GRX40 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/11/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRX40
Agathis body, GRX neck, Medium fret, Standard tremolo bridge, Chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 7.5
reviews (21) pictures (2) 50 comments vote for this gear:
GRX40 Reviewed by: Danno13, on july 14, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: My guitar was made in 2004, I'm not sure where, and is a solid-body Strat-style guitar. It has a great-looking metallic red finish with a white pickguard. The bridge is a non-locking six-screw trem. The pickups are passive H/S/S, and are controlled by one volume and one tone knob. As the other reviewers stated, it came in a Starter Kit with all sorts of crap. It feels great, and has a thin neck (typical for Ibanez) so is great for fast play. // 8

Sound: My style is mostly metal and rock, so naturally I overuse the humbucker position. Played through a DigiTech DF-7 distortion pedal and a CryBaby into the practice amp it came with, it gets a really heavy sound. I loved it, but recently I changed the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan JB, which gave it a heavier, "wetter" sound. For a clean tone, the neck pickup is beautiful for slow, campfire songs, and the middle pickup is twangy enough for some AC/DC style riffing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were set perfectly, and the action was incredibly low, which I found great, but my friend (who owns a Squier with action nearly a centimeter above the fretboard) couldn't play at all. There was not a single problem with the original build of the guitar, except the thing that plagues all non-locking trems: it would go out of tune every time I'd use the whammy! A set of sperzels fixed that in no time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are my only complaint in this area, they are too small to hold a strap through hard playing. I would definitely gig with this without a backup, and the finish is durable to the point where I doubt it actually needs a pickguard. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that this is absolutely the best beginner/intermediate guitar available on the market, but if I lost it, I would get an Epi or Dean, just because I probably need to move upmarket by now anyway. // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2005

Purchased from: Brook Mays

Features: I just bought this bad boy from Brook Mays Music, and wow, this Japaneese thing can jam. It has 22 frets and is a rosewood neck I think. The thing is beautiful, the navy metallic just blew me away, it has got to be the best Inexpensive guitar out there. It comes with everything you need, you just need to get new cables and strings immidetly. It has a brige humbucker and then 2 single coil pickups, it sounds great. // 9

Sound: Man, this thing suits my music well, I play hard rock from today, and quite a bit of Metallica, and AC/DC and what not. Right now, I'm using the 10 or 15 W Ibanez amp that it came with. The amp kind of makes a buzzing noise sometimes but you get used to it. I am not using a disortion pedal right now, mine broke, getting a new one for Christmas. This thing can easily play from hard rock, to blues, to jazz its pretty much an all around guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, this thing came perfectly out of the box, nothing loose, everything was in order, I cant really say anything bad, it is just so great! It's really all good, it has a thin neck for quick play which alot of Ibanez models have, but for the price, I didn't expect it to be so on this guitar. If you over used the whammy bar, it might come out of tune a little more. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Oh yeah, this guitar can handle alot, definitly playing live. I think this baby will last me a long time. The strap seems like its pretty good, but a little uncomfortable with it though. I advise a new one, pretty soon! The finish is great. I dropped it on the tile, yes, I'm retarded, and theres really not even a scratch, it's awesome. I would definitly trust this at a gig w/o a backup, very reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a great match for my music, as I said before, hard rock/metal. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I decided to get this because I'm on a strick budget and I needed a new amp. I love the guitar, wouldnt change anything about it. I would definitly get the same guitar if it were stolen/lost. My favorite feature is the color, I mean it's just beautiful, the sound is great too, the humbucker really gives it that extra "kick." I compared it to the Squier Strats, this thing is an American Strat compared to those pieces of crap. If you'ra thinking of this guitar, get it now! // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2005

Purchased from: Huigens

Features: I was lucky on this one, cause the neck has a flame in the maple, so it looks realy cool. I really hate the tremolo, so I blocked it, I realy don't get why they would put a trem on a starters guitar anyway, it doesn't stay in tune when you use it, beginners never use a trem, so why? Other than that, it has a humbucker, and 2 single coils. I realy like the neck pick up, it's kind of warm when you use it. It also came with a gig bag, amp and al sorts of crap. The first thing you need to do when you get is, throw the f--king cable out of your window, and get a proper one, cause the original sucks. I like the strap, it doesn't slips. // 6

Sound: My music style goes from meshuggah to nirvana, and even realy mellow songs like Michel from Anouk sounds good on it, if you use the neck pick up. I can't play Meshuggah on it, because then I would need 8 strings. The sound is realy bright. For a nice clean, put the volume on your guitar to about 2/3, choose any pick up you want (for grunge a-la Nirvana you should take the bridge hum), put the gain on the amp that comes with it, on 2/3, bass on 8, mid on 6, and treble at 10, don't forget to put the tone knob on 10. Music like Metallica also sounds good on it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Stock out of the box it was set up properly, low action, which I like, no sharp frets. The nut and the routing etc. is done realy well. After 3 months I had to re-set up it, because I changed to thicker strings (09 is stock, I changed to 11). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Nothing to say about it, it's fine. // 8

Overall Impression: I think it's a realy good guitar, but if you have a little more money to spend, go get an Dean Vendetta 1\.0 and a Roland Cube 15/30/60. // 8

