EDR470EX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/28/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: EDR470EX
22 fret "wizard" neck. h/s/h pickups. 5 way pickup selector.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 8.6
 7.7
 7.3
reviews (8) 2 comments vote for this gear:
EDR470EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2004

Features: I bought this guitar brand new after playing it a couple of times in the shop and really liked it. It's got 22 fret "wizard" neck which is really thin and fast, which suited me fine. Comes with custom deisgned emg pickups h/s/h,5 way pickup selector, floyd rose trem 2, I'd say it was Strat styled, but its part of the ergodyne range, so its quite curvy and rounded, body is made from something called luthite, mine is a metallicy blue/purple. // 10

Sound: As I haven't been playing for that long, I wanted a guitar that could still offer me a good choice of sounds, and this Ibanez certainly can. The 5 way pickup selector gives a good range of sounds and tones, from deep-almost acoustic to a bright (add distortion Blink 182) kinda sound. All the configurations give a great sound though. I play on a Roland Cube 30, which has built in effects including basic disto, tremolo chorus and loads more, putting this with the edr can produce an amazing range of sounds. Fiddle around and get from Green Day/Blink almost squaeky pop punk tones to (with the aid of some dropped tuning) the gravelly, almost grindcore tones of s.o.a.d and Slipknot, as well as pretty much all inbetween, enough fiddling got me a nice blues sound one time. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said, this guitar came right from the shop, so I expected it to be set fairly right, but of course, it wasn't. I had to have a fiddle with the floyd rose for a while to get it positioned and in tune, and my mate who's been playing for about 15 years checked it out for me too, and it was fine. No marks, scratches or poorly fitted parts, just a sexy guitar thats awesome to play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd say this guitar is fairly solid, altough I don't exactly throw it around, it was alot of money! All the parts, tuning pegs and volume/tone switches are brilliant quality and will last a fair few years I'd say. As for the body, from the material is made of, the colour runs all through the luthite (not painted on top) so any chips etc can hardly be noticed and will always look brand new, bonus I'd say. I'd use this gigging anytime, maybe not without another, because of tuning, which is a pain sometimes with the trem. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing about 2 years now, and wanted an instument that had a good sound and ability range, which this does without loosing anything in the process. I own a Roland Cube 30 and a knackered squire Strat. If it got lost I'd buy another one,and if it were stolen id kill the lil fucker and get it back, but if not possible I'd get another yeh. What I really like is the sound, which is great, but also just the finishing on the head stock and tuning pegs etc. The body is a metallicy blue and the brushed aluminium looking parts look the nuts against it. Probably my fav thing is the floyd rose, when your bored just mess around with that and have hours o fun! Or am I just really sad? There is nothing else I would of had really, and I'm glad I didn't, fantastic aesthetics, fantastic sound, fantastic instrument, well, in my opinion. // 10

EDR470EX Reviewed by: Rankles, on february 12, 2004

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: Made in Korea, this 22 fret Ibanez guitar is something I'd wanted since I saw it in a shop near me for 480 last year. The smooth curved luthite body was incredibly attractive and the custom emg pickups were something that really drew me to it. I've even staretd using the floyd rose since buying this. The nexk is very thin and can be used really fast. The only bad thing about the features over all is that the strap knobs are made from plastic, and although the design is really secure... I always feel like they'd snap. Also the single coil pickup in the middle isn't as useful as I expected,and I only use the humbuckers on distortion and the single/bridge humbucker for clean. // 8

Sound: You can achieve many different styles from this guitar. As I mostly play punk and metal, it suits these two perectly, with fantastic rhythm tones and an excellent lead tone with the neck pickup. My amp is an 80watt Marshall and with this I can achieve a perfect amount of distortion, and a beautiful clean sound with the help of that middle pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It actually was delivered to me perfectly set up, I ust needed to scrwe on a strap knob thingy. Beautiful bodied guitar, the smoke green finish I got is incredible and the curves of the ergodyne shape are too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Strap buttons it says here ZYABLA^HUYABLA Ok yeah the strap buttons could do with replacing although the design of them is solid so if I could get metal versions of them that'd be great. The hardware will eaily last and the locking nut will keep it in tune. There are a few peple who have said in other reviews that the tremelo bar can't take much abuse before detuning but so far it's never gone out of tune since I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my 5th guitar and easily the best of them. It really suits my punk/metal styles well and it's an invaluable guitar to me. That's all I have to say. Try it out - you won't be disappointed. // 10

