worked a little loose, but tightened up fine. Finish is brilliant, and I don't expect it to wear too quickly...not that that is a concern. Would I use it without a backup...no...I wouldn't use any guitar without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 20 years on and off. THis was the first guitar I have bought in the last 15! I fell in love, and ever since, my Strat has been sitting quietly in the corner, waiting for me to return from this affair with my Ibanez. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy another, but it would have to be as great as the one I have. My favourite feature is it's sound, looks, playability and versatility... This guitar will become a classic one day. Amazing instrumnet. // 10

Artcore AFS75T Reviewed by: midimcnasty, on april 23, 2008

Features: Basic entry level semi-hollow. Twin humbuckers. Separate tone and volume controls for each pickup. 2007 Chinese made. These are all pretty much the same from the factory with the exception that some come with the Bigsby type tremolo. 3-way selector switch, and separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. No accessories. // 8

Sound: The sound is quite versatile. Sounds great plugged in through various amps. My main practice amp with this guitar is the Ibanez TBX15R. Together they produce some nice tones. Though the pickups can be a little muddy at times, and occasionally a tiny bit of feedback. Nothing unpleasant though. I play a large variety of styles, and this fits most of them fairly well. I would not recommend it as a Metal Machine, as higher fret access is a little problematic, especially for an intermediate player like myself. But if you don't spend a lot of time flying around above the 18-19 fret it should be no problem. Unplugged it does fairly well. A bright slightly metallic tone, very jazzy. It definitely projects mush better unplugged than the Dot Studio I played around with in the same price range. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on this is where this guitar shines (figuratively and literally) I have the Red sunburst version and it is spectacular. Very nice finish. The Frets I suspect are "jumbo" and with the loose bridge and tensioner setup it requires the action to be a little higher than I prefer from the factory. A luthier can soon set this up for anyones preference(which I recommend). I would not recommend this for a first guitar purchase unless the buyer has a knowledgeable or experienced player available to them. As the non fixed bridge/saddle can be require some setup and adjustment. While I find it easy to maintain at time of string change and basic setup. I think a true beginner may find this a little more work than with say a Standard acoustic. I have owned in a little about six weeks now, and still have not noticed any flaws in construction. I can see that if/when the tuners wear down, I would probably upgrade them. And I enjoy this guitar enough that I will do some upgrading/customizing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not done any live playing or subjected this guitar to more than just a months practice type environment. Like the other Ibanez I own it seems well constructed (especially for the price. The finish has held up well. I am considering removing the pick guard though. It seems to generate a little noise/vibration during heavy play, and I image acoustically this guitar will resonate better without it. The pick guard is not snug and is the only construction part I am not impressed with. Which is a shame because I love the looks of it. I feel that with the beautiful finish the pick guard is kinda like putting cheap hubcaps over a nice set of rims. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is another great value from Ibanez. I find that as I add guitars to my collection I am becoming a fan of Ibanez, the offer great value for price, and in this guitar I think they have done that again. While I have not fallen in love with this guitar as I have with my EW20ASENT, I would likely purchase this one again if I lost it. As a side note, as friend of mine purchased one the same week as I did, his had the Bigsby style tremolo, which has been a little more problematic, as the tremolo with a lot of use will allow the non fixed bridge to float on the guitar a bit and could cause some tuning intonation issues, particularly with the drop tunings. So again I would say not the right choice for a metal machine doing dive bombs and upper fret craziness. But then again if that's your thing why would you be looking at semi hollow (this is actually more a full hollow)a jazz box. In summary: this guitar did not/does not take my breathe away like the Ibanez EW20ASENT acoustic did. But overall a great semi for the price. // 8

Artcore AFS75T Reviewed by: danielnormanmun, on july 10, 2014

Price paid: A$ 800

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: Mine is a red 2012 AFS75T made in China. It has 22 medium frets, a beautifully finished and smooth playing mahogany neck that makes me want to practice. The vintage vibrato unit has a cool art-deco meets steampunk look to it and is very functional. I just finished seeing if I could do the dive in The Black Keys "Lonely Boy" riff using the tremolo instead of the usual pedal. Obviously doesn't sound the same, but doable. Things like "Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra - or anything subtle - sound great with this trem. The adjustable roller saddles work great in combination and make it very easy to adjust intonation.

The guitar comes with a 3 way pickup selector, 2 tone and 2 volume knobs. Standard as chips. The tuners are non-locking, functional and sturdy. They haven't needed replacing and don't go out of tune but with tuners it's always a time-will-tell thing in my experience. Ask me again in 5 years. // 9

Sound: Sounds great for blues, rock, jazz and pop. I find it to be very versatile, which is important to me. This thing can sound sweet and pure, crunchy and full, thin and cutting, whatever I want it to really. There is no noise that I can find, which is golden after owning a telecaster that just would not stop buzzing to some extent.

I can see why the pickups could be described as bland, there is not a lot of individual character to them. They just sound like what I expect pickups to sound like. Nothing more, nothing less. I really like this aspect. It gives me a blank canvas to work with. If I want the guitar to stick out, I can impart the character through the amp settings, pedals, or my playing. If I just want a standard sound, I have that as default. After fully redoing the electronics in my last guitar, I can see that this one will probably make me buy it some new capacitors and pots. The tone knobs could be more responsive for my taste, as could the volume. This is me nit-picking though, ymmv. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The intonation needed a bit of fiddling on mine, but with the adjustable bridge it took all of 5 minutes. Also, the strings stuck a little in the nut, which graphite fixed but I might widen the string slots at some point. It can be hard to rate a factory set-up, as most people like their guitar set up slightly differently. For me, the action is perfect, the pickup height is perfect, I haven't even changed the strings yet, which means that they must be not too shabby either (though they are getting pretty dull at this point). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a few hits - I've already dropped it once and dinged it on a few tables, doors and walls - it has survived unscathed. This is a pre-requisite for any musical gear I use, because inevitably it is going to take some knocks while on the road. The hardware feels sturdy. I'd definitely use this at a small gig without a backup. I've had it out, plugged into an amp while writing this review and my 21 month old daughter has been plucking, twisting and banging away at it on the floor. It's not child proof, but you could say it's child resistant. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been singing and playing guitar for a living for the last 10 years - a huge range of genres, venues, and audience sizes. I don't tend to spend a lot of money on musical instruments - my most expensive guitar is a moderate Martin acoustic which was only about $2500 AUD new. Also, though I've played guitar for 18 years, my main instrument is definitely vocals. If you're a guitar sound connoisseur, take my review with a grain of salt.

I played quite a few other guitars before deciding on this one. Some American Fender Teles, Strats, Gretsch hollowbodies and a few others. This one felt and sounded the best to me without spending 4 times more money. If this was stolen, I would definitely get another. It can be hard for me to find a guitar that I enjoy playing when I do it all the time as a job. This guitar and my Martin acoustic, make me want to pick up the guitar. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ DT520 Destroyer 8.3 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014