EGEN18 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/06/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: EGEN18
Ibanez EGEN18-TVF E-guitar Herman Li Signature, 5-pcs maple/ walnut "Egen Prestige" neck, mahagony body with maple top, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, custom dots inlays, edge-zero bridge, hardware gold, pickups..
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 9.2
reviews (4) 57 comments vote for this gear:
EGEN18 Reviewed by: Seth Shadows, on may 20, 2008

Purchased from: Ibanez.com

Features: The Ibanez E-Gen - Herman Li's signature model (Released in 2008) happens to be the smoothest guitar I've ever played. From the 24 fret, walnut neck to the Brand New "Edge Zero" tremolo system, This guitar will NOT let you down. This badass guitar features gold hardware, DiMarzio - Herman Li signature pickups, A Mahogany body, Kung-Fu grip on the upper horn and a lower cut bottom horn to get at the higher frets simpler. That's right, breathe. The Coil-tapped pickups with the volume pot did it for me. It makes playing smooth and well produced for sweeping, shredding, Alt picking and tremolo picking. The Finish on the guitar is beautiful. Transparent Violet Flame with Flamed maple top matches well with the new Ibanez Prestige, Oval-Inlayed Neck. Which is thinner then a Wizard II. Perfect for the modern Day Shredder. // 10

Sound: I play Metal, Melodic Death and Power Metal quite frequently and this monster of a guitar suits it perfectly. I haven't had one bit of feedback, sour note, untuned string (Unless I configure the tuning pegs of course) or a single problem doing harmonics/tapping. I use this guitar with a Bogner: metropolis 12X20 60W amp and a Danelectro: Black Coffee Metal Distortion pedal and it screams Loud and strong. Definatly the "Devon" of all Guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is probably the only problem I've had with this guitar, when I got it, the action was way too high. Everything else was perfect. Pickups were designed to match herman Li's playing style, which we all know is flawless. However, There are few things I would change on this guitar. Like painting the neck purple, scalloping 12 - 24 instead of just 21 - 24 and give it a killswitch. The finish was perfect. The Bridge is amazing and the guitar has virtually no flaws what-so-ever. Some places you can improve, but no flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I hope this guitar would be able to withstand playing Live. Seeing as it's designed for it. Everything seems like it'll last at least a lifespan if treated properly. The strap buttons simply do NOT come out. I tried to install Dunlop strap buttons but it was a no go. I suppose this could be a good thing on stage, but bad if you're trying to install new strap buttons. I would infact bring this to a gig without a backup. I'd actually encourage it to any other guitar. Like metal/Shred? Buy this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This, Shocks people. This, comforts people. This, Needs to be played. I've played for 10 1/2 years and I've never played a guitar as well produced as this. Ibanez have created pure gold. I wouldn't replace this even if you paid me double I paid for the guitar. It bonds to you. I love everything about it and now, it is my child. Go, buy it now. You owe it to yourself. // 10

EGEN18 Reviewed by: Arcanjus, on january 22, 2010

Price paid: € 2400

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: Made in Japan Specs: neck type5pc EGEN Maple/Walnut neck bodyFlamed Maple top/Mahogany body fretJumbo frets (scaloped 21-24) bridgeEdge-Zero bridge w/ZPS3 neck puDiMarzio HLM (H) neck pu middle puDiMarzio HLM (S) mid pu bridge puDiMarzio HLM (H) bridge pu 10 diferente pickup configurations, with push/pull pot hardware colorGold Edge Zero Tremolo // 9