GRX40 Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 07, 2003

Purchased from: Curly Music

Features: The Ibanez GRX40 guitar is a guitar for people who want a good guitar but who are only begginers. At 160.00 this guitar may be to much for some starters but you get what you pay for. This is a great guitar. It is available in three colours: Transparent blue, Transparent red and black. And a Transparent green is also available but not featured in the catologue. The GRX40 guitar features a agathis body, medium frets and fat-10 bridge. It has one humbucker and features the new Fat-10 tremolo. // 8

Sound: The GRX guitar can be used for Clean Sound, Blues, Rock and Metal so it suits almost all of the music styles. I use the clean and overdrive effects with the guitar. When turned up to full volume on both the amp and the guitar itself it can be very noisy. The guitar can make many sounds, but there are to many to explain, so lets move on!! I like the sound very much. I am glad this was my final choice. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very well in the factory. All of the parts are held in place. There is nothing wobbly of loose. The back plate and scratch plate are both screwed on firmly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could last many live concerts. It is quite a new model so has all of the techniques put into it to make sure it dosn't fall apart on arival of home.The finish is about a centimetre of solid plastic so it will be very hard to scratch the paintwork. I would use this in a gig without backup because it is a reliable guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: I have been playing for around a month now. I got it at Christmas, 2003. I now own an amplifier, strap, tuner and stand. If the guitar was stolen I would get the same one. I like it that much. I love the colour. Dark transparent green. There is nothing I hate. I compared it to my cousins guitar. He has a quite old wooden Ibanez guitar. His is probably better but I don't care. It would be a bit better if it had double humbuckers but what are you gonna do? // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2004

Features: It's a Japanese guitar, 22 medium-jumbo frets, solid top. It has a master volume and tone knob and a 5-way selector. It has an H/S/S configuration and is pretty versatile. It's a pretty solid guitar. It has a maple neck with fast action and a rosewood fretboard. It has a Strat style body but it's a little heavier than the Strat. It comes with a floyd rose style whammy bar. It came in a pack with an amp, video, picks, gig bag, accesory pouch, strap, cable, and an istruction book. // 10

Sound: I play mostly Rock and some metal. It sounds good with almost anything I play on it. The humbucker definetly sounds good on clean and overdrive. The center and neck single coils also provide their share of bite. I can't hear much hum because it's very quiet except when I'm using the humbucker on high treble. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was well assembled at the factory. The pick-ups were well adjusted, but I screwed around with them a little bit. The maple neck has a surprisingly fast action, the only minor flaw is that the frets are rather sharp. The bridge is very well set. The metallic red finish is definetly cool under any kind of lighting. // 10

Reliability & Durability: There is a small dent at the tip of the head stock. Also along the lower back rim, there is a small chip. Of course, that could be because I forget to put it in the case. one of the strap buttons snaped off so I replaced them with strap buttons. I can definetly depend on it. I would go live without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: It's definetly a good match to the styles I play. I only own the stuff it came with. I've been playing for about a year. If it was lost, I'd be angry. I'd definetly buy it again. I like its comfort and sound. I can't complain. I just wish it had an H/H configuration. It compares well with the Strat. I'd Like to note that Ibanez makes some fine guitars. // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: Laser, on june 07, 2004

Features: - Made in japan - Solid body - Black finish with white pickguard - 1 volume and 1 tone knob - H/S/S humbucker configuration 22 fret Wizard neck // 8

Sound: I have been playing for a couple years now. I have a few guitars, which includes a Fender Acoustic, tihs Ibanez, and an Epi LP-100. This was my first guitar. It gives off a verious amount of sounds. Giving it a very versatile reputation. I play a lot of blues and rock (and blues rock, haha). Has a bright sound. I really like this guitar, i prefer it over my LP actually. It fits me perfectly, it sounded good originally, but at the advice of a friend i changed out my Bridge humbucker and now it sounds much better. I'm running it through an MG50DFX or a Fender 15G or the Ibanez amp that came with it, or a 20 watt crate amp. All through a Boss DS-1 pedal. Sounds excellent. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I am very fine with the action, just perfect, a little on the high side though. Everything came perfect, except for the fact that my input jack kept wanting to go it. So i took a pair of twwers, squeezed them, put them inside the input jack and realeased my pressure, so that they would grip by pushing out on the sides, i then pulled the jack out as far as it would go and tightened the nut around it. This guitar takes a beating, i drop it a lot, and the finish still stands up fine, cept it does have a few dings and dents here and there, but it gives the guitar character. I wasn't pleased with how hard it was to tune, so i added two extra springs to the back. The high E tuner is a little loose, but that is probably my fault, and one of the pegs came loose, but i got a screwdriver and fixed it right up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played a countless number of parties, many of which without backups and using this guitar. Whenever i do anything big i always carry another guitar. But otherwise the guitar does the job perfectly. The hardware has lasted forever. And is sitll very good, with the occasionaly loose screw, it is still very good. As I said, I have put this guitar through hell and back, and is still a live an roaring. // 10

