GSA60 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/12/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: GSA60
Loaded with one humbucker, two single-coil pickups, and medium frets enables the GSA60 to fit in any application.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.1
 8.1
 8.2
 7.9
reviews (22) pictures (9) 46 comments vote for this gear:
GSA60 Reviewed by: guitarhero5t, on august 24, 2005

Purchased from: George's Music

Features: I own the 2004 model. 22 frets. The neck is very comfortable to play on and is easy to get used to almost immediatly. It now comes in blue black and some crazy natural/yellow that I saw once. Mine is blue very nice. I believe it is made with alder body and a maple neck. I'm not postive though. It has the same body shape as the other SA models, just a bit thicker around the edges. It has a stantard tremelo, nothing flashy. Two single coils (neck, middle) and a single powersound humbucker (bridge). One volume, one tone, and a 5-way pickup selector. // 8

Sound: This guitar is very versatile. I can play everything on it. My band plays alternative, rock, and heavy metal, and it plays all seemlessly. My uncle played blues on it two, and it sounded great! It also cleans up nice for acoustic sounds. I put it through a Line 6 Flextone 2 amp, and I use the amps effects. The humbucker is silent when not in play, but the single coils hum, witch is to be expected. It has a bright sound on the humbucker, and a mello sound if you put it towards the neck. The only problem I found, was when I play with distirtion, I had a hard finding the crunch I needed, without all the distortion. I might get EMG's. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The acton came pretty low, but I changed and messed with the guitar so much, I found a perfect action. It is low enough to do a very wide variety of trills and shit, but I can still do pinch harmonics easily. The pickups were set far from the strings, so that was adjusted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any problems with this guitar yet. The only thing I had to change was the strap buttons. I got straplocks. Although the balnce is perfect, I still felt the need for them. // 10

Overall Impression: One word - awesome! Though if I could I would get a better guitar. // 10

GSA60 Reviewed by: BassDude2737, on october 26, 2005

Features: Lets see I'm not exactly sure where it was made but I'm pretty sure that Ibanez is a Japan based company. It has 22 medium frets, a laminated top and a agathis body (I've never heard of any guitars made out of this wood, based on the feel I would have guessed maple, but shows you how much I know). It is a transparent finish I believe. This is almost exactly a copy of a Strat. The body is almost identical the only thing that is different is the electronics. It comes equipped with on hum-bucker and one single coil pickup. Unfortuneatly it has a wilkinson tremeolo, which is just about my only complaint about the guitar. This thing drifted like hell. Finally I broke down and took it into the shop. The teck locked down the bridge and has worked great ever since. However if you are buying this guitar for the tremolo don't buy it. It has one volume and one tone with a five way selector Switch. It came with a gig bag and a 25 foot cable. // 8

Sound: I can get a lot of sounds out of this guitar. From a really soft tone to the Jimi Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughan sound that I just love to use when I'm playing live. I play a bluesy music. This guitar can make any sound. I think that that is due to the 5-way selector. However it is fairly noisy. This could be because the setting that I use uses a lot of trble but I doubt it. Some of it is grounding problems because I had to eliminate the grounding pin because my room only has 2 prong outlets. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was fairly well set up when I got it. However I lowered the action, this is just a personal preference. Also as I mentioned before the tremolo kept drifitng so I had to have that locked down. Also the strings keep rusting on me. This could be becuase of the high humidity in my room. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. I have played it on several live gigs without a backup and it performs just great. Never has busted a string live. I brought it to a gig for one of my friends as a backup and he ended up playing itr. I think that I will wear out with time. Also I have notived some staining around the nut area. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this gutiar a awful lot. However I think that if it were lost I would reach for another Ibanez but maybe something of a little higher quality, and certainly one without a Wilkinson tremolo. // 8

GSA60 Reviewed by: kerrang, on july 09, 2004

Purchased from: Matchetts Music Belfast

Features: 22 medium frets on a rosewood body and maple neck. Agathis body makes this pretty strong and light. Strat Style black body with a laminated top (which I thought went pretty damn well with the chrome hardware). Sat-10 bridge which succumbs really well to the non-lockin tremolo arm and it stays in tune pretty well too. 5-way pickup selector powered by a bridge humbucker and 2 single coils at the mid and neck positions. Volume and tone knobs a second tone knob would have been ideal. // 8

