GRG270B Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/05/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRG270B
24-fret thin, flat and fast Wizard II necks. Thru-necks on the RGT42 models. Pickups and pickup placement provide the hard-edge cutting tone need for metal and hard rock. Fixed bridge and synchronized standard trems as well as Ibanez's famous double-locking systems.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 8.9
 9.1
 8.7
reviews (10) pictures (4) 68 comments vote for this gear:
GRG270B Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Purchased from: Music 47

Features: The Ibanez GRG270B is made in indonesia. The guitar has a thin 24 fret neck, with perloid dot inlays. The guitar itself has an entirley black finish, including hardware, with solid black tone and volume controls etc. It has a cutaway style, pointed at tips. It has a locking bridge, and floyd rose style tremlo. Included with the guitar was a gig bag and a selection of alan keys for use with adding a spring for heavier gauge strings, and re-tuning the guitar and raising or lowering the tremlo system, there is one volume and one tone control on the guitar itself, with a 5 position pickup selector. it has two humbuckers and one single pickup. // 10

Sound: This guitar is great for rock and metal. I mainly play metal and hardcore, for which the guitar is perfectly suited. I play through a 100 watt Vox Valveatronics amp, with loads of inbuilt effects, the guitar sounds brilliant with distortion etc for metal, but also sounds great on clean channels for playing softer stuff. You get very little or no unwanted feedback off the guitar. This guitar is capable of creating a rich variety of sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up when I baught it, although I was getting slight fretbuzz from the way the tremlo system was set up. The pickups on the guitar are slightly loose, but other than that, it came in perfect condition, with no flaws that needed any sort of repair etc. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing well, although if your guitar goes out of tune whilst playing, its a bitch to retune it as you have to remove the locking bridge with an alan key, retune it, reaply the bridge and then fine tune it again at the bottom, also not good if you need to Switch tuning types. This guitar seems very well made, and the hardware seems really reliable. I use anouther guitar at gigs for different tunings, as it's not practical to Switch during a performance. // 8

GRG270B Reviewed by: snbritishfreak, on january 12, 2005

Purchased from: Opus 400

Features: This guitar is one of Ibanez's new models. Made in 2004 it was made in Indonesia. The neck has 24 thin frets on maple wood. The body is maple wood solid-top. The body is a cut away at the top and bottom that end in two pointed ends. It has a locking tuning system and the strings are held in with a clamp. There are two unnamed knobs: one for volume and one for tone. It also contains a 5 way selector for the H-S-H style pick-ups. The guitar came with four allen keys: (for the locks, clamps, bolted neck and another for the bridge). It also came with a whammy bar and a spring. The cutaway body is comfortable and not very heavy. // 8

Sound: I play punk and metal. The two humbuckers sound brilliant for both, thought I tend to use the single coil for the lighter punk. I only use distortion with it and it sounds awesome. The humbuckers are very thick and full and give an amazing sound. My amp is a 38 watt, but still the sound is briliant. Unlike my last guitar (Squier Standard Strat) it gives very little unwanted feedback or buzzing. The neck is good for bends and the whammy bar can reely go far. Harmonics also sound good. However apart from that it gives very little variety. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is fitted very nicely. The tuning knobs stay put and the locking tuners reely work well! I've had to tune my guitar maybe three times and I've had it for about month, compared to my old guitar which I had to tune about 3 times a week. One of the humbuckers is slighty loose, but the others are fitted well and ajusted nicely. The pick-up slelctor is quite noisy, but those are reely the only flaws. I am impressed at the improvement from my Squier. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstand me blasting it through the amp very well. Also the pick-ups don't get out of place and the controls etc. keep put when I'm jamming with friends. We love to go nuts and the guitar withstands it very well. The hardware is fitted in place so nicely I'm hoping to own this guitar for years. The strap buttons don't mess around at all. I used to have to screw them in all the time but these stay put. As I said earlier it withstands my jamming. This finish should last a while and hasnt shown any signs of wear yet at all. Hopefully this will stay. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is brilliant for punk rock and the metal fits in quite necely as well. I've been playing more than 2 years now and as a second guitar I couldnt have asked for anything better. My distortion pedal sounds amazing with it and I cant wait to start playing small gigs (at freinds hosue, backyard etc). If I lost this guitar I would be devastated. I would buy it again, but not all of us have the kinds of money just to buy it again. I love the look of he guitar and the sound. The amp makes amazing sounds with this guitar and it will be with me a long time. The only thing I hate is that I didnt get it earlier! But seriously my only problems with it are that the humbucker is a bit loose, and the locking tuners make it difficlt to keep in tune if I want to change the tuning. Compared to my Squier Standard Strat this guitar is amazing. I play it all the the time and show it off to my friends because everyone loves it. I always have people asking me to show it them or for them to play it. // 10