Overall Impression: I paly al ot of things, and everything I've played for the most part works good for this guitar. Cept that its tone is pretty bright, and it isn't good for softer mellower songs. But thats not me. So yes. If it were lsot or stolen, I would prolly buy another different Ibanez. Only because I customized mine so much that it jsut wouldn't be worth buyin' the same guitar. I love mostly everytng about it, the neck is so comfortable, and i love the neck pickup. Very nice guitar, as I have said. I forgot to add that you can shred very well with thi guitar. Copmaring this to the say RG series, the frets are heaven and hell. On an RG the frets are high and uncomfortable. Probably one of the most comfortable guitars i've ever played, cept for sometimes the controls get in the way when you are Tremelo picking. // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This Japanese-made guitar is a budget priced guitar for people that truly care about tone and feaures. Mine has a Metallic Red finish which blows away the dull reds or other companies. It has a body similar to a Stratocaster, but a little fatter and bigger. It has a unique string-thru-body tremolo bridge that is unlike any bridge I have seen before. You can move it both up and down, not just down like most guitars. It is useful for beginners that can't bend very well, and great for bending chords and open notes. My guitar came in a starter set that included and amp, tuner, gig bag, books, video and all kidns of crap. All you'll use is the guitar, bag, amp (until you buy a louder one) and tuner. Sell all the other stuff to your buddies. // 10

Sound: I play mostly punk, punk rock, rock, classic rock, and blues and it is perfect for all. It has a H-S-S setup and the humbucker is pretty powerful! The 1st single coil has quite lush, open sounds, mimicking an acoustic guitar. The middle single coil is reminiscent of Stratocasters, and the humbucker is great for chunk and solos. It can sometimes be noisy, but moving to a different pickup selection or fiddiling with the tone and volume controls solves this easily. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately, my guitar came with a chip in the finish near the input jack. The wood was visible. But my dad added a touch of paint and no one is the wiser! This guitar is manufactured quite well, with no gobs of glue or parts assembles haphazardly. The action, being my first guitar, was perfect. Since I wasn't used to any other guitars, this felt quite natural. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been pounded on, dropped, had stuff dropped on it, and still plays like it's brand new. I never had a abckup for a gig, and don't plan on ever needing one. The finish has not weared at all in the 2 years I've had it. The strap buttons and firm, and hold secure. // 10

Overall Impression: I love playing this guitar, and if you can get over your first impression of it being a beginner's guitar you will find a great, versitile axe that easily beats Squier strats and other companies. Sounds great through a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal to my Fender Frontman 25 watt amp. A solid choice for a begginner, backup, or lead guitar. // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: MonkeyOnDope, on june 03, 2005

Features: The Ibanez GRX40 is a great guitar for it's price. The guitar is mean't for a begginer but I think it's more for intermediate players. I have been playing for four years and this is the second best guitar I have. (My baby Fender) the GRX40 has 22 frets. It comes in mattalic blue or red or black night. I have mattalic blue and it is gorgous. The neck is mahogany. This guitar is acually a pack and the pack comes with a strap, tuner, padded gig bag, cable, picks, chord chart, DVD, lesson book, headphones, 10W amp and some more stuff I can't think of. The amp has more power than you would think. Overall if your looking for a preaty good guitar for a great price this one is it. // 10

Sound: The 10W amp is preaty louwd for it's little size. I normally play rock. But some times I have an arge to play something else. The amp is only a practice amp and I only use it some times. And if I were you I would buy like a 30W Fender amp. But the one it came with it doesn't have a clear sound to it and when all the ways up it buzzez like hell. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was all most perfect when it arrived. It had I noticablly long streak mark one the back. and the 14th and 15th frets were scratched but I had that repaired (warrentys do wonders). The pickups were very easily adjustable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a rock I can say that I have dropped it a few times and it still plays great. And I would deffinitly use this guitar at gigs without a backup. The strap buttons may want to be replaced after 3 months of playing. I will have this guitar forever. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock but I sometimes have the urge to play something else. I have been playing for 3 years. I own 2 acoustic Ibanez guitars. I wish I would have asked what color the pickguard was. I would buy this guitar again if it were stolon. I love the mattalic blue it just blew me away. I don't hate anything about this guitar. My favorite feature is the body shape. I wish it came with some sort of a design on it. // 8

GRX40 Reviewed by: star1navyboy, on december 13, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Well I think its a 2002, 2003 guitar that was made in Japan. It has 22 frets and it has a pretty thin rosewood neck. It's got a nice finish and it's just perfect, mine's black and it looks great. I also like the blue, as I messed with one at Brook Mays a few months ago. The guitar has a alder body, not the greatest for tone, but it can still get you where your going. Theres a tone and volume control, I think thats it. Theres 1 humbucker and 2 single coil pickups the humbucker is at the bridge and then you know, theres the 2 single coils. It comes in a pack, so you have everything ex. Tuner, strap, cables, picks, DVD, amp, headphones, ect. // 10

