GRX20Z Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/22/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRX20Z
Now you can turn your back on traditional budget guitars that only feature single coils, boring finishes, and a bogus name on the headstock. This guitar has humbuckers for solid leads, metallic finish, and it's set up with the same stringent standards as the most expensive instruments from Ibanez.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 8.5
 7.5
reviews (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
GRX20Z Reviewed by: Spike_S, on january 10, 2006

Features: I'm not sure what year this guitar was made it but it it comes with 22 medium frets, a GRX neck, maple neck material and a rosewood fingerboard. This guitar also feautres crome hardware, and alder body with the GRX body style, and a PSND2 (H) bridge with whammy bar. The controls you have to work with on the guitar are pretty standard, 1 volume control and 1 tone control with a 3-way selector Switch. // 8

Sound: This guitar suite quite a few variety's of music stlyes, anything from Lamb Of God to Jimi Hendrix. I played this on a 35watt beringer, with the guitar I was using compared with the amp is was a pretty good match. It has a nice clean sound and when the distortion is on it sounds beautiful it is a great guitar for a good price. This guitar can make any sound you need it to according to your skills and what effects you are using and what pedal you are using. But it is a great guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set at factory as far as I know when I played it the pickups and action was set just right with each other and as far as I am concerned the guitar contained no flaws that I could tell. The springs in the back of the guitar wore down after a while but that is nothing unusual. The guitar is set up very well and it is a great guitar in which I enjoy playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Me and my friend used to stick this guitar in the back of is car window with no protection and it still held up great and played great and barely went out of tune the whole time it was bouncing around in the car. No loose hardware or nothing and I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup. Every thing on this guitar could last a life time if you take care of it. You still have to change the springs occasionally though. It is very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it is very reliable and durable. I have been playing for close to 4 years and this is only the second Ibanez I have played like every and I love it. If this guitar was to get lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again if I had the money. I love how this guitar is set up. It is a great guitar and I would honestly recommend it to any one who needs a good priced guitar that will last. // 10

GRX20Z Reviewed by: OdderOne, on october 22, 2010

Purchased from: Ken Stanton Music

Features: This is a fairly basic beginner's guitar, made in 2009 (if I do remember correctly), and I honestly do not know what country it was made in. There are 22 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard, at a neck scale of 25.5". The body is basswood, and the neck itself is maple. It has a three-way Switch and volume and tone knobs. The pickups are humbucking with ceramic magnetics. // 7

Sound: I'm just a starting guitarist, just playing for a little over a year. I play mainly metal and rock. It's a pretty good sounding guitar for rock/punk music (or bluesy music for that matter). It also sounds good unplugged, and able to play well in clean channels. However, this isn't necessarily a good guitar for metal. The G-string buzzes something fierce when struck with any force, which sounds pretty bad when you kick up the distortion (I don't know if it's just my guitar, but I can assure that restringing didn't help much). I'm using this with a Spider III 15w amp (yeah, yeah, yeah). Without turning the knob up considerably, it's a quiet, bright guitar on cleaner channels, and (obviously) louder when put on the metal and insane settings. The guitar itself doesn't have a variety sounds. It can have a more Acoustic (but distinctly tinny) sound, or it can be flat. There don't seem to be any more built-in settings, so hope you guys have your pedals and amps at the ready. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar itself is well-built (It came pretty well set-up, at least). All the hardware was working fine, and there weren't any noticeable flaws in the construction. The pickups were (and are) fine, but replacements may be necessary in the coming months. I will say that the controls are a little loose, slight contact may completely raise/lower the volume/tone (which can get frustrating when strumming chords and accidentally hitting the knobs). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty reliable piece of work. It's been going for over a year now with no problems at all. The hardware is long-lasting, as I haven't needed to replace anything but the strings since purchase. The strap buttons can turn in place and everything, but they ain't going anywhere (they outlived the straps I've used without even so much as coming out a bit). If I were ever to take this guitar to a gig, I wouldn't even worry about a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: As a stan-alone guitar, this isn't great. However, as a beginner's guitar, it's pretty awesome. It's basic, but is durable and has a good sound. It's withstood more than a year of mostly active playing, and is still going strong. If this guitar was stolen/lost or anything, I would probably upgrade to a less newbie-type guitar, though (maybe an IC 400 Iceman or a Tony Iommi G-400). // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014