GRG270DX Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/07/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRG270DX
It gives you the straight features of a RG Ibanez guitar for a cheap price.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 7.8
 7.4
 6.5
reviews (6) 35 comments vote for this gear:
GRG270DX Reviewed by: madpickin03, on may 03, 2006

Purchased from: Yamaha Music Malaysia

Features: Gio Series Ibanez, I don't think its sold in the US. - Made in China in January 2006 - 24 medium frets - Solid top - Basswood - Navy Metallic finish - Double cutaway, 2 pointy edges - Licenced Floyd Rose tremolo, Ibanez ILT bridge - Passive electronics - 1 volume, 1 tone knob and 5-way pickup selector - H/S/H, Ibanez PSND, powersound pickups - Die-Cast tuners with double locking nut - Included accessories, guitar cable and 3 hex wrenches. // 9

Sound: Generally, Ibanez stock pickups does suck and even in their Prestige models they still do. Ranging from PSND, INF and IBZDMRZO, they still needs changing. This guitar suits my music style very well. Basically I play blues, metal, progressive rock, classic rock, and shred-rock. The amp I'm currently using is an old Crate GX-15 practice amp which is crap btw but I have high hopes for this guitar once I change the pickups and amp. She only gets noisy if you have the pickup set-up too high. I hardly use the middle pickup as she gets in my picking way and the sound is very dull. I don't really expect much from the pickup but she still pack up a punch. On bridge, she has that twangy kinda sound and good for picking up harmonics, the neck is good for fast licks. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar's finish was flawless. That's probably the only thing that is really really good on this guitar. The navy metallic finish is great and I could rate 11 for this. The action was default Ibanez setup, I went home at set her up again to meet my preference, to lower her as low as possible without any buzzez. She plays almost as good as she was on a jumbo fret. The bridge was properly and evenly routed and there is no chip or anything on this guitar. The bridge doesnt seem to go out of tune like what I've heard from other cheap Ibanezes trems but hey, its only been a couple of months, you'll never know. The only thing that bothers me was that the bridge's pickup hole wasnt properly drilled making it a bit off. But thats fine to me, the sound was still the same. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't really trust this guitar's trem very much. I mean, she's good for practicing, jamming and whatnot but I'm not sure whether this is a good rig for a live gig. So far the tremolo has held up pretty well but I've seen quite of a sign that the knife edges will wear off (hopefully she doesnt). The strap buttons are very solid and sturdy. I would definetely depend this on a gig but preferably with a backup if I use the trem often. The finish will last probably very long as I've dropped hex wrenches, knocked the headstock to the wall couple of times and she still doesnt show any chips or dings. I'll rate her 8 for uncertainty. // 8

Overall Impression: For my style of playing, this is a good guitar but can be better with good pickups. I've been playing guitars for almost 2.5 years ranging from classic, acoustic and electric. I don't own much gear but I'd be expecting a Boss DS-1 Distortion any soon. I'll be moving to the states next year so I won't spend much money here. If she was stolen or lost, I'd buy another high end Ibanez. The thing that I loves most about her was her finish and the playability of her neck and definetely her smell. The thing I hate is her pickups and the most uncertain thing is the ILT bridge licenced tremolo. I've always been a sucker for Ibanez or ESP guitars 'cause they just melt me. I've compared this guitar with other Yamaha RX models, Ibanez GRG170DX, some washburns and this was probably the best. I only wish she had a jumbo frets instead of medium, like the RG270DX. // 8

GRG270DX Reviewed by: kennethdave, on december 06, 2007

Features: I'm not sure when mine was made, but it's made in China, as most GIO's are. It has 24 medium frets, uses the GRG neck which is maple, the fretboard is rosewood. It's a solid top, has a basswood body, mine is a kinda like sunburst finish, but it's called blue burst (I think, I can't remember). The body style is a double cutaway, as most of the RG and GRG models are. Uses an Ibanez ILT1 bridge (License Floyd Rose) and has passive electronics. It has one volume and one tone knob plus a 5-way pickup selector. The pickup configuration is H/S/H, and are just some Standard pickups from Ibanez. Has a locking nut and the included accessories were a cable and 3 hex wrench, that's all. // 8

