Artcore AS93 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/30/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Artcore AS93
The Artcore AS93 features a 3-piece neck for additional stability and strength and stunning abalone inlays.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 8.2
 7.9
 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Artcore AS93 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2010

Features: Beautiful looking Semi-Hollow guitar, with I think, poplar centre block but not sure. Made in China in 2008, now discontinued except for the horrible violin sunburst model. Gold hardware which I'm pleased to say, unlike its Epiphone rival models - hasn't thus far faded. // 7

Sound: Bought this online so I was expecting the worst.. turned out to be the best GBP400 I've ever spent. This gives Gibson and the 335 a run for it's money - how Ibanez have achieved this is beyond me. I play through a cheap stock tube amp and it sounds very good clean or through tubescreamer. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Ibanez couldn't of finished this thing of better, sycamore flamed maple. Most pictures of the TCR online do not give this guitar justice - it's more of a deep, antique red. Gold hardware compliments it very well. Action good, intonation was also good from the box. Changed the strings to 10' boomers and It was ready to be plugged in. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Never gigged with this yet but I'd say it would be as solid and reliable as any other high end guitar out there. Like I said, this is capable of competing with Gibson. Output jack, as mentioned somewhere else - has been abit of an issue coming loose but nothing serious at all. I had a bad experience with an Ibanez Jet King output jack so it falls a little on reliability and quality here. // 6

Overall Impression: Been playing guitar for about 4 years now and wanted something that could put a little character and tone into my arsenal and this thing does the trick every time. Blues, rock, soul, jazz, whatever you play, this could fit in anywhere. For the beauty and short lived production of the AS93, I think, will make it somewhat very collectible in the future. If it were stolen, I'd frantically search for another. Overall, it's more than worthy of my leather strap and to be plugged into an expensive amp. I'd like to hear it through an AC30 or Fender HotRod. // 8

Artcore AS93 Reviewed by: big_red, on september 30, 2011

Features: My Ibanez AS93 was made in 2005 in Korea. 22 Jumbo Fret, 3 piece bound maple neck with Abalone block inlays. Standard Gibson scale neck. It has maple top, back and sides as well as nice cream binding all around the body. Tone Pros TOM style bridge with a "Qwik Change 3" tail-piece. Tuners are standard I believe Gotoh style with mother of pearl machine heads. Gold hardware with Gibson style speed knobs. Ibanez ACH (Artcore Ceramic Humbuckers) pickups. Overall, a beautiful looking guitar. Killer: Qwik Change 3 Stopbar. // 7

Sound: I play Alt Rock (Foo Fighters/QOTSA style) and this guitar perfectly suits me as the rhythm guitarist in my band. I am currently using it through a pedal board and Fender MIA HOT Rod Deluxe combo amp. Order: Guitar > TU2 > MXR Custom Comp > Boss DD3 > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Micro Chorus > Amp. I was using the pedal board in the series effects loop of the amp but decided to run through the pedal board TO the amp instead. The effects loop thinned the sound of the pedals. This guitar is not very noisy at all. It does have a tendency to feed back easily if the gain and volume are high enough, especially with the compressor on. The variety of sounds through this guitar is decent but I have several guitars so I use this one as my Standard Tuned guitar due to its looks and great tone. The ceramic humbuckers do a great job on this guitar. I don't play or like Jazz, but this guitar can definitely do it. It also handles heavier stuff and punk as well. The pickups like to get dirty when you really jam the strings. Great dynamic sounds from this axe; Play wicked blues on the neck pickup and screamin' leads or chunky chords on the bridge. Overall it's rather bright but that's the style I play. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from Uptown Music was great! They do first rate work there and I love the guys to death. The flamed maple top on this is incredibly sexy, especially with the blue sunburst finish. I believe the name for the finish was Blue Tiger-Burst. Quite fitting indeed. The fretwire needed a small amount of work but they took care of that at Uptown. Neck is really solid but bending with is is possible. Love to do that after jamming a hard E Major. The Bridge pickup needed a small amount of adjustment to better match the Neck pickup's volume, but nothing too serious. For the finish etc, I must give this a ten. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does great things when played. We've played 15-20 shows in the last six months and it has taken everything I throw at it. Changed the strap buttons out within a week of purchase to Schaller strap locks and I've never had an issue with those. The finish is fantastic; a nice thick clear-coat keeps the wood protected and the binding withstands hard knocks into walls and other guitars nicely. I do try to be careful with my instruments but every once in a while you do slip. I can and have depended on this guitar without a back up for several months but that has ended so I can use more tunings on stage without having to make adjustments. Never had a problem with any electronics. Don't know what the previous reviewer meant about the input jack coming loose. Haven't had that problem or any other with this guitar. Stays in tune incredibly well. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned earlier, I play a lot of loud rock of the Foo style and I've been playing consistently for two years. Yeah yeah, two years ain't much. Shaddup. I've written 30-35 songs, none of which are lame old four chord songs. They're bada-s four chord songs. This guitar was definitely a steal for the money. Beats out a $3000 Gibson ES335 with everything except the bigger horns. This guitar has a slightly more sinister shape than a traditional ES335, think of an ES335 with cutouts closer to an SG and an ever so slightly slimer waist. I adore this guitar. It's been with me through thick and thin, rain and shine. And lots of sweat. The gold finish has slightly started to fade on the parts my hands touch more often, such as the bridge, but this is to be expected with any gold hardware. I compared it to several other Ibanez Semi-Hollowbody guitars but this one definitely took the cake. I even had the chance to compare it to a Gibson LP Supreme and chose this over it for two reasons: Price ($3500, really, Gibson) and the LP Supreme just did not stay in tune even with the new strings on it, a problem I have run into with all LPs I've played. I would take a Gibson ES335 over this if I found one for the exact same price and with the exact same finish style on it. Even the F-holes are bound on this baby, something that the mighty Gibson oft overlooks. Great sound, great tone, great features, great deal. This guitar is truly a wonder. And it makes me wonder why Gibson ES335s are so damn expensive. Here's to buying a name! If stolen, it would probably be easy to find again because I have only ever seen one other of this model in the entire Willamette Valley, however, there would be blood and a jail sentence for me. I use multiple guitars on stage for different tunings (Standard, Drop D, DADGAD, C-Standard; not all at once) and as most of my songs are in Standard tuning, this one gets the most exposure. Of course, I'll vary it up as I get more guitars but for now, this is my main axe. ONLY PROBLEM: QWIK CHANGE 3 STOPBAR TAIL PIECE. Strings fall out easily when re-stringing because of the slotted stopbar. But it's a $20 fix, so, yeah. Brings the total to a WHOPPING $570. For those of you who are TL; DR types, Great Guitar, Better than most Gibson ES335s(I've played many, for many hours each). If you say it's ugly, you obviously are into the wrong genre of music. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014