Sound: At the minute im playin a lot of things (havin difficulty with tribal stuff lol) includin Metallica, Status Quo, AC/DC and it suits all these pretty well if you use just the Humbucker it sound dead death metal then mix it with the mid single coil it sounds really woody. At the moment im bringin it though a Peavy "Rage 158" 15 watt and a "soundking" practice 15 to give it a bit more beef. It dosent seem to make the click sound when changing thru the pickup selector my old axe did. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm so pleased with the sound I havn't had 2 highten or lower the pickups yet everything works as it should, no flaws. However the black venir on the end bit of the neck looks a bit plasticy and tacky against the wood. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I havent played it live but I gave it a good arse kicking the other day I would take it without a backup to a gig tho. Feels like a brick built shithouse - could withstand a kicking, ya no? // 8

Overall Impression: I was really pleased with the quality of guitar I got for 190 quid really pleased with it especially the whammy arm a good guitar overall I'd recommend you get it if u got deep pockets. // 10

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2005

Purchased from: Vedvik pianocenter

Features: The guitar is made in Indonesia, the body is made of agathis and the neck have 22 frets. I would prefer 24. It has three pickups, a singelcoil in the neck, another one in the middle and a humbucker in the bridge position (H-S-S). It has a 5-way Switch. The neck is made of rosewood. It has one knob for volume and one for tone. Easy to control. // 8

Sound: This is mainly a newbeginner guitar, and its a wery good one. Easily played, good sound and it isn't heavy. It was the second guitar I bought (had a Les Paul replica before that. It sucked) and I still have it. The sound varies from warm and fat, to bright and sharp. This guitar's sound is perfect for metall. The humbucker have a bright and fat sound, and with the right amp it can kick ass! It isn't very noisy. You might hear some distant buzzing if you sit next to a computer. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The quality of the GSA60 varies, and you should check before you buy it. Some people end up with a completely s--ty guitar (knobs that easily goes off, tremolo that is shity etc) but mine is very nice peace of work. The tremolo is working perfect. I have changed strings to Ernie Ball Power slinky and have equipped the guitar with an xtra spring (the strings are from 11 to 48) because the strings coming equipped with the guitar is completly garbage. It's overall easy to play. Sometimes something makes a weird sound that I don't know were came from. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You probably will have to smash it in the fllor to destroy it. It is very solid and very strongly made. // 8

Overall Impression: If you ar a newbeginner, low on money and need a great variety of tones, this is the guitar for you my friend. The only flaw is that the tremolo arm is coming near one of the knobs. But it is still a very good guitar. In case you are wondering about the stiff price, there is no such thing as a cheap guitar up her in Norway. // 8

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2005

Purchased from: Manchester

Features: The GSA is a classic Super Strat. In the traditional '80s style of the original Ibanez guitars it is a copy of a well established design. Made in Japan, it has a very machine made feel, quite unlike a Gibson or a Gretch but shares their quality of workmanship. Unlike a Fender it is more than a slab of wood. The body is shaped to hug the body, making comfortable playing, and the main body has a nice but fragile transparent glaise which cracks easily. The neck itself is very comfortable to play. Maple, and mine has a jet fret board, more expensive but gives a great dark tone. I took the option of a floyd rose tremelo which iv added myself. It comes origianlly with a Tune-O-Matic, and a nice balanced whammy. The controls are all in solid chrome, and heavy duty knobs usefull for gigging, 1 intelligent controll knob a volume and a 5 way selector. It sounds limited but the guitar is incredibly virsitial, as it adjusts everything automaticly to fit different tones when you adjust the knobs. The pickups are perfect for rockers everywhere. The tone they give can fit anything from rock 'n' roll too high gain thrashy chords and heavy solo's. The guitar features 2 single coil and one very hot heavy metal orientated humbucker. The guitar does have a tendancy to go out of tune when playing live, after moving around and performing on stage it does slip out of tune. A floyd rose can help to solve the problem, with lockin tuning, but players should be aware of this flaw. The annoying thing is when I first got it it stayed in tune perfectly for weeks on end. This does ditearerate however. // 8

