AXS32 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/19/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: AXS32
Raw simplicity and power in a crystal cut body of Mahogany or Agathis. D-tuner models in AX offer the simple solution for achieving alternate tunings.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.2
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (6) pictures (4) 21 comments vote for this gear:
AXS32 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2005

Features: - Mahoganey body - 3 piece mahogoney neck w/rosewood fretboard - Flat satin finish - String-thur body bridge style - 2 volume, 2 tone knobs and a 3-way selector - Double humbuckers - Stainless stell pick guard. // 10

Sound: Been plaing bass for 10 years guitar for a little over 2. Been trying to the right guitar for awhile now. Nothing ever really stuck to me, or if it did it was way too expensive. This thing didn't really catch my eye at first. But as soon as I pulled it off the shelf and plugged it in, I knew it was the one. Wow amazing sound. Has the tone of a LP and with the strung-thru body bridge the sustain on this thing is awesome. Double humbuckers sound great. Fret pick-up was a little muddy, but nothing too noticable. You could tell this thing was made with quality. It had a very full tone, like I said similar to an LP. I've been looking for a Lp style gutar for awhile now. Can't afford $2000 for a real one, so I been looking at some nice Epiphones and LTDs. Man this Ibanez blows then all out of the water, and for a bargain price. You cant beat the sound on this thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck on this thing is like butter. So smooth man. No gloss finish so you can run your hands down this puppy in no time. Set in neck as well. No fret buzz. I mean you have to seriuosly miss a note to hear some buzz. Pickups sounded great fresh out of the box. was thinking about up grading them, but I dont this its really nessecary. Them Koreans can build em. Never would of thought it came off an assembly line. Fit and finish is like a hand made guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Seem pretty reliable, haven't dropped it yet to make sure. And I don't plan too. But it feels real solid. Never had a loose bolt or nut or anything. Only thing is the satin finish, like I said it's a flat finish, so I'm thinking it might scratch easily. Only time will tell. Other than that it seems real sturdy. Should last for a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: I play modern rock, classic rock, some heavier metal from time to time too. Hell, I'll even dabble in the blues. Most modern rock songs have blues chord progessions or some similar variation. So I try to play all kinds of different styles. While its not gonna sound like a Strat, you can still malipulate the tone a little on this. But if you want the full tone of a LP, this thing gives it to you by the truckload. Great for modern and cassic rock. This thing can sound down right mean. Best $400 I've ever spent. I'd recommend it to anyone. // 10

AXS32 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Made in Korea 2003, 22 frets, Rosewood fretboard, Mahogany neck, Solid Mahogany body with a super smooth satin finish in burgandy, more of a SG body shape, Tune-O-Matic Bridge with String-thru body (for extra sustain)Standard 2 x humbuckers AH3 & AH4, selector, 3-way and 2 x tone & 2 x vol' Standard good tuners. // 10

Sound: The sound from this is brill. I have been playing guitar since I was 13 so thats hmm 36 odd yrs. I have played in a few bands gigging in local pubs and clubs and have played most makes and models of guitars. Never been that rich to get the top end axes like the full blown Les Pauls & US PRS's but I have never felt let down by the good quality lower end guitars out there. I can get most of the sounds I need from this, I run it through a Marshall JTM30 2x10 valve combo (sweet) and find I don't need any pedals as this amp will do all I need from creamy blues to full on Garry Moore (RIP)There is a good differance between the neck pickup and the Bridge and a good centre position. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This was a 2nd hand guitar when I got it and it was set up ok. I swaped out the strings for a set of EB super slinky (9's) and droped the tune-o-matic a little and this thing went from ok to very nice, sort of why I am I smiling to myself. Pickup adjustment was spot on but any one who can't turn a phillips screw on the side of a pickup should not be playing guitar LOL. I do like the bound fretboard and the 2 offset inlays on the 12th fret. As ther are no others on the fretboard just the Standard dots on the top edge. No prob I tent to look down at the guitar not over it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used it live and it pushes past the drummer which you all know is somtimes a pain. He must be the loudest and then miced up LOL. Strap buttons are ok but as with all my guitars 20's woth of strap locks is a must on any guitar no matter what the cost. As said I used/use it live and it has never let me down but I always take a spare to a gig, daft not to just in case. I doubt it will give up as the construction of the guitar is top notch. You don't get fancy bells and whistles just a good neck very well mated to a solid body. With acouple of decent humberckers droped in. A prety Standard and well tested setup. // 10