Sound: I play loads of music styles, mainly heavy rock, classic rock, alternative, heavy metal, blues, contemporary christian, modern stuf, oldies, almost everything. I use this guitar through a Roland Cube-30, and it has worked pretty fine so far. I don't use much effects, the only thing I run this through is a delay pedal and that's bout it. The guitar has too much treble, which is really horible if you're bad at getting your EQ settings right, I had to spend a lot of time getting the right settings I wanted. The neck humbucker generally is good when clean, when distorted is also fine, but not top class, it's good if your playin purely lead guitar and clean strumming. The single coil is really dull, not that good, maybe if you're using some acoustic simulator it'll work okay. The bridge humbucker is really good when distorted, nice leads and riffing, not bad when clean, depends on what your playin, if you're into those maiden type clean stuff, it'll go well. Harmonics work fine, but without a doubt I could get better harmonics with the guitar turned off, this shows the pickups are quite weak. All this is provided you have a good EQ setting and a decent amp. it's best if you could get separate EQ settings when distorted and when playin clean, use some multi-effects pedal which has this kind of function. Only then you could get some decent sound. But other than that they work okay. it's a really versatile guitar, partly thanks to the amp. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was horrible, realy really horrible. I had to do loads of stuff to get it properly set up. I lowered the action, adjusted all the pickup heights, tightened down the bar which pushes down the strings(the bar above the locking nuts) and adjusted the spring cavity cause it wasn't holding the guitar in tune very well at first after restringing. After doing all this, only then did the guitar fit Ibanez standards, hehe. The bridge actually holds the tuning really well, and I do use the whammy bar a lot, mostly for divebombs and slap harmonics (like what kristofer dahl taught over here at UG). I play the guitar for a couple of days without retuning, only slight adjustments which can be done with the fine tuners on the bridge. The colour and finish of the guitar is really cool. Mine had no flaws in it, so that's a good thing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have done a number of gigs, with my band and and for some christian conventions and camps, usually with auiences ranging from 50 to about a few hundred people. I play lead, and sometimes i'm the only guitarist. So it has worked fine SO FAR. Although i would definately recommend a backup guitar. I've jumped with the guitar, knocked it here and there, droped it a couple of times and it has lasted my abuse for about 3 years now. Only my bottom strap button have become loose so far. The hardware looks like it can last long, but with care by the user of course. The guitar collects dust and fingerprints superbly well, so i polish it once a week and every time i restring the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar works well for what I play. I've been playing guitar for 5 years, acoustic and electric and bass as well. I've played this guitar for about 3 years and finally decided to give a review on it. I wouldn't cry so much if it were stolen, I would just get a better Ibanez, that's all. I tell you honestly, this guitar has served me very well, I love it and it loves me. For the price your paying, you get what you pay for. The bad thing is only the pickups if I had to choose. If I had enough money, I'll definately change the pickups, they're really quite dull. // 7

GRG270DX Reviewed by: Julian_Slash, on november 20, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: It's a 24 fret, Strat style body, matt finished, basswood body, no idea what the neck is made of though. It's got a floyd rose licensed bridge, 2 humbuckers and a single coil in h-s-h configuration which are Ibanez stock pickups. A five way pickup selector, passive electronics and Standard tuners. No other accessories were included, damn cheapo Singaporeans! // 6

Sound: Its average, doesn't sound too good, but not too bad either. I've got a DOD 60 watt amp which is freaking loud but it doesn't sound amzing, average at best. I listen to a lot of Children Of Bodom and Metallica, rap too, but you can't play those on guitar, you'd need synthesizers for those. It's rather noisy, was thinking of changing the pickups and stuff but realised changing them and the floyd would cost more than the guitar itself, might as well just save up for new one of better quality. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty nicely, low action typical of Ibanez guitars, but there were two major flaws. There were chips in the paint and tremolo arm just snapped off the bridge one fine day. Good thing they were nice enough to replace and fix everything at no extra cost. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Yea, I guess it would stand Live playing, but if you were good enough to gig, you probably wouldn't have this for a guitar. But the hardware seems to last, the straps buttons have never slipped. I guess I wouldn't have a choice at a gig since I don't have a spare but yea, I guess it is good enough to gig with. // 6

Overall Impression: I play rock and a little metal and have been playing for a year but I wish I had saved up a little more and gotten something a little better. If it were lost or stolen, I'd thank the guy Who stole it so I'd have a reason to buy a new guitar. I do like it's thin neck though since I've got really tiny hands. The only other guitar I compared it to was the GRG 270, chose this cos' it had pretty cool inlays! Well, can't blame me, I was a noob back then and this was my first guitar, when your young a foolish, you look at the aesthetics ahead of everything else don't you? // 7

