EXR170 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/26/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: EXR170
Neck with a rosewood fingerboard, which features 22 jumbo frets. Body made out of agathis, though the sustain would make you swear it was basswood. H/S/H pickup configurations, pickups are Ibanez's own Powersound pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.7
 Features: 7.5
 7.9
 7.8
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
EXR170 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2006

Purchased from: EMI

Features: Made somewhere in Japan in 2002. Neck with a rosewood fingerboard, which features 22 jumbo frets. Body (Strat-style) made out of agathis, though the sustain would make you swear it was basswood. The neck has a nice satin finish, the body has a nice metallic finish, which makes it look great. Bridge is features a non-locking floating tremolo. H/S/H pickup configurations, pickups are Ibanez's own Powersound pickups. Came with noting more then was needed, a cable and some tools to adjust the guitar. // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar totally blew me away. I had played on some Gibsons, Fenders and Mavericks before, but I never expected to find something that'd come even close to their sound for this price. I was out shopping for a nice guitar to replace my Strat copy (too cheap Stagg thing), and I had played many a guitar that day, including many midrange products of Ibanez, Cort and Epiphone. I tested them all on the same Vox AD15VT amp, and this thing just sounded so much better than anything I'd played on that day. It has both a very nice, warm, clean sound, as well as that genuine "guitar from hell" metal sound, and with some tweaking on your amp, it can basicly be used to play anything (though I have no clue what this thing would make of slide blues). I myself like to play punk, metal, some blues and old-school stuff (70s and earlier) and it really suits me, expecially when combined with the Vox AD15VT amp I bought with it. The humbuckers are noiseless, and I mean completely, the singlecoil is a little noisey, but they're supposed to be, besides, the noise quickly vanishes once you begin playing. So far I have tested this thing with a Wah, Phaser, Flanger, Compressor and Chorus and it preforms up to my expectations. Long story short: I think it'd be very hard if not impoissible to find anything in this price range that will sound as good as this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar set-up was horrible, but what'd you expect? I mean for the money I payed for this guitar, I wouldn't have expected it to be set up. Guitar contained no flaws other then a missing strapholder. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels pretty darn solid, even though the neck is of the thinner variation of thin. I wouldn't hesitate to gig this guitar if I'd have to, and since I have no backup, I think you know what I am trying to say. Both the hardware and body come across as really solid, and I expect it to last quite some time, same goes for the fninish, it too looks really sturdy. // 8

Overall Impression: As stated above I play punk, metal, some blues and old-school stuff, and it suits me. I have been playing for almost a year now, so I am not quite the expert yet. Besides this guitar I own a Vox AD15VT, Peavey Rage 158 and a Stagg Strat copy (crappy). If this guitar were stolen/lost, I'd really hate the guy Who stole it, or myself for losing it, because I am quite certain I will have a very hard time finding another one for the price I payed for it. I would still buy another one, cause even for the usual retail price this thing rocks. // 9

EXR170 Reviewed by: Guodlca, on april 26, 2010

Price paid: € 250

Features: My guitar was made in Indonesia. The body is strat-style wich a black, a bit glossy finish, made of agathis wood. Pretty cool when it's clean, but it's hard to keep it clean. The neck is 3pc Wizard II. The bridge is a tremolo, which I like to use but it really doesn't work well on this guitar for me. Every time I would use the tremolo, the plain steel strings would go out of tune, because they "get stuck" on the nut when you release the tremolo bar. Also I didn't like that when bending a string it made all the other strings sound lower - out of tune (it also makes it harder to bend) You can fix that by adding a spring to the tremolo and blocking it. And, the tuners are non-locking which makes it even worse if you use the tremolo. If you don't, it's alright, I have no problems with strings going out of tune now. -Jumbo frets (a bit too fat for my taste after 12. fret) -Passive electronics, H S H pickups. -Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, a 5 way selector I got a thin cable with the guitar which broke down after 3 weeks and some tools. // 6

Sound: I'm using my EXR170 with a Crate FW65. I mainly play rock and blues and the guitar is perfect fit for rock, and not-that-perfect for blues. It is very versatible because of the HSH pickup congifuration. I very rarely use the neck pickup, the sound is a bit too fat and less clear. The sound is very clear on the middle, middle/bridge and the bridge pickup. I can get an approximation of many sounds. All from Jimi Hendrix fuzzy sound, to AC/DC. However, I can not get the Slash solo sound. Well, after all it's not a Gibson. The guitar is a bit too explosive on the clean channel, middle pickup. Maybe that's a plus for some people who want a really sensitive guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set up was not so good at the factory. The pickups first: The neck pickup was not paralel with the neck, so the pickup was closer to the bass strings than to the plain steel ones. The middle pickup way okay, but bridge far from okay. The magnets should be right under the strings, but the magnet under the first string is probably around 4 mm out of position. Also, the strings span at the bridge magnet is 5,4 cm, but the magnets on the pickup only 5 cm (that works fine on the neck, both strings and magnets are 5 cm) The tremolo and the bridge were well adjusted. There are a few flaws. The screws that are used to control the bridge height have oxidized and one of them has gone from hexagonal shape to almost round, so I have to use alternative tools to turn it. There were NO problems with the controls, the wood looks good quality, the tuning pegs still look tight and the finish was flawless when I got the guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would surely withstand live playing, I had no problems with it so far. The hardware looks good and it will last, except for those bridge screws I've mentioned before. But setting the bridge height is a very rare thing to do, so It's not that of a big deal. The finish is thick enough to last very long. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years, and it's a satisfying match for my style of music. I wish I'd know more about the tuners and buy a guitar which at least has locking tuners or a guitar head that the angle between the neck and the head is very small (like on Strats), which would prevent strings getting "stuck" on the nut. If the guitar were stolen/lost, I would probably get something else, but I don't regret buying this one. I've learned alot since I've got this one and I had no needs for a better guitar for about 2 years, because I was still more or less a novice player, but now I wish I had something with some more soul, like a Les Paul or a Strat. I love the versatility of this guitar, and I dislike the tremolo. I wish it had locking tuners. // 7

EXR170 Reviewed by: Gumke, on may 14, 2007

Sound: The guitar sound great; and because of 3 pickups it fits lots of music styles. The middle pickup (single) buzzes, but I only notice it when I use distortion/overdrive. But when I'm playing with distortion/overdrive I always use the humbuckers so that's not a problem at all. The humbuckers don't buzz btw. I use a Korg AX3G effect-pedal with it, wich allows me to get almost any sound I need. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up quite good from factory. The only problem was/is that the lower E-string was too low (touched the fretboard when jamming it hard). I've raised the bridge a bit wich solved the problem. The control for adjusting the tone was loose, but the shop fixed that for me. Unfortunately the tremolo is not lockable. Bending strings was almost impossible with the original tremolo setup (only 2 springs are used for the tremolo). When I bent a string the tremolo was pulled down. I added a spring wich solved the problem. With a few little modifications it's a very nice guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar almost every day about 1-2 hours. The tremolo arm is starting to get a bit of free-play. I replaced the strap holders with strap-locks because the strap came loose sometimes. Overall I think it's a quite reliable guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: When I bought the guitar a half year ago I didn't have much guitar experience so I trusted the shop owner that this guitar was the best guitar for that kind of money. I currently play for about 1 year and like to play lots of music styles (fast/slow, loud/quiet), everying goes on this guitar. It's my first electric and I really like it. Very good guitar for the money it costs! // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014