GIO Mikro Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/11/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GIO Mikro
My overall impression on this was kind of mixed. The sound on that guitar was good, but it didn't last very long.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.3
 Features: 6.8
 5.2
 6.3
 4.1
reviews (4) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
GIO Mikro Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2011

Features: I'm not really sure what year it was made, because I got it used. The version I got was the GIO Mikro, and it had the full 22 fret neck. Like I said, I couldn't tell much from it because it was used, so I can't say some features. The body style was like a Strat (which isn't huge for Ibanez). The controls that were given were a volume, tone, and a 3-way selector. The pickups on this thing are horrible, if at all possible, you should change them. They're extremely sensitive and if you're right in front of a TV or a PC, it's going to make a horrible buzzing sound. It has pretty much basic non-locking tuners, you would probably find these on many guitars. // 6

Sound: The sound on the guitar is absolutely horrible. If your amp uses heavy overdrive, it's going to sound like nails on a chalkboard. It's really used for basic notes, almost for people just learning how to play the guitar. If you play almost any chord while it's in an amp, you're going to get the worst sound you will ever hear out of that amp. I really suggest you change the pickups if you can. It really needs it. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's finish and fit were pretty nice. It looked like a pretty basic design, but a little bit of the Ibanez style to it. The pickups were adjusted pretty well, except they sound horrible. I highly recommend you switch them if possible. The bride and top were perfect. I haven't had a problem with it. The 3-way selector doesn't really do too much on this guitar, but it's not a serious problem. The controls were actually pretty good, a few flaws with it here and there, but not bad. // 7

Reliability & Durability: If it didn't sound so bad, I would trust this guitar to play every concert for the next ten or more years. It's a really nice built guitar, it just sounds horrible. The hardware will definitely last on this guitar. The strap buttons are better than any other I've seen so far. I wouldn't use it on a gig without a backup though, because it just sounds so bad. The finish is actually amazing. I've rarely seen an Ibanez finish go bad unless it's used almost every day for the next ten-twelve years, and even then it doesn't get too messed up. The finish is amazing, but the sound is absolutely horrible. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression on this was kind of mixed. The style of music I play is pretty much anything. I play heavy metal, general rock, a very little bit of blues, and many others. I've been playing for 7-8 years now, and I've had much better than this guitar. I also own a Squire Bullet, which was actually another pretty bad guitar, it was like this guitar, but the opposite. The sound on that guitar was good, but it didn't last very long. The one thing I wish I would've asked before buying this is what is the average customer's rating on this guitar. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably go buy a different guitar. I love this guitar's durability and it's style, but I can not stand the sound. The sound is what completely kills this guitar. I would compare this to my squire bullet, just because I want others to know to never get these kind of guitars. A Squire Strat would be a perfect start or a guitar for a long-time player. I really wish this guitar had better pickups and a 5-way selector. It's an alright guitar, but I don't really recommend it. // 5

GIO Mikro Reviewed by: Norge, on february 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 159.99

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: 22" neck with medium frets, maple, black dot inlays. Strat style with fixed bridge, Basswood body. Humbucking pickups with 3 position toggle with volume and tone controls. More than likely built offshore. // 6

Sound: I purchased this guitar as a starter for my 8 year old son. We tried to see if he could use a Jackson JS1 but it's too big and heavy so I reluctantly went for a 3/4 scale. Well... The sound is ok but I shouldn't compare it to my other guitars. After all, it's a cheap starter right? Realistically the sound is average to below average. Nothing great but does the job. Clean is below average and distorted brings it up a bit to average. Running it through a Line 6 IV Spider will suit his needs for now. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it gets bad. The first one had crowned frets with very sharp edges, tuners that wouldn't even stay in tune for 10 seconds, and the low E string was a full step above the D string when fretted anywhere on the neck. Intonation wouldn't even get it close. Had to contact Ibanez so I could bring it back to the store where I bought it. The replacement was much better but still not anywhere close to the claims on their website regarding the quality. After I adjusted the relief and set the action/intonation it was liveable. Poor QA on Ibanez's part. // 3

Reliability & Durability: No live playing. Will not last for many years. It's a kid's guitar and used to create interest and determine if they'll continue with it when they're older. It accomplishes that but it's not a reliable guitar. // 4

Overall Impression: This will server the purpose that I intend it for and that's to see if either of my son's will take an interest in guitar (and leave my other's alone). Considering what I paid I expected more especially when the Squire Strat Mini is $60 less. It's better than a First Act or any other department store knockoff but honestly I wish I had saved the $$ and just went with the Squire. Both will accomplish what I intended but there's no discernible quality that sets the Ibanez apart except for the higher price tag. I didn't expect a lot but the quality and fit and finish were so bad that this gets a really low rating. // 3