GRG270DX Reviewed by: Caustic, on july 31, 2007

Features: First, let it be known that I do not own this guitar. I have never bought one (and thus perhaps that may lend me credibility, I am not a disappointed buyer or over-the-moon new owner). I am reviewing from nearly a years worth of experience playing around with one that a friend of mine owns, through various amps by Marshall, Vox, Peavey and Line 6. That out of the way, on with the review. I could not tell you when this guitar was made, but it was made in Indonesia. It features a 24 fret, dot inlay neck with a rosewood fingerboard in the typical Ibanez style, flat and slim. Designed for playing high speed lead guitar on, basically. Or would be, but the factory setup was horrendous and it took a great deal of truss rod and action adjustment before it was wrestled into a comfortable state. If new, you will need to get this properly set up before taking it near an amp. The body is, to my knowledge, made out of basswood. It's very soft and dents easily, but is surprisingly resonant for a low end instrument. The finish is a very glossy blue, feels very thick. It's scratch resistant but not so tough when you knock it and it shows fingerprints up exceptionally well, I've never seen a guitar quite as adept at this one for turning the briefest touch of the cleanest hand into a print so clear it would give the entire cast of CSI a heart attack. The cutaways are very deep, and would allow very easy access to the highest frets if it wasn't for the rather unweildy neck joint, which is very obstructive to this. The bridge is modelled off a Floyd Rose, but not very well. The tremolo system loses it's tuning extremely easily, despite the locking nut. And as with all Floyd Rose systems, it can be a royal pain in the behind to get it back into tune if you slip out in any major way. And that is without any major tremolo work, I never use big divebombs or anything in my playing, just gentle vibrato-esque embellishments, and it struggles even with this. The electronics are all passive, and feature a master volume, master tone and a five-way pickup selector. The guitar is loaded with a H/S/H setup, humbucker in the neck position, a single coil in the middle and a bridge position humbucker. It's tuners are presumably no-name Ibanez stock. As far as guitars go, from looking at what it comes with, it should have all the features to make it a solid, adaptable guitar. Thus I give it a seven despite the tremolo system, you can circumvent that by not using it. But read on. // 7

Sound: First off, the volume difference between the pickups is extreme, noticeable and very, very bad. The neck humbucker is practically a nonentity compared to the massively overpowered and tinny bridge humbucker, and the single coil, while pleasant sounding, just does not have enough output to compete with the bridge pickup. No amount of raising or lowering helped much with this massive imbalance and it still seriously detracts from the overall sound and adaptability of the guitar. I play a variety of styles, and the Ibanez does not cope well with many of them. In hard rock and metal situations, when you can get away with using only the neck humbucker, it is okay. Still very tinny, but it doesdn't sound out of place. For anything else, completely inappropriate. As I have mentioned, it is a very, very treble-heavy guitar. It produces little in the way of midrange and the lower frequencies are only present when you're playing on the neck humbucker, which is utterly pointless thanks to it's volume deficit. While this means that you're unlikely to fight for space with the bassist or rhythm guitarist, it means that it sounds very harsh on the ears, and not in a good way. The cleans are sterile sounding, far too bright on the bridge pickup and far too "quacky" and dead sounding on the neck/middle positions. As with most Ibanez, it takes well to distortion, but you have to be careful with the equaliser, it is all to easy to make it sound like a wasp in a tin can and it is murder to dial in too much treble. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: As noted earlier, the factory setup was bad. Very bad. The pickups were terribly adjusted and feel/sound low quality despite numerous adjustments. If you want to use this for anything other than bedroom practice, you will want to change the pickups and get a proper setup. However, when peoperly setup it feels very pleasant to play, all that lets it down is the horrendous quality of the electronics. And that is a big, big letdown. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Despite numerous dings, it is fairly reliable it continues to put out it's tinny sound regardless of what happens to it. It would withstand Live playing, but I'm not sure the crowd listening to it would. For this reason, I would not use it live if I had the choice. It has kept it's finish well (dings excluded). No colour wear or scratching. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I am not very impressed with this guitar. When you pick up an Ibanez, you usually know what to expect, a guitar built for rock and metal music (though usually capable of plenty more) and with the power and feel to suit. On many other lower end guitars, Ibanez have delivered this. On the GRG, they have not. I love little about it, thanks to the sound it produces due to the shoddy pickups, it's very unstable tuning despite the locking tremolo system I really do not enjoy playing this guitar. Final thoughts about this particular GRG? Buy something else. I have honestly given this guitar more than it's fair chance, many professional reviewers spend a few hours, at best a few days, testing an instrument before drawing their conclusions. This is speaking from months upon months of patient experimentation and regular playing in a band situation, just buy something else. Ibanez do many guitars of a similar price that are vastly superior, and in a wider market outside of Ibanez, you don't have to go far to find a better guitar. I have played Squiers and no-name knockoffs that sound better than this. This guitar reeks of one that is designed to entice the unwary new guitarist with nothing more than it's low price and well known name. For shame, Ibanez. // 4

