GRX720 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/27/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GRX720
With the new GRX720 7-string Ibanez states that not only do they have the only seven-strings that matter, they've also got the industry's first and only name-brand entry level 7-string.
 8.7
 9.5
 7.8
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
GRX720 Reviewed by: Rob the Tipton, on october 11, 2005

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: Well first off the guitar is my first seven string and it is pretty damn good. - Rosewood fingerboard - Agathis body - Standard 7 tremelo - 1 volume, 1 tone - 2 Axis 7 humbuckers - 3-way pickup selector - Pickgaurd - 22 medium frets - String trees on D-e I'm glad it came with a tremelo, it does not go out of tune period after divebombing many times which is amazing to me because my other guitar with a similar bridge would go out with a simple dip. The entire shape of the guitar is beautifull, I love the head stock. I wish the pickups were a little better though. // 8

Sound: I play lots of metal, shred, progressive, and classic rock music and this fits all of these standards. It has a really nice low end sound and the highs are great too. How ever it's a little too bassy, all you gotta do is turn down your lows on your amp about 3 from where it is already. But the guitar is sensitive to the movement of your arm, for instance if you tap the guitar a tad you can hear it through the amp, it really isn't that big of a deal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action set-up was way to high for my likings, so I lowered it to my likings. The pickup were almost touching the strings so I lowered them a bit. The pickup selector is not in a good spot for switching from rhythm to solo (bridge to neck and vica-versa). The finish on this guitar is awesome, though I do prefer flat black opposed to glossy black. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had any shows with it yet, but I can tell this ones gonna last. This guitar is pretty beasty and looks it too. I bought strap locks for it to be extra carefull. Of course I would always have a backup, anything can go wrong, aside that I wouldn't go without a backup if everything went perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: From Morbid Angel to Dream Theater this guitar will fit your liking for sure. If your looking for a seven string for experimenting to see if you like it, or looking for a solid guitar this is the right guitar for you. If this was lost or stolen, would I be pretty pissed off because I think they're done making this model (according to Music123 you can't take my word perfectly) but I would definitally go buy a new one or beat the shit out of the bastard that stole it in the first place. It's kinda hard to loose a guitar, you don't just lose guitars like you loose picks. I wish it had floyd rose just because it looks cool and also I wish it had a flat black finish. // 10

GRX720 Reviewed by: systmofadwn, on july 27, 2009

Purchased from: Crossroads Guitar House

Features: I have a pretty good feeling that it was made in Japan. It has 22 frets, a rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, 25.5 neck scale, medium frets, Strat styled body, glossy black finish, Floyd Rose bridge, a volume and tone knob, a 5 way selector Switch, and S-S-H pickup configuration. Suits my needs. // 10

Sound: I mostly play Metal and Hard Rock including Korn, System Of A Down, Skillet, and Escape the Fate. I have a crappy First Act 10 watt amp my friend gave to me. It sucks but it will have to do for now. I overuse the bridge humbucker pickups, usually when playing songs with heavy distortion. The humbucker gives a rich/full sound, while the neck pickups gives a nice clean sound. The distortion on my amp is very fuzzy, but messing around with the tone knob fixes it easy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is lower than the center of the dirt in my yard. The pickups were very well put together along with everything else on the guitar. The finish is almost indestructable. Everything on the guitar is good except the pickups selector clicks a lot when ever I'm switching through. And the humbucker almost blew my speaker. But besides that, the guitar didn't contain any flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do believe that this guitar would be able to tsnad a live show. I had dropped it once, and the finish stayed clean and chip- free. The hardware seems durable. It depends on how you takecare of the guitar is how it will end up. One complaint I had was that the strap buttons were kinda loose. But my dad fixed them and there fine. The finish seems very thick and cannot be cracked. It seems fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I would highly recommend this guitar to any musician Who is looking for a good guitar for a very cheap price, but if your looking for something that meets the standards of a PRS or something, this is not for you. If this was lost or stolen, then I would get either an Ibanez GRX20 or an RG120. But I think this guitar is great all around. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014