Darkstone DN520K DNV Review

reviews (2) pictures (2) 31 comments vote for this gear:
Darkstone DN520K DNV Reviewed by: levnde, on july 28, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Allans Music

Features: This guitar is the new Standard in heavy metal guitars. It was made in 2010 in China. The fretboard is made from Rosewood, and has 22 Medium sized frets. The body is made from Sapele and is 45mm thick. It has a double cut-away and a unique kink on the base of the body. It has a Tight-Tune bridge along with a Tight-Tune tailpiece. It has PP-1 humbucker pickups, specially made for the darkstone. There are two knobs, one for volume and one for tone. The tone knob doubles as a push/pull coil-tap. Pull it up and both humbuckers are tapped to single-coil. // 10

Sound: This guitar is predominantly made for heavy metal, however I play a variety of styles and i am yet to find a sound that it doesn't produce. I am currently using this guitar with a Vox Valvetronix VT-15, and it produces a very full sound with great sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was ordered straight from Ibanez and was set up almost perfectly and was in pristine condition. I have been using the guitar for a few weeks and I am yet to find a flaw in this guitars make. When you pick up this guitar you can feel the quality in your hands. However it does come at a price, it is extremely heavy. In fact it is quite a bit heavier than the Les Paul. It is well weighted though so you don't feel as if it would slip away from you. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing. This guitar is used by quite a few well known bands live such as Deathstars, Sabaton, and Epica. I can tell that this guitar will last a lifetime. The strap buttons are solid, but I would recommend getting a strap lock and a thick strap because of its weight. I would definitely depend on this guitar, however I would never turn up to a gig without back-up, any experienced guitarist would tell you that. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me. I don't have any regrets in buying this guitar. However is you intend to buy this guitar, make sure you play it a few times at least to see if its right for you. If this was lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again. The value for money on this guitar is great. I played many guitars before choosing this and I could not find a single guitar that could compare. I love how I am able to switch from single coil to humbuckers with a pull of a button. The detail throughout the guitar just shouts out quality and style. You really need to pick this guitar up to realise how beautiful it is. // 10

Darkstone DN520K DNV Reviewed by: coltRL11, on february 01, 2011

Price paid: C$ 671.99

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: This guitar was made in China but is still a VERY good quality guitar. It has 22 medium sized frets. It had a very smooth Rosewood fingerboard. The body and neck of the guitar is made of Sapele (Very close to Mahogany). Its has 2 cutaways with a very classy little piece that has been cutaway on the very bottom of the guitar. It has a tune-o-matic bridge. The bridge in very unique in away where the string just slides in and locks into place in the back of the bridge for easy changing. It has 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob. The tone knob is cool because if you push it in then the pickups will pick up as dual humbuckers but if you pull out the knob then they will pick up as 2 single coil pickups.It has a 3-way tone selector. Neck pickup - PP1-N (H) Bridge pickup -PP1B-B (H). The pickguard it very different. It has a unique design.(Very Stylish) When I purchased this guitar I had to special order it but when I received it it came with an instruction manual and necessary tools for adjusting the truss rod and bridge. // 10

Sound: I play pretty much every genre and style of music but I mainly play rock and metal. This guitar suits any sort of style even though it is labeled as a "metal guitar" For example I play in a jazz band at school and it works excellent for that type of sound and when I come home I play some metal and it still sounds great. This guitar has range. I use a DigiTech RP355 multi-effects processor and a Peavey X-series amp with this guitar. This isnt the best setup but it works fine. Depending on what you play and what effects you are using this guitar can do pretty much anything you want. If you want heavy feed back or a rich clear sound, this guitar can do it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Before I got this guitar setup to my wants, I played it for about 2 weeks factory set. It sounded great right out of the box but after I did get it setup it did sound better. The pickups were adjusted just fine. No complaints there. The bridge could have been setup a little bit better if I do say so myself. Since I special ordered it there were no imperfections in the look. No one had touched it so it had a great look and everything was cut perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't really played much live shows but the ones that I have played this guitar got the job done and looked sexy as hell up there on stage. I really like the hardware because it seems really sturdy and doesn't move what so ever compared to some poor quality guitars. This guitars strap locks arnt the greatest considering the weight. This is a fairly heavy guitar so I do recommend getting some bigger, more reliable strap locks. I have had multiple incidents where I almost dropped my guitar onto the ground.:z If you were playing a live show you would not need a back up guitar but it pays to be safe. The finish is very nice. It has a purple and black splatter finish. The entire finish runs all over the body, up the back of the neck and all the way up to the back and front of the headstock. It is very classy and very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything. Like literally everything on guitar and its a perfect match because this guitar can do anything you would like as I have stated before multiple times. I'm 14 and have been playing for 9 years. I also own a Yamaha CRAP SERIES electric and an Ibanez classical guitar. I did my research before buying this guitar. I looked up reviews, looked online for stores and asked around at stores too. If it was stolen I would go on a rampage because I absolutely love this guitar to death and the feeling on the upper neck like up near the 15th-22nd frets is definatly my favourite feature. Along with the tone knob controls and the finish. :) the one and only thing I hate about this guitar is its weight. Its a little to heavy for my liking. Before buying I compared it to a Jackson Kelly, Jackson Rhoads, Peavey Tomb III and also an Epiphone Sg. I chose this guitar because all of the other guitars I compared it to were either to expensive or I would have to do alot of adjusting and I would have to buy alot of new parts to suit my wants. A couple extra things I think it could/should have are an on/off kill Switch (with distortion it gives alot of feed back) and better strap locks. Very little complaints. Excellent guitar. :) // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014