GRG250DX Review

reviews (3) pictures (1) 29 comments vote for this gear:
GRG250DX Reviewed by: Tonyborbony, on november 09, 2010

Price paid: € 340

Purchased from: Muziekhandel Piet Joosten

Features: Mine was made in Indonesia. I don't really know in what year. I imagine early 2010 though. But don't quote me on that. Specs: - 24 medium frets - Maple neck - Basswood body - Edge III bridge - PSND1 in the neck position (H) - PSNDS in the middle (S) - PSND2 in the bridge position (H) - Red Sharktooth inlays - Black finish - Red pickguard - Ibanez non-locking tuners That's about it I believe. To be honest, the only reason I bought this guitar is because I thought it looked kick ass. It's my first guitar anyways. So judging from the looks I'd give it 10 points. The Floyd Rose style bridge is a pain in the ass sometimes though, but it stays in tune pretty well. // 9

Sound: I mainly play rock and metal, bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Metallica, Pantera etc. At first I just used it with a Marshall AVT50X but I found the distortion slightly disappointing so I bought a Boss ML-2 pedal. The bridge pick up doesn't really give much of a humming sound, but the middle and neck pick up hum like crazy if you get what I mean. I love the sound though, I like turning the reverb on my amp all the way up and play on the middle/neck pick up on the clean channel. For more heavy stuff the bridge pick up is fine for me. The sound the guitar can make ranges from very pretty clean stuff with the reverb to really aggressive roars. It's not as good as some of the more expensive guitars but for the price it's very good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When it came with the mail I noticed that the action was incredibly low. I was very happy to see that, I got some minor buzz though, so I had to adjust it a bit. The bridge was set up perfectly. I guess Ibanez' quality control is awesome. I did Switch out the strings to Dean Markley Blue Steel strings though. I also put strap locks on it immediately Other than that it was perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played with this guitar two or three times live and it did an amazing job. I do think it's reliable but I would bring a back up if I had one. The finish seems thick enough, I have this guitar for almost two years now and the finish is still perfect. The paint on the locking nuts and bridge is starting to come of though. // 7

Overall Impression: It fits my style perfectly I just wish it had a more aggressive sound though. Also, one of the reasons I bought this guitar, other than the looks, is because of the Floyd Rose style bridge. I kind of regretted it though, especially when I switched to Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. The fiddling around with the bridge took me hours! Now I know why the local guitar shop charges so much for a full set up on a Floyd Rose... So overall it's a great guitar for the price you have to pay for it and it can compete with the more expensive models. I'm not sure if I'd buy this guitar again if I ever lost it or if it got stolen, I will probably for the sentimental value. // 8

GRG250DX Reviewed by: mega_frog0, on march 25, 2010

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: Production completed on 28/4/2009 Bought on 18/9/09 Strat (Ibanez RG To Be Specific) Shape 24 XJ Frets, Maple Neck, Rosewood fingerboard, Red Sharkteeth Inlays Basswood Body, Black Flat Finish with Red Binding Red Pickguard with Ibanez PSND2 (Bridge) PSNDS (Middle) PSND1 (Neck) (All Passive) Ibanez Edge III Tremolo Pickup Selector (5 Way) 1 Volume Nob and 1 Tone Nob Ibanez Non-Locking Tuners Overall, a very well built and specc'd guitar, even more so when you consider the price of only 260. I have had it since September, and I have never had a problem with it (touch wood). In my opinion, a bargain guitar that can't be matched by even some guitars double the price // 10

