DT200 Destroyer Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/28/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: DT200 Destroyer
Mahogany Body. Maple Neck. 22 Medium Frets. Rosewood Fingerboard. BR-EG Bridge. Chrome Hardware. 2 Volume, 1 Tone, 3-way Toggle Controls.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 9.3
 9.2
 9.6
 8.7
reviews (6) 40 comments vote for this gear:
DT200 Destroyer Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2005

Sound: The sound of this guitar can be described no other way than purely awesome. The soft mahogony gives it a thick, warm tone and a good deal of bass, while the hard maple neck contributes indefinite sustain, and a certain element of brightness to the tone. I use a Line6 Spider II 112 amplifier. My musical style varies from time to time, but this guitar is perfect for it all. My love lately has been Iron Maiden, and this guitar pulls it off incredibly. Also, I find this the guitar of choice, set to the neck pickup, for blues as well. That thick tone makes for a blues tone that comes close to Stevie Ray Vaughan. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of this guitar is impecable. It has a very low action without rattly strings, which means you won't sacrifice its sound for its comfort. The fit was a perfect one for me. Everything was adjusted correctly, except for the pickups, which were a little low for my taste, but this is very very easy to remedy. My only complaint lies in the input jack, which comes loose from time to time. It hasn't become a problem, and I'm hoping it won't. Also there was a tiny scratch in the finish on the body at the neck joine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely worth of live playing. It's lightweight, so you may want to excercise a little extra caution, but I've had no problems at all playing live with it. The hardware is definitely solid. I had one strap button that was missing in the shop, but I'm sure that was a freak occurrence. I could never get it fixed the way I wanted it, so I moved it elsewhere (it was on the back of the body behind the neck joint. It is now on the shoulder of the guitar). I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup. I have many times, as a matter of fact. It's not something I like to do, however, because of the natural occurrence of broken strings, and other small things like this. The finish would definitely be there for a good long while, were it not for me. I'm having it re-stained a dark red transparent finish. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, I play a lot of rock and metal music. This guitar is a perfect match for that in looks, in feel, and in sound. I've been playing for about 4 years and I've never played another guitar like it. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would definitely replace it. I couldn't imagine a world without my Ambur. I have six guitars, and only this one gets a spot on my wall. The rest are in their cases behind my couch. I love every little thing about it. There are things I would, and will change, but nothing I hate. // 10

DT200 Destroyer Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2004

Purchased from: Systems By Trail

Features: Sculpted Bolt on neck with 24 small sized frets with a rosewood fingerbaord and dot inlays. quick-change/Full tune II bridge, 2 PSND1 pups on both bridge and neck positions, 1 vol 2 tone knobs 1 3 way selector. Mahogany Body, Vintage Amber finish. // 8

Sound: The Mahogany body gives an excellent tone along with the stock pickups. Good clean sounding when just put straight through to the amp, has a very full/bright sound, I can play anything from metal to country and I can get everything inbewteen aswell as those two when I play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action as always on a hard tail is excellent. No kniks dents or finish flaws. Pups were a bit low but was easily corrected. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I baby my equipment so I haven't found this guitars durability. It's a very light very sleak design that makes playing fast and fun. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the Explorer body design from Gibson, but found that gibsons models are quite expensive so the Ibanez Destroyer wich has 2 tiny changes to the basic shape fits my needs well. If you're a fan of the design or wierd designs like I am then pick one up! You will not be dissapointed. // 10

DT200 Destroyer Reviewed by: lyndonodnyl, on january 12, 2007

Purchased from: GAK

Features: The Destroyer follows the traditional Explorer set up of HardTail bridge and double humbuckers. Although this model is produced in Korea it's workmanship is next to none. it has a lush hard maple neck and 22 fret rosewood fretboard. The body is made of solid mahogany and finish I chose was a very striking wood effect/'Vintage Amber' it has 2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way selector, pretty straight forward. The tuners are fantastic, I play .11 gauge strings and they hardly ever lose tuning stability. Guitar features a rounded heel and has a deeper cutaway than a traditional Explorer, allowing for extremely good access, on a par with a Strat. That's good! The pickups are stock, passive Infinity pickups. It came fitted with D'Addario strings and a free hardcase, which is huge and bloody heavy. // 9

