GRX20 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/06/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRX20
GRX Series. Rosewood Fretboard. Maple Neck. Agatis Body. 2 Powersound Humbucker Pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 8.1
reviews (16) 33 comments vote for this gear:
GRX20 Reviewed by: )Eric(Draven, on february 10, 2004

Purchased from: Brook May's Music

Features: The guitar is a normal 22 fret guitar, laminated top. There is one volume and one tone nob which makes for easy control. // 6

Sound: This definitely suits all music styles, I play everything from acoustic emo, to synth rock, to death metal, and it plays all of those very well. I'm currently using a Peavey Blazer 158 amp with the Ibanez Super Tub pedal. Yea I know, old pedal, but it's still kicking and working perfectly. It gives a beautiful rich acoustic clean sound and the heaviest full lead sounds. The tone can give the meatiest bass sound or the crunchiest grunge sounds. I especially love that grunge sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It is a very well set up guitar, well adjusted and great strings out of the factory. The only string that broke on me out of it was the low E and that was about 11 months after i had owned it. The pickups although are a little loose, the one closest to the fretboard is bent down a little after some... tough playing, but it still sounds like it was brand new despite this little incident, and i'm sure it can be fixed if it causes any serious problems. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing, and I don't need a back up when I've got this. It is the most durable guitar ever, I bet I could smash it against the ground, pick it up, maybe repair a few strings, and it would sound fine. I've had it for a year or so and the hardware is in excellent shape, and I do have a scratch or two on the paint but it's not a problem. The strap buttons although can get very insecure, expecially the bottom one. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar especially for beginners. I love every part of this guitar accept for the minor problems but I'm not very gentle with my stuff so it should last any normal person a looooooong time. If someone stole this one I would definitely get it again, a recommendation for anyone. // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: pick_24, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: www.zzounds.com

Features: The features here are pretty basic. The neck is an Ibanez GRX model with maple neck material and rosewood fingerboard. It has 22 medium frets. There are 2 very good quality humbuckers here and a fat 10 bridge. It has 2 knobs, one for volume and one for tone. The only included accessories was a tremolo bar. I recommend the jewel blue laminated top. The color is sweet. The picture on the websites don't do it any justice. // 8

Sound: This guitar can cover all types of music. I'm in a garage rock band and this guitar is oh so perfect. I use a Fender 25R Frontman amp. With this guitar and amp I can punch out some powerful sound and tone. The tone is nice and clear in both clean or overdrive. Overall, the sound is great, could be a tad bit brighter in my opinion but I'm happy with it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in a few days after ordering. The action was perfectly even, and didn't need any adjusting. The pick ups were well adjusted as well. You have to watch out where you are strumming however, because if you strum too near the neck or the bridge, you're real likely to scratch up the humbuckers. I was quite impressed with the packing, double boxed and everything. Now nicks on the guitar, no damage at all. The only "problem" was that the screw and washer on the jack popped off soon after I started playing this guitar. I just threw the stupid washer away and screwed the screw back on. No problems after that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've already gotten real into it with this guitar and I'm confident that you won't need a backup for this one in a show. The strap buttons were in nice and tight, and I don't need to use strap locks. This is my second guitar and my first from Ibanez. I chose Ibanez because of its awesome rep. and quality. The finish is great. Like I said earlier, get the jewel blue color, it's ultra cool. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing the guitar for 3 years now, and this is the best guitar I've owned so far. It almost seems like a sin that they are selling this guitar at such low a price. Ibanez is known for providing awesome sound and tone for guitars at a very affordable price. If someone stole this guitar from me I would go back out and get it again. It's that good. The GRX20 is awesome for beginning, intermediate, and professional players in my opinion. Looking for a great guitar for a great price? Get the Ibanez GRX20, and you won't regret it. // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: ibryant0915, on november 21, 2005

