GIO Review

6.1
 5.9
reviews (9) pictures (10) 45 comments vote for this gear:
GIO Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2009

Features: This guitar was given to me by a friend who was himself, re gifting it. I would never in a million years have paid money for it. This 2007 Chinese made guitar has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard w/dot inlays, affixed to a thin maple neck which is bolted onto a Deep Purple basswood body which is cut in a style similar to a Strat. It has two passive electronic humbucking pickups, one volume control knob, one tone control knob, and one 3 way selector Switch which are all set on a black pickguard. It has a chrome Floyd Rose inspired tremolo bridge(NOT AN ACTUAL Floyd Rose BRIDGE). I'm not sure Who makes the tuners, but they and the nut are NON locking. // 3

Sound: This guitar doesn't suit ANY style of music, unless you've developed a new style specifically for the tone deaf. It doesn't stay in tune. The intonation will not set properly and the pickups are TERRIBLE. I've worked this thing over really good on a Line 6 Spider 4 with every conceivable effect and I haven't heard anything good enough that would warrant trying it on a REAL set up. The cheap wood, shoddy hardware and WEAK pickups leave this "instrument" sounding flat, with little sustain or tonal character. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fairly decent right out of the box, but I did make minor adjustments to the truss rod. The intonation was WAY off and virtually impossible to set properly. The adjustment of the pickups is irrelevant as it sounds like garbage regardless of their position. There really weren't any flaws in it's construction. Everything seems to fit together as it was intended, but it is an I'll conceived design which performs very badly. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I can't imagine trying to gig this highly polished piece of firewood. Between the loosey goosey tuners, non locking nut, bolt on neck, and bottom of the line floating bridge, it WILL NOT stay in tune through an entire song. And even if it did, it sounds terrible. This is NOT a guitar for a serious musician or anyone Who has full use of their auditory perception, for that matter. It is shoddily made out of substandard materials and if you have the patience to play this thing on a daily basis, it will eventually fall apart on you. I'm sure the finish is durable enough, but after everything else, that point is moot. // 2

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 15 years and I play everything from jazz, blues, rock, punk, and metal to classical guitar music. I currently own three Gibsons, a Fender, a Gretsch, and a Schecter. I practice at home on a Line 6 Spider 4 and I play out on Marshal, Blackstar, and Orange set ups, using a variety of pedals and stomp boxes. I have literally played 100s of guitars and this is among the worst of them. I wouldn't even recommend this piece of garbage to a beginner, as for another $100 you can get a FAR superior instrument. Granted, you just aren't going to find a REALLY GREAT quality new guitar for less than 5 or 6 hundred dollars, but you can easily find one WAY better than the GIO or $250-$350. If you have a spoiled teenager who won't stop whining about getting a guitar but lacks the attention span to ever learn how to play well, this is the perfect guitar to waste on them. Other than that, I cannot in good conscience recommend this over sized tooth pick for anything other than perhaps smashing to pieces as a stage prop. It might also make an effective doorstop as well. The Ibanez GIO is the bottom of the barrel in an already mediocre line of guitars. // 2

GIO Reviewed by: RaziBoy, on december 18, 2009

Purchased from: Shop in Talisay City, Cebu, Philippines

Features: I don't know when but this guitar was made in China, but it's pretty much like a normal guitar, not what others would expect. It has a Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard with Dot inlays, and 24 frets. It has a solid dark blue finish on a Super Strat body style. It has a black Floyd Rose bridge (oh yeah). It's got passive pickups, two humbuckers, one close to the neck and the other one close to the bridge and a single coil pickup in the middle. It's got 1 volume and tone knob and a 5-way switch selector. The pickups were made by Ibanez, just normal humbuckers and single coil actually. There's this really cool thingamajiggy that locks the nut and helps in keeping it in tune even after a monster decompression with the whammy. I got my guitar a Lazer electric guitar sling, an Ashton guitar case/bag, and a RIDICULOUSLY long chord. (longest I've seen) // 10

