GAX75 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 03/08/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GAX75
Maple Neck, Agathis Body, 22 Large frets, Rosewood Fingerboard, Short Stop II w/Downshifter bridge, PSND1 (H) Neck PU, PSND2 (H) Bridge PU, Pearl Dot Inlay
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 8.4
 8.3
 8.7
 7.9
reviews (5) 10 comments vote for this gear:
GAX75 Reviewed by: neverserious88, on june 18, 2004

Features: American Made, 22 Large Frets (all of which are easily accessible), 2 Humbucker Pickups, 3 Way Pick-up selection Switch, Agathis Body, Chrome Tuning Heads, Pearl Inlay Fret Markers, Short Stop Bridge w/ Drop-D tuner. // 8

Sound: This guitar creates an amazing sound for the music I play (metal, alternative). I'm currently running it through a Crate DSP 30 watt amp, which probably effects the sound, but I wouldn't know, having never used it w/ any other amp. I am also using a Digitech Hotrod Distortion, Reverb, and Delay petal, which help greatly with creating a true "bite" to the guitar's sound. It also sounds very good on the clean channel. It has a great range from sounding great clean, and amazing with the distortion cranked up! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't really had to make any adjustments since I bought the guitar, it hasn't really lost any of its great tone. If it ever does, I just change the strings and its sounding good as new! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This was the first guitar that I have ever bought, and it has lasted for about three years already. The only mark that I have even made on the thing was while looking for guitar tab while sitting at my computer and I accidentally smashed the thing into the edge of the table, creating a small gash, which is not noticable at all. The finish seems to be in great shape, and i know I can depend on this guitar. I wouldnt go as far as saying that I'd play a gig with out a backup guitar, but I know this guitar is dependable! // 8

Overall Impression: As i said earlier, I play mainly Metal and Alternative Rock, and this guitar is a perfect match. It can match those sounds you hear coming out of the pros and in my opinion can sound even better! This is the first guitar I have bought, and I know that if I had to I would choose it alll over again! My favorite feature is the Drop-D tuner, which is perfect for quickly making your low E a low D. It is also useful when dropping your entire tuning down one step, all you need to do is drop the Switch and use relative tuning and your set! This is an all around great guitar for the aspiring Metal or Rock Guitarist! Go and see for youself! // 10

GAX75 Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 01, 2003

Features: This guitar is (I believe) a 2000 model. Being that it was a pure American-factory-made guitar, I trusted to it. 22 frets, but the body almost prevents you from getting that high (it is a cut away design for that kind of access but for some reason it doesn't let you get that high). Solid top, 4 pickups, 3-position tone settings, 2 volume switches and 2 tone switches for corresponding tone Switch position. All the strings attach to the bridge and curl around the back, except for the 6th string. It continues past the bridge to a flip-switch that is used for quick drop-d tuning. This is extremely useful for live playing. Nothing was included with the guitar except an amp cord. // 8

Sound: This guitar is better for smaller gigs, preferably rock and roll style music, but it also sounds punkish if you adjust the settings correctly. Can also pump out metal-like tones as well. When the tone Switch is at its lowest position, the tone is best. At its highest position (2 pickups closest to fretboard), it sounds more like a decent bass guitar. Bright sound when tones are high. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: All the features were made ready to go from the moment it was purchased. No problems have been experienced with any part of the pickups, fretboard, string holders, bridge, drop-d tuner, etc. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It would be able to be played live, but in the long run, it isn't the best fit. I use it as a backup guitar for, like I said, small gigs. I dont like the the strings that come with it, so I changed to Fender Strat Edition Strings. // 6

Overall Impression: Been using it for a few months seriously. I didn't play it much for the first few months of ownership, but since then it's been 2 hours a day on this sucker. I would, on the other hand, but another guitar if I had to. The best part is the smooth fingerboard, perfect for my size hands. I hate the strings that come with it. I chose this guitar above all because I played it before and liked its flexibility in playing, and because it was in my price range at the time. // 6

GAX75 Reviewed by: Twilight, on july 19, 2004

Features: I do believe the hardware will last quite a while. It seems like a very solid guitar, it's pretty heavy too. The strap buttons are pretty solid, but I normally play it sitting down. I would depend on it, and I wouldn't have a problem using it on a gig without a backup, but although I really do get into it, I don't jump 50 feet in the air and I'm fairly careful with it when I do jump around a little bit (the band I am in doesn't play very many high tempo songs, so I don't go insane or anything). No matter what guitar I had though, I would still find something to use as a backup, because you never know when you're going to break a string or something. I highly doubt anything would happen to the electronics of this axe though. // 8

Sound: This guitar is fairly versatile. I mostly play melodic hard rock like Finger Eleven, Deftones, etc. and it seems to suit that style fairly well. It sounds decent with the treble turned up, with the tone turned down the sound is not that great. I'm using it with an old Pine practice amp, the amp is pretty bad but the guitar doesn't sound that bad. I do plan to replace the pickups eventually though, just to have something better. If you don't need the D-tuner there is the GAX70 which is a simpler version of this guitar for a few dollars cheaper, but for some reason I just felt more comfortable holding this one. // 8

