G10 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/02/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: G10
Black finish, offset double cutaway agathis body, bolt-on maple neck, 22 fret rosewood fretboard with dot inlays, hum-single-single pickup configuration, 5-way blade switch, 1 volume and 1 tone control, traditional tremolo, white pickguard and backplate.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.1
 7.7
reviews (11) 19 comments vote for this gear:
G10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 10, 2005

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: Made in Indonesia (like all the rest of fine work but cheap labour), 22 frets, medium frets, solid top, alder body, black finish, dual cutaway, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, one 3-way Switch, two humbackers, first class tuners. // 10

Sound: Here is where some would agree, others disagree. I have been playing guitars since I am 13 years old, which by now is 28 years, solid. Of all guitars that I have ever owned (including two strats and one Paula, this is the first guitar that I actually took of the shelf and never ever had to adjust anything on ot. It is that well made, at least this particular one. I did change the bridge pickup to a DiMarzio FRED 152, but this is only because I do Gary Moore-like stuff and the sound needed a bit more of this type. There is nothing I would ask to have changed otherwise. I sold all other guitars, inspite of the fact that this G10 is so dirt cheap to buy that it almost seems idiotic to get rid of the more "valuable" Fenders and Gibsons. The fact is that the playability just does not compare to this little cheap Jap guitar. Very well made, light, so fast to play that my fingers won't cramp up anymore, and the actions are right where they are supposed to be. Anyone being worried about paint chips only cares about the stage status and not about music as much. So who cares about chips. It only indicates intensive practicing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Hail to Ibanez. But I guess this is more to the CAD skilled man than to any machine cutting thiose guitars out of a chunk of wood. Man, why they don't sell this guitar for 2000.00 US is a miracle to me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Here it comes. Hardware 10+ (my experience), there is simply nothing on this guitar that couldbreak because it is not present. Simple things last and outlast every time. No fancy mechanics. Straps are ok, too. If they do come lose then get a screwdriver and put a bigger button on it. It's that simple. The finish comes off but is it not supposed to? Who wants a guitar that makes you looking like you never practice? // 10

Overall Impression: I play Malmsteen like scales and arpeggios, some Gary Moore, but also Dire Straits and classical. Due to the new FRED pickup I can do it all without much of an effect borad. All I use here is the guitar, a Yamaha65D stereo amp, Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, DOD FX80-B compressor-sustainer, and a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay. Thats all and the sound is s clear as a bird's chirp if it has to be. Best guitar I have ever had. // 10

G10 Reviewed by: martinez_rockin, on november 15, 2004

Purchased from: Long And Mcquade

Features: This guitar has 22 frets, the neck is made out of rosewood. Mine is black, laminated. And the pick guard is black also. The shape of this guitar looks almost exactly like the GRX20 suprisingly. There are 4 pickups, wich are also black. There is one volume knob and one tone one. When you buy it, you only get the strings (well, they are put there in the factory). // 8

Sound: I play mostly punk and rock. (slipknot and the distillers, and a ton of other stuff)With a good amp and a pedal, this guitar is AWESOME, to acoustic to metal, this guitar does it all perfectly. I have a little Peavey amp and a DigiTech RP80 pedal and they sound awesome. the g-10 makes a bit of noise, but for the price, still pretty awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The whole guitar was perfect, exept you don't get a case with it or anything, so you have to be careful because all you get is a cardboard box. The guitar was already perfectly tuned (somehow) and everything was perfect. But you have to be careful with the strap buttons, because mine had fallen and since I had fast reflexes I caught it. so That's about it // 6

Reliability & Durability: this guitar will go almost through anything, it will still work, but the paint gets chipped really easly, my brother threw an unsharpened pencil at my guitar and it chipped a bit on the side, so you have to watch for that. I would totally go without any backup on a gig, awesome guitar. I dont think the finish will wear off, but it'll chip if you hit it somewhere // 6

Overall Impression: I really like this guitar, but my Fender Strat beats them all, but this is a really good begginners guitar. This was my first guitar, and I've been playing for about 2 years, so I can say myself thats it's a good beginner's guitar. I was really mad when I saw that I wouldn't get a case with it, because I didn't have one, but my favorite thing about this guitar is the head, i love the shape. If this guitar would get stolen, I would buy it again and track down the theif and kick his sorry ass until he couldn't walk! // 8

G10 Reviewed by: drunk+happy, on september 30, 2005

Purchased from: Birdland Music Co.