Sound: I was TOTALLY depressed when I saw the "made in China" label but I was surprised with the guitar after a month of playing it. The sound is incredible and suits the varying styles I play, it can do from "Santeria" by Sublime to "Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse. I use it with a Marshall MG10CD electric guitar amplifier, I love how many styles are possible on this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action ain't much of a problem really, and I can see the guitar was really taken care of. The pickups were perfectly adjusted, my guitar teacher instantly played it right after unpacking it! I don't see any problems with the top OR the bridge. So far the only flaws I have spotted is that on the locking nut, that thing in the middle won't come off since it's TOO tightly screwed on and since the guitar hasn't been in use for so long, the strings just rusted. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm VERY careful with my guitar, so it will definitely last when I play Live. I rely on the Floyd Rose to keep my guitar in tune but I'm not so sure if it will last. The strap buttons were a bit confusing to me at first since I didn't know what they were for but I haven't encountered any problems with them anymore. I depend on my guitar, but instinct always tells me to be prepared, so a backup would be LOVELY. The finish will definitely last, though I'm not so sure with what's on the headstock since it easily gets scratched. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and alternative and all I can say is it's perfect for me. I've been playing guitar for almost a year but I already consider myself an intermediate player. Embarrassingly, I used to own a wooden amplifier my guitar teacher made and a long yellow guitar chord that can really take the beating. Where I am, owning an Ibanez or anything with a really popular name makes you cool but having to play such a nice guitar with such ugly gear. Before getting this guitar, I let my mom choose between a SEXY red Strat with a silver Floyd Rose bridge or this Ibanez. I didn't expect much from the Ibanez at the time so I was kinda hoping for the cheaper Strat, but because of how much my mom loved me (lol). She bought the more expensive Ibanez for PHP 15'000.00 or USD 325.97. If it were ever stolen, I'd just ask for that red Strat. But I love this guitar, and probably would be so depressed I'd make some sort of memorial in the cemetery. I don't hate anything about it but I love how it can do any style of music other than classical (hate classical). My favorite feature of the guitar should be the Floyd Rose bridge. It's absolutely fine for me now :), in fact, I recommend it. P.S Red Strats are sexy // 10

GIO Reviewed by: JJV{METAL FREAK, on april 04, 2011

Purchased from: Raslo Middelburg

Features: Let me just say, I don't have a GIO, I'm reviewing my friends GIO. I've played on it alot and I am rating it on what I've seen, felt and heard. It was made in China in 2005, has 22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, don't know about the body, dark blue almost black paint with a white pickguard. Strat style body cut, but with pointier edges. Floating bridge, 3-way selector switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. It has a single-single-double pickup config and the Bridge is non-locking. // 4

Sound: I play rock & roll, heavy rock and metal and it can't keep up with any of them. It tunes out so fast you can't get a chance to hear it properly. My friend has a tiny 19watt Ibanez amp with no effects which makes a #@%$ing annoying zing sounnd if you turn the volume up my more than 6mm from volume off. The sound sucks, I've even tried it through my Line6 Spider IV 15 and it still makes an unwanted treble sound. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit is alright, but the open and 12th fret notes are about a note apart. I think its neck is bent 'cause the action past the 7th fret it higher than the rest. The pickups seem alright but the exposed magnets of the pickup has started to rust. The paintjob has alot of dents and scratches on it and I don't think it will last long at all. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I would never use it live. It doesn't stay in tune long enough to play a song and its ugly. The middle pickup has started to rust and the pickguard is peeling off on one side. Don't know about the strap buttons but if the guitar falls and breaks it won't be much of a loss. The finish is starting to go, I don't think it will last the year. // 1

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 4 years and am pretty good(not bragging). I own a Ibanez SA260 which I play through a Line6 Spider IV 15. I play ACDC, Flyleaf, Lost Prophets, Greenday, Linkin Park and Billy Talent. The Ibanez GIO can't handle any of them. It is a crappy, weakly made stage prop. Another friend of mine has the GIO original, the one without the pickguard, and that's a nice guitar. He play lead in our churchband and it sounds nice. What went wrong with this one? // 3