Overall Impression: I've only been playing for a few months, but I'm fairly impressed with it. It's so much easier to play than my hollowbody electric which is about 9 million years old. If it were stolen or lost I would probably not buy another one, simply because I'd put the money towards a more expensive axe like a higher end Ibanez RG (it's a nice axe but you're still going to want more as you get better). I love the colour on this thing, it's a dark metallic silver and the hardware is chrome. It's a beauty to look at and all my friends love it. It's classy and it looks like it can rip some ears out. The D-tuner is kinda neat, awesome for live playing but it doesn't bother me to retune because it won't put me in Drop-C or anything, it just adjusts the low E. I wouldn't buy the guitar just for this, but it's a nice addition. If you are looking for something similar to an Epiphone Les Paul but want a faster neck, I suggest you check out the Ibanez GAX series. This one was cheaper than the Les Paul 100 and I have to say this guitar owns it. I recommend this guitar for anyone fairly new to playing guitar (but not complete newbie and wants a step up from a beginner guitar) who likes rock music, wants a dual humbucker guitar, and is on a fairly tight budget. Oh and do yourself a favour and replace the stock strings on this thing. They buzz horribly, especially if you play in drop tunings frequently. // 10

GAX75 Reviewed by: E~Rock, on august 17, 2009

Features: This guitar is beautifully made. The flat charcoal finish and solid body shape make it a metal monster for rock but the design is still conservative enough to find its place in other styles as well. I was very attracted to its dark metallic edge for its mere quintessentiality. The drop D switch is ideal for anyone playing modern hard rock, and for those willing to try something different, it can be dropped even lower if you so desire. The selection knobs and dials all move smoothly, although my knobs have had a recurring tendency to become a little loose. // 9

Sound: This guitar cranks an enormous rock tone. I pair it with a Marshall DFX combo amp for recording purposes. It doesn't take much gain to have this guitar crunching. As a rhythm guitar it will deliver your power chords and driving choruses into the floor, while not overpowering any technical fingerwork. As a lead guitar, your solos will ring and your melodies will sing, although I much prefer it in the rhythm line. For all of you non-rockers, hold on to your hats! Turn the volume down a bit and drop the tone and you have an absolutely gorgeous warm jazz tone, too, very suiting for a small jazz combo or anyone looking to accompany or solo on jazz standards. This is where my guitar is set 90% of the time, even for light rock songs and virtually anything in the calmer end of the musical seas. This region of the guitar's sound offering is where it is at its best, regardless of being presented as a hard rock guitar. It resonates beautifully in the lower ends and rings light and crisp in the high ends, never losing quality or clarity the whole way through. Coupled with effects and processors the sound does not diminish or get lost in a fog of noise. It remains crisp, clear, and simply gorgeous. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar remains as it was when I bought it off the shelf. The only adjustment I had to make was a tightening of the knobs at the store. They have become a little loose since, but not enough to affect playability. I replaced the low E string with a bass D string for some added depth a while ago, simultaneously shifting all of my strings up a spot to acheive a very deep Baritone sound. This guitar just thrives in the low depths of the sonic spectrum. Unfortunately, bass strings do not fit in the drop D Switch so any retuning must be done manually, but it is a small price to pay for the incredible deep mellow tones I recieve. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have moved three times with this guitar. It has hung on walls, sat in corners, and been balanced in places where a fall is inevitable. It has spent maybe a month of its lifetime in a case. It has never scratched or dented and is still in pristine condition. I would take this guitar to a gig in a heartbeat. It allows for smooth changes in selections and offers too beautiful a tone to leave at home. // 10

Overall Impression: As a jazz and rock musician whose primary focus is on recording, the beautiful sounds this guitar produce are unmatchable. It handles perfectly and has never hindered me from accomplishing what I wanted to accomplish. It is my primary electric guitar in everything I do and will be for quite some time to come. The GAX75 is a fierce competitor to the higher-end more expensive guitars and delivers a solid performance every time. // 10

GAX75 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2011

Purchased from: A friend

Features: American Made, 22 Large Frets (all of which are easily accessible), 2 Humbucker Pickups, 3 Way Pick-up selection Switch, Agathis Body, Chrome Tuning Heads, Pearl Inlay Fret Markers, Short Stop Bridge w/ Drop-D tuner. But I removed the unnecessary drop D tuner and I'd hit my funny bone multiple times with the damn thing being there in my opinion in looked stupid so I removed it. // 9

Sound: It's tone and sound is overall amazing! I use this guitar to play things like Suicide Silence to Metallica, or any type of metal. I use a DigiTech RP250 multi effects pedal to make it work at its full capacity and I use a 15 watt Marshall, I put in a EMG H4 for the neck pick up but I have yet to put another EMG in it for the Bridge (short on cash now a days) But the stock pick up on the Bridge still does an amazing job, I mostly play fast riffs from bands like August Burns Red or The Black Dahlia Murder it does the job! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was completely gone when I got it. Its still grey but theres only one shiny part to it. I dont care for the color anyways. Every other detail about the guitar is still in perfect condition. I got it from a friend for 90 bucks about 2 years ago and its still in the same condition as I got it, Clean and no scratches or dents. The neck is my favorite part over all though its fast and easy to move along on and you can reach every single fret without a problem! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this guitar in any gig its completely reliable! All its features will last for a long time I play it everyday for about 4 hours or so and I take good care of my guitars so it will last for years to come for sure. No doubt this is possibly one of the best guitars I've owned. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. I can play any style of music with it and I'm sure I'll own this guitar for the rest of my my life if I can. I've been playing for 4 years, and I've owned it for 3. I hope that this guitar will never be stolen! Because theres not many on the internet anymore it makes me want to buy another for back up. The only thing I dislike about it is that it didn't have better pick ups. I've played a lot of other Ibanez guitars and they all seem great but this one and the RGA 's are the best guitars I've played. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014