EDR470EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2004

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: The solid luthite body gives the guitar some serious weight, but there are lots of more interesting features on this guitar. Ibanez seem to quietly tick along while Gibson and Fender trade off their names, and throws every concievable bit of technology at their pieces. 22 jumpo frets with locking tuners, extra adjusting bits at the bottom of the bridge and a vibrato system to make sure you can whammy to your heart's content without messing up your tuning. Naturally it comes with all the relevant tools, and after lowering the strings and a few re-tunings, it's ready for anything. The reason I picked this guitar over a few others, however, was the pickups used, awesome EMG humbuckers. There's only the 22 frets but the bend to 24 is easy enough and despite the look of the neck, it feels very flat and is very fast to use. // 10

Sound: As touched on before, the EMG pickups really enhance the sound which makes the EDR470EX a little different to, say, the S series. At the moment I'm on a basic little Fender Frontman but on larger amps on overdrive, or better yet with a decent pedal for overdrive, distortion or fuzz, the guitar is out of this world. A much rawer and rockier sound to the Strats and Teles, and in my opinion a wider breadth of tone than most of the equivalently priced Epiphones and PRS guitars. I usually play rock like Foo Fighters and some older stuff like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin, but the guitar's also excellent for most other styles, Ibanez being famous for making very versatile products. If I had one concern it would be that when playing clean, no matter what pick-up configuration you choose there seems to be a slight bias to the lower three strings, but apart from that it's highly commendable. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was playable out of the box, but due to the various systems the strings are put through it needed a few tunings and retunings for it to be just right. Another slightly worry was that one of the pick ups can be 'wobbled' from side to side quite easily, and it's the one that protrudes the most. One screwdriver later and it was fixed, but that may just have been my guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would definitely withstand a long set, the hardware is of top quality and the finish is absolutely brilliant, beautiful (Jewel Blue, seeing as you asked). Because of the sheer weight of the thing it forces dependabiltiy onto your sagging shoulders, and if you were the risk-taking sort then not bringing a backup shouldn't ever be a problem (of course, better safe than sorry no matter how perfect a guitar is, eh?). Must take a point off for those useless strap buttons though, they must have spent so much on the luthite that they had to melt down some lego to staple onto the end of the body. Snapped off in various bits over the course of my first month with the guitar, but quickly replaced. The top one's no bother really, with a little lock to stop it coming off. // 8

Overall Impression: I was originally looking at the Ibanez S series and an entry level PRS after deciding that Strats weren't for me. However, the looks reeled me in to the EDR470EX. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the neck is very slick which is something I was looking for. The tone is perfect for people who want to hook up a Big Muff and go crazy with some power chords and a blistering solo, but it can handle pretty much anything else, from your easy-peasy punk to jazz. I've been playing electric guitar for a two or three years after about five years of classical, and this was my second guitar after a cheap and cheerful Squier Strat; if I was somehow separated from this guitar I'd buy exactly the same model, and definitely in the Jewel Blue because the green and black finishes are just awful. I do wish the bottom strap button was a little larger and made out of something slightly more substantial than the cheap little marshmellow it was supplied with. The EMGs are easily the best thing about the guitar as they add so much colour to the sound, but beware that if you drop the action too low your fingers will forever be colliding with the middle pick-up that's stubbornly sticking out from the body! // 10