Sound: The pickups give the oppurtunity for a huge range of styles, as they are not completely humbuckers, so not to heavy. The tone selector is brilliant and it is very easy to install a high gain/low gain cut Switch aswell. My bands play everthing from Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden) to rock 'n' roll (Early Beatles, Chuckberry) etc. But this guitar comes into its own when playing live, at the heavier end of the musical spectrum. When playing on the bridge pickup it gives amazing treble tone, which cuts like a razor through any band. Its has a perfect Jimi Hendrix sound but when the gain is cranked up, makes it easy to play pinch harmonics and the sustain is unbeleivable. Infact, the pickup is so tight it almost creates a wah wah sound in the bass strings when in a high gain tone. The single pickups give a much softer more traditional sound ideal for jazz and blues aswell as a substitute for an acoustic when onstage. As far as amps go, this guitar will sound best in a trans tube amp, Half solid half valve state. At the moment I have three amps, a Fender valve, a Marshall 100 DFX (great for high gain tone) and a Vox Amp Modeling Trans Tube. All these amps have built in FX but they can go a bit hay wire thanks to the bridge pickup. I use a Boss Delay, a CryBaby Wah, although the new Vox re-issue sounds better, A DigiTech Grunge, Big Muff and the DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal, which really works well with this guitar. The buzz is none existent and feedback is easy to control if it gets out of hand. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar to all acounts perfectly set up. When I played it in the shop it was brand new, and it was exactly right. The pickups have improved since then and it is now better than it ever was. Do be carefull of the strings it comes with as they can be crap or old or cheap. I re strung it in the shop before it went home! The action is always nice with Ibanez guitars but it is japanese and geared towards the metal market, not the GSA as much, but it still is a very uniform and manufactured feel. The quality of the construction is second to none as is the attention to detail but it has none of the richness or character of a Vintage guitar. Still, it works and sounds great - so you can't complain. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Ibanez GSA series are, against all appearances, brilliant guitars to play live. They seem limited in that it is small and slim line with few controls. But the guitar does all the work, and you can concentrate on producing your individual sound without worrying about things not being right with your tone or position or anything. The guitar has a good balance and rarely comes off the strap. However, after a long time playing, usually during a long rehearsal your right arm does tend to ache, as the pickup are positioned so that you play quite a way across your body and close in. When strumming your hand usually falls at your belly button, so it advised get a none slip strap and play with the guitar on an angle. As I have already mentioned, the finish does crack if it sustains a sharp knock, and finger prints show very easily, but it is hard to stranch and the neck and distinctive head stock don't chip with knocks. I never need a back up, even then its only ever my beloved Tele, which I built myself and never use live. The Ibanez is reliable and raw in tone and appearance. Simple yet effective. // 6

Overall Impression: The guitar has a very fragile appearnce and looks basic, but is infact a solid and value buy. If it becomes wildy out of tune, it has difficulty staying in tune again for several days which is its major flaw. However the mammoth sound it produces and its quality construction makes it the ultimate value guitar. Forget Jackson Soloists and Mavericks. The the lead guitarist you can't get a better guitar for under 300 quid! // 10

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2006

Features: It was made in Indonesia. I believe it was made in 2002, but I am not completely sure. It was 21 frets with a thin neck thats Strat like. It has locking tuners. It has 2 single-coil pickups and one humbucker. It's 5-way selector, one volume control and one tone control give you full range of many sounds. It's body is cutaway Strat like. // 8

Sound: I play all kinds of music from old rock to punk and metal. I usually only use my Zoom Fire-18 practice modeling amp with it and it's pretty amazing for the prize. It can get as clear and clean when you use the right pickups and it will blast your head off when you use the humbucker. The guitar is mainly used for clean sounds, but it's the best for it's price for distoreted, metal sounds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty perfectly from the factory. I bought it and plugged it in and started to play. The string are amazing straight from the store (unlike most new guitars). It is jewel blue and it has no pick guard so it attracts scratches really easily. It also