Features: The Ibanez Gio guitar is an alright guitar, I wouldn't really recomend it to some one whos just starting out (unless its one of those old crappy Gios). I'm talking the new model if you haven't seen them yet there a very metal orientid looking guitar. It has 22 frets on a dark brown fret board (maple), some the colors I'm familar with are as follows, midnight black, cherry red, and deep blue. It's got standard Ibanez Blackberry pickups, their not a bad sounding pick up but, if your looking to play gigs I recomend upgrading them (because they get kind of choppy during loud playing). You've got your standard pickup controls plus volume and another Switch for the pickups. It's sold guitar only as far as I know. // 10

Sound: I play alot of metal, and it seems to play just as good as it looks. I'm currently using a DigiTech RP50 effects processor, I get a pretty good sound out of it. It can be noisy at times, so I recomend changing out the pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I've only had one problem with factory set up, there is a small amount of glue that is sticking out from under one of the frets, but overall factory set up was very good. The pickups were adjusted fairly well, if you know how to adjust them you might want to get them where you want them but pretty good overall. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played live with it many times and it sounds good, the hardware is very sturdy and dosn't wiggle around or anything like that. I spin my guitar alot and the strap buttons are just as sturdy as when I bought them their great. Me personaly I would never play any gig, no matter how good the guitar without a back up, so I can't really answer that too well. The finish is nice, it's a very dependable surface, I can bearly see pick scratches (no pick guard). // 9

Overall Impression: It matches my style of music almost perfectly, I also own a Sigma guitars acoustic. If it were stolen besides beating down whomever stole it yea I would prolly buy another. I love the way it looks it's a perfect look for what I play. // 7

G10 Reviewed by: joba101, on december 03, 2005

Features: This Guitar has 22 frets, and has a ash fret board. It has three pickups and there really heavy metalish so if your not plannin one playin metal or something with alot of distortion and bass then this isnt your guitar. The bass pickup on this guitar is really dark its crazy it has 4 knobs to adjust the volume from your amplifier. This guitar is really heavy though and its hard to do tricks with it. It either jet black or rose red I have the jet black with the chrome finish. It's easy to restring the guitar so thats a plus you don't waist as much time restringing. It doesn't come with ne thing at all so that is a big minus. It has no whammy so its not as great for soloing but it's good for rythm for heavy metal. This guitar is pretty fat and has pretty big frets also. // 5

Sound: This guitar is made for heavy metal. It has a dark sound and it's made for rythm guitar or just slow soloing. It's very distorted and not clean at all sometimes it's hard to hear the frets. But you can use different parts of the guitar to make sounds like the very top of the fret board past the first fret itll make a schreeching sound and it's incredible when it's palm muted honestly out of all the guitars I had this is the best when you have to palm mute. It has the black metal sound amazing. I use it with a crate amp and it sounds awsome especially when you use the effects it sounds amazing and its easy to make up songs on this guitar this is more like a guitar you should buy after you bought your first one. But you should try it out at a store first it might not be your style. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups in this guitar arent that great personnally you should get something else the pickups aren't that great so I would choose something else. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very loud and distorted so it isnt good for soloing and you can't hear the frets so I personnally wouldn't use this for live action. // 2