Features: Absolutely one of the best electric guitars to start with. Not only is it fast-playing, but it also looks absolutely beautiful. I'd recommend the Ibanez GRX20 for beginner-intermediatee players. // 9

Sound: I play metal and classic rock music. With these two styles of music, it sounds amazing! When you want it to you can make it have a nice, rich, full sound (for metal). Then, you can turn around and give it a bright sound (for classic rock and soloing). My friend played some shred on it and decided he loved it. Now, this is with a Roland Cube 15 (I'm not sure how it'd sound on other amps). Yes it's noisy, and no it isn't. It's noisy in the good way (like cranking it up to show off for friends), and it's not noisy in the way that it's not real sensitive to movement and has never had any fret buzz. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up almost perfectly in my opinion. My friends Scott and Bennie also thought it was perfect. The pickups were adjusted differently. One was adjusted to about 1/8" away from the strings and the other was about 1/6" away from the strings. No flaws whatsoever, and the finish is absolutely great (for the price of course). Comes in Jewel Blue and Black Night (basically a glossy black). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is one tough son of a gun. I think you'd just about have to burn it to destroy this thing. The only problem I have is that temperature changes the tuning a tad bit (barely noticeable), but you could throw this thing across the room and it still holds it's tune. Nope, no backup here as long as you've got an available tuner (or you aren't tone deaf) it's perfect to play in a show (or showoff to friends). Very good finish, doesn't seem like it's goin' anywhere. Definitely not thin, and even though it's fairly thick, it doesn't have a blinding gloss that's gonna fruit up your style. // 10

Overall Impression: Whether you like cranking up some Metallica on max volume on your $1200 210-watt amp, or pluckin' a little Skynyrd on your $30 10-watt Squier amp from your local pawn shop, this guitar is for you. Extremely versatile in sound, and is not only an easy guitar to learn on, but a nice guitar if you're looking for a second guitar because you're tired of your $45 Gremlin from the JCPenny outlet store. If I could change one thing about it, I would get new strings, but of course that's easily fixable (just buy new ones). // 9

GRX20 Reviewed by: Duff_McGee, on october 31, 2005

Sound: I play mostly metal and this guitar suits my needs very well, had to mess around with pickup heigth to get just the sound I wanted. I'm currently using a really crappy amp I bought off my drummer for $10 and it actually sounds decent. There's hardly any noise, providing I play with scopped mids and high lows and highs. This guitar can go heavy to soft in a matter of a heartbeat just depending on what you want, very versatile for a cheap guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up verry well, in fact, I haven't had a need to adjust anything yet. The pickups were level and pretty stock height when I recieved it, something just wasn't sounding good enough for me and my musical taste, but once I raised the brdige and lower the neck a bit, it was perfect. There were no dents or scratches in this guitar when I got it and there still isn't. Very durable guitar and an awesome finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar could pull off a gig really well. The hardware is fine and the strap buttons would never let your strap go. I'd be brave enough to use it without a backup. The finish is very durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal 24/7 and this guitar delivers very well. I've only been playing a couple of months now but I don't see myself ever getting rid of this guitar. It's awesomely playable and has an uber fast neck. If it were lost I'd cry if it weren't stolen I beat the shit out of the guy that stole and get my baby back. I love it's fast neck and pickups at such a cheap price, I can't think of anything I hate, because even if there was, it's an entry level guitar, what do you expect? If you're just starting out and want a good, cheap guitar, this is the one to buy. // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: ibnz, on july 27, 2007

Features: Not sure on the year made, best guess is between 04-06. 22 fret, mine is the jewel blue with black pickguard. Not sure on the type of wood on any of the guitar. Mine came with a tremolo, the bridge is the fat/sat or whatever it's called. There is a volume and one tone knob as well as a 3-way pickup selector. There are two humbuckers, bridge and neck. Not sure on the tuning pegs but it seems to stay in tune fairly well. I like to play in a lot of alternate tunings so I don't really keep it in one specific tuning for probably more than a day or two but it seems to stay really accurate. No other accessories came with the guitar. // 9