EDR470EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2005

Features: Made in Japan (Ibanez so there you go), totally perfect craftsmanship. Bolt-on Wizard II 22 jumbo fret, think it's rosewood fingerboard, very very quick, edges can be a bit awkward to reach over, upper fret access is easy. Luthite body, makes it heavy but the resonance is fantastic. Moon shadow finish (silver). Strat like body Ibanez S style. Floyd Rose Edge Pro II bridge, good string life excellent whammy usage. Active electronics. 1 volume pot, 1 tone pot, 5-way pickup selector, very flexible and versatile. H-S-H pickups, use the single coil for clean tones and just the buckers for overdriven (personal preferance). EMG by Ibz pick-ups designed for use with the luthite body of the EDR, they sound like a dream, bit wobbly but it doesn't affect the sound or playbility. Standard Ibanez tuners, non-locking, double-locking trem so locking ones aren't required. No accessories. // 10

Sound: I play music ranging from heavy death metal (Element Eighty) to chilled Indie and classic stuff (Coldplay, Dire Straits), and it perfectly suits them all. As I mentioned earlier, if you want to use the guitar in overdrive toggle it to one of the humbuckers and play away, if you want to play something like scar tissue or similar just use it clean and incorparate the single coil. I generally have the tone pot more towards treble and the volume at full and it sounds magnificent. It is such a versatile instrument like most Ibanezes (that right?) it can produce nearly any sound you want it to. Only aspect of sound I can fault is that it does not sustain notes very long. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The construction on my EDR470 is totally un flawable. This may be untrue for others but not so here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made of luthite. This is possibily the hardest substance you can get a guitar made out of. It will most definately last. I would use it at a gig, strap buttons seem fine, hardware seems very solid. I would never gig without backup, even if I had a Les Paul. It's been dropped, bashed, hit, and the finish is like it had just come out of the factory. // 10

Overall Impression: I been playin' for a while, no idea how long, I started just playin' loads on mates guitars so no partic time, got this guitar Xmas 2004. As I said earlier it matches any style of music. I didn't understand the complications of a double locking trem, my fault. If something happened to it I would love to replace it with exactly the same thing, however, Ibanez have stopped selling them in the UK so I can't! I love everything about it, even the fact its heavy because it feels like I'm actually playing something. My favourite aspects are the trem, the pick-ups adn the neck. I considered getting a Maverick F-3, a basic tele and an Ibanez SA. Only thing I tink it would be better with possibily is a standard trem a locking tuners, but I think that would decrease its string life so I'm not sure of that. // 10

EDR470EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2005

Features: OK, so although I only paid the bargain price of 280 as a second hand guitar, the Ibanez Ergodyne 470EX does have all the features that a guitar in its (new) price category should have. It retails new for around 450 new, & yes, it has all of the features it should: locking top, floyd rose, nice EMGs, fine tuners etc. Also has a new fangly Luthite (plastic) body for sustain, tone or something. // 8

Sound: Sounds nice, but with a set of EMG pickups, even a garbage can will produce an expensive sound. I did eventually notice the Luthite 'effect'. I let the guitar rest quietly in a corner on its stand & insisted that nobody even look at it (Spinal Tap anybody). After allowing the guitar to reach ambient room temperature, I could discern a faint harmonic tryst emmanating from the centre of the guitar. Yeah, right. WTF is Luthite?? I'll tell you; it's a cheap gimmicky alternative to an expensive piece of hardwood that you can charge lots of money for. No, you can't tell that it's anything special. And I wouldn't like to drop it onto anything solid either, Luthite is a resin (read: plastic). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Aweful. Absolute garbage. I don't want to go overboard on this, but I've been playing guitars of all types for over 20 years & to date have never had the misfortune to have to try & get a guitar to do the impossible. In laymans terms, you want to get the strings lower than say 4mm at fret 12 without getting fret buzz/grounding. You can't. Physically impossible. A simple breakdown of where your 450~ (my 280 went). The frets: of unneven height at various points. Not just a little unneven, quite a lot. The ends of the frets are so rounded & the outside strings (especially top E) are so close to the edge of the fret end that pull offs are embarrassingly aweful. You know that horrible wanky sound you get when the string bends right off the fretboard? Welcome to hell. Overall finish (visible): really quite beautiful. A lovely subtle deep metallic green with posh looking hardware or so I thought. Take any of the covers off & you'll see what I mean. The phrase 's--t with sugar on' springs to mind. The hardware outwardly looks the biz, but is secretly cheap nasty Taiwanese base metal with an expensive outside finish. Tuning: Won't. I'm not going to comment further, 'cuase I'll get even angrier. Trem system is lamentably poor quality for this mid-priced guitar. Volume pot is the noisiest I've ever heard. Pickup selector Switch ditto. If you like to play loud in front of people, better get your insurance cover renewed, cos if you touch either of these WMDs mid flow, you're gonna kill someone with the noise. // 2

