EX160 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/06/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: EX160
Offset double cutaway body, black finish, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 1-5/8" nut width, 25-1/2" scale, pearl dot inlays, hum-single-single pickup configuration, traditional type tremolo (arm missing), made in Korea.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 7.4
 7.7
 7.1
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
EX160 Reviewed by: scalemaster, on april 20, 2005

Purchased from: TMG

Features: This guitar was made in 1993 in Korea, 22 frets, 1 volume, 3 pickups, 5-way selector, and one tone knob. S/S/H Ibanez pickups, maple neck & rosewood fretboard w/jumbo frets. Nice black finish, Strat style body and bridge, OK tuners. Came with a gig bag, strap, cable and a truss rod adjuster. // 8

Sound: I play anything from blues to country to jazz to death metal, it sounds great for all of these styles. I use a 20 year old Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah, and a 120 watt crate cab and a nice Line 6 head. Very rich and fat sound on the humbucker, and the middle pickup has very good highs but it still doesn't squeal or hurt your ears. I love the sound, it was my first guitar, I work in a music store and I'd prefer it over any Strat I've ever played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is amazing. So low but still no buzz (anywhere), incredibly flat neck, I like the wood, no flaws in the finish, volume is a little scratchy but its nothing a little wd-40 didn't fix. The little black piece on the pickup selector liked to pop off but super glue works great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I gig with this guitar, I don't use the bridge pickup alone though. Everything's good here. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing every day for a couple of hours for 2 years now and its by far my favourite guitar, I would be devistated if it were stolen, I compare it to the '67 Strat Reissue in the store I work at and this little axe blows it out of the water. I wish it had locking tuners or a floydd rose but dont we all? It's a great guitar. Great guitar for the price. // 10

EX160 Reviewed by: Bulletbass man, on december 06, 2005

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar is a solid body with a S/S/H combination. I got it used in terrible condition but after adjusting the Tune-O-Matic bridge, redoing some wiring, and replacing one of the tuners it was good. The stock pickups are pretty nice. There is a 5-way selector and 1 tone knob and 1 volume knob. The knobs making buzzing noises when bumped while playing which is annoying. // 6

Sound: The sound on this guitar has a wide variety. Can be played bassy or bright. Great for hard punk and grunge songs. Not as good for classic rock and blues however. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I do not now how well it was out of factory but used it was terrible. The finish scratches easy, the knobs and swithes aew noisy, and the bridge was completely wrecked. However I bought it for $70 off ebay so that probably doesn't help. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I took the knobs off so they would stop falling off while playing. Other than that after I fixed it up it wasn't as bad. The knobs and selectors are noisy when bumped but it's rare someone swithces the knobs or pickup mid song. I do use it without a backup because I have no backup but if I had another guitar this would be my backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music and this guitar fits the best with the '90s alternative and grunge styles. I'm looking towards getting another guitar for classic rock and bluesy songs most likely a Les Paul. In short this guitar sounds good after you fix up the small things. // 6

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/21/2014