Sound: Well, I love hard rock. HIM is my all time favorite band so I try to play a lot of their songs which are really fast and difficult. It is surprisingly easy to play and fun too, its worth the money. I'm using the amp that comes with it, at the time anyways the Ibz10? Yeah, I think thats it, and I'm using a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal when I can. The pickups sometimes pick up some noise and the amp can get noisy if you have overdrive on and sometimes when you are using distortion. You can probably use this guitar for every type of music that involves a guitar, it has great range and can do everything from jazz to death medal and all in between. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up really great at the factory, it was almost perfectly tuned out of the box. It has fast action and is fun to play. The pickups were adjusted pretty well, but needed a little bit of work. Other than that everything was flawless. It is probably the best guitar out of the box I've seen in a long time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great, it can definitly withstand live gigs, it seems like it will last me a while and the strap is great. I can definitly depend on this baby, I could definitly use it anytime w/o a backup. As I said before, the finish is perfect, theres no problem with it and I can tell you now, it will last for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: For my music (heavy rock) its a perfect match, the humbucker helps the sound out alot, but you will want to fix things up later. I am pretty sure that I would buy it again if it were lost/stolen because it's my first guitar, and it rocks, period. I love the tone, and definitly the play-ability. I cant say anything bad about this thing. At all. Ever. Never buy a Squire Strat because this thing absoloutly blows it away. It rocks, buy this guitar. Amazing for beginners! // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2006

Purchased from: brookmays

Features: 22 med frets. Metallic red finish. Strat based body. Graphite nut. Came with a gig bag, 10 watt amp, strap, cheapo cord. H/S/S pickups. // 7

Sound: I play a alot of '70s-'80s stuff (Sabbath, Kiss, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, etc). This thing perfectly suits it all. I'm only using it with the 10 watt Ibanez IBZ10G it came with but am saving for a Marshall. I play most of the time with overdrive on with gain all the way up. Its prety bad about feedback when not being played but can be avoided by simply keeping your arm on the strings. Sounds freakin' sweet with treble all the way up. Tone range is incredible. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Has really low action which I love but it has spoiled me and sounds crappy when I play my Fender acoustic with friggin high action. Pickups were solid. Sometimes the 1st string gets caught in the fret wire on the side of the fretboard. Only flaws can find is that the whammy bar doesnt work worth crap. Metallic red paint is beautiful. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar easily plays live with really good sound, no meed for backup. At the current moment everything is holding up good. Can keep tune for a good day and a half before retuning is needed. No need for tightening the strap buttons. // 10

Overall Impression: As was aid before I play a lot of old stuff and this is perfect. I do wish its whammy bar worked but I can finger vibrato good enough. I've been playing for a good year and a half (people say I have a special gift on guitar) were it stolen I would probably go for a Strat but I am content with this. I own a First Act half size acoustic (biggest piece of crap I ever seen), and a Fender DG-8S (very good, but high action) my favorite part about it is the body, it just looks sick. Overall extremely good guitar recommended to beginners or an experienced player lookin fer some new gear. // 9

GRX40 Reviewed by: blindskater1213, on march 22, 2007

Purchased from: Firehouse Guitars

Features: It was made in Japan. It has 22 rosewood medium frets, with pearl dot inlays, on a thin neck. Solid top, mine is navy metallic with a white pickguard. It has a mahagony, Strat style body. Passive electronics, H/S/S and a non-locking, six screw tremolo. Volume and tone knobs, wiht a 5-way selector. It comes in a starter kit with everything you need, including an amp, tuner, picks, strap, cord, gig bag, intructional DVD and a lot more. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock and metal, and it sounds good for both. It is good for most styles of music. On the humbucker it has a rich/full sound, on the middle it is more twangy, and the neck pickup is great for clean and blues. It is a very versitile guitar, and can get any sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action, fit & finish were set up perfectly from the factory. The pickups were right, the bridge was good, and routed properly, everything was good, which is another bonus for a beginner choosing this as their fist guitar. It had no flaws or problems, and that made me very happy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for over a year so far and have had no problems with it. The hardware seems durable, the strap buttons are solid. I would use it in a gig without backup. The finish has no sign of wear, and I play it quite a bit. I have banged it on things and the finish did not scratch or chip. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I play rock and metal, this was a good match for me, with the humbucker. It would be good for most any type of music. I've been playing for over a year, and I also have a Yamaha acoustic. If it was stolen or lost, I would by a different one, because I do not need another starter kit. I love how you can play any type of music one it, and I personally like the humbucker. I compared it to a Strat Starter Kit, my friend has one and the amp from the Strat pack isn't near as good as the one from this pack. The store worker recommended this kit. // 9

GRX40 Reviewed by: JamSessionFreak, on april 13, 2010

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Music Max, Slovenia

Features: My guitar was made was made in 2007 in China. It has 22 medium-sized frets with a rosewood fingerboard, maple neck and a strat/ibanez style agatis/basswood solid-top body with a black finish and a white pickguard The bridge is a chromed non-locking six-screw equiped with whammy bar. The puckups are passive: (Bridge --> Neck) Hambucker STD-H3/Singlecoil STD-S2/Singlecoil STD S1. It has a volume and tone knob with a 5 way pickup switch. I don't really know which tuners it has. They have a little problem with keeping the guitar in tune when I use the tremolo bar. The neck is great; its slim so it's really easy to play and it's a bolt-on so I have easy acces to the higher frets. It came in an Ibanez Starter Pack with a practice amp that is what would you expect from a starter pack amp - playable but with a lot of unwanted feedbac. It also came with a gig bag (crap), cable (crap), a good strap, a tuner (crap) and some picks. // 8