GRG270B Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: I like playing rock and some metal and it really sounds nice. When I saw this guitar standing in the shop where I bought it, I was doubting on buying it but then I played on it and it sounds amazing. I using an 25 watt amp, mostly with distortion and it gives a rich sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is fitted very well. The special bridge on the guitar stands really good and I really don't had to tune my guitar alot yet. My other guitar is nothing compared with this one. It really plays good! // 10

Overall Impression: I play the rock and metal music and it really matches with this guitar, but the metal matches more. I play for 3 years now, this is my third guitar and I mean it when I say it's the best I ever had! I love the color of the guitar, just black gives good impressions on metal gigs. And if this guitar is stolen I'd buy right away a new one, if I had the money again. But hey, it's a lovely guitar! // 10

GRG270B Reviewed by: Feed, on july 07, 2006

Purchased from: Sergio Tomassone

Features: This guitar was made in indonesia in 2004. It's blue, it has got a thin 24 fret neck with white dot inlays. It has got tone and volume controls and a 5-way pickup selector. it has got two double pickups and one single. It has also got a floyd rose bridge with a tremlo bar and locking tuners. Any accessories were included. // 9

Sound: I used to play punk on it but now I play metal, and the guitar has always suited perfectly. I use this guitar with a 30watt Marshall amplifier and I succeed in getting a heavy sound even if I don't use any effect. It's quite noisy but it depends on the position of the pickup selector and the tone control. I personally don't like its clean sound. With its five pickups you can reach any type of distortion, even the heaviest. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is fitted quite well. It has only got a problem with the frets: I had to distance the strings from the neck because the 13th fret is higher than the 12th. The neck has got a little hole on the top and the pickup selector is quite noisy. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands well all live playings. It wasn't necessary to tune it during live playing so far. If you tune it from G to D the strings touch the bridge so you can't play bands like COB or Death, and that's a pity. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is suitable for any kind of music, but it isn't perfect for hard rock and blues. It's my first guitar and I couldn't live without it. I've been playing it for a year and two months and I have never thought about buying another one so far. I love it because it has got 24 frets and its pickups are positioned in the best place. It's also very comfortable to play both sitting and standing (more than a Jackson for example). I hate it because I can't tune it from G to D. I think I would buy it again if it breaks down or if someone steals it. I advise everyone to try or better to buy it 'cause it's such a great guitar. // 9

GRG270B Reviewed by: ssoRRoss, on april 02, 2010

Purchased from: Gear4Music.com

Features: The Ibanez GRG270B was made in Indonesia I think. Not more than 2 years ago anyway. It features a full gloss black super Strat style body, thin Ibanez wizard ii neck I think and 24 medium rosewood frets. All black hardware. It has stock Ibanez pickups H-S-H - 2 humbuckers and at the middle position a single coil with a 5-way pickup selector to choose different combinations. It has one tone and one volume knob, without numbers so it doesnt't ruin the look. It has an Ibanez Edge 3 floating tremelo and locking tuners. // 10

Sound: I play metal so this guitar is ideal. It sounds very heavy but also has a nice clean sound. I use currently a Behringer V-AMP2 with it and its great, so much better than my cheap Strat copy. It buzzes slightly on high gain settings a bit but what guitar doesn't? This guitar can make any sound you want it to make, especially with the tremelo which is great and stays in tune well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and pickups were adjusted fine for my liking as I don't really know much about that stuff. Its finish is high quality and there are no faults or defects with it apart from a loose strap button which needs to be screwed in every so often. The knobs are smooth and tuners aren't loose or anything, it stays in tune for ages, provided you don't completely thrash the whammy bar which causes it to go out a bit obviously. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should withstand live playing well, its built solid and wont seem to break although the strap button could be problematic but I'm sure that's not too common... You may want to replace the pickups but they seem durable enough. I wouldn't use it at a gig without backup because you should always have backup but I doubt I would need it. // 8