Sound: I mostly play metal, whether it be thrash, industrial, etc. This guitar handles metal very well, and with the shape it looks right too. the stock pickups are of surprising quality and are very quiet, until you strike a powerchord, then it growls. The tone is greatly improved by the solid mahogany body, giving it a deep warm sound, with comes through even more on a clean channel, where it really purrs. It basically fits well into any style of rock or metal music, it even handles blues quite well. The only limitation is the body which keeps it firmly in the metal variety. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up from the factory was fantastic, which surprised me. Pickups were adjusted. No blemishes on the guitar. Poly coating on guitar appears thick, as I have knocked it many a time and never scratched it, apart from a mysterious scratched on the front of the headstock, which was probably more down to it being transported roughly. Only major flaw, input jack socket often comes loose and the outer nut can become very loose. This however can be remedied by removing the socket cover and tightening both nuts either side of the input jack plate with a wrench. Sorted. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar to be very reliable and hardwearing. It keeps tune well and the body finish is tough. Strap buttons are solid although I'd recommend strap locks any way, having had a few near misses myself. Hardware is very secure, especially the tuners, which seem to be a speciality at Ibanez. This is a guitar made for the live circuit, no mistake. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my perfect guitar. My plan is to eventually have another one in black, which has now been discontinued and was my first choice. I'd also like to replace the pickups with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set, but when the stock are that good, would it be a waste of money? I'd definetly buy it again. Who is this suited for? People like me for starters, who were inspired to pickup a guitar by james hetfield, and who now know that an Explorer is their weapon of choice, but don't have the funds to afford an ESP or Gibson. This will do my friend, till the day we can all afford custom Explorers. In fact the thing that I loved most about this guitar was the fact that it reminded me of Hetfield's Ken Lawrence custom Explorer. // 10

DT200 Destroyer Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on february 12, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound: My music style varies. My main style is metal. Iron Maiden, Def Leppard and Van Halen. I also play Hardcore metal like Trivium and Bullet for My valentine, Blues like Jimi Hendrix and Dire Straits and also some Punk Pop like Rise Against and MCR. This guitar fits the metal genre like a dream. Perfect match with sound aswell as looks. Big fans may know that Adrian Smith and Dave Murray (Iron Maiden), Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen) and Steve Clark (Def Leppard) all played the destroyer at some point in their career which is where this guitar has got it's good reputation from. My set-up is - Ibanez DT-200 -> Boss MT-2 -> Morley Power Wah -> Marshall MG100DFX. This is my set up for Gigs and I love it. The guitar is silent in gig as you'd expect a guitar to be. You only get noise when your playing near a computer but that's the same as all guitars. This guitar produces a Rich and full sound which is perfect for hard rock and also produces an amazing clean tone. Due to the lack of tremelo on this guitar (from factory) you don't have access to dive bombs and dips but I think the great sound that comes from this guitar is because of the extra body still in the guitar because of the BR-EG bridge. Of course you can get one fitted, for a price, but I bet you would lose a lot of the guitars tone from it. The pickups are extremely good. I have no need to change them. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is used but it has been refurbished. Sent back to Ibanez. It's had totally new fret wires put in. New pickups. IAt's been refinsihed aswell as having new hardware put on it. It has had a complete set up there too. The action is great. Not too low and not too high so it's great for lead playing. The pickups are well adjusted as you'd expect. The only problem with this guitar is the jack. It comes loose every so often. So I'm keeping an eye on it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I only got this guitar 11 days ago (seems much longer). I've already played with it Live and there was no problems at all. The hardware is solid so I have No Doubt that it will last. The strap buttons are solid. I can definately depend on it. The finish is thick and aslong as you polish and clean it, it should last for until your done with this guitar in many years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I play metal and this guitar is best match I've got to it. I've been playing for almost 2 years and I own 3 guitars, 3 amps, a multi-fX unit and 2 distortion pedals. If this guitar was stolen I would be gutted. I would definately try and pick me up another one aswell. I love the sound. It's amazing. Full and rich and perfect for my style. I miss not having a tremelo but the sound makes up for it. I compared this to the Gibson Explorer and the Ibanez RG series. This came out on top due to it's looks, sound and the neck. The neck is amazing. Great feel and nice and thin. A Great buy and a bargain to say how cheap I got it. I'm in the UK and bought this off eBay.com so I get it at like half price. // 10