Sound: I play mostly rock, blues, rock n' roll and it's not bad for those styles but it doesn't get close to a Gibson or Epiphone but it's simply great if I have the need to play metal. I use it with the Ibanez TBX30 amp and a Zoom G1X multieffects pedal and they fit togather perfectly with the guitar. It isnt noisy at all, the sound is also preety good and very versetile with some tweeking ( altough as I said before, it isnt excelent with blues and RN'R). It has the Ibanez quality but it lacks the gibson/epiphone/fender soul. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was excelent, it was finely tuned and the action was great. The pickups were adjusted well, the neck tension was great, the bridge was properly routed. It doesn't has any flaws. The wood wasn't damaged, the tuning pegs were tight the saddle and nut were set corectly. The ONLY "flaw" that I could find was that the input jack was a little loose but a 6 year old kid could fix that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldt exactly recommend the guitar for live preformance, as it gets out of tune quickly when it gets in contact with the vibrations of other loud instruments. The hardware is very durable and the strap buttons haven't come loose since I bought the guitar. You can definitely depend on it and I have never used backup for it. The finish has a crack in the back but what can you expect if I dropped it a thousand times so its in great shape considering what it has gone through. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall it's a great practice guitar and an outstanding guitar for begginers that are still findig out what they want to play. It is great for metal and hard rock but it lacks the bluesy and rock n'roll sound. I have been playing for about 2 years and it I am currently the only one among my bandmates and friends who never had to repair his guitar. I also have a Acoustic guitar and the GRX is probably going to last longer. I do not regret buying this guitar at all. I it were stolen I would buy a diffirent model, probably an Epipone, but I would ever consider playing recreational metal I would probably buy it again. I really love its playability and feel. I don't hate anything about it. I only wish it had better tuners. I really recommend this guitar if you are a begginer or if you would like to explore metal. // 9

GRX40 Reviewed by: Gio Ozkr, on november 02, 2010

Purchased from: My friend bought it in US

Features: My Ibanez GRX40 was made in Japan, 2007. It has 22 medium frets in a smooth sweet GRX neck with bolt on neck. It has an agathic body and rosewood fretboard. it has what I believe that is a solid top in a black satin finish with a white pickguard. It is Strat like body with a Standard tremolo bridge. All in chrome hardware. It has one volume knob and one tone knob and a five way selector. It has in pickup in the neck another one in the center and a uncovered hambucker in the bridge position. The tuners I don't really know if the are lockin or non locking. It is a very comfortable guitar and a good thing is ti weight almost none. One thing is that the guitar got out of tune real quick but I found a method on how to put he string correctly and it worked. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for me, I play hard rock, heavy metal, nu metal and all kind of rock that there is. I have a 15 watt marshal amp and a metal muff distortion pedal, Vox wah pedal. The guitar sound really bright undistorted and sound even better with distortion. It produces a rich, thick sound very cool and satisfying. The guitar plays good distorted, undistorted and with the wah pedal makes a really cool sounds that are har to describe. I play this guitar 6-8 hours a day and sounds great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was and is in perfect condition not one single flaw. Is really great to play. The pickups were perfect, nothing loose. The bridge was properly adjusted. When I took it out of the box it was perfect man perfect! In the whole meaning of the word. The guitar dint have rust or nothing, Perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? Hell yeah its a really good beginner-intermediate guitar.the hardware seems like it will last for ever. The straps buttons are solid and withstand wild movements. Can I depend on It? Of course. I would use it in a gig without backup. The finish will last because when I play I tend to touch the finish with the pick and it hasn't wore off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play as I said, Heavy metal such as Iron Maiden, nu metal such as System Of A Down and on and on and the guitar fits my playing style. I been playing for 2 years by the time I wrote this review. If this guitar were stolen I will get the same guitar. I love the whole guitar you know it a good instrument when it comes to sound and reliability. M favorite feature is that it is a lightweight guitar, try a Gibson or a Fender and the are way to heavy. I chose third guitar over a Epiphone SG because I love Ibanez, and the output jack is on the side of the guitar and not in the front of it. I wish it had a bridge capable of wahmy madness, but overall the guitar is a really good instrument and one that you can really can count on. // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: nik_I, on march 16, 2006

Features: This guitar has everything a beginner needs. Different kinds of pickup, not just one, open coil and humbucker, and the whammy bar is great fun! I'm not too familiar with all the specifics, so refer to another review for that. I didn't buy my guitar as a package, but the package it has been sold in looks pretty good. // 8