Overall Impression: I've been usin this guitar as a practice guitar and its overall not that great I don't think it's worth the money I think you should try a different one. There are some good features but theres just better ones then this I think. This guitar is made for heavy metal so make sure if you buy this that your goin to play heavy metal. // 3

G10 Reviewed by: stradivari310, on december 03, 2007

Features: Made in indonesia in 2003. Mine came in a starter pack with an IBZ10 amp, a gig bag, a cord, etc. It's got 3 pickups in an H/S/S configuration with a 3-way switch. I believe the humbucker is coil-split as well. There's one volume and one tone knob. It also has a tremolo bridge. // 7

Sound: I play alternative, pop-punk, Indie, and some hardore. Although this guitar doesn't pull off any style very well, it is extremely versatile. You can go from a bright, twangy Strat-like clean using the split bridge pickup to very crunchy distortion with the humbucker if you tweak the settings right. However, neck and middle pickups leave much to be desired so I don't even use them. I play this through a Line 6 Spider III, and they compliment each other nicely. The amp really brought out this guitar's tone the guitar and there is literally no noise whatsoever. Considering it's a $150 guitar, I couldn't ask for more. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was flawlessly set up: low and no fret buzz. The guitar was in tune when I took it out of the box and does a good job of staying there, even without locking tuners. The pickups haven't moved in the 4 years since I've gotten the guitar. All of the hardware is as shiny as ever. The bridge is nice, although the whammy bar immediately sends everything out of tune so I took it out. The finish is pretty durable, although I've covered up most of the guitar with stickers. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Let's just say I've dropped this guitar down a flight of stairs and it still plays fine. I've gigged with it before and didn't even think to bring a backup. The strap buttons aren't incredibly solid, but I don't go crazy on stage either so it stays just fine. The finish has some scratches and dents, but I don't particularly mind. // 8

Overall Impression: When I first started playing guitar I played mainly pop-punk. My tastes have since diversified, and although this guitar is versatile I am looking for something more suited to alternative and Indie. My amp is a good match for it and really helps to maximize its somewhat limited potential. I wish it had better single-coil pickups to broaden its range of sounds. I love the fact that this guitar is virtually indestructible, but I don't particularly like the look of it. When I bought it I wasn't even sure I would enjoy playing guitar, so I consider it a good investment. But if it were stolen, I would probably just wait for the Ibanez AS73 I'm getting for Christmas. // 7

G10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2005

Features: The G-10 features one tone and volume knob with a five way Switch. I'm not sure what wood the neck is made of, but it's sturdy. It has a string-thru bridge and a nice laminated finish over a good black paint. The pickups on this one are humbucking I believe. It was made in America which, to my surprise, is surprising to me because of the price. Overall good features for a beginner. // 10

Sound: Sometimes it gets a little noisy, but if you get it to the right setting, it'll be alright. I only use a bright tone or a distorted effect, but I'm sure some wah-wah or phaser effects would sound very nice on these. It really suits my music style (So-Cal punk, metal, blues, grunge, etc). Overall an all-round guitar, not perfect in some, but really kicks butt. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My G-10 was very well set up, I got a sweet deal at the music store for a beginner kit about two years ago, came with the case, tremolo bar, amp, cord, etc. It also came with spare nuts and alon wrenches to repair along with a care manual. Very well adjusted pickups, nice routed bridge and was properly bookmatched at the top. No flaws what so ever in the manufacturing department. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My G-10 can withstand live playing, but sometimes my strap falls on me, so I probably would use it for a backup. The hardware seems like it would last a while, but eventually when the reaper comes for it I'll buy some new hardware for it. The finish (like in the other guy's review) comes off really easily. My guitar will probably look like it's been in 'Nam in a good ten years, but I really like that chipped style, but it can be a little bothersome. Overall a pretty reliable guitar, but it has some flaws, once you fix them up though, it would be a very nice one. // 8