Reliability & Durability: We'll never find out, 'cause I wouldn't risk it. Strap buttons: nasty plastic boomerang thingies. I reckon one knock & they'd disintegrate. I'm selling it a week after I bought it, so dependability is irrelevant. // 4

Overall Impression: Ibanez obviously think themselves big enough to take a few knocks manufacturing this instrument. Perhaps they are too big for their boots? A realistic new price for the 470 would be around 200 max. Whilst it looks very nice & outwardly appears to be a very expensive bit of kit, it is in reality a poor immitation of what it would like to be. Ibanez should get a slapped wrist for this one it really has put me off buying another by the same manufacturer. // 2

EDR470EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2005

Sound: I play almost anything and everything, from Nirvana and Metallica to blues licks and beyond and this guitar suits everything - even sounds good through my useless BB blaster amp. Tone dials give a wide range of brightness which allows for flexable tone shaping. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is impeccable, worlds apart from my last guitar - which was a cheap Strat copy so thats not much of an advert, but very very nice. Some people say that the middle pickup gets in the way of picking, but after playing for 10 mins your style adjusts naturally to stop getting hung up. The action is set nice and low but the bottom E did start to buzz - needless to say that a truss rod adjustment will fix that but I havent had the time. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the look of this guitar, I got it in that wierd sparkly silver colour which is really durable and looks georgeous. I had the choice between this and a jagstang and I went for this because it had just been reduce to 300 from 450 which was the clincher and I've never looked back. I'd definately buy this again, its a beast - looks damn good with a really long strap, not sure why, it just looks so damn good. Had it set up with ernie ball super slinkies which was a great idea - match made in heaven. If I was you I'd buy one right now. // 10

EDR470EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2006

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: My EDR was made in Japan, don't know what year. Uses a 2pc Wizard II neck, 22 jumbo frets on a mahogany fretboard. Body is made from Luthite, a very hard resin. Mine is the metallic blue finish, with the ergodyne style (Strat-ish). Comes with an Ibanez Edge Pro II bridge, a good bridge which differs from the Pro in the way that you don't need to cut the balls of the end of the strings. This baby comes locked and loaded with a set of EMG-Designed pickups in H/S/H configuration, controlled my 1 volume, 1 tone nob with a 5-way selector. The trem is locking, so it uses Standard die-cast non-locking tuners. no accessories. They don't make this guitar anymore, I heard it was about 400 new, so the 200 I paid got me a very decent amount of features. // 9