Sound: The Guitar is really versatile, many people associate it to shred since is Herman Li sig model. But there's more that meets the eye for this beast. I use it with Elixir 0.10 string gauge, in Drop D tuning. Usually I play Metal/Hard Rock with it, mixing Heavy riffing with some clean passages, and soloing. The pickups are Herman Li sigs, they have a 5 way switch with push/pull volume pot for coil split. This means beside the humbucker sound the guitar has, you can also explore a single coil sound, giving 10 diferent pickup combinations. I play my guitars through an Engl Invader or a Powerball (which are High Gain amps), a Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Zakk wylde crybaby, MXR Evh Phaser and flanger. The guitar growls with the bridge humbucker, it has a sound full of body, with mids to cut and sustain well, the neck humbucker is not so fat has a DiMarzio Evolution neck picukup, but is fattier then a DiMarzio Paf Pro. This comparison is important to me, because I usally play cleans with this pickup or solo with it in higher frets, so its imperative that it fits for both functions, and DiMarzio just made it perfect. About the Mid Single Coil, and don't have much to add because I rarelly use it, not because I don't like the single coil sound, I actually love it, but this guitar has coil split in the neck and bridge pickups. When I Coil split and my humbuckers work has single coil, it's almost like I have guitar with a Stratocaster sound with an Ibanez neck. Both Single coils have more attack and twang, making the guitar perfect for richie kotzen, clapton and that type of sound. Another thing this guitar is really, really perfect for is jazz. If you put the neck humbucker pickup and roll back the tone knob, you get instantly the perfect jazz tone. Although I'm not a jazz player, I found myself quite often playing some jazz licks for fun, because it just sounds like pat metheny (of course without the effects) or John Scofield, simply amazing. When playing clean, I usually use the neck or mix the neck and mid pickup. With the Humbucker, I get a mellow, pretty and fat tone. When mixing with single coil, it cuts a bit the bass and gives more attack to the sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came from factory with a high action for me. I usually play with it quite low, but thats my taste. I didn't notice any flaws. The pickups looked ok, but I lowered them a bit to raise the sustain of the guitar. The guitar had no flaws that I noticed in the finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I usually record and gig alot in my country, When I play live I take 3 guitars, Ibanez Egen, Ibanez Pgm and a Yamaha acoustic guitar. When I play with the Egen, before starting the gig I tune it, and I don't look ever again to the tuner until next reheasel or gig. You may think I'm crazy but after beating the whammy bar like crazy, being under hot lights and sweating all over the fretboard, finish the gig and look to the tuner and see the guitar in tune, it just gives me that confidence. I would definitely gig without backup, altough I use the PGM for a standard tuning musics it may also work has backup if necessary, but it was never used for that purpose. The guitar altough being thin, looks like it will last forever. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is like a swiss knife of guitars, you can play whatever you want with it and sound great. The Ibanez Zero Edge Tremolo is Amazing, it makes tuning and playing with the whammy bar perfect. ( I have an Ibanez Jem 7v, with Edge Pro Tremolo and I can say that I prefer Zero Edge any day.) The neck of this guitar is the best I played with, I have an Ibanez PGM, RG550, Jem 7v, K-7, and I also tried other diferent brands and models, I never felt so confortable playing with other kind of neck. The only thing I would like Ibanez to make it different, would be the wheel that tights the springs in the tremolo. I would change it for screws, because sometimes it gets hard to tight them. The tension is so high that it really hard to rotate it with your thumb. The price could also drop, I payed 2, 400 Euros for mine, I know it's expensive and was the best guitar I bought, but I think a fair price would be between 2000 and 2200 Euros. // 9

EGEN18 Reviewed by: 2guitargod4, on january 19, 2010

Price paid: A$ 4200

Purchased from: Ibanez Guitar Centre - South Australia

Features: This guitar was released in late 2007/early 2008 by the famous Japanese makers Ibanez. There are 24 frets on this guitar with 21-24 scalloped allowing for easier high string bending, tapping and sweeping. It has Jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, 5pc Maple/Walnut Wizard 1 neck, which is amazingly thin and a beautiful mahogany body with a violet flamed maple finish and stunning gold hardware. The finish does not look one bit like it does in pictures you may see on the net, if you want an idea of how this guitar looks, search for it on youtube, there are numerous videos of people covering songs using this guitar and shows what the guitar really looks like. This guitar has a S (Saber) shaped body which is extremely thin with the awesome kung-fu grip on the upper horn. This just looks cool and feels awesome to hold. It has an Edge Zero bridge on it. This bridge has copped a lot of critisim for being to stiff for some people compared to the old edge and ZR bridges. If you have never played an Edge bridge before it should feel fine and suit you perfectly, if you are used to those stlyes of bridges it will feel a little different at first but once you get used to it, it feels wonderful. It is extremely responsive too, and great for "fluttering". It has a Volume, Tone and 5 way pick up selector with a sweet push/pull coil split function allowing for a vast range of tones. It also features DiMarzio HLM-N Humbucker on the neck, single coil DiMarzio HLM-S in the middle and the absolutley screaming DiMarzio HLM-B Humbucker on the bridge. It has a locking nut and came with a great hard shell case with Ibanez Prestige on the front and back, 2 silver plates for engraving on the front and back and red velvet insde plus all the necessary allan keys and spare screws. // 10