DT200 Destroyer Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2008

Purchased from: Grandma's Music And Sound

Features: I bought this guitar back in 2003, looking for a nice solid platform to expand from. The mohagony body was a little bit heavier than I was looking for but the sound quality far outweighs the weight. I had bought the Black metallic flake paint with gold plated hardware, absolutely gorgeous. The ivory inlaid maple fretboard was absolutely beautiful and hadn't expected that kind of quality from a guitar of that price. Ibanez has done well with this one, bringing together beauty and functionality in a guitar. // 10

Sound: I put a set of Zach Wylde Custom electric strings on it, with a small amount of filing on the nut I was able to fit the huge E string in with the others. I played a lot of heavier music such as As I Lay Dying and evergreen terrace, it worked perfectly for me. Long sustains and deep basses. With the Line 6 amp of my friends there was no stoping the quality of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect, no other words could describe the finish. I had grown tired of the color and stripped the paint off in place of a gloss white with blood red splatter across the pickups. The amount of clearcoat put on that guitar is ridiculious, it took hours of sanding just to get to the paint. The action is easily adjusted much like any guitars, but it was only needed once to fit the large gauge stings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You could kill an African Bull Elephant with this guitar, it is a sold piece of engineering. Beautifully selected hardwood and solid hardware piece this beast together. Once stripped down to the wood before painting I had looked for any kinds of flaws in the wood, knots, wood filler and any imperfections I could locate. None were found. Excellent woods, excellent hardware and craftsmanship are evident on this guitar without even playing it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar could be matched to any kind of playing style, easily adjusted and suited to any need. Blues, heavy metal, fast paced soloing can be achieved in minutes with the right strings. There is no replacement for this guitar, I have been unable to locate it since I handed it down to a good friend of mine before joining the army in 2006. I wish I had never parted with it. Amazing instrument in all aspects, and if you can find one, I would advise purchasing it, you wont be dissapointed. // 10

DT200 Destroyer Reviewed by: goblin_king14, on june 28, 2008

Purchased from: C&M Music

Features: My Destroyer is a 2004 or 2005 model. 22 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard make this a smooth-as-silk guitar to play. Two Ibanez Infinity series passive humbuckers and mahogany body give this guitar a warm, thick, and punchy sound. The glossy transparent amber finish shows off the figure of the mahogany beautifully. The body is a 3-piece, but the joints are nearly invisible. You'd have have your face half a foot away from the guitar and be looking for them to see them, and still might not! Two volume, one tone control and a Standard three-way Switch. And a very well-placed Switch, I might add. By far, my favorite feature is the Quick Change III tailpiece. It is made with slots in the top of it, over each string. Rather than have to thread your string from tip to tail all the way through it, as you normally would, you can now simply set it in and slide it over. No more nerve-racking screeching from the wound strings when it's time to restring! // 10

Sound: The DT200 suits everything I've ever done with it. I am a metal-head at heart, so I play a lot of Iron Maiden, Metallica, and similar things, but now and then the band I'm in gets on a blues and southern rock kick, and the Destroyer takes it all in stride. Using both pickups at the same time gives the sound a wonderful, bluesy, almost single-coil charm. The neck pickup produces an amazing and impressively smooth sound for solos and for clean melodies, it has a shimmery charm about it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My destroyer did have the infamous stripped out screw hole where the left strap button connected. I also noticed this defect on a destroyer in the shop where I got mine later that year. It's an easy fix, but I was naive and ended up Gorilla gluing the button in. Beyond that, though, the instrument I got was perfectly set up. It was even perfectly intonated. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for three or four years now, and, aside from my initial strap-button dilemma, I've not had a single problem. The hardware still looks shiny and new and functions just as the day I bought it. I would (and on several occasions did) play gigs using my Destroyer without a backup guitar. It has held up to the years of abuse and doesn't have a single scratch to show for it, which is impressive because I'm not exactly gentle and nor is my cousin Who plays it regularly. He may as well use a hammer as a pick. // 10

Overall Impression: I've played guitar for seven years now, and I've built one guitar from parts and one from scratch since then. I've spent countless hours and days and weeks of my spare time studying each part of the guitar, how different companies do those parts differently, and what difference that makes. I fancy myself something of a guitar nerd. I was in love with this guitar from the first time I played it. It has a radical shape with a classic style and finesse, and that nearly describes my style. Like a beautiful rose with massive, wicked thorns. If Ambur (that's its name) got stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. I'm even considering buying more of this model anyway, just to have it in different colors. Even if I have to paint the new ones myself. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S7521 8 Electric Guitars 11/26/2014