GART50QA Review

2.6
 3.7
review (1) pictures (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
GART50QA Reviewed by: spn_phoenix_92, on august 16, 2012

Features: The Ibanez GART50QA is pretty much the same thing as the GART30, except for the fake "Quilt Top Grain Art". It has a Basswood body, bolt on maple neck, 22 fret rosewood fretboard, Les Paul style body without the arched top (kinda like the Epiphone Les Paul Special II), a Strat styled string-thru body bridge, and some cheapy humbuckers. The tuners are basic chrome that do not like to stay in tune, especially in drop B/C. // 3

Sound: I generally play Hard Rock/Metal (A7X, BFMV, Metallica) and I figured that these humbuckers would do the job from hearing such good reviews from other Ibanez guitars. This guitar does not work well with my style of music at all, or any. It seems to have the same tone no matter what amp you play it through. It can't handle much distortion without getting noisy feedback. Also the pickups are a pain to get harmonics with, usually dulling it out. My $125 ESP LTD EC-100 gets much better sound than this, and it's also cheapy. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, I had to do the usual set up for fret buzzing (most of my guitars come that way though) and the bridge needed some serious adjusting. I got it new, but there were some flaws in the finish, faded spots and a crack in the laquer near the toggle switch, a chip in the 1st string position of the nut, and a loose tone knob. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for almost a year, and the internals are already shot. The sound keeps cutting out and it doesn't properly switch over to the neck pickup. I would never use this guitar on stage, even as a backup. The strap buttons are probably the only really good things about this guitar, never had a strap come off once. The finish is already fading and easily scratches, it just wasn't built to last. // 2

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for over 8 years now, and owned more guitars than that. So far this has been the worst electric guitar I've ever owned. If it were stolen I would be relieved to be rid of it cause no one will buy it from me. Like I said before, it's pretty much a GART30 with a different finish, and God knows how many bad reviews it's got on this site. Now if it had better hardware and real quilt top then I would probably love it, but it sounds worse than my first guitar, a used Squier Affinity Strat. It still has held up through 8 years of abuse from me and more from my brother who owned it before me, and the friend he bought it from, so about 10/12 years of use. If anyone wants to buy a guitar for the amount I payed for, buy an Epiphone Les Paul Special or a ESP LTD EC-200QM instead, don't make the mistake I did buying this guitar. // 3

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014