GRG270DX Reviewed by: javier2012, on november 08, 2007

Features: It gives you the straight features of a rg Ibanez guitar for a cheap price. Of course it's not a prestige model or even a Signiture jem or PG model. In truth it should be modified. I've tried countless prestige models and a couple of signiture series and to be honest it delivers the same prestige feel for me. It has a Locking tremolo ILT1 which I think should be replace to an edge trem. Mine has a Beautiful finish of silver which is very eye catchy. Imagine with an awesome finish for just a small price. When it was first reslease back in 2003 my friends thought it was 400 guitar. Now how cool is that? // 9

Sound: The feel of this guitar is 100% dead on like any other RG. I have the dealer pulled out 5 of this guitars first and tried them all plus a prestige and got the one that I've lookin for. If you after the sound just replace the pickups and you have the expensive tone for a cheap price. This guitar will be with me for a long time. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup perfectly. I got it home, took it out of the box, it was in tune because I had no idea how to deal with a Floyd Rose so the guy at the music store taught me all that. Pickups are adjusted fine, I absolutely can't find anything to make negative comment about. Like one of the other reviewers I love the fact that there is no chrome at all on this guitar. Kinda gives it a dark and sinister look, which I love. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The feel of this guitar is 100% dead on like any other RG. I have the dealer pulled out 5 of this guitars first and tried them all plus a prestige and got the one that I've lookin for. If you after the sound just replace the pickups and you have the expensive tone for a cheap price. This guitar will be with me for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: The feel of this guitar is 100% dead on like any other RG. I have the dealer pulled out 5 of this guitars first and tried them all plus a prestige and got the one that I've lookin for. If you after the sound just replace the pickups and you have the expensive tone for a cheap price. This guitar will be with me for a long time. // 10

GRG270DX Reviewed by: FlameGame, on december 07, 2009

Features: I have the new model with pearl Dot inlay, in the new one they have replaced the Edge III bridge with ILT1... The model which I have was made in China. Description - This Ibanez ( GRG 270 ) Is well established as Ibanez's high quality budget brand, the range is forever been updated to provide even better value for money. This model features a double locking tremolo system and gets you rocking for less than you might expect. Specs: Neck and Frets-Neck Material - Maple Neck Type - GRG II # Frets - 24 Frets Fret Size - Medium Bridge - ILT1 bridge with Floyd Rose Double Locking system.... Pickups - Two humbuckers and one single coil. One volume and one tone control 5-way selector. Tune Lockers at nut and second fine tuners aat bridge. Black Night with gloss finish.. Overall nice features in a very budget model. But I wish the pack included an extra set of screws for the tune locking nut because they can easily get lost! // 8

Sound: I play mainly hard rock, grunge and mostlt Iron Maiden tracks... I am using this axe with a Roland 15X cube and I use it sometimes with a Zoom 707II multi-effects. The guitar sound fine in clean but I wish it had more sustain (the tremolo system hampers sustain)... The single coil pickup give a great amount of noise and it's pure dull crap so I don't use it anyway... The humbuckers are great and can give a lot of sound moderation with effects..The GRG neck is good for quick solos and shreds. The Volume knob gives a noise when not turned to full and the Tone has to be adjusted to not give noise which sucks because the tone gives a huge variety but the noise just takes the fun away... I use the tremolo a lot... I usually play at Standard or Dropped D and this guitar is fine for beginners but the difficult procedure for tuning gives a lot of trouble if you are a rapid tune-changing guitarist (weird?) like I was.....overall nice sound for rock and metal woth the humbuckers but it doesn't have the X-factor you feel special with. This guitar can really give a variety of sounds... I love the clean sound and feel fine with the harmonics. An Important thing to keep in mind is setting the bridge because without it you r screwed! So if you wanna buy this one get it checked properly.. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect with factory settings... If anyone knows where the hell the truss rod adjustment, plz temme! (LOL) the pickups are adjusted amazingly and the tension remains perfect ass long as you don't change te tuning... After changing the tuning you have to adjust the screws at the back of the guitar for the bridge to come in line with the main body... The body was shining like a light when I bought it, However this guitar is a dirt and scratch lover so you really need a cleaning kit for this.(I have a black one and you kno the story) // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can handle gigs very well and the strap buttons never give a problem, they are very sturdy and there is absolutely no probabilty for an accident... The hardware seems durable but I wont give a 100% because I just bought it. This guitar is very dependable and to be true I have never used a backup with or any other guitar, I can depend on any other guitar because the friking guitar depends on us! // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play rock and this basically a good match beacuse I'm always using the neck pickups. I've been playing from 2 years and and this guitar is better than a Washburn X-Serie Model that I had before... Well I wish I could have asked for removing the noise with the volume and tone knobs... If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would definitely buy another one beacause I think I made the wrong choice... If you are buying this guutar, I would suggest you to save for a RG model if you love Ibanez. // 6

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GSR250 8.7 Bass Guitars 10/07/2014