GIO Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2011

Price paid: C$ 275

Purchased from: Kitts Music

Features: This guitar was my first a few years ago. It was a gift from my parents, and was a great guitar for a beginner. The neck is a maple rosewood with 22 frets, and the whole body was black, including the pickguard, with some sort of dark sparkles to make it shine. It was made in China, however, for a Chinese product, it is surprisingly well made. The pickup selector has three different options, and the Floyd Rose Bridge is great, besides the fact that its a pain to change the strings. It has 1 volume and tone knob, and the pickups were Custom made from the shop itself. For a birthday gift, it was great. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my playing style alot, and is a very good choice if you want to experiment with your amp. I play lots of metal and rock, with bands like Three Days Grace, Avenged Sevenfold, Shinedown, Linkin Park, etc. I use a Fender Front 15r amp, and the sound is great. You can set it for a clean sound if you want to play jazz, classical, etc, or a very muffled, heavy sound for metal. The last three strings sound louder than they should during solos, however, and even though it sounds cool, it may interfere with your playing style sometimes. When you play chords, and set the volume high, you'll hear the strings individually, instead of as one. It can get pretty annoying sometimes and will make you sound sloppy, so I wouldn't recommend it for a live audience. Pinch harmonics are so fun to play, because it makes such a high pitched, metal sound. I could play them all night if I wanted to. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar itself has a very nice setup, and is comfortable to play. The strings were raised on my guitar, so it sounds a little better. However, the nut doesn't lock, and unless you really stretch the strings, it'll go out of tune in a few hours. I usually hook my pinky on the pickups for tremolo picking and such, and the double pickups are good for this, and comfortable. However, if you put it too loud when using your amp, it'll make a really annoying treble sound that makes me want to rage sometimes. Another thing is that sometimes the knob on the pickup selector comes off, and it'll be a really annoying passtime when you try to put it back. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'll start off with the body, because it's finish is one of my favourite parts of the guitar. It doesn't even feel like wood because its so smooth, and the whole guitar feels really comfortable, and you can depend on it not to break. The frets are a little rusty and chipped, especially at the bottom, below the 12th fret. But this is normal after you play alot. As for live playing, I used this guitar a year ago to play for my friend's birthday at his party, and it sounded decent (aside from that stupid treble noise) The sound wasn't too sloppy or muffled, and the chords are ok. However, I would not play a gig with it, because there are lots of guitars better than this. Its great for beginners, because it has lots of variety and possibilities, but I wouldn't use for anything more than a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great for anything. Its very versatile, and has good sound for metal and rock. Chords sound great, and solos are very loud and wild if you set it high enough. I don't play this anymore, after buying myself a Shecter Syn Gates Custom, but I've used it for 2 years and it was great. If this guitar was stolen, I personally wouldn't buy another, because its not the best choice for gigs because of some sounds it'll make, but I'd easily recommend it for a beginner. The only thing it didn't come with, was a whammy bar, which kind of sucked. But I sometimes use a cheap one I got at Kitts for messing around and experimenting. Now, I'll use this guitar to try something new if I'm afraid something bad will happen, and after it works, I'll try it on other guitars. // 8

GIO Reviewed by: Arctistic, on july 27, 2011

Price paid: C$ 211

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store Back in 2003

Features: I bought it back in 2003 (so you see how it's still lasting), made in China (didn't pay attention to it since it's a nice guitar). Pretty basic. 22 frets, rosewood, thin and good for my piano hands (lol). All black, really nice when you polish it, shines everywhere when you're on stage. Volume, Tone, 3-way pickup. Mine doesn't have a tremolo bar, but has the Tremolo Barhole to mock me lol Nah, I don't really need it. // 7