Overall Impression: I play pretty much everything, it is a very good all-round guitar, great for beginners and giving lessons. I've been playing for about 18 months now, but I'm really good, so you better take my word for it, this is a pretty fine guitar. I own a Peavey amplifier, the Iby G (what I call it) sounds nice with it. I didn't really had a choice about asking about this guitar because my parents were kind enough to give it as a gift. If it was stolen, I would find the asshat who stole my guitar and give him/her a good woopin' then buy a new one (especially if they pee'd and poo'd all over it). I love it's versatility, but the paint comes off soooo easily! I don't really compare guitars, I play them so I say a guitar is a guitar no matter what brand (but an American Strat would be veeery nice). I wish the paint and finish didn't come off so easily, I also wish it had a wicked paint job and some better sounding pickups. // 10

G10 Reviewed by: winno, on july 21, 2006

Features: Solid body, standard 22 frets, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, with a 3-way selector. With the deal I got, I get a gig bag, lead, 15watt amp, strap, tuner and some picks to go with it. Its like a Strat model, but I find the way they carved the shape of it is better then the Squire Bullets I've tried. // 7

Sound: The Sound is amazing for what I payed for. I find it good for all sorts of music. When you only use the distortion from the amp and the guitar, there is a lot of noise whenever you're not playing. I have a DigiTech RP50 to overcome this though (Noise Gate function). With the pedal, I find the guitar can make a variety of sounds, ranging from fairly heavy, to really good soft distortion, that I use for Indie music. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I reckon this guitar is fairly reliable. The body and the neck seem to be able to withstand a lot of stuff, although I have found tiny dints on the back of the neck. One of the strap buttons actually came loose, but I was able to take it back to the store to get it repaired free or charge. Apart from me accidently hitting it against walls and stuff, this guitar is well made, and I'd use it for live shows all the time. I'd only use 2 guitars if I need 2 tunings for the show. // 7

Overall Impression: I really like this guitar, suits my style, and the actual look and colour of it suits me too, although, I've been thinking of changing the pick guard to add some colour to it. The only thing I have a problem with is the tremolo bridge, even when I use it slightly, the guitar is most likely to go out of tune enough to make it sound pretty bad. There was a GAX70 Ibanez that I tried, but I chose the G10 because of the Tremolo Bridge. // 10

G10 Reviewed by: Pavura, on july 27, 2007

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

Sound: I play mostly metal and alternative, and this guitar is great for that, although it can really suit any style (decently at least). I haven't noticed anything wrong with the sound it has a decent tone, and I like it enough to have bought it (although it was my first guitar as well, so I wasn't going to take the greatest one off the shelf). I use it with a Roland Cube 30X with Channel Pedals and an Ibanez DS7 Distortion pedal (since I often use different levels of distortion when I play, requiring quick switches//its also good to put both on for that noisy pitch before a specific part). One thing I find good with this guitar is that it has a nice crunch noise, which is great, since I learnt every single Rammstein song, and it sounds extremely similar. It isn't really unique though, but it is a great beginner guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was great in the store and everything was fine, although I was missing the little plastic piece on the pickup Switch, but I didn't mind that. Mine came in black, and all the colors that are available for this model are pretty basic, so I ended up doing a camouflage paint job on the body, a long with a small logo. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where the guitar tends to not do too well. I've heard a lot of stories of a G10 having some flaw that only showed later on. personally, my tone knob came too tight, and now I can't adjust it (luckily it broke while it was on Max). Other than the occasional defects, this guitar is pretty sturdy and durable. It can take a lot. One important thing I noticed, was that whenever I break a string, it is always right where the string leaves the bridge. There might be some bad thing about the way they designed it, because it doesnt't conserve your strings too well. and it's only the coiled strings. Also, because of the whammy bar, the guitar gets Out of tune if you use it too much. I heard some stories about thin paint, which chips easily. since I painted mine, I can't really confirm that. it seems true though. // 6