Sound: I play anything from classic rock, funk, Indie, metal, metalcore, and this guitar does a sterling job. The Luthite body is heavy but gives fantastic resonance and sustain, almost like mahogany. I run it through a cheap Fender frontman 15W, but even with this the EMG pickups pump out a great, heavy sound. The humbuckers give great cleans themselves, but also give excellent crunch and a perfect balance between 'woodiness' and the clarity you get from active EMG pickups. Bridge gives a nice brash, hard distortion for things like Bullet For My Valentine, whilst the neck is great for that bassy wall of sound. Think Metallica or some of the heavier Lostprophets stuff. Along with all this, If you need some better cleans of more tones, the single-coil suffices nicely. The tone nob works well, giving a nice range of different, erm, tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar second-hand from a shop, so the set up was quite good. the neck was well done, the tuners were fine and eveything was in good shape. The action was quite high however, but because I am fairly used to high actions, I didn't do anything about it until recently when a good lowering made it much more playable but at the cost of some slight buzzing issues. Now she plays very nicely, using Hybrid Slinkys the neck is nice and fast, fretting is simple and generally she plays very well indeed. A unique feature of this guitar is the Luthite body. This is a very hard resin material, the advantages being that it is virtually indestructible and very nicely finished. There were no major flaws on the guitar, except the tremolo which appears to be made from fairly cheap metal- adjusting the fine-tuners can be extremely hard (a good wrench may be needed). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have No Doubt that this guitar will withstand Live playing. The body is extremely durable but at the cost of weight, the nobs and selectors are solid and well built. The strap buttons on this thing are quite interesting: they are strange hook-type things which hold the strap well but are prone to breakage, especially the bottom one. I have now remedied this by bodging a regular strap button on the bottom, now this is not a problem. It is very dependable, I would probably gig with it without a backup (I always carry one spare though, just incase something goes wrong, but mainly for the different sounds of other guitars). // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for nigh on a year and in short, this is an excellent guitar. It's built like a tank, is very playable, has great pickups and come with lots of features. One more thing to note though: I one plugged this thing into a 60w Roland Cube, turned all volumes up and activated overdrive. You know what I heard? Nothing. The thing was silent. So, the pickups are silent too with the right amp which I'm sure many will think of as a bonus. This guitar suits all sorts of styles, from AC/DC to RHCP to Trivium. // 9

EDR470EX Reviewed by: FortePenance, on december 28, 2006

Purchased from: Secondhand

Features: It's nothing fancy but for the original price (410US), I think I would have expected a bit more. The EMG pickups don't do shit tonally as well. Floyd rose is terrible and you only get single coil sounds from this. // 5

Sound: Once again, I play metal/jazz and rock. For metal, it lacks aggression and bite. For jazz, well it's solid body, y'know. And for rock, it's weak and flimsy. I played this through a variety of amps, mainly a Laney solid-state (forgot the exact model atm) and my Roland Microcube. Since the pickup configuration only allows you to get single-coils and no humbucker tones (although there are two humbuckers in the damn thing), your tone is limited, has a 60-cycle hum and is just flimsy overall. The EMG designed pickups are useless, they just don't sound alive or have that high-end tone to them. I've played Duncan Designed pickups and they sounded a lot better. In clean mode, it sounds okay but nothing special, no real fat and deep clean tones. It's overall just very limited and can't compare to other Ibanezes. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know the exact factory settings of it but my friend (who sold it to me) said he hadn't messed with any settings at all. Nonetheless, the action was terrible. The bridge was really high and whenever I used anything more than .009s on it and tried tuning to E, the bridge would de-tune. Messing around with the screws and springs didn't help either. The volume control on it was also a bit crackly, ditto the jack. The pickups were okay but they sounded terrible anyway. And the hardware was a bit rusty when I got it, but it was 2 years old by then so really I can't complain tbh. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not withstand Live playing. Within maybe half a year of playing this, the jack broke. Then I was informed that the jack had already broken before and had to be re-soldered before I bought it. Granted, it might just have been that the re-soldering on the jack was crappily done, but still, the fact that the wire broke within two years does not give off great kudos to the longevity of the EDR. The strap button also fell off within maybe a quarter of a year. Thankfully I got it replaced for free with some Dunlops. The finish is shit and flakes away when hit against something and I've had that experience twice with this guitar. The neck is also very prone to dings. I most definitely would not use this guitar at a gig without a backup as the damn guitar was so heavy (yet not sturdy) it'd probably fall off during the setlist and smash into bits. // 2

Overall Impression: As stated before, I play rock/metal and jazz and overall this guitar FAILS in all three sections. Tone is pathetic, the guitar is heavier than sumo-wrestlers and is totally unreliable. I've played for three years and when this guitar thankfully died at the end, I bought myself a Washburn X30 which pwns this guitar in every sense. There are far too many things that I wish it had to list here. But in short, basically I wish it had everything that a good guitar for the list price should have. Do not buy this guitar unless you want a heavy wall decoration (which'd probably break within a year or so). // 1

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014