Overall Impression: As said before I play some Gary Moore, Clapton, Eagles middle of the rd kind of stuff not to heavy but hard enough. Been playing 36 odd years and as said had loads of different kit over the years, LP coppies, Tokai, Strats both jap and US, 335 Aria and Epiphone, Tele's jap and US some odd ball but good stuff like Jim Reed (Italian) Gibson SG in the early 70's with an AC30. Well to sum this axe up it is a bute, its well put together, it comes with all you need to get playing, its far better than the newer ones as these were made in Korea and a lot of the new ones are made in China etc. You could get one of these as a base, I mean its got the basics you need body neck combo. Then add some expensive pickups you have read about or heard. Replace all the pots etc.. add a set of top end locking tuners,,, ohh I dust discribed a high end guitar like US PRS or Gibson Les Paul ect, thats what I mean good all round axe to set you in the right direction. You can't go wrong with one of these. One last thing thing, if you a reading this review site you have prob got one in mind, remember if you spend 200 on a 2nd hand guitar, it will prob be better than spending the same on a new one. // 10

AXS32 Reviewed by: CE49, on december 13, 2007

Purchased from: www.thinkmusic.co.uk

Features: My Ibanez AXS32 was made in July 2004 at the World factory in Korea and bought just Christmas the same year. There are 22 large frets on a rosewood fretboard. Interestingly, there are just to small inlays on the fretboard to mark the 12th fret. But don't worry, there is the regular style of fret markings shown on the beautiful binding between the fretboard and the rest of the neck. The neck itself is so smooth it's unbelievable. A favourite feature of mine is the string-thru bridge. It gives the guitar that extra bit of sustain whilst looking a bir different. Unfortunately, the pick guard and pick bezels are plastic. My pick up bezels quickly started to turn black so I decided to replace them with chrome ones which really sets this guitar off! Though, the pick guard has not yet turned black it look worse for wear and if there were a chrome one available I would buy it immediately. The flat paintwork on this guitar is flat, meaning that despite the many times I've accidentally hit it against tables or walls with some force, the guitar has come out unscathed whereas there are various red paint marks on the furniture and walls around my home. If you want to buy a proper fitted AM50C Ibanez case to protect this beautiful guitar then be prepared to pay out a lot of money. // 8

Sound: I would say that this guitar is not specifically designed to play one type of music. If you are the type of guitarist Who has one guitar for cleans, another for dirty sounds and another for right out distortion then this guitar isn't for you. However, if you want one versatile guitar this is just the guitar for you! The only type of music I don't think would suit the AXS32 is metal. As I am not interested in this genre, this doesn't affect me but if you are interested in playing metal more than once in a while I would recommend you look else where. The pick ups are pretty good. I like how different the neck is from the bridge pick up. This has not been the case in some guitars I've played which has left me thinking "why not just have the one?". I tend to use the bridge pick up for cleans, both for distortion and the neck pick up for soloing. One thing I would say is that if you are playing clean do not have the volume knobs turned up to full because you do start to hear a bit of crackle. If I ever do end up buying new pick ups for this guitar it won't be for necessity but just curiosity of how the guitar would sound different. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory this guitar came surprisingly well set up but after a few months I fiddled around to see how everything worked (I was still relatively new to guitar at the time) and now it is set up perfectly. I recently played a new Gibson and I would say the action on my Ibanez is much lower without buzzing. Every so often the jack socket becomes loose but that's easily dealt with. There were no factory faults and I was 100% happy when I received the item. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar at several gigs and never even considered a backup. I'm pretty sure that, electronically, this guitar will outlive me. The only thing I would say again is that the bezels and pick guard are plastic and start to change colour with time. The paint on the other hand I don't see ever even having one blemish. // 8

Overall Impression: If I say: Foo Fighters, Queens Of The Stone Age, Nirvana you will get a rough idea of the type of music I like to play. All those bands are quite versatile between each other and within themselves and I feel confident with this guitar in all those situations. If this guitar was stolen, I would find another without a second thought. I wouldn't, however, buy its successor, the AXS42. Though I have never played this guitar I don't find it as attractive as the AXS32 as it has fret inlays and no string-thru bridge though I'm sure it sounds exactly the same. I will definitely stick with this guitar for a long time because I think I will have to spend over 1000GBP before I can get a guitar which is significantly better. // 10