Overall Impression: I love Rammstein, Deftones, System Of A Down, Lamb Of God, Alexisonfire, Mudvayne, Cold, I'll Nino, Tool, etc. I play a variety of heavy styles, and this guitar is up to Standard with most of them. I am a beginner however, so I don't play the incredibly hard things. I've had my guitar for 5/6 months. The real thing I love about this guitar is that it's a good beginner guitar, it's very durable, and it has a good price. If it were stolen though, I would have second thoughts about what to buy. I would probably end up buying something from the RG series, mainly an Ibanez with a different bridge since I don't like buying strings as often as I do. This guitar just needs to be more reliable. everything else is fine. It is truly only good for a beginner. This one also has a great look, and a good price. // 8

G10 Reviewed by: bdub_224, on december 08, 2007

Features: 22 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard with a maple neck that is bolted into a Strat-style alder body. It has a tremolo bridge that, if you have too thick of string guage, with float up. It has generic pickups: a bridge humbucker, a single coil middle pickup, and a single coil neck pickup. There is a 5-way pickup switch, 1 volume knob, and 1 tone knob. Most people buy this guitar in a starter pack that includes a practice amp, gig bag, and a few things that any beginner should have. // 9

Sound: I've played with the pickup height to adjust the guitar to fit my style fairly well. I plug into a Marshall AVT100 which makes up for anything that my guitar fails on. I often use the middle pickup through my clean channel with a little reverb; this makes an almost perfect steel-string acoustic sound. The pickups definitely don't compare to anything like Seymore Duncan or EMG when it comes to harmonics because I can get my pinch harmonics to sound perfect on many other guitars, but when I play it on my G10, they just don't have the right tone. I wish that it had a little better sustain than it does also. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought my guitar used and the intonation was a little off. The pickups were also not quite adjusted to fit what I wanted out of them, but I've fixed all that. Other than that, the guitar was in perfect shape and everything worked awesome, especially for the price. The playability is awesome; the feel of the thin neck makes speed and accuracy easier to accomplish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Being that it has a floating bridge, this guitar sometimes slips out of tune when the whammy bar is used. The hardware seems very durable and the strap buttons are very solid as I've never had any issues with the durability. It's probably a good idea to keep a backup on stage when using this guitar, but only because it might slip out of tune or something minor. I have had no problems with the finish of the guitar wearing off or anything accept when I've bumped into stuff or other incidents that aren't the guitar's fault. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock and '80s metal and, for the most part this guitar has worked out pretty well; definitely for the price. I've had it for about three and a half years and have appreciated its quality for the price that was payed for it. If something happened to it I'd look into buying an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or a Gibson Les Paul Custom if I got the money somehow. If this guitar's sustain and harmonics improved, it would be almost perfect, but as I said, for the price you can't beat it. // 8

G10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2009

Features: Made in Indonesia, the body is made off basswood; agathis, the neck is made from maple and the fret board is rosewood. Solid body guitar, bolt on neck, Strat body style, floating tremelo, 24 frets, non-locking tuners, and basically just a budget guitar that replaced Cimar line. Comparable to the squire Strat. 1 volume knob 1 tone knob, 5-way selector. Passive pick ups. // 4

Sound: I play rock and metal mostly, but occasionally venture into blues, it does most of those things pretty well considering what it is. It has a 5 Switch setting, but to be completely honest most of them sound the same, and most of them are just as noisy and get a lot of static. The pick ups don't have a very full sound, kinda sounds like they emphasized on the bass to make up for that. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar straight up plays like absolute crap from the factory, and guess what, after you set it up, it still pretty much plays like crap. The strings are a good 1/4 inch of the fret board, and that's as good as it'll get. Had to do a little adjusting to the pick ups. When I got it the neck was a little more bowed that what I like, I use thicker gauged strings so I had to file the nut a little bit. The finish on the guitar actually looks pretty good though, it's black with some flake in the paint, making it sparkle a little, pretty cool actually. The tone knob spins freely. Oh and if you don't have locking tuners, good luck, this is the hardest guitar to tune I've ever owned in my entire life, once it's in tune, usually stay in tune for about 4 hours of playing. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I would never dream of using this guitar Live. I would use it as a back up, for the back, for the back up and my only other option was to play a broken guitar, the hardware is crap, the strap buttons are poor, at best. The only thing I'd give it credit for, is that the wiring is actually pretty sound, never had problems with the pick ups cutting out, or the jack coming loose. Going back to the finish, it's pretty durable since it's just a cheap piece I carry it to band practice without a case and usually bumps into a few things on the trip there, and not to many dings dents and scratches to show for it. // 4

