Artcore AS83 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/13/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Artcore AS83
The semi-acoustic Ibanez AS83 Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar is at home in jazz, rock or R&B. It's one of the new Artcore Deluxe Models with high-end looks and appointments at an intermediate price. 3-piece Artcore deluxe neck; classy flamed maple top, back, and sides; and large frets for easy playability.
 8.5
 8.6
 8.3
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Artcore AS83 Reviewed by: jb335, on september 13, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Features: My AS83 was made in 2001 in China. Now before you say "aw, it's made in china, it must be crap!" I wanna tell you that for a six year old guitar, this thing has held up real well. I've had a few minor problems, but I'll go into that in durability. I believe Ibanez canceled this model a while back, but you can still find 'em on Musicians Friend. Mine is left handed, which are very hard to find anywhere, as they were produced only for a short time. That being said, I've got no idea why the hell they canceled the AS83, cause it's a stellar guitar. Anyway, it's got a "violin sunburst" finish, but it's really just a mellow tobbaco brown. It's an ES-335 copy, so it's a semi-hollow. Body wood is something dark, might be mahogany and the center block is maple. Neck is a 3 ply maple affair with and ebony fretboard and abalone/mother of pearl inlays. That, coupled with the flamed maple top, back and sides make this one beautiful guitar. Looks like a work of ART. Plays like one too. As far as pickups go, it comes Standard with 2 Ibanez humbuckers. I never got to try these, so any comments about the tone are based on the current pups that are in the guitar. The guy I bought this guitar from had installed Eric Johnson custom humbuckers, which drove the price up about 70 bucks (jokes on HIM, they're listed for $70 EACH.) 2 volume controls and 2 tone controls in addition to a three-way Switch rounds out the electronics. The neck has 22 medium frets, which are a good size for the most part, but after about the 15th fret they start to get really narrow, which is a pain if you're soloing up high. // 9

Sound: I play rock, blues, alternative and jazz. I bought this guitar originally because I was hoping to get into jazz band, and figured I should have a "jazz" guitar (really it was just an excuse to get a new axe). The 2 humbuckers coupled with the resonance of the semi-hollow body suit my style perfectly. It's great for thick jazz tones, British Invasion era blues/rock (Stones, Zep, Cream) and sounds great clean. I play through a Vox, and the guitar sounds spectacular. There's abosolutely no noise from the pickups, something I'm very grateful for after playing a Tele for so long. It's got less twang and "spank" than the Tele, thicker and less bright, although you can get pretty twangy on the bridge with the tone all the way up. Overall, sounds really good. I wouldn't play this for metal, cause it has the nasty problem of feeding back at high volume or high distortion. The feedback only occurs when you're not playing though, so it's easily fixable by turning down the volume on one pickup. For me though, it's an ideal sounding guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't really say how well the guitar came set up from the factory, but when I got it, it was set up great. Low action, no buzz. Can't complain there. However, the tone and volume pots were a little dirty, but it was nothing major. The guitar was in great condition, and it is, as I mentioned before, a breathtakingly beautiful instrument. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Since it's a semi-hollow, the first thing I reccommend you do is Buy A Hardshell Case! it's a really fragile instrument, andive dented it at least once in the year I've had it. Strap buttons are ok, but since they're mounted SG-style (i.e. upper strap button on back of neck joint) I've found my straps coming off there a lot, but that was easily remidied with a 4 dollar pair of Dunlop straploks. In addition to the dirty pots, the input jack fell came loose and fell into the body one day, which was, to say the least, annoying. In addition, one of the stalks for the tone knobs was a little loose. Although these problems were realitvly minor, and are to be expected from a 6 year old guitar, they were still dissappointing enough for me to question the workmanship of the guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm really happy I bought this guitar, it plays great, looks awesome (not to mention classy) and fits my style very well. I've been playing for around 3 years now, and between my Tele and this, I have a pretty perfect arsenal. However, the somewhat less that spectacular workmanship prevents this from being a perfect guitar. I like it better than my Tele for pretty much everything (exculding Stones and Fratellis). If it was stolen, I would go out and buy a new one right away. As soon as possible. And I'd hunt down the thief. overall, if you're looking for a killer guitar with great rock, blues and jazz tones, this is it. Ibanez says the artcores do "punk to jazz and everything in between" and I totally agree. Great mid-level semi-hollow for about the same as an Epiphone Dot, but in my opinion, far superior in looks, tone and playability. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014