Sound: The most important thing. I like to play harder rock like Pantera, Metallica, and I am especially fond of Rage Against the Machine. I can get great sound out of this even though my current amp sucks (15 watt Peavey bass, I know) but I am going to upgrade soon to a Line 6 most likely. I also like to play softer stuff though, like Pearl Jam, as well as old rock like Steve Miller and such. I really really like the sound of this guitar. At the music store I played a different guitar (same model, different color) on a Peavy 65 watt I believe it was, and it sounded amazing. I could pretty much play whatever I wanted to with it and it still sounded good. It's pretty cool when you are able to go from being Dimebag to Slash to Tom Morello to Mike McCready in seconds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the part that I really do not know about. It is all the same as it was the day I brought it home, so that means that I either like it or have gotten used to it, pretty sure it's the first though. Today I noticed that there are some flaws in the body, some little tiny dents and whatnot, but it doesnt't really matter to me because it's nothing too major. You can barely notice them unless you look closely. And, where the cord plugs in is starting to come loose, but that is my fault because I am always bumping it. It is nothing too major either, you just have to screw it back in a little every now and again. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Even though I have not ever played Live, I'm pretty sure it could handle it with ease, no backup. The strap buttons are solid as I have never had a problem with them so that's good. Of course I don't do much jumping around and stuff but they will hold. The finish seems to me like it will last. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I have only been playing electric 2 months, bass 1 year, but this guitar seems like it is a great match for me. I really got lucky because I bought it without plugging it in or anything but I honestly think it was a hell of a steal at $200. If it were stolen I would be really pissed and beat the guy Who stole it. My favorite thing about it though is how easy it is to play. My hand really can slide along the neck really easy, and hitting the right fret is no problem. They say you don't pick the guitar, it picks you, and that was the case here as it was the first thing I noticed when I walked through the door. // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: cfreeman07, on november 14, 2005

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Features: I dont know a whole lot about guitar making and all of that. All I do know is how this thing sounds. It sounds awesome for the price. Don't go thinking it sounds great because I have some kick ass amp or something like that. I am using a little amp from my Ibanez Jumpstart pack. It's just a little 10 watt with no effects. The features on this guitar are: 6-string, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, Ibanez powersound pickups, available in jewel blue or black, also available in left-handed version, I think a double cutaway body, no accesories. Even with the little amp I have this thing rocks. I can play a lot of music, mostly heavy rock like pantera and metallica and with metallica anyways, I can acheive a sound very close. With stuff like Pantera, my amp just cant do the job. Harmonics sound great, artificial and natural, and the tremolo works really well. If anyone has any questions just email me. Don't look this up because of the low price tag. Oh and by the way, the reason I payed so much for it is because I am left-handed. // 10

Sound: The sound is good but I dont have enough crunch out of my amp. But for clean things it sounds great. It can do whatever you want it to basically. The style I play is stated above. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is not the best looking in the world. It scratches really easily. The paint doesnt Shine that much. The action is good for the price. There weren't really that many flaws with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing can take anything you throw at it. The strap buttons are very solid and is very good at shredding. My finish has not begun to wear yet and I've owned mine for almost 6 months. I would definetly use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I have been playing since marh of 05. for the music I play, it is great. I own only things that came with the Ibanez Jumpstart pack. If it was stolen I would hunt the person down and kill them because this guitar is so good. I love everything about it. I chose it because of price. I wish it came with a dimebucker pickup, 24 frets, a floating tremolo. Other than that nothing. // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: ndfcartman, on december 12, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I asked for this guitar for christmas last year, after doing extensive research, and I couldn't have gotten a better guitar to start out with. The GRX20 I recieved is black, with a black pickguard, and it has 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, 3-way pickup selector, 2 Powersound humbuckers, and a Fat-10 tremolo bridge. I don't use the tremolo too much because it easily goes out of tune, but what can you expect for a guitar that doesn't have locking tuners or a locking nut? // 10

