Artcore AK95 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/06/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Artcore AK95
You can produce a nice range of tones with this guitar, from a nice clean, almost acoustic type sound to a gritty dirt blues. It is a great value for money and does what it does very well.
 7.4
 6.8
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Artcore AK95 Reviewed by: TDBB, on june 06, 2014

Features: The Ibanez AK95DHS (Dark Honey Sunburst) is a full-hollow body electric guitar based on Gibson's ES-175, etc. It's a well finished and gorgeous looking instrument which features a Spruce top as well as back and sides. Rosewood fingerboard, bridge and tailpiece. The instrument came with it's original, custom hard case.

- Neck: 3-piece Artcore DX set-in neck
- Neck Type: Artcore Set-In
- Body: Spruce top, Flamed Maple back and sides
- Body Width: Maximum width at lower bout: 15.75"
- Body Thickness: Max body thickness: 3.625"
- Frets: Large frets
- Pickup Name: ARTCORE 1
- Pickup Position: Neck
- Pickup Construction: Humbucking
- Pickup Magnet: Ceramic
- Description: Clean sounding with a slight overdrive.
- Bridge Pickup: ACH2 bridge pickup
- Pickup Name: ARTCORE 2
- Pickup Position: Bridge
- Pickup Construction: Humbucking
- Pickup Magnet: Ceramic
- Description: Bridge version of AC1
- Hardware Color: Gold
- Original Ibanez Hard Case // 8

Sound: I play a lot of blues and this guitar (although it is/was marketed as a jazz instrument) has the sound I want for about half of all of my songs. I can produce a nice range of tones with this guitar, from a nice clean, almost acoustic type sound to a gritty dirt blues. When I saw it at the shop I was taken by it's looks, a Ted Nugent kinda thing, I liked that, I asked the guy if I could try it and he set it up in the soundproof booth through a Fender Twin, sounded pretty good to me, that's all I needed so I took the guitar home and called it Sylvia (my wife's middle name... I always liked that name), on the way home I had this tune and a verse swirling around inside my head, as soon as I walked in the door I plugged the guitar in and started putting a backing track down so I didn't lose the train of thought, then laid down drums rhythm guitar, bass, vocal and finally lead guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had this guitar for 4 or 5 years now and apart from the routine string replacement I only needed to adjust the floating bridge once to get the right intonation. Basically still as it was when I brought it home... Spot on. I opened the case fitted the strap, plugged it in and recorded one track. Let's not kid ourselves, this is not a $5000.00 bucks Gibson, this guitar was made in China and it was valued at under $1.000.00 bucks at the time. But I gotta tell you this guitar feels nice, looks nice and plays nice... That's all I ask for, I'm not a "brand" person, I don't buy to impress, I just wanna play Blues and this guitar does exactly that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said before... I play a lot of Blues and only had it for 4-5 years, nothing to report so far. Still plays like it did the first day... I do look after it tho. It's my tool, my workhorse, and like a tradesman that cares for his/her drills and spanners, I look after my guitars. I replaced the original strap buttons with locks. Nothing wrong with the buttons, I just had $27.00 to spend on a new set of gold locks. The finish still looks good, seems pretty good quality to me, hasn't worn or faded or whatever. If stolen or lost I would definitely look for it and try replace it with another one if available, that's for sure. I do enjoy this guitar. Although I've read a bit about the pups fitted to this guitar I reckon they sound good and suit what I do... I do depend on this guitar for quite a few of my tracks, about 50% while the other 50% is taken up my my other battle axe, a Fender HSS Strat. // 8

Overall Impression: As mentioned, I play mainly Blues and this guitar does what I need it to do, and does it well. I've been playing for many years, acoustic folk for most of my life and blues for the best part of the last 10 years (7 or 8, actually). I grew up around guitars and always owned guitars, amps and a whole range of other instruments, I'd like to think I know a thing or two about instruments and what I'm after. In the last couple of years I sold most of my other guitars, mandolins, basses, drums and amps and kept only the ones I use most these days. This is kind of where my life and my music are headed, blues... And this guitar seems to fit in nicely, that's all I need. I run my AK95 and my Strat through a Frontman 212R via an AB-2 Switch, a Pitch Black Tuner, a Vox Wah, a Boss BD-2, an MXR Phase 90 and a Boss FRV-1. I use the amp on the clean channel only, and the settings are: Volume as needed, Treb 5, Mid 5, Bass 6. Overall this guitar is quite good for it's price, and that's the bottom line. Notice I gave it an 8 on all the categories. Like I said before it's not a $5.000.00 dollar Gibson it's just a Chinese made Ibanez for under a grand. But it is a great value for money and does what it does very well. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014