Sound: I play heavy metal mostly, but also the odd hard rock song. This is through a Roland Cube (Set to R-Fier with Bass full, Middle full and Treble 7/8ths of the way up) I also use DigiTech Death Metal and Bad Monkey pedals with my Roland Cube and a Laney LV120. The pickups are really high output, perfect for divebombs, pull-ups and squeals. Admittedly, the bridge pickup could use some more bass to it, as quite often, I find there is just a tiny something lacking in the sound. But considering these are bog Standard Ibanez pickups, they work fantastically. And it is worth fiddling around with your amp settings to get a thick crunchy sound. These pickups are very versatile, and all 3 can pretty much be used for any style. They all sound amazing with or without any kind of distortion, and I would certainly use it for recording. One other thing that I am really impressed with, is the sustain. I can do a squeal pull-up, and be there for ages just holding it. This really is a versatile guitar (minus the appearance) // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly from the factory. The action was as low as humanly possible without any kind of buzz, the pickups are an ideal height. I have barely touched the setup (minus one time with the tremolo, and boy did I regret it) The neck was perfectly aligned to suit the set-up, everything has just been put on this guitar solidly. In my opinion, Ibanez have some of the best quality control that you can get. And to see such quality on such low end models really brings confidence to me in the company. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only used this guitar live once, and it coped with ease. Especially as I didn't have a back-up and I am using a floating tremolo, I was very impressed (I would always recommend a back-up though. No matter how well a guitar is put together, a string snapping is always a possibility) It is very well put together. I often do maintainance on my guitars, and I do often check them over. And so far, nothing has fallen off of it. So I am very happy about that. Unfortunately, I have found that the wood is quite easy to damage. I am not sure whether it is the wood itself not being especially durable (basswood) or whether it is the finish. In my opinion, the finish does seem a little on the thin side. But accidents are going to happen, no matter how careful you are. And I quite like the odd dent in my guitars. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play heavy metal, and aesthetically, is certainly does the job. Then you plug it in, and it just sounds really good. No matter what style you play. Again, at times, the pickups can be a tad on the thin side, but all you need to do is just adjust some of the amp/pedal settings, and you are ready to rock. It has an unbelievable amount of sustain, and just destined for metal. If it were stolen or lost, I would certainly buy another. I would definitely choose it over, for example, a Jackson Randy Rhoads Series (which I was trying at the same time) Again, in my opinion, this guitar can trounce other guitars that are twice it's price, or maybe even more! When I was looking for a new guitar, I was trying out shed loads of alternative ones. I was looking mainly at Jackon Roads' & Dinky's and ESP F Series' and EX series. And for me, this just blew all of them out of the water completely. The main reason being price, and the second being the sustain. I tried out all the guitars in identical conditions, and none of them had the sustain that my Ibanez does. And being an avid trem user, this was a massive thing for me. I also found that the Jacksons, in particular, were quite badly built. I have found that Ibanez (out of all the companies I have tried) have the best quality control. Even on their base package models. The only thing that I wish this guitar had is either an EMG HZ FH2 bridge pickup, or a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker and a push/pull tone splitter. Other than that, this guitar is perfect for me. // 10

GRG250DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2010

Purchased from: GAK(I think)

Features: This guitar is amazing. 24 frets, humbuckers, locking tremolo bridge, and an almost wizard ( the famous Ibanez neck ) quality neck. On scale with the pric of the actual wizard necked guitars, this one is probably better. It's a Strat but not the classical Fender american strat, it's the trademark Ibanez Strat. The pickup inlays and spikes which is always a nice feature. One of the brilliant things about the bridge is the ability to change the string height, which makes hammer ons and pull offs alot easier with barely any effort. If you play normally with standard-E tuning, then thats saving you alot of trouble necause if you want to drop tune this guitar you have to losen the nut, higher the strings, tune it in, the tighten the nut again. But the annoying thing is, Ibanez don't even give you the right allen key to do ANY of this so you might need to take this into consideration before getting this guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds brilliant. It sounds especially good on the metal channels (obviously, It's an Ibanez) the neck makes shredding and things like fast riffs alot easier. I play ALOT of Metal, MOstly Bullet For My Valentine, and this guitar is PERFECT for it. I also use it for Rock n' Roll, such as KISS, Guns n' Roses, U2, Aerosmith ect. the guitar deals with all genres expertly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't adjusted anything except for the string height for when I drop-tune, But it is relativley( sorry I can't spell ) easy. The most annoying thing is the tremolo (or whammy) bar. the bridge doesn't go out of tune easily by using it, which is good, but there are no threads on th whammy bar so sometimes it just drops out of the bridge in the middle of a song, so bare that in mind. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for a couple of months and I haven't had any problems with it so I guess 10. // 10

Overall Impression: I highly recommend this guitar! If it were stolen I would track down him who stole it and rip his ballsack off. Then get another one if I couldn't find it. I own a DigiTech RP-350 and a Fender frontman amp, but I'm planning on selling the amp and FX proscescor(More baad spelling) and Getting a Vox Valvetronix VT30 amplifire and a Boss GT-10 FX Prosesscor(<----Sorry again). And I think it will fit perfectly. The guitars price is abseloutly STUNNING. BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY. This guitar isn't really for beginners because of the complicated bridge and locking nut, But, except for that, wether your a bedroom-gigger or Kirk Hammett. This guitar is the one :-) // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014