Sound: I mostly play heavy, thrash and death metal with my inspiration coming from Trivium, Metallica etc. and also a lot of Steve Vai and Satriani and this guitar is great for all of them. I also play clean quite a bit and it sounds beautiful on this guitar especially on the middle pick up. I run it through a 75W Laney at the moment and it sounds great but I am planning on getting a new Marshall JVM 410H+C soon and it will sound amazing through that. This guitar gives you 10 different tones you can get from the coil spit. these go from screaming, high output harmonics at the bridge to a warm, punchy sound from the middle pick up, pull the volume knob when on the middle pickup and it will give you a nice high class steel string accoustic sound. The Neck pick up is very warm with a rich, full sound, kinda like turning the bass on your amp up to about 6. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly, I didn't need to make any adjustments what so ever however the middle pick up was a bit high so I moved down into the body more with a few simple turns of a screw driver if that counts. Bridge was alligned perfectly and guitar had no scratches, marks or dints in it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty reliable to me so far (I have had it for a month), the hardware is pretty durable however I haven't dropped it yet, thank god. One of the strap buttons did come lose while I was trying to get my leather strap on (pains in the ass) but that can be fixed with a screw driver. I would use it at a gig without a back up. The finish is very reliable, so if you did accidently happpen to knock it softly, it wouldn't really show up however it does show heaps of fingers prints when shining it in the light or sun and they are a major pain in the ass to get off. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar suits me perfectly. It is now a part of me. I am 13 and I have been playing for 3 1/2 years now but I rate myself as an advanced player as I recieved an advanced level for of my music exams and reports and I can play songs like Satch Boogie, Tender Surrender and For the Love of God by Steve Vai, and this guitar is perfect for them. I also own a Jackson Dinky witch I mainly use now for alternate tunings. When using this guitar I usually run it through a Boss DD-7 delay, DigiTech Death Metal or Ibanez Jemini Distortion, Boss V-Wah, DigiTech Jam Man Loop station, DigiTech Whammy Pedal 2 and a Boss BF3 Flange. I got everything I wanted with this guitar and more and if it were lost or stolen I would work my ass off to get the money to buy it again, the only other guitar I would seriously consider over this would be a JEM7V but I haven't played one of those yet. I love everything about it and often find myself staring mindlessly at it randomly sometimes hahah. I compared this with a Ibanez JS1000 before buying and chose this and the only thing I wish had was a built in systain system, but that goes for evry guitar right? XD the sustain is absolutely perfect how it is and with the volume cranked up and on the bridge pickup, running it through a good amp you can probably hold a harmonic for nearly 30 seconds. I am in love with this guitar, well worth the hard earnd money, do yourself a favour and buy it you will not regret it one bit. // 10

EGEN18 Reviewed by: Afonsoguitar, on september 06, 2010

Price paid: € 1000

Purchased from: Portugal

Features: Ibanez E-Gen was introduce on 2008 and I have it from 2010. Made In Indonesia. 24 Frets. Neck Material: 3pc Maple Neck Type: EGEN Body: Mahogany Body/Flamed Maple Top. Jumbo Frets. Fingerboard: Rosewood. Abalone Oval Inlay. Edge III bridge. NeckPickup V7. Middle Pickup: S1 Bridge Pickup: V8 Hardware Color: Gold Finishes: PLB Inclued Ibanez EGEN Bag And New Strings. // 8

Sound: It's very good to play musics by big musicians like Steve Vai; John Petrucci; Joe Satriani. And That sounds really cool. I use usually a LINE6 Spider Vavle because I can make her scream easily. You can easily get a high scream if you use the tremolo with an harmonic. And is perfect to make that Van Halen Noises. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Really Well. But I had to change the strings and that was a problem because of the bridge. So I do not touch it and I take 'Her' to a professional and she's really great now absolutely awesome. The Pickups are good but I was to change for DiMarzio Steve Vai Model. Aligned Bridge. What I Know it doesn't have any n't flaws. // 7

Reliability & Durability: If it is well tuned and with the bridge aligned, yes. The hardware will last. The hardware will last because all the guitars are handmade and i never had problems with any part of the hardware. The strap buttons are solid. I have another guitar, a PRS, and once, my strap button fell. Never hapenned with Ibanez. Yes we can deppend on it, I, no doubt, use it without any backup or trouples. Great finnish. // 7

Overall Impression: I play Satriani, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix and more. But it's good to Richie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, AC/DC, Paul Gilbert, Metallica, Eric Clapton, Zakk Wylde, Steve Ray Vaughan, Slash and a few more. I love that you slide in her perfectly, and I like her bridge. I bought her with my Line 6 Spider Valve. First I bought the Ibanez and I needed an amplifier, a good amplifier. And when I try the Line 6 with my Ibanez I new that they where made for each other. It has all that I like. And I have to sell it because I need money and I don't have another choice but if I could I'll stay with her. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014