Sound: I think that this guitar can suit many different styles, I play a wide variety of rock and it suits me just fine. I'm using a Behringer GM108 amplifier, Behringer X V-AMP multi effects pedal, and a Behringer HB01 Wah pedal, great combination. The guitar hasn't ever produced any unwanted feedback, and it has a nice full sound to it. Before I bought another guitar I used this this beast to play a wide variety of standard tuning bands and sometimes drop tune it, but now since I have my Ibanez RG370 I use this only for drop tuning, and I love the sounds I am getting. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only flaw that I found on this guitar (other than being out of tune) from out of the box was the action, which was very easily adjusted to my liking. I can't think of any flaws that the guitar had, she's a beauty. // 10

Reliability & Durability: From the experience I've had with it (a year this month) I will definately use this axe without a backup. The hardware is solid, the strap buttons were ok, but I took the liberty of slapping on DiMarzio Clip Locks (highly recommended, but the strap is pretty long). The finish is prety nice, but like most dark colors it shows fingerprints, no big deal! Keep your gear clean, wipe off the oil from the strings and body and you're set! I have a few small scratches, and one nickel size nick that goes to the wood, but that was completely my fault, no worries. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of rock, metal, and some blues, I think it's safe to say that this fits all of them. If this was stolen, the only reason I wouldn't buy it again is because the guitar is only 22 frets, and it doesn't have locking tuners or a locking nut. I compared this guitar to many other guitars, I chose this beast because of the looks, the good reputation Ibanez has, and the price to value ratio. I strongly encourage anyone looking to start the wonderful journey of being a guitarist to at least try it, don't let the price fool you! // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: Sid Vicouis, on march 24, 2007

Features: Made in China, 2005. Comfortable maple neck, rosewood fretboard, Super Start-style basswood body, 22 frets, medium frets, typical Strat-style bridge bridge, two stock humbuckers, with 3-way switch, glossy black finish, cheap tuners. Came with whammy, gigbag, some picks, and a strap. // 8

Sound: Very versatile, can play most stuff like: classic rock, metal, punk. It surprised me with being able to play some blues and experimental. You have to use a good, or more powerful amp, otherwise it won't sound really good. You really have to experiment and fool around with the pickup selector, and tone/volume settings, as well as your amp configuration. It produces very little noise when switching pickups. It does make A LOT of noise when you raise the volume, a noise gate cleans it up perfectly. You might wanna get new pickups for it, later on. I recommend at least a DiMarzio Super Distortion, at the least. In the bridge, it will improve the guitar's sound greatly, clean and distorted. This guitar has a good punch, which is best about the sound. You can get good Hendrix punch, and Nirvana. It sounds dry though, it doesn't sound unique, even though it wasn't aimed to be. It is just an all-around guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had crappy strings, and tuners. I recommend a new set of both of those. The pickup height was adjusted to the best extent. The cosmetics were good. The intonation was really close, but I had to fix that myself. It was perfect, no flaws, whatsoever. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing, but I recommend a backup. The stock hardware lasts pretty long. You might want to re-oil the neck later on, from playing a lot.It has worn out, but probably won't for most people. The best thing about this guitar is that it has a really tough body. I have hit this guitar on concrete floor, really hard, and only a 2cm x 2cm piece of paint got scratched off. It has been thorough many Nirvana style destruction. I have put this through amps, threw at at drum kits, and hit it on the ground. I think you would have to get a jackhammer to break it. I recommended a backup though because it feels really light, so that makes me think it might shatter into a million pieces at a gig, someday. // 10

Overall Impression: I play experimental, punk, metal, progressive, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I like noise so It does match my style. I have been playing for 5 years. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy a new one, it's only $150. I really like it's durability and punch. You'll either hate or love the dry sound. I wish it had come with better pickups, a fixed bridge, and in different colors (I don't like the metal look). // 8