Overall Impression: As I play metal this guitar is perfect, it sounds great, is reliable, setup well and looks AWESOME! I have been playing for about a year now and I currently run it through a Behringer V-amp 2. I love basically everything about this guitar. My favourite feature would have to be the tremelo because I've never had one before and they're a lot of fun. Although if it were lost I'd try another brand as there's so much out there I haven't found yet. // 9

GRG270B Reviewed by: Shabalaba, on january 21, 2008

Sound: I play rock/metal most the time so this guitar suits me fine. I use a Valvestate 8080 with this guitar and it sounds fantastic but I have played through other amps and my guitar has sounded fine. The pickups can't handle too much gain, they start giving massive amounts of feedback. I have a very heavy sounding EQ setting (Bass full, No Mid, Full Treble, Half Contour, Full Gain, Quarter Reverb) and it makes this guitar sound fantastic, very full, not very warm, basicly no sustain. If you put your amp on clean it isnt as good, you need to have a few effect pedals to make it sound nice so not much variety. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well when I got it I don't think it was set up very well, the bridge wasn't level, badly out of tune, action was quiet high, but all of that was easy to fix. The 2 humbuckers were well set up but the single in the middle was too high, if you were to palm mute your plectrum would hit the pickups. The paint was well done for both the headstock and the body. The pickup selector is very noisy, some of the frets buzz, one of the tone knobs spins too much. The bridge is the worst part, even with the locking sysytem at the top even the slightest whammying sends it out of tune. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for a year and a few months and apart from a few minor flaws it works fine so I would think it would widthstand Live playing. I take this guitar to and from school about 3 times a week and there has been no problems. The bridge is a cheap Ibanez bridge and is terrible so I can't see that lasting long. The tuners are fine and are pretty good for a low end model. I don't play much standing up so idon't know how good the strap locks are but they seem pretty solid. It isnt a good idea to play a gig without a backup and I always would but I think it would be fine. // 8

Overall Impression: Well compared with my other guitar which is a Vox Standard 25 this guitar is beautiful to play, compared to a lot of other guitars this is very nice to play. I play metal and it suits that perfectly but cleans on this guitar are pretty bad. I have been playing for just over a year now and this has been my main axe, I have a Vox Standard 25 which isnt as nice a guitar. Well this could go either way really but I wish this guitar didn't have a floyd on it so I could change this guitars tuning easily but if I hadnt of had a floyd I wouldn't have learnt as much as I did so I don't think I do really. If this were stolen I would be gutted, I don't think I would get this guitar again, I think I would get a model higher up like a RGT42DXFX. I love the fact that it is sooo comfortable to play but I hate the cheap bridge. I would recomend this guitar to anyone Who is starting out, it is a beginner guitar. // 9

GRG270B Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 22, 2008

Features: This guitar was made in indonesia. It's got 24 frets and they're about the normal scale. It's rosewood and it's quite thin. Really nice to play. I think the body is basswood but I'm not entirely sure, the finish has got kind of a glossy look to it. It's got a licensed Floyd Rose that isn't that much different to the original. Again I'm not sure but I think they are passive pickups. It has one volume and one tone with a 5 way selector. The pickups are double/single/double humbuckers. This guitar would be perfect if it was a set neck. I can't really find anything wrong with this apart from fingerprints show up really badly, so you need to clean it quite often. You may want to block off the bridge so it doesn't come forward because it's a bit of a pain when you bend a string because the rest go flat, so you can't really play 2 strings at the same time if your bending one, if you know what I mean. // 8