GIO Mikro Reviewed by: osumpacman, on august 21, 2012

Features: This guitar has 24 medium size frets with a basswood body and a maple neck. It has a 3-way selector and one tone knob and one volume. After having this guitar for about 6 months I noticed how easily I could be playing and the volume knob be turned accidentally and screw up my volume. When I bought it it came with a fairly decent tuner, a gig bag, a 10 watt practice amp, a cable, a strap, and a few picks. // 7

Sound: I only play heavy metal and hard rock, and this guitar definitely met my expectations, but also definitely did not exceed them in any way. I have only used this guitar with the amp I purchased with the instrument which is an IBZ1G 10 watt amp. The sound is very very sensitive, I could barely touch a single string and a whole lot of noise would come out. This was frustrating at times. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar seemed perfect when I got it and also after playing it for a week or two. The headstock gets dinged up pretty easily but other than that this guitar looks like its been gently used, maybe played for about a half hour every other day for a few months, but I assure you its been play for at least an hour a day for almost six months. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would not play this guitar live, I would only use it for practice or for fun. The hardware would not last I don't think, and the strap buttons are not all that sturdy. The finish however has lasted for a while and I'm sure it will for a while still. I have played it excessively and the finsh on the body is still great. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said I play heavy metal and hard rock but I don't think my style and this instrument are a very good match. It has been tolerable though. If it was stolen I would probably look for it, but not for long. It has been a whole lot of fun however and been very good beginners guitar. // 9

GIO Mikro Reviewed by: NexAtrum, on april 11, 2014

Features: Made in China, a 2011 model (I believe), 24 frets, solid body, unknown wood (though it looks like cheap wood). Finish is solid red with a black pick guard. Fixed bridge with through body stringing. Passive pups, 1 tone 1 volume, 1 three-way switch. Double humbucker, unknown make and model of pups. Non-locking tuners, unknown make. No Accessories included. It's a very basic guitar, but it sounds phenomenal. Looks can be deceiving. I have never had an interaction with Ibanez or any of the other Brands 'dinky' guitars. And, though I have never had/used them, this guitar has made me respect them. // 8

Sound: I play mostly, post-hardcore, and punk/punk rock, music. Has great sustain and distortion, though both are affected by the volume of the guitar. Has very little feedback and is silent, even with my built in gate. I run it through a Boss DS-1 pedal, lined into a Yamaha THR-10. It can cover a broad genre of sounds, from blues and jazz, to rock and metalcore. I am pleasantly surprised at the guitars ability to work in any situation. However I am going to replace the neck pickup. As its clean tone is rather trashy, and bulbous. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Unknown factory setup, I received the guitar via trade. Pickups needed adjusting, along with the bridge. The tuning nuts needed to be tightened, and created a buzz when it was strummed too hard. Everything on the guitar is like new. The only flaws are a couple of chips in the paint, and the frets need to be filed down as they protrude from the edge of the fret board. One on the tip of the headstock, the other on the back side of the lower body horn. Other than those two issues, nothing else on the guitar is off. Feels smooth, and plays easy and quick. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is incredibly rugged. I have had several mishaps with it, and it hasn't so much as flinched. I would most definitely bring this on the road, even though it is a Mikro, its sound outweighs its looks. All hardware is solid, tuners, buttons, pickups, knobs, switches, and jack. All are sturdy, and I would not worry about them, unless something major were to happen. It's surprisingly light, yet solid. I don't worry about the body getting dents, or damage, though I would prefer a different wood for the fretboard, as the one on it lacks texture and aesthetic appeal. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said, I play mostly post-hardcore, and punk/punk rock genre, and it sounds perfect. Though some tweaking was made in my EQ settings. I've been playing 8 years, unprofessionally, and have had several guitars, both acoustic and electric. It could stand toe to toe with my Conrad, on its worst day. I do wish I would have asked if it had been serviced any time soon, before trading, though there isn't much wrong with it. If I were to loose it, for any reason, I would invest in another. I love its size, and its ability to adapt. I didn't really compare, as I had no real experience with Ibanez, or their Mikro's. I do wish it had a single coil for a mid pickup, and I wish the controls were in a different spot, as it makes it awkward for playing with where they're at. Other than that, it's a great guitar, and I'm in love with it. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014