Sound: This guitar has a great sound. It can adapt to any style of music. I like to play it really loud with maximum distortion, but for my lessons, some of the songs require a clean channel, and the guitar has a crystal clear sound coming out of my Marshall MG series. From AC/DC hard rock to something as mellow as Dire Straits, the sound is stunning! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is a very sturdy guitar. I wouldnt expect something to randomly break. Everything is high quality. I love it! The only thing I don't really approve of is the metal on the fretboard. It doesn't seem to be filed down too well, so when you're moving your hand up and down it can 'cause some irritation. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this guitar live any day. It's just that well built. It's an Ibanez. Not even just a by Ibanez like Squier by Fender, this is the real deal. I've hit this guitar on stuff and nothing happened. The only thing I probably wouldn't depend on in front of an audience is the stock strings! // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great begginer's guitar if you have the money. It's great for someone more advanced too. It's just an all around great instrument! I would buy this guitar again if it ever broke or if it was stolen, it's timeless! It has a fender-like look and feel to it, but has that metal and out of the ordinary styling and design of an Ibanez. It's perfect! // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: guitarpunk21, on october 30, 2006

Sound: I used to play mainly punk, but now I like to play older rock, like Zeppelin, Kiss, Boston, and Rush. I also play metal, and I'd say this guitar is great for it. IMO, I'd throw out the amp if you have money for a better one, because the amp it comes with (IBZ10G) isn't a great amp. I don't use any effects, but I plan on getting a distortion pedal. The guitar isn't extremely noisy, but I think it's mainly the amp. If you use the amps overdrive and put the tone on guitar to 10, it gets really noisy. Or if you have on the overdrive, and don't have the guitars volume up all the way, it's also quite nosy. It has a good sound, but you should get new strings on it. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfect right out of the box. Pickups were right height, and everything else was great. It is made out of Alder though, and it's not that great of a wood. The pickup guard is a little loose in one spot, but it's no big problem. The action was great. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar can stand live playing. The hardware seems to be okay, and it should last for awhile. Change the strap buttons, because they are too small to hold a strap that well. I'd use it without a backup, due to the fact I don't have a backup. It chips pretty easily, but just take care of it. // 7

Overall Impression: For my style, it is a pretty good match. I've been playing for a year almost, and this is the only guitar I own. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably look for a reasonably low priced high end Epi LP. Overall, it's a pretty good beginners guitar. What I love the most, is that it was moderately cheap and came with an amp, even though it's not great. // 7

GRX40 Reviewed by: XibanezedgeX, on january 18, 2007

Purchased from: music go round

Features: This guitar is amazing it has a great mettalic red finish and a 22 fret fast thin neck (like all ibanezs). It has an alder body and a maple neck topped by a mahogany fingerboard. The pickups are humm-single-single and it has a regular non-locking tremolo. It has 2 knobs a volume and a tone and 5-way switching. Mine did'nt come with any other accesories. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds amzingly good. My style of playing is anyhting from punk to metal but mostly I play shred stuff like Paul Gilbert, Vai and Buckethead. Whatever I play on this thing it sounds great. I use it with a no-name 10W practice amp and a TM-5 Soundtank distortion pedal and even with the junk I play it through the guitar still sounds great. The humbucker sounds nice, big and fat (great for Gilbert-style music) the middle pickup sounds like a Strat and the neck has a great mellow bluesly like quality about it. the middle pickup is also reverse wired so when the neck and mid are played together it forms a hum-canceling single coil tone monester! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: What else can I say about it. Finish perfect, pickup ajustment perfect, flaws nonexistent. Pretty much everything you can ask for. This guitar was made in Japan and has the quality of a fancy americain made product. The action was pefect for my style and need no adjustment. Nothing on the guitar needed adjustment from when I first bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The red metallic finish is extremly durable snd no matter how many times it has been dropped the finish remains flawless. The tremolo bridge can survive anything Herman Li style dive bombs, pressing the arm down that it almost touches the body, overuse, being picked up by the arm everything. The only thing that happens is (like all none locking tremolos) it goes out of tune. I would defintily take this guitar on a gig without a backup. I can't think of any thing that could go wrong with this guitar other then accidentaly running it over with a car. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly shred and this guitar is absolutly perfect for it. It has a quality that made Ibanez the number one choice for players like Vai, Satch and Gilbert. I'v been playing for five years and I have seen no reason to upgrade this guitar. Everyone else calls it a begginers guitar I think it's just a begginer's priced guitar. In opinion (and through my comparrisions) this guitar could own a Fender Strat any day. If it was stolen I would not hesitate in buying a $2000 Gibson, taking it, and smashing it over the theif's head taking my Ibanez back and leaving him w/a headache and a broken Gibson. I love everything about it and getting it was the best desicion I evermade. // 10

GRX40 Reviewed by: croc76, on november 08, 2007

Purchased from: Cash Converters

Features: This is made in Japan with 22 frets with a extremely thin neck and a rosewood fretboard. This axe is made of alder and the finish is black. The guitars finish is extremely thick and strong as I have put this guitar through a lot (dropping it, banging it against things). It has a Strat body but more sharper and more of a metallish design. The bridge is a Standard tremolo bridge and with a string through bridge. The controls are passive and has a volume, and tone pot with a five way Switch. it is in an SSH configuration and are normal tuners (Vintage style). // 8