AXS32 Reviewed by: Chris Buckner, on january 08, 2010

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: first off great guitar one of the best I've ever owned. It has 22 frets and its a sollid basswood with a silver matte finish. It has a srting through body and two dual-humbucker pickups. There are 2 volume knobs along with 2 tone knobs that vairy on what of the three setting you are on.The tuners are simple non-lock knobs. // 9

Sound: Oh my gosh it has an awesome sound. With all the adjustments you can do just through the knobs is amazing. You can play from a completely clean deep sound to a raspy blues kind of sound. I do a little modifications do to the fact that I like to play metal. But it is great for all puposes of all playing I would say. Its clean is a very deep yet bright sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It is set up the exact way I want it. The only down side is that the guitars neck is built right into the body but its fine. It has a pearl coating under the fret board and all the frets are completely hammered down and non of the strings get stuck under. Over all great design couldnt have asked for more. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It deffinently survives live playing live concerts. Everything is tight and just feels comfortable overall while playing. It is one of the lightest guiatrs I've played also which I found quiet surprising. I would use it all the way with no back up that's how great it is. And to add to that the finish is great the guitar has gone through alot there are very few dents but the finish still looks as good as new. // 9

Overall Impression: I love it. I play everything (blues metal pop). I know you are probably surprised but I've only been playing for a year or so but I'm already in a band and touring and doing shows all around Indiana. If I lost it toatly would but a new one No Doubt. I compare to some newer les pauls and I feel it plays as good but that's me. P.S. By the way I toatly got lucky with the price. Bought it from a local guy for 175 when I had it appraised for 650$. // 10

AXS32 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2011

Features: Given to me as a gift by my wife, who saw the guitars potential. 2004, World plant, Korea. 22 fret, rosewood fretboard, semi-chunky, very NON-Ibanez neck.Fairly wide, fairly low frets. Solid mahogany gem cut body, set three piece mahogany neck. Satin black finish. SG style body, string thru Tune-O-matic bridge, dual buck 3-way pickups (Simply awful sounding. They're gone, now.) No idea who made the tuners, but the original Bridge was Sung Il garbage that broke the instant I began to set intonation- also gone, now. // 6

Sound: The original pickups, pots and tone caps produced that Ibanez soud, which I abhor. The Sung Il Tune-O-Matic Bridge shook and rattled. All in all, it was a typical Ibanez-tone. I have since remedied that. I replaced the broke Bridge with a Gotoh Tune-O-Matic, spent the extra bucks on Gibson P-94's, CTS pots and .15 mfd Orange drop tone caps. Since it was a rare set-neck Ibanez and had a solid mahogany body/neck, I knew given the proper electronics, it could sound killer. I was absolutely correct. One of the best playing and sounding guitars in my collection. Completely re-wired so as to overcome any Ibanez wiring shortcuts they are notorious for. Everything in the cavity is new and wired by yours truly. Only structural mods were enlarging the pot post holes to fit domestic CTS pots. And it sounds creamy creamy creamy! The rating I would give for the original configuration and components would be 2. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set ups are never very good, but this one was surprisingly near what I like. Once I finished setting it up to spec, I was surprised to find it is probably the best playing guitar I own since the theft of my '65 N/R Firebird. That is saying quite a bit. Pickup adjustment was fine, but the pickups were so God-awful it didn't matter. Now, they're perfect. Bridge, as I said, was Chinese junk and gave up the ghost as soon as it was touched. Machine heads, pegs are quite a bit above what would be expected. Stays perfectly in tune. Fretboard is smooth, well grained and quick as a bunny. Binding is a nice touch and adds class and good looks. Matte finish is alright, but if they'd spent a few extra pennies on gloss, It's have been worth it. Evenually I'll re-spray it with Nitro. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Solid as a rock. Well made (Korea has become THE place for great, cheap axes), good tone woods and good basic design. Hardware is very good for stock, but that'll eventually hit the dustbin, too. Removed original strap buttons to install Schaller locking system, but they were solid, as well. Finish should last, but will eventually be buffed to a semi-gloss as it's played, as all satin finished do. // 8