GRX20 Reviewed by: Ultimate_Gio92, on april 18, 2007

Purchased from: Gear Music

Features: It is an amazing guitar with a 25 1/5 scale neck with 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, powerhouse pickups, alder body, laminated. Guitar is left handed for me. I can honestly say that everything that came with this guitar does not need to be replaced ever (other than strings perhaps). // 10

Sound: I play mostly heavy/thrash/death metal but once in a while I like to go to light distortion, kind of like in zeppelin songs. And every now and then I want a clean acoustic sound. This guitar is great for all of it, I cannot find a single problem of sound that my guitar makes. Now sound problems my amp makes are a different matter (I use it on a Marshal MG10CD practise amp with no pedals). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was very well adjusted, there is a problem with the pick guard but that was the stores fault, but instead of getting it fixed I have grown to get used to it. Everything came asembled properly, good finish, no scratches on it. The strings that came from the factory were amazing, especialy with my need to downtune and uptune a lot. I have used the same strings for over 6 months. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand Live playing, and I would definately use it without a backup, that is how much I think this guitar is a perfect guitar. Nothing is loose, nothing seems like it can break at any momeny. Currently I am in the middle of completely customizing this guitar with a floyd rose, replacing tuning pegs, as well as the knobs and switch. This is only to raise the quality of the guitar even higher than it already is. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlyer, I play mostly heavy/thrash/death metal and occasionaly lighter stuff. This guitar is a perfect match for my musical tastes. I have been playing for a year and a half and this guitar is still the best one ever, I am currently in the middle of finding and buying a new guitar (Ibanez Xiphos but I want to restring it because I am left handed), this is only in case something ever happens to this guitar. If it were stolen I would hunt down and murder the person Who steals it. If it were lost I would get a new one in a second. The only thing I wish it had was 24 frets but that's not too much of a problem for me. Great for a beginer, an expert guitarist, or even someone on a tight budget. All in all it is a great guitar. // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: Phat Stud 55, on august 27, 2007

Purchased from: Music Music

Features: I don't know exactly when or where this guitar was made. This guitar has 22 Jumbo frets which is pretty nice for a beginner guitar. It two humbuckers with a 3 way pick-up selector. The tuners on this thing are awesome they virtually "lock" after your done tuning them so they don't go out of tune as easily as my other Strat-look-alike. The Bridge is a Standard fixed bridge and when you use it all the strings go a 1/4 step sharp. Overall the features of this guitar are pretty good for a beginner. // 9

Sound: Since it is a Ibanez it was obviously built for Metal but I can get any sound I want out of it. It provides very rich overdrive when I use my DigiTech Tone Driver with it. I put this guitar through a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff out to a DigiTech Tone Driver to a DigiTech Multi-chorus then to my Zoom G2.1u multi-Fx then finally to my Peavey Envoy 110. This guitar has some pretty sweet tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this needed adjusting because I got loads of buzzing on it. The factory strings didn't have very good sound so I changed them to Ernie Balls. The jewel blue finish is way better than the black finish. Pictures will never do it justice. You have to see it for yourself to believe it. The only flaw I found when I got it new was the very very low action. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this for Live playing if I was in a band. I'll get to test that in the next few months since I'll be in a band. Everything on this seems pretty solid for years of playing. I've only had it a few months and nothing has been broken so far. This is a great guitar for beginners. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is this is a great guitar for beginners and advanced students. You can get any sound out of it that you want. If this were stolen I would buy a more expensive guitar just because I have a expensive one and know how much better it really is. Beginners get this! // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2009

Purchased from: jersey guitar and music(ebay)

Features: Mine was made in China. It has 22 Frets and a very thin maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Black finish with a balck pickguard. The body style is shaped like Strat. The bridge is FAT 6. Not a floating trem. It has two open coil powersound pickups, a three way control switch and a volume and tone knob with chrome hardware. // 9