Sound: This guitar is a very versatile guitar and it does suit my music style which consists of classic rock (David Gilmour, Pink Floyd) I use it with a 30w Monterey amp and mostly on clean. This guitar is not noisy at all because the controls are shielded under the pickguard. Also recently I changed the pickups and now it sounds great! Now it is an S-H-H configuration with a humbucker (mini) in the middle position and now it is VERY versatile. I can use this for metal, crazy emo junk, soft rock classic rock, and using it for solos. The pickups that come with it are decent. The neck is warm and twangy, the middle is smooth and trebly and the bridge is even more trebled up. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Yes the acton is great, and the pickups are fine the way thay are and everything is routed fine. Probably one of the reasons for this is it was made in japan and not china. All this was fine for me. the action and finish is fine and really strong.This guitar was fine and everything was almost perfect and this is great compared to higher end guitars. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a beating. And the hardware will last a decent time. The strap buttons are solid but you may want to replace them with strap locks (a must for all guitars). I can depend on it fine and it is my workhorse. This thing is tough! the reliability and durability would be more than those expensive guitars. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues/ classic rock I've been playing for about a year and I also have an Epiphone DR200CE and I'm also in the middle of modding (GRX40) this guitar out. I'm currently sanding it down to a natural finish, replacing volume and tone pots and rewiring it as a whole renovation process. If I were to lose it or someone stole it I would be extremely angry and wouldn't buy this guitar again. I would buy another more expensive guitar because I wouldn't want to renovate another one! I'm fine with this guitar and so should you be! // 8

GRX40 Reviewed by: hazardmaster, on december 27, 2007

Purchased from: Musicworks

Features: Came with a accessories bag, small amp of mederate quality, whammy bar, bad quality tuner, strap which was bad and ripped quite soon. 5 picks which sucked and wore out in literally minutes and left coloured markings on my scratchboard. That was just the crappy stuff which came with the pack though. The guitar itself is excellent quality for it's low price, this is the first electric I got. Would definitely reccomend this guitar to anyone starting out electric. 22 frets, made in Japan, solid body. Very good quality overall. // 9

Sound: Gives a good sound, I just use it with the Ibanez GTA10 amp that came with the amp. I used to use the hummers all the time but then I came to love the other pickups. Sadly the amp which came with it isn't that great. But I purchased mine as a beginner starter package, so you get what you get I suppose. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is great. The set up was brilliant, pickups excellent. However the strap buttons get loose so I have to keep tightening them. It's because of the screws. I had to replace the strap buttons' screws because the wood inside was rotten. This is probably just my guitar though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very durable, but the wood inside the guitar is rotting. I had to take out the strap buttons' screws and replace them, and still I have to tighten them every few weeks. I would gig with this thing without a backup, it will last you a decade. It's good, but not that good. By the time this dies you will probably have upgraded. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a brilliant guitar. Ibanez gives amazing value for money, but I am pretty peeved that the tuner, strap, picks, and the other stuff that came with the guitar in the package sucked. The amp is ok. But I got mine as a beginner started pack so I guess I can't really complain. Overall, this is a very good guitar which I would reccomend to anyone as an electric to learn on. I've had this thing for about 17 months now and it's in great condition. // 9

GRX40 Reviewed by: joshpick19, on october 14, 2009

Purchased from: The Guitar Factory

Features: I just bought this guitar on ebay Brand New a few weeks ago and got it about a week ago. I already had a crappy Fender rip off that came in a starter pack. This was definitely an upgrade. It is made in America and has a 22 fret, Rosewood neck with an Alder body. It's a basic Strat style guitar but it fits great with my body. It has 2 controls which consist of volume and tone. It didn't come with any accesories but for $108 it was a steal of a deal. // 7

Sound: The style of music that I play definitely sounds great with this guitar. I play alot of classic rock and blues. The middle pickup is great for this style. I use a small travel amp that has poor sound quality but the guitar sounds great when I tweak the amp. I also accompany it with a Boss Metal Core pedal and a Boss Digital Delay pedal for when I'm in a Metallica or Pink Floyd or a bluesy mood. The amp makes a buzz sound which I'm pretty sure isn't the guitar. I can do a variety of tricks with this such as a ringing bell effect that sounds great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is aweosme. When I play the fast AC/DC style I can easily move up and down the neck with ease. The pickups are adjusted perfectly to give a great sound. There was a miniscule scratch that was on the back of the guitar but that was the main reason why I got it for so cheap. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely give the guitar a try at Live playing. It has a great tone that seems like it would sound good for gigs. The guitar seems durable and seems like it will last a long time. The strap buttons were a little small for my strap but it is not a big deal. I've heard that alot of the strap buttons would become stripped or loosened and wouldn't stay so that is something that I am anticipating. As of right now I could definitely say that I would bring it to a gig and rock it out. The finish does seem durable enough to last a long time to come. // 9

Overall Impression: For the classic rock/ blues style that I play this guitar is a great match for me. I have been playing for several years and think that it will be a great add to an upcoming collection of guitars. If something had happened to my guitar that deemed it unplayable I would definitely get a new one. The best feature about it is the pickups. They give me the great rock sound that I enjoy. Overall I think that this is a great beginner/intermediate guitar that would be reliable over time and I would definitely consider this guitar when looking to buy one. // 9