Sound: This sounds great with loads of distortion for metal and sounds great if you play classic rock. It also sounds really nice on clean settings. I suggest you use the middle pickup for clean. I play metal, rock, classic rock, punk, jazz, funk, chill out music like chilis and ska music. It sounds great for all of these. I play this through mainly through Marshall amps. It sounds great, not noisy but you can get some great feedback and stuff if you need that. No buzzing. I think it sounds great. If I'm playing concerts or just practising at home I run it through a Zoom G2.1u effect unit which realy makes it sing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up almost perfectly from the factory. The most trouble I had was getting all that annoying see through packaging stuff of it teehee. After a coule of weeks I adjust the angle of the bridge slightly. But that doesn't really matter, in fact, I only did it because I was bored. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am going to be playing a gig soon and I'm definately gonna use this guitar. I won't be taking a second guitar. Everything seems solid on this guitar. I haven't had any trouble with it all. The finish has lasted well so far and I don't think lots of playing will affect it. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for all the styles of music I play. I have been playing for about 2 and a half years and I have never come across anything as goog as this, and believe me I've looked. The only guitars better than this one are ridiculously over-priced. If this was lost or stolen I would definately get a new one or at leat buy another guitar from the Ibanez RG range. I would recommend this guitar to anyone, beginners or experienced players. my favourite features of this guitar are the weight, the low action and the neck. I could play it for hours. This guitar would be perfect of it had seperate tone controls for each of the pickups, but that doesn't really bother me too much. // 9

GRG270B Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2009

Features: The Ibanez GRG270B was made in indonesia it has 24 frets rosewood fingerboard maple neck and basswood body. It is a super Strat shape with an Ibanez Locking trem it has a volume and tone nob both unmarked two humbuker pickups and one single coil and a five way pickup Switch. I got a strap allan keys lead and a gig bag with the guitar. // 10

Sound: I play rock alternative and metal and this guitar suits all three types well. I play thru a Line 6 spider 3 30watt and it's built in efects. the guitar has a very warm sound on the front pickup a very twangy sound on the single coil and a normal trebley sound on the bridge pickup. a awsom all round sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was brilliant! Compared to my stag nitro I didn't get any fret buzz and it is realy low. the neck wasn't bent the pickups at just the rite hight and they wern't lose. The guitar hardly ever goes out of tune because of the locking system but it takes a long time to Switch between tunings. the finish is good, just plain black. I've only had this guitar 1 month but I've bashed it a couple of times and the paint hasn't chipped away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would withstand Live playing but I'm only 12 so I've never giged before. the strap bottons are a lot beter than my old guitars and I don't need strap locks. if I ever do get the chance to gig I would probably only take this guitar A because it's reliable and B my other guitar is realy bad and it doen't sound very good. I think it is a verry reliable guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits what I play perfectley. when I got it from the shop the sales man told me what I had to do to tune it and every thing like thet but I forgot to ask him how to re string it, which took me a long time to work out so if you don't already know ask in the shop. If my guitar was stolen I would find them and smash them round the head with my other guitar and if I couldn't find them I would again spend a long time saving up to buy a new one. my overall impresion is that it is an awsomw guitar. // 10

GRG270B Reviewed by: Rowl3y, on april 10, 2012

Price paid: € 170

Purchased from: second hand

Features: It was made in Indonesia, I don't know the year. It has 24 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a thin maple neck, not as thin as my RG350EX, but its neck is comfortable and good for hyperspeed shredding too. Body is basswood, so its tone has tons of bass and it is awesome for heavyweight modern metal sounds. The guitar's weight is good, the material is not missing. Bridge is Edge III Floating bridge, which is able to stay in tune for weeks if you set it up well. The guitar has H-S-H pickups, a volume and a tone knob and a 5 way selector. The tuners are not some high-end, but I think they would be reliable on a fixed bridge guitar, but this guitar has locking trem. I must mention that the bridge's block has only 3 holes, so you can't tune down the guitar without drilling the block. There are screwed bolt holes in the place of the 4th and the 5th, so the best solution I think is to drill two holes between the bolt holes and the middle spring hole, and then you can make a spring-scheme like this: |/\|. (I must also mention that Edge Pro bridge has the same down tuning problem, which is a shame for high end guitars). // 9