Sound: Awesome for distortion, alternative rock and jazz (if you can, only). Roland Cube 30 with built sounds effects and distortions make this guitar sound like Steve Vai's guitar. But I somehow always put less Bass, less Middle and more Treble so I can use the 3-way pickups to get the right sound needed. In clean sound, the last three strings tend to sound so loud, I kinda got use to do sensitive picking. For metal, who in the funk cares, it sounds awesome! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The body is comfy & thin. The finishing stays shiny. I had to adjust my pickups after a certain time and it's kinda complicated to adjust it. So when it sounds right enough, you best leave it alone. You can damage it, too. The frets feel great, really easy touchy and it will certainly make you look good. Comfortable when you're laid back, sitting down... Heck, I even play lying in bed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have it for 8 years and counting. Plays well live. The sound will pretty much stay nice as long as you treat it like your woman. Downside: When I jammed with my friends, I was jumping up and down so hard that the strap screw, closer to the neck, just snapped. And I was given no choice but to screw it back on around it. The nut is in platic (I think), it eventually got over-used from tuning a million times. I put aluminium over the nut now. It's still a reliable guitar if you don't go all out punk rock on stage, it can go solo without a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: I like how it easily sound like Metallica and my Idol Steve Vai. It sounds amazing in distortion and other sounds related to it. I don't consider it for classical or reggae. I don't regret buying it. Someone stealing is in for an assassination lol. I never really wanted an another guitar or exchange it, or whatever. I always was pretty confident with it and how it was capable of. I love having this guitar around. It's been 8 years now. Rock on my friends! // 8

GIO Reviewed by: lockett77, on august 24, 2011

Purchased from: some guitar shop in Ohio

Features: It is a 2003 model and it was made in indonesia I think. It has 22 frets with a maple neck. It has a gloss finish and a floating bridge. It has 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob and a three way selector and double humbuckers and a single coil pick-ups. And it dodnt come with anything when I bought the guitar not a strap strings nothing. So I think I got ripped. // 7

Sound: The sound is okay its not great but not bad I play all kinds of music and it didn't sound good playing classic rock it played better when you played alternative rock and metal. But it has no fuzz and its pretty clear just has a weird sound to it but you get used to it after awhile. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory did a pretty good job putting it together it had no flaws and the bridge was lined up perfect the pick-ups were not lose and everything was in prestine condition not a scratch ding nothing. I wish more guitars would come out of the factory like this. I've bought alot of guitars that the neck was bowed out or the bridge need tweaked so I'll give this a perfect score. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it would survive live playing. Well depends if your hardcore rough then it wouldn't last. But the hardware would last forever I play that guitar ALOT and I got it the day it was made and it still sounds perfect. The strap buttons aren't that great the strap slips off all the time. The finish can last a long time if you don't bump it alot but not from playing. // 7

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music and if you play metal or modern rock then this is a nice starter guitar for you I've been playing for about 5 years and this is one of the best starter guitars I've played. If I lost it I wouldn't get another 1 bc I think I over payed big time for it. The only thing that I loved about it was how long the neck was and the whammy bar. // 6

GIO Reviewed by: JordanSA120, on may 30, 2012

Features: Ok, so my Ibanez was build in China. It has a maple neck, rosewood fret board with Shark tooth inlays. It has a HSH set up with one volume and one tone knob. It also has a 5 way selector and tremolo bridge. // 6

Sound: So I play just about everything from country to metal and I gotta say, this guitar is pretty versatile. Now, most people will say "eww I hate the GIO" but it actually isn't that bad. This thing can squeal with the best and has a pretty nice clean tone. It isn't equal to a Gibson or Prestige, but it's no piece of drift wood. I use a small Eleca amp and Danelectro Metal Distortion pedal and it gets a great hard rock/metal tone, but when I kick off the distortion it can go straight into a blues solo. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I got this in a trade with a friend, I'm not exactly sure how old it is but he obviously had no idea what he was doing. The bridge was pulled out but I just salvaged a spring from another guitar and fixed that. The bridge is actually well routed compared to what I expected. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well, this guitar seems pretty solid. That being said, if I wasn't so paranoid, I could depend on it without a backup. The hardware seems pretty dependable as do the strap buttons. The finish is nice, but due to it being gloss black, it shows prints very easily. Other than that, it is nicely done. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is decent. I play hard rock more than anything and it suits it pretty well. I have been playing for 6 years and before I was robbed, I had an Ibanez SA120 and an Epiphone Les Paul and this keeps up pretty well. If it got stolen, I'd probably save and get an ESP but I'd still be pissed. I like the thin neck and tone, but I would love to have a double H setup and a better bridge. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014