GRG220DEX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/30/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRG220DEX
It has a 24-fret medium size rosewood fingerboard with Shark-tooth inlays that ooze metal! Also the inlays are neatly integrated.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 7.9
 8.4
 7.4
reviews (2) pictures (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
GRG220DEX Reviewed by: Ruchitya T Anan, on september 28, 2009

Features: This guitar was probably released in 2007 or 2008. Don't know for sure but i purchased it in May 2009. This model is not displayed on the American Ibanez web page but is available in most other markets. It fits in as a guitar for the GRG series aficionado with a mid-price range(price I paid is regarded high in my country btw!). It has a 24-fret medium size rosewood fingerboard with Shark-tooth inlays that ooze metal! also the inlays are neatly integrated so no problems there. The body is basswood and produces a good bassy feel with a definite ability to hit highs as well. However the finish is a letdown as it is prone to scratching and also fingerprints that look real dirty on it's black glossy finish. It comes with the typical RG series styling so no surprises waiting there. The bridge is a ILT Floyd Rose locking style although it does go out of tune easily if not locked, so locking the strings once tuned is more of a must. I'm not too sure if the pickups are passive or active. They come in EMG-stlye covering and have a tribal ART design that makes them quite stylish and distinctive. Although here it must be mentioned that the pickups definitely hesitate to take on classical rhythm the same way they jump into and lead or even better, rock music! It comes with a 3-way selector with one neck and one bridge pickup. The neck pickup adds a certain amount of depth and good feel to music, especially rhythm playing. However the bridge pickup gets more serious with definite "affinity" to anything hard and loud! the tuners are all black and double-locking. No accessories were included apart for a foam-padded gigbag and allen wrenches. // 8

Sound: I play hard-rock to thrash metal and good ol' metal with fused industrial rock attributes. This guitar suits those harder and punchier genres of music very well. But i do experiment with a softer and more rhythmic music genre sometimes and that is where this guitar disappoints a little. It is quite evident that rhythm is not what this was meant for from the outer appearance as well anyways. But for punchier genres of music and at this price, you should definitely check it out. This was built for mainly hard-rock so just use it for that! I have mated this to a Roland Cube 20X and this enhances the sound quality if anything else. I am not a big fan of Marshall amps so for the more elegant(and rather expensive)and more between-Marshall-and-Vox Roland, I definitely give a thumbs-up! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up really well. However the bridge was raised a little too high but the fretboard is a delight to use! I have and had no problems with the pickups, only thing being that I wish they were also adaptable to gentler music types. I didn't have nothing else as a problem apart from the inner cavities of the guitar where some areas are not finished properly, but the exterior was mice and neat and perfect(well, almost!) the strings were also light gauge and replacing the strings is a bit of a pain in the ass. however that is to be expected of a double-locking system so not much of a complaint. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definitely take a beating! I would not hesitate taking it Live. The buttons for the strap were also very good and ideally placed. The hardware will last a good punch and in terms of reliability I have no problems at all. It's been 6 months since I got this and I haven't gone in for any major maintenance duty or anything like that. It's only the paint that I'm a little concerned about because the glossy finish really doesn't feel like something to be handled with iron nails! This guitar also comes with a 1-year limited warranty and that (a little) further emphasizes the confidence that this product will definitely last. // 9

Overall Impression: For The Music I mainly follow this guitar truly rocks! I have been playing for over 1 1/2 years and also have a J&D Acoustic. I would buy this guitar of stolen, firstly because this is my first electric guitar, and secondly this thing is worth every piece of dough you pay. I had compared it to the ESP FM series and F series and AX series and going by other reviews also, this seemed the better guitar to purchase. I just wish the guitar had a constantly improving and rocking guitarist, which I will aspire for btw! // 8

GRG220DEX Reviewed by: KentVesselkyt, on june 30, 2011

Purchased from: Rhapsody Valley Music Centre

Features: Made in China. Bought it in 2007. 24 frets, very fast fret but if you wanna play 24th, have to angle the hands abit since that it is originally don't have Custom cutaway. Bass Wood body, perfect for RG shaped guitars. Due to the vibration that can be very comfortable travel around the guitar body. Two humbuckers, perfect combination to play stuffs like Dream Theater, Racer X, or even Symphony X. Actually can play anything, but these the bands I can refer to due to my fav music. I have my black night color for it and it just looks brutally metal man. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with Ibanez 10G amp and Dean Markley amp. Sounds perfect as two different amps have different tonalities but still GRG220DEX can scream with both amps. Played couple of times live and hell yeah, I'm going top use it forever man since that this guitar provide me with comfortable feel and sound. Better than LTD for sure. Recently I'm using it with Boss ME-25. What I can say is, I feel like a star man. Great sounding. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything pretty Standard for the set up good for everything but since that I love challenges so I set up strings to higher gauge while still playing in Standard E. 010 and 011. Very nice to play chords and distortion. The only flaw is the imperfect paint job inside the wiring system section. But who cares, it covered by the plastics. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, can be use to play live for sure. I don't so that I'll put the guitar aside if I have opportunity to play bigger shows. Because I really like this guitar. We don't judge guitars by the price or brand, but we judge it by the feel and sound. Anyway, we salute a player most of the time by its playing and not the gears ok. Players with expensive gears but play like shit equal to bad players. you get what I mean? I changed the Bridge so far because I heavily used it for dive bomb and ended up I damaged it. But so far the overall for the guitar is fine. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal most of the time, but sometimes will jamm in normal ballad songs. So whatever it is, this guitar definitely serve me well. I have been using this GIO baby for 4 years and I think it is better than Epiphone and LTD. Get one and play like a pro. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ EDR170 8.7 Electric Guitars 11/18/2014