GRGM21 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 05/28/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRGM21
Its smaller size and shorter scale make the Mikro perfect for young rockers and it's also an ideal grown-up guitar for tour-bus songwriting or practice.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 7.3
 7.7
 8.1
 7.2
reviews (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
GRGM21 Reviewed by: guitarmaniac88, on july 30, 2008

Purchased from: Girardinelli

Features: This is a great beginning guitar for pretty much anybody. It's a China made 24 fret wonder. It is a solid top and it comes in white, black, blue, and cherry red that I have found. It has one volume, and one tone knob (lots of choices) with a three way pickup selector. Neck, neck/bridge, and bridge pickups. It has crappy tuners and it will go out of tune very easily. It's very small, it is a 22.5 scale and weighs 4.5 pounds, compared to my brother's Schecter C-1+ 25 scale that weighs 9.5 pounds, so it's very light. Mine came with a crappy cord that lasted about a week. Though for a 130 dollars, that isn't so bad. And don't quote me, but I think it is a cutaway body. // 7

Sound: I play rock and metal, with some prog rock, and this guitar suits me pretty well. It gives me a good sound, but don't just take it from me, I have only play eight months. I just play out of my brother's old Peavey Rage 138 15 watt amp with no added effects, though it does work pretty good with effects. The amp gives me what I need, clean and distortion. It doesn't make any unwanted noise for me, and it won't if you know what to do with it.It can do everything I've made it do from pinches to tapping, though it can get a bit fuzzy with natural harmonics. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It came fully prepared to rock, the action was set just right, and I haven't had to do anything special to it, though it did go out of tune because of the tuners.(I suggest that you replace them.)The one problem that I had with it was the film on the pickguard. I couldn't get it off under the knobs, so it scratches around trying to adjust volume. My brother tried to take of the volume knob to fix it, and he couldn't so now my volume goes from ten to seven. Other than that, it's good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played Live, but I have a friend Who is a drummer and I have a bass player, so if we started a band, then I could answer this better. I would guess it would do fine with a short gig, but I don't know about really long ones, then is when I would definitely get a backup. I know that the strap buttons are perfect, though I only play sitting, I have tried standing, and they are fine, but I'm not. The finish on mine has gotten scratched fairly easily, so, I'm not sure about that. // 7

Overall Impression: I again play rock and metal, and this works fine, and I love it. The neck is small and fast, even though I am not a small person, this is perfect for me. I have only played for eight months, and I love it. Most of the reason I bought this was because I have always wanted an Ibanez, and it was one of the cheapest, second to the Squier, which one of my friends said not to get. I do kind of want it to be able to have a whammy bar, but it would only get it out of tune quicker, it's bad enough. If I lost it, then I would definitely get it again. I absolutely love this guitar, and the next guitar I want will also be in the Gio series, like this one. I rewrote this because I first submitted it and then submitted a tab the next day, and The tab is accepted, but I can't find this review. // 9

GRGM21 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2010

Purchased from: Woodwindbrasswind.com (wwbw.com)

Features: Not sure on when it was made but I purchased this in March of 09'. Made in hina, 24 jumbo frets, Basswood body, Has a glossy black metallic finish called black night which looks amazing. Its a modified Strat double cutaway with dual passive Ibanez Powersound Humbucking Pickups. Knobs are Volume, tone, and a 3 way pickup selector. Non locking tuners. // 8

Sound: This is my first name brand guitar which the one I had before this was a Strat knock off called a Glen Burton. I play mostly metal, metalcore, and grind and this guitar works very nicely with those genre's. It also works well with classic and mainstream rock as well. I use a Boss Metalcore ML-2 distortion pedal with mine and the low end is just phenomenal, My amp is an older Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 in need of new speakers so the sound quality with this amp is lower than it should be, but it still sounds great. My bandmates can't believe that even though the neck is about 3 inches shorter than a Standard guitar, it still has such a powerful crunch and dominant tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar itself was well setup out of the box, everything was aligned correctly and the guitar was even in tune. No flaws except for a few smudges in the gloss paint, but they came out with some TLC. The only downside of this guitar were the stock strings, they were nice to play on, but very quickly lost their brightness in sound after about 4 hours of play. Replaced with Ernie Ball Slinky's and problem solved. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Have not used in a live show yet but this guitar has not let me down in any of the band practices I have gone to which last for at least 3 hours or more in a single day. All the hardware on the guitar is simple yet effective, I take good care of my equipment so I don't see anything on this guitar failing to work properly anytime soon. Luckily it has a pickguard cause I have a heavy hand, the finish on the guitar is still nice and shiny. I would use this guitar live without a backup however I am getting a full size RG soon just because I need a second guitar for practice. This guitar will be in my arsenal for many years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for me, even better for younger players that have shorter arms. I've been playing regularly since I got the guitar but more often than 5 hours a week since I have been in a band. I don't regret getting this guitar, it's everything I expected it to be and then some. I would definitely get the same style of guitar again although I would opt for the full size guitar of the same series if need be. I love everything about this guitar, my favorite feature is by far the paint job. When I bought this guitar, I compared it to similiar Ibanez models and also some Epiphone and ESP models, I ultimately settles with Ibanez because of the style and also the here-say. Ibanez gives you a great bang for your buck. // 9

GRGM21 Reviewed by: XavNyko, on february 02, 2009

Features: Not a bad guitar. Good for starters to just under expert. 24 frets. Like 5 diff colors. Three way pickup selector with volume and tone knobs. Solid top. 22.2" maple neck. Medium sized frets. Basswood body. Powersound pickups, high output with enhanced harmonics and no muddiness. // 7

Sound: I play a little bit of everything but mostly Metal. I've used various amps from 15 to 120 watts and it sounds good on pretty much any amp with pretty much any effects but, of course, the better the amp the better the sound. It can make any sound you can. Except it goes out of tune a lot, so if you plan on doing some longer gigs then get some better tuners. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect and set to go as soon as I took it out the box. Everything is in proportion and sits fine. The action is great, not to close or far. The finish is nice and sleek, won't be peeling off or nothing. Except you will want to buy some strings, the ones that come with it arnt that great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've sone some brutal shit with this guitar and it's pretty strong for a small guy. Not gonna break this on some simply accident. The strap buttons are perfect, nice and strong and a good fit to any strap. I wouldn't take this giggin unless it was fully upgraded first. // 7

Overall Impression: I've played a lot of guitars with many setups and compared to other guitars this is probably one of the best guitars for under $200. Great for begginers or any Who just wants an extra cheap guitar. you'll love how light it is. The worst thing about it is the tuners but unless you play for hours on end without changing tuning then it's not a major prob. If you need a good cheap guitar then this one is for you. Would I buy it if it was stolen? Yes, only if I didn't have over $200. Not a bad guitar. Just replace the strings and if you feel like it replace the tuners and your good to go. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014