Overall Impression: It'd be a good first purchase for a new rocker or metal head, but if you start taking music seriously, replace this guitar immediately, or you will hate it. I've been playing for a few years off and on, had to sell all my music equipment last time I quit and got this guitar along with a Peavey Vypyr 30 a few months back, now I have my les paul back that I sold to somebody, a Ibanez ART 300, and a Epiphone Explorer, and if there were one guitar I had to smash on stage, it'd be the GIO... For sure. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably laugh at the guy for not stealing one of my other pieces of equipment instead and I would never even consider touching one these things again. One thing I do actually like about the guitar is it made me really good at pinch harmonics, because the pick ups are such crap half the time it won't even pick them up, so now I sound like a pro on all my guitars hahaha. I hate tuning this guitar, takes me like literally a minute to get from drop C to Standard on my les paul, and like 15 minutes on the GIO... I hate locking tuners with a passion but I almost kinda wish this guitar had them just so I didn't have to fool around with it. By the way, don't get me wrong, I'm not simply just hating on this guitar, I'm just really being honest, it's a cheap piece that would be a good first purchase for a new guitar player but if they decided to take it seriously, you'd probably want to get a new guitar rather quickly. // 3

G10 Reviewed by: Joseph!, on july 02, 2010

Features: This guitar was made in about 2006. It was made in Japan. This guitar contains 22 frets, accessible easily, thin neck, rosewood neck. Solid top, guitar finish is a black satin. The body is in the style of a cutaway. The bridge style is a String-thru body, passive electronics. Given controls has a volume knob, Tone knob, and a 3-Way swith. Model pickups are made from Ibanez, inspired made from ESP. The tuners is non-locking, but the strings stay in tune for awhile. Included accessories include a guitar strap, gig bag, tuner, picks, instructional DVD. All in all, this guitar is great for beginners and is a good pick to choose if you are barely playing. Pretty good guitar for those who enjoy playing riffs and solos. // 8

Sound: It suits my style of music very good. Style of music this guitar is good for is Metal, Hard Rock, Blues. The type of amp I use with this guitar is a Raven RG 20. Guitar sounds great with good distortion. It's pretty noisy, but you'll get a good sound out of it if you set the tones right. Very bright sounding guitar, full sound along with it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set-up was pretty much horrible, but once you get it change the strings immediately. The pickups were adjusted in a good position. All in all, everything was perfectly fine. The strings were not very good, I immediately replaced them with a brand new set of strings. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will most likely survive a decade of gigs. The durability on this guitar is simply outstanding being it's a beginners guitar. The hardware will last a while, but most likely need to be replaced with better ones once the stock pickups are worn out. I can depend on it, I'd probably use it as a backup guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: The style I play this guitar in is in the style of Metallica and early Thrash/Heavy Metal music. I've been playing this axe for about a year and a half and not once has it let me down. I also play on a Fender Bronco Bass. If I'd lose this guitar, I'd go back to Guitar Center and get myself an RG series from Ibanez. What I love about this guitar is about the durability it can withstand, and the tone that it can provide. But what I hate about it is the somewhat muddy pickups, but the muddy sound kinda gives it more of a crunch-crunch sound. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014