GRX40 Reviewed by: abtrogdor, on june 23, 2010

Price paid: A$ 170

Purchased from: Second Hand

Features: Made in Indonesia in 2007, (I think), Cherry red finish, bolt-on 22 fret neck with truss rod, rosewood fretboard. Don't know the wood, but it's heavy, as heavy as my telecaster. Strat-style body, 6-saddle tremolo bridge, 5-way pickup selector, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Single-Single-humbucker pickups. Nothing fancy, but it's solidly built and well put together, great for a beginner. // 7

Sound: I play blues-rock (Clapton, Santana, Berry) and classic rock (AC/DC, etc), a little classic metal (Iron Maiden, etc) as well. I use a Vox Pathfinder 10w practice amp, and an ancient Yamaha 50w solid-state when I want to go louder. The pickups are really good for a cheap guitar, you can actually tell the difference between the 5 Switch positions. The neck is bright(ish) and clear(ish) (be real, you're not going to get Fender Strat tones from a $200 guitar) as is the middle, and the humbucker gives some thickness and volume. On the whole, it's a thoroughly decent-sounding guitar for someone starting out, and equally good for an intermediate player to get some decent sounds out of. It's not amazing, and it's not as good as a Fender or Gibson, but I think it holds it's own against some Squiers and Epiphones if you know what you're doing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't't had any problems with this, even though I bought it second-hand it was in as new condition. I don't use the tremolo so it stays in tune pretty well, I like the tuners as well. Everything was in great condition, and has stayed in great condition over the year I've had it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is Solid. I think you could drop it and the floor would take more damage. The strap buttons are solid, the neck is tight and solid, even though it's a bolt-on, everything is really well designed and put together. It's not fiddly, so it's perfect for people starting out. I think it'd handle live playing, but if you're good enough to play live then you probably would have upgraded. I'd use it for small gigs or as a secondary guitar, but it's really a learner's guitar more than anything. // 9

Overall Impression: As above, I play blues-rock, classic rock and a little classic metal, and it does all of these relatively well. The pickups aren't amazing, but you can get a good sound out of them if you know what you're doing. I've been playing for about a year, and I also own an SX Telecaster. If it was stolen or lost I'd probably buy something else, but I do love this guitar, it's been great to learn on. I'm probably going to upgrade some of the parts instead of buying a new guitar, I'm looking at an electrical upgrade and putting some DiMarzo or Seymour Duncan pickups in. Overall, I would recommend this guitar to anyone wanting to learn, Ibanez still releases a starters pack with this guitar, and it's a good purchase. A second-hand one will most likely still be solid and good to play as well. It's nothing fancy, but it's good and simple and solid, exactly what you want when starting out. // 8

GRX40 Reviewed by: Azry93, on august 11, 2011

Purchased from: Lepo Music Centre

Features: Mine is made in China, got 22 frets, black metallic finish which shows every dirt and fingerprints. H/S/S pickup position.non locking tremolo which goes out of tune easily. Medium frets. White pickguard, a volume knob and a tone knob. 5-way selector. This guitar looks much like Ibanez RG. Comes with gig strap, cable, tools and picks. // 7

Sound: I play metal stuff like Children Of Bodom, Trivium, A7X, Metalllica etc... The pickups maybe sounds okay for a beginner but honestly speaking, to me the humbucker sounds shitty and can't handle metal playing. I use a Marshall mg10 and the Behringer UM300 Ultra metal distortion (lol at cheap item I got here). The UM300 pedal really boost the quality sound of this guitar. I suggeat any other begginer who intended to buy this guitar and use a cheap solid amp, go buy a distortion pedal because the pickup sounds sucks if small amps without distortion pedal. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was not perfectly set up in the factory. I have to send this guitar to service to fix everything i.e. pickup height, string height, intonation, the trus rod etc. There should be no problem with guitar as long you readjust everything since buying. The action feels good for me. So far no problem about the finish except for the finish can get easily scratched. The only thing I hate about this guitar is the neck feels cheesy. Its very hard to shred crazy stuff on the neck bot it might be okay for the beginners. I've play guitar for about 3 years and the guitar neck doesnt't really suits my playing anymore. // 5

Reliability & Durability: You can use this guitar for a small gig.no problems at all. The hardware is perfect. It seems that it will last forever. Lol. This guitar have been fall from wall many times(before I but guitar stand), but still no flaws. I guess that you can use this guitar to kill zombies. Lol, so far no problems with the strap button. The finish seems that it will last forever. // 9

Overall Impression: This doesnt't really suits my playing but quite okay for practicing. I've been playing this guitar for about 2 years now and this guitar still in perfect condition.if it were stolen I will rather buy a different guitar that really suits me. This guitar only suits a beginners. I love this guitar because it worth my money. To me its a very good guitar for the price. The moment I brought this guitar, the guitar seller wants me to choose between Fender Strat and this guitar because it has the same price. I choose this guitar rather than the Fender because this guitar have humbucker compared to the Fender that only has a single coil pickup. This guitar looks better, plays better than the sh-tty Fender. Lol. I highly recommend this guitar for beginners that play rock style music. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014