GRGA11 Review

7.5
review (1) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
GRGA11 Reviewed by: albumin, on june 24, 2010

Purchased from: Audiophile Festival

Features: My guitar was made just recently. January 2010 as said on the serial number on the headstock. I just acquired this a week ago. Made in China. Has maple neck, 24 frets, GRGA neck type with medium frets on a Rosewood Fretboard. Body is made of basswood and is painted with Candy Apple finish. The bridge style is hardtail. Pickups are passive. Has 3 way selector and 2 knobs for tone and volume adjustments. Tuners are Ibanez. It came with an Ibanez gigbag, a generic cable, a manual and some allen wrenches for setup. // 9

Sound: Hmmm.. It suits my style. It sounds good/fair for rock and metal. I using it with a sh-tty 20 watts amp. I have no effects and just depend on the distortion channel of that amp. As I said, it sounds just fair. The neck pickup is too bassy/muddy for me. And the bridge pickup sounds less bright. However, it does not have a buzz or humming sound coming from it. With its default pickups, I think you can do some other sounds but they wouldn't sound that good because of poor pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-uped when I got it from the store. Action is alright. Not so high not so low. But I haven't checked yet the intonation if it was set-uped correctly. Pickups are on a good height and position. I haven't checked the routing yet so I can't comment on it. It really looks good from a far. But when I got home, I noticed some flaws on it. The curves I saw on the Ibanez website are not that shown on the actual guitar. The headstock also has bumps factory flaws. Frets on 13th and 14th has some bumps also. I failed to check it on the store. I aslo found a ding near the bolts on the binding. Ibanez quality control... You failed me. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I think the guitar could stand up in gigs, but it will not sound good with default pickups. Hardwares seem to be pretty solid. Strap buttons are good! The finish is, well, so very good. The tried to scratch it using my pick and yet, it is not so visible. Almost not scratched at all. I would use this in a gig as my main axe. Cause I don't have backups. This could be reliable given some modifications. // 9

Overall Impression: For the type of music I usually play (rock and metal), this really fits me. But I also play some blues and jazz. I think I have to buy a Squier Strat or Tele to satisfy my jazz/blues needs. I've been playing for 5 years. This is my third electric guitar. This is my second Ibanez after Ibanez GRG270 which I sold because of tuning problems. I wish this guitar has chrome pickup rings to make it look better. Since it's a gio, I can't wish for better pickups. Also, this has no bindings on the neck. I wish they put it at least like the GRGs. If this was stolen, I will not buy it again. I would rather buy higher end gears. What I love about this is its finish. I love Ibanez Candy Apple finish. But I hate the fact that I got it with many factory flaws. This thing sound better than my brother's Ibanez GRX20 and I think it will sound better with the other guitars below its price range. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014