ARZ400 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/27/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: ARZ400
Ibanez make AMAZING quality guitars, and they play like a dream, don't be fooled by the price, this is an amazing guitar, the fact its 600$ just puts it above anything in its range.
 8.4
 9.6
 7.1
review (1) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
ARZ400 Reviewed by: fablemahem, on february 27, 2012

Features: I love this guitar, it replaced an old Austin SG (or rockin thunder or whatever) either way, it was a great upgrade. As it is an Ibanez it has an AMAZING action, it takes a day or so to get used to the extended scale length, but it is a MUST have if you have big hands. It also makes playing up past the 12th fret much more enjoyable. The 'scoop out' neck makes accessing the 24th fret much easier, not as easy as a RG though. The bridge is amazing, frankly though, you will either love it or hate it. I love it as I makes for a smooth on and off between muting the strings and chugging and all the fun stuff. The pickups are very much passive, don't be thrown off by the EMG logo, they are still passive. This is great as you never have to change the batteries (which it doesn't have). Granted they are passive, so they are NOT active pickups (who knew) ANYWAYS they are EMG HZ and HZA's so simply look them up, play some (guitar companys are putting them in everything) so just play around, google, google rocks. The neck is great, I can't stand the RG wimpy little flimbsy things, they are great, but I am not a fan. I am also not a fan of the chunky Les Paul necks, not to dis either RG's or Les Pauls... Great guitars, this one just offers so much more for the money. The guitar has one tone, and one volume, the volume being perfectly underneath the bridge in hands reach, it is amazing. The tuners are tuners, they work, never hand a problem with them, its all great. // 10

Sound: Sounds like EMG HZ and HZA pickups. As I said, Google/YouTube, take your pick, the wood is bass wood, again I love it... I play metal, I play jazz, blues, rock. Lots of rock, and christian churchy worship hillsong stuff, it works for all of it. If you have a decent amp your set, I have a pv valve king... Tube amp, new tubes, it does the job, looking into a Marshall Mark V. It plays everything, I myself like the pickups more than the Gibsons I put into my SG. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It came perfectly in tune, shiny, I haven't had a problem yet. I pulled off the back and it looks neat and tidy, mildly confusing if your anti teck smart. I.e. electronic. It is super reliable. I have dropped it many a times. Actually that was my friend, first time I let him play it. Nearly cried. Either way the finish is good, get yourself some polish if you have the black one, its a finger print magnet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play this guitar live all the time. I go to gigs with it without a back up. Even when you blow a string the bridge makes it so you can change strings crazy fast. This my work horse. It just works. What a concept. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 7 and a half years. I love it to bits. It fits a Les Paul case perfect. I would definitely buy another. I would be tempted by the ESP models. But I love this one much more. So yes I would buy it again, as it is much more attractive visually and plays better... I might buy some active EMGs and put them in it. For the money... It is a steal, (If you are attracted to the thing and its looks. I would strongly recommend it.) If you don't play metal... Maybe look elsewhere. But if its this or an Epiphone. I would be hard pressed to go for anything but the Ibanez. They make AMAZING quality guitars, and they play like a dream, don't be fooled by the price, this is an amazing guitar, the fact its 600$ just puts it above anything in its range. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014