Sound: I am a beginner, but I play hard rock and heavy metal ( Slayer, Pantera, etc.) I run this guitar through a Roland Cube 15X and it sounds amazing. If you are right on the amp you get some feedback, but that can be cured by moving away ( duh) The clean channel is awesome with this guitar, and the four lead channels rock as well. I love the sounds you can get with baby. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar on Ebay, the action is perfect, the pickups are well adjusted. Everything on this guitar is set-up well. This guitar has a very, very minor scratch on the pick guard and that is why I bought it used. They cannot sell it as new with this minor blemish. All the hardware is durable and should last me a while. Everything looks and functions excellent. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will absolutely withstand Live playing. The hardware seems very durable. Strap buttons are tough as nails, the finish is awesome. I would definitely play this without a backup. Again everything feels and looks awesome. Nothing feels cheap. Remember this a beginner level guitar. Steve Vai or Kerry King will not be using this model. It is a beginner. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and thrash, this guitar fits the bill perfectly. I have been playing for a short time. But for the price and the quality compared to Squier Strats or Epiphones for the same price, this guitar is the obvious choice. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy this again after I gutted whoever took it.I love the fact that it is beginner friendly, the price is right, and it does not feel cheaply made. Just wish it a Floyd Rose! // 9

GRX20 Reviewed by: winged_ninja712, on january 14, 2010

Features: The GRX20 has 22 frets on a maple neck, which is bolted onto a basswood body. The finish is is nice, and looks really cool for a guitar this price. It has 2 dual humbucking pickups, and a switch that allows you to switch between the two or use them both together. It also has a volume and a tone knob. The non-locking tuners are very compliant, even for someone who changes tunings every few songs like me. If you do choose to stay in one tuning, though, you will not need to retune more than once a day (unless you do an excessive amount of bending.) The size is standard, and it in't too heavy or too light. The bridge is slick-- perfect for fast solos. Overall, the build is pretty standard but much better than other guitars for the same price range. // 8

Sound: My style of music is mostly rock and metal, and this guitar is built especially for that, I believe. I use it with my Ibanez footpedal and Line 6 amplifier, and together these produce a wide variety of quality sounds. The pickups could be better, but if they were, this would be a 300-something dollar guitar at least. The sound it can produce is still pretty sharp. If you like playing a mixture of clean and distorted guitar for rock or metal music, this guitar is designed for you. I enjoy hearing myself playing along with all my favorite songs on this guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got mine refurbished, so my story may be a unique exception. Most of the guitar was finished well, but mine had a couple minor issues. The first one was that the bottom string that was bent out of shape at one spot. This could have happened in shipping, however, and it's really not of any consequence. The other is that the instrument cable wouldn't stay in the jack. I tried unscrewing it and adjusting the clasp several times, but it would always loosen again. This was fixed by a simple visit to the guitar shop, which only cost 15 bucks. No real trouble, and I haven't had a single problem with the guitar since. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This gutar is about as durable a guitar as any other starter. Obviously, it probably won't last as long as a more expensive one. It is reliable, though. I am confident enough in it that I could go on stage with it without a backup, and not worry about the strap button falling off or the strings coming out of tune. The finish is more than durable. (Although I haven't tried destroying it to shreds on stage yet ^_^) With basic care, it should last as long as you need it to. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall: This is a great buy, if you like any kind of rock or metal and want to play quality music-- without paying half a fortune. I've been playing for a year and a half now, and also play the keyboard and am in the process of learning the drums. Playing this with a Line 6 amp and Ibanez footpedal makes the guitar's sound quality stand out more-- and proves it's ability to keep up with the best. The pros of this guitar are it's looks, sound quality, dual humbucking pickups, and easily affordable price. The one disadvantage might be the little bit of noise it emits when I record, but I have no complaints about it. Before buying the Ibanez, I compared it to all similarly priced guitars online. After reading the reviews, and looking at its features, I concluded that this is definitely the best deal under $200. Compared to the Fender Starcaster, which is about the same price, I see a world of difference in quality and performance. I personally reccomemnd this guitar if you like its features and style. // 8