Sound: The bridge humbucker can handle the distortion and the attack of heavy picking, and get the picking nuances. It has good tone, but could have more treble. The neck humbucker's tone is similar, has tons of bass, and almost no treble, so I can't get good clean sound with it. But it is good for distorted shredding if you like solo tones which has clarity and attack at the same time. In the second, third and fourth setting the guitar has a bit cleaner sounds, but it's still not a Fender. The good part is that none of the pickups are noisy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from second hand, and the setup was horrible, but this is not the fault of the factory but the dealer's. It took about one or two days to set up well, but its playing comfort is awesome now, and it stays in tune for weeks even if I pull the tremolo bar all the way down. But I'm sure that Ibanez factory set up the brand-new models not perfectly, but well, so I give a nine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar stays in tune for weeks, the neck is thin, comfortable, and fast, the floating bridge is usable, the pickups are not noisy, each part of it is made to last. You can count on this little metal-axe. I would use it on stage. The finish won't wear off if you take care of the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal tuned down to Drop B and this guitar is good for it. I have played for 4 years, I have an Ibanez RG350EX too and I consider only two differences: a bit thicker neck and different weight-composition. But both of them are good axes, the RG is a bit higher quality. If it were stolen I would buy it again. I love everything about the guitar I just want to change the pickups, and I'm sad because Ibanez (while designing the Edge system) didn't care about us, who like down tuning. // 9

GRG270B Reviewed by: zakarai, on december 05, 2012

Purchased from: Friend

Features: - Body: Basswood body - Bridge: Sites say it is an Edge III but I do not think it's correct -- Neck Specs: - Neck Type: GRG2 Maple neck - Fret: Medium frets - Scale: 648mm/25.5" - Width at Nut: 43mm - Width at Last Fret: 56mm (at 21 F) - Thickness at 1st: 19.5mm - Thickness at 12th: 21.5mm - Radius: 400mmR -- Pickups & Hardware: - Neck Pickup: PSND1 (H) neck pu - Middle Pickup: PSNDS (S) mid pu - Bridge Pickup: PSND2 (H) bridge pu - 1 Volume Control - 1 Tone Control - 5 Way Pickup Selector I've had this guitar for quite some time now, about two years and for a cheap, beginner guitar, it is actually quite a piece of work. Starting off with the pickups. Funnily enough, for a cheapo, the pups are quite punchy and add quite a nice hit to your tone. Much better than the infinity pickups on most Ibanez. The bridge, I doubt it is an Edge III because I have seen and used an Edge III before and they are similar but they are definitely different. I have had some problems with the bridge tuning wise, like, it stays in tune, but the slightest touch of the bridge pulls the whole tuning down just the littlest bit and also raises it. They are all intact but in entirely in say, standard. The rest of the guitar is nicely made and done well. I will give the features an 8 though because of the bridge. Otherwise it would have been a 9. // 8

Sound: I play various amount of genres, mainly progressive metal but when I used to play this guitar a lot, it was essentially plain metal. Speaking in the metal genre, I was running this guitar through a Zoom G1 in to a Marshall MG15FX if I can remember correctly and they guitar definitely had that hard rock/metal feel to it. The pickups were actually really decent for an Ibanez, very punchy pickups and much better than Infinities. When I played I did use a noise gate in my chain BUT, I have played this guitar through amps alone and the pickups really do help with added tone through my amp. Essentially, they aren't the best pickups obviously! But for an Ibanez, well done! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar (from my friend) he knew what he was doing. It was in Drop D and the action and fit on the bridge was near enough perfect. As I said above, I do NOT think it is an Edge III, but it was "decent". You could certainly do your crazy dive bombs and such but the only problem was the smallest nudge on the bridge can bring the whole tuning down just the littlest bit. The rest of the guitar was clean and very well adjusted. No flaws at all except the bridge. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar a lot, including many gigs and has withstood very well. I have never had problems with the tuning going out (as it being a double locking) and nothing has ever really broken, maybe just the smallest paint scratches but nothing serious. They strap buttons are locked down pretty well and I can depend on using this guitar again at another gig without it breaking down. I have owned this guitar for a good 2 years now and there isn't any problems with it (yet!). But I can depend on this guitar as a backup too! // 10

Overall Impression: So I play everything from blues/jazz to hard rock/progressive metal and it does work well in all these genres, but perhaps that might only be because I do end up tweaking tones on my amp/pedal A LOT to get it ust right to my liking. Mainly, this guitar would be used for your metal. It looks it, feels it and definitely sounds it! If there was one thing I would have wanted to know more of before I bought it was the bridge but it doesn't really bother me anymore. I would definitely buy this guitar again if I'm honest but the fixed bridge version of course. Not only would I use it as a backup but also as my main!

// 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014