Overall Impression: I play heavy blues-based rock. Ibanez pickups are only good for one thing- 80's hair metal shredding, which I hated in the 80's and like even less now. I have issues with Ibanez wiring and pots, too. Too many shortcuts and budget basement parts. This is the first Ibanez I have owned since my Roadstar II, some 20 years ago. I simply do not like them, usually. Bolt on, treble heavy, lousy pickups, bad tone- UGH! But this one is different and I had never seen one before. I've been playing for 30 years, owned many, many guitars, my favorite of which was a non-reverse 1965 Gibson Firebird with three P-90's that was stolen from me. This guitar with the P-94's cames as close to that sound as anything else I've owned. Run through my 70's Music Man HD-130 reverb head through a Marshall 4X12 cab, it sounds like heaven. If lost or stolen, I would do whatever it took to find another. Although it needed extensive upgrades, once done, it is an amazing guitar. I love it, all around. Great tone, great construction, great palyability. All of the things I hated and made it sound so...Ibanez-y are gone. The fret access is by far and away the best playing feature of this guitar. Plus, it looks really boss. As I said, it very closely imitates the sound of Vintage P-90's in a Firebird, but a little richer and darker, and it actually plays better. My wife has an eye for quality and knew that, given enough TLC, this one could be THE guitar. She was absolutely correct. As for any other Ibanez guitars? I don't think so. Tricks are for kids, I like guitars with tone and personality. Ibanez, generally, produce neither. But this one? Wish I had ten of them. // 10

AXS32 Reviewed by: rallygsc, on december 19, 2011

Purchased from: Dave's Guitars

Features: What year was it made? 2003, Where was is made? Korea. How many frets? 24 frets, Neck scale? Sort of a cross between a Gibson slim taper and a ESP Vintage series. Body and neck woods? The neck is a 3 piece neck consisting of mahogany and maple, the body is made out of 3 pieces of mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. Finish? Satin Black polyurethane. Body Style, it is a cross between a Les Paul Junior and a SG. Bridge, it has the tune-o-matic style one, no tail piece, it strings through the body. The electronics are passive, a pair of DiMarzio designed humbuckers that sound like Gibson 490's, the pots are Alpha 500K with .047 capacitors and a 3 way switch that is a copy of a switchcraft. It has two volume and two tone controls with the 3 way switch. The tuning keys are ping, not bad. A gig bag was included along with an allen wrench. // 6

Sound: The Guitar is very bright sounding, too much treble, this is partially due to the .047 capacitors, .047 is more common for single coil pickups, I played the guitar through a Marshall DSL 401 tube amplifier, I am mostly into classic and hard rock. I played some doors and some Led Zep with it, and the pickups can do it, but they are middle of the road quality, a step up from a starter guitar pickup. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall the guitar appears to be something that could have been made by Gibson design wise. The body has a nice fit and finish, the neck joint is nice and clean. The Pickguard and the pickup rings look like crap, the silver finish doesn't look right, they should have left those parts in black. The hardware on the guitar is Korean made, but it is pot metal that has been chrome plated, the bridge might have issues from pitting over time. The guitar feels right, it's not heavy, I would say about 8 pounds, and due to it being thin like an sg, it's comfortable playing. The nut is plastic, I recommend a bone nut or a tusq nut. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar stock as is, it is reliable, but it is a step up from a starter guitar, I would say middle of the road, it is well built, but as far as playing gigs with it, no, I would recommend an overhaul of the electronics on it, too tinny sound wise. But it is dependable and well built, I would change the strap buttons to strap locks also, and as I mentioned earlier, the bridge might have to be replaced due to the pot metal, Gotoh and Wilkinson make drop in replacements. // 7

Overall Impression: I redone the guitar to suit my needs and taste, I replaced all of the pots with CTS 500K pots, Orange drop capacitors, Switchcraft 3 way switch and input jack, Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge, and I replaced the bridge with a Gotoh one. Now the guitar is a player, I only did all of this because I didn't want to buy a Chinese piece of junk Epiphone, and not all of the Korean Epiphones are Mahogany, so I got the Ibanez, and it fits the bill for what it is. I am into classic rock, blues, hard rock and some metal, I usually play classic rock. I have been playing off and on for 20 years. Some of my gear, Edwards Les Paul, Gibson SG Platinum, a Marshall DSL 401, a Fender super reverb. If the guitar was stolen or lost, I wouldn't mind another one granted it is a Korean one, the Ibanez stuff from China is Junk, I have had 2 Chinese made Ibanez guitars and I wouldn't recommend them at all. I like the guitar for how it is made and the woods used. What I didn't like is the pickguard and pickup rings being silver, I am in the process of replacing them with black ones. The pickups and electronics I didn't care for, but it is easy to replace. I compared this to Epiphone SG's, Jay Turser SG's and a few other SG copies, out of all of them, this one was the cheapest even though it was used, and it featured the woods I wanted. Anything I wished it had? I wish it came with better pickups and hardware, but all of that is taken care of now. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014