GRG150 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/26/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRG150
It was made in China, and it was my first good guitar. Its a super-strat style guitar with 24 medium frets, on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard (dotted inlays).
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 6.9
reviews (2) pictures (3) 56 comments vote for this gear:
GRG150 Reviewed by: Vampire_Prince, on march 26, 2010

Purchased from: A.salonga music

Features: I bought this guitar about 3-4 years ago in the Philippines for my birthday, it was made in china, and it was my first good guitar. Its a super-strat style guitar with 24 medium frets, on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard (dotted inlays). Basswood body, and a passive humbucker/pickup/humbucker set-up with one volume dial, one tone dial and a 5-way selector. It has a Standard Ibanez floating trmolo bridge (Fat 10 apparently). The stock pickups are Standard Ibanez pickups. A very good set-up for the price. // 8

Sound: It suits my musical style greatly! You can get just about any kind of sound you want out of it, I play most kinds of rock music and it suits them all fine, from Green Day to Bullet, its suited them all fine. At the moment I'm running my guitars through a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt practice amp and it sounds sick! It has a rather bright kinda sound to it which is something I don't really like, but with a bit of tweaking you can easily adjust it to sound how you want. All in all its pretty sick! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I'd bought it, the action was so so, it was playable. But at the time I was more into thrash metal, so I lowered it as low as it would go without much fret buzz, which was surprisingly very low, the pickups were also set up to an average standard, but I raised them a bit to get a little more volume out of them, other than that it pretty perfectly set up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not too sure here, I'd had it and played it for about 2 years before going live with it, but during the 2 years my idiot sister had knocked it off its stand onto a tiled floor at least twice, so it had two small cracks around where the neck is joined to the body. But I've played live with it 3 times without a backup so I can safely say that it can definitely withstand live playing. The strap buttons are big and solid, and the finish will last forever. Perfect! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar was the best I could get at the time and I'm happy I did, it suits whatever I want to play whenever I want to and its always been dependable, I've been playing around 5 years now and I also have a B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock that is admittedly a lot better than this, its suited for anyone really, because it'll sound good to a beginner/ intermediate guitarist and an experienced player could easily make it sound good, and also for the price, this guitar is awesome. If it were stolen I'd be pissed for a while, but I wouldn't go out and buy another (due mostly to the fact that I live back in the UK now and they're not available here) but oh well. When I bought it, I compared it against a variety of other Ibanez models that were in my price range, and this one came out on top. A great buy! // 9

GRG150 Reviewed by: migspanelo, on april 26, 2012

Purchased from: audio phile, philipines

Features: I think it was made in china? Never was disclosed to me, it has 24 frets no scallops, Body is just the standard size, it has a way selector which easily being damaged it has static now. // 4

Sound: It's just fine I used it before for thrash metal, now for variety, I use a Marshall MG 10 at home while on practice at the gigs any blasted amps and no choices at all! It has good + 10 pickups. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Great guitar - only thing with this guitar is first the springs on the floyd does not hold the tension that strong I have to add another spring (well good thing it has options for additional springs not like the RG series only be for 3 springs that's it! W/c makes it harder for my tension can't create trill on the whammy bar and the whammy bar is loose it makes this awful sound when you make trills! // 5

Reliability & Durability: Yeah, it's for live playing, just done use the trills technique and volume technique. // 3

Overall Impression: I play genre like Steve Vai, playing oldies favorites hits like 70s to 80s rock with a touch of Steve Vai's style. I've been using the guitar for about 2 years nos almost 3 favorite feature is the pickups. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014