GRX20 Reviewed by: Himelnator, on january 26, 2010

Features: This is a horrible guitar... Dont Buy it, There are so many other entry level guitars for all Genres. Mine is a Lefty so its another 100 dollars, and im Pretty sure its either Mexican or Japanese. It has a pretty nice neck, its a shame though that it is a basswood body, because That gives a horrible tone. It has a Strat Style Bridge Made by Ibanez, and it was supposed to, but didn't come with a Tremolo Arm. There are also 2 humbucking pickups // 3

Sound: This is a budget metal guitar, and budget usually means horrible. This is no exception, I have a Line 6 Spider III which I almost never use anymore because I have a Bogner Alchemist, Much better amp. I Play Metal, And Jazz for school, Its a great guitar to solo on, because of the neck, but thats the only nice metal/jazz perk. The Pickups sound very muddy, and its a pretty empty and lacking sound compared to my Gibson Les Paul. Oh yeah and this thing also gets out tune every 5 seconds, unless you get some nice strings and a nice nut // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: This Guitar was poorly Set up, 2 Weeks In my Neck Pickup Fell in Itself, The Frets are all over the place aswell, and my nut broke after about 2 years, The little things that held the upper strings to the end of the headstock have rusted, and there is a gap between the body and the neck that at times I can make my Neck Budge, it is at least 1.14MM because I fit My 1.14 MM pick in it... This is the worst Aspect of the Guitar // 1

Reliability & Durability: The Hardware will Definatly not last, This thing might last a concert or gig without a backup if I'm lucky, I probably would, The biggest problem is it would probably fall off the strap and the neck would break off (this has has happened several times, Thank god its bolt on) // 2

Overall Impression: Bottom Line: Dont get this guitar, its done more bad than good. // 1

GRX20 Reviewed by: rebornmaster9, on november 17, 2010

Purchased from: Music and Arts

Features: I have found myself the deal of the year. I came across this bad boy while messing around in town. I ran it through a Line 6 spider 4 (the exact same thing I have at home) and the massive sound I got out of this guitar blew me away. As soon as I got paid I went back and got it. Its a nice double cut away body with a 3 way pick up selector with humbuckers. 22 frets and a fixed bridge pure simplicity for the budget metal head. And the black finish gives it a metal look and feel. // 9

Sound: Ibanez has always been the go to guitar for metal, or so I had been told, I've played a few before and have been impressed. For a budget guitar like this it sounds for lack of better words f--king awesome. I was going to use it for a drop D guitar but it ended up in Drop C so I could play our originals. Now whatever the pick ups are on it make it squeal like a pig. It also has a nice clean sound to it as well, just as long as the gain or Drive is down a good bit cause I've noticed it gives a little bit of an extra crunch to the clean channel, but that can be a good thing to. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Ibanez can make a freaking thin neck and they know it. If there is one flaw with my guitar is that the frets stick out but that can be sanded down and it doesn't bother me anymore. The action is pretty decent but when I find my Alan wrench I might lower it just a hair. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't got the chance to play live with this one but from what I've read it will hold up on its own and I don't plan on throwing it across the room any time soon (give me a few months on that one). I have recorded with it and it pulls through alright. The strap sometimes falls off but the strap I have sucks so strap locks will be my next investment // 10

Overall Impression: Ibanez= metal. Perfect for me even though I like to sneak some blues in every once and a while. In all my 3.5 years of playing I have never come across a better deal for a name brand yes that's right name brand guitar that was so cheap and sounded like a god touched it. Now the more upscale Ibanez models sound better but I don't have 400 bucks to throw around. Now I did get cheated out of a whammy bar but I really don't think it needs one, I'd rather get a Floyd Rose installed for that, but I don't plan on that. If this got stolen I would be chopping some heads off but I always have it in my sights so no one would try stealing it from me. I guess the only thing to hate about it is the damn frets need to be sanded down but as I said its not a big deal. I love metal and I love Ibanez and am very impressed with this guitar, just don't ask me to go either LTD or Ibanez cause I'm still trying to tell which one is better. I can strongly recomend going and getting a budget Ibanez over anything else, parents get your kids the Ibanez starter pack and not the squire one, they will thank you for it later. // 10

GRX20 Reviewed by: Sulfur183, on february 17, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The Ibanez GRX20 comes with a 22 fret bolt-on neck which is very thin and fast, laminated top, with a Basswood body and a Maple neck. It has a FAT 6 tremolo and 2 Powersound humbucking pickups with ceramic magnets. 1 Volume knob 1 Tone knob and a 3 way pick up selector. // 7

Sound: It suits my style which is Metal and Hard Rock pretty well especially with the thin neck for moving quickly up and down the neck. It can play other styles well too I've managed to get good blues and classic rock sounds out of it. I use a Ibanez practice amp and sometimes a Peavy full stack with it. No effects other than a distortion pedal. The pickups are a little weak but for the cheap price of this guitar its not even really worth replacing them. You can get a decent sound out of them but they're sometimes noisy when you have the distortion turned way up and don't mute the strings right away after every chord. You can get some decent pinch harmonics out of it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The overall setup was very good. The pickups were well adjusted there was no scratches or anything to complain about other than a loose input jack which was not hard to take care of. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could stand up to live playing. In front of a very large crowd at very high volumes it wouldn't be the best choice but you could do it. Some of the material feels kind of cheap but the strap buttons are very solid I've never had a problem with those. It has been super dependable so far, I would take it to a gig without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing about a year. I play mostly Metal. Thrash, Speed, Metalcore, and of course heavy. It fits my styles well and even though its cheap I like this guitar so much better than even my dads Fender Strat because its possible to get a much better sound as far as palm muting and other things on this. I probably wouldn't buy it again if it was stolen but it was a good choice for a first guitar. I love the neck and absolutely hate the bridge. You can barely even move the whammy bar, if it had a better tremolo even a edge 3 it would be so much nicer. Overall a good solid guitar especially for beginners. // 8

GRX20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2011

Price paid: A$ 150

Features: My particular guitar was made in Indonesia, and I've been told that this is a good thing due to the quality of wood used in the build compared to GIO's made in other countries. // 9

Sound: It delivers great versatility in it's sound delivery, enabling the musician to play the clean notes through to the heavy crunching chords. For the price, it's hard to look past as a viable choice for most musicians. I play this through some fairly inexpensive and modest equipment (a Zoom G2.1U for effects, into an Ashton MXL12FX mixer and out on a Behringer GTX30 on the clean channel). It works well for me, as the combination gives me the flexibility and versatility of creating just the sound I need with a stomp of my foot. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The thing surprisingly has stayed in tune consistently, even after some heavy screaming abuse with the trem bar and bends etc. My only disappointment in the guitar is that one fret that has an ever so slightly raised corner, meaning that occasionally the top E string can get stuck in there, but it's not a dealbreaker. Overall, I find the action is smooth, silky and responsive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: With the normal 22 frets on a rosewood board with double humbucker pickups, I still have all the original stock gear on it, including the bar, tuners, etc, and it has not yet let me down after almost 12 years of daily play. I have not had to replace or repair any part the unit (other than strings, of course) since I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: There seem to be a large disparity and differences when it comes to the Ibanez GIO GRX20. Many say they love it. Others hate it. I fall into the "Love It" group, and truly love this instrument and in the 12 years of owning it, it has yet to let me down. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S1520 8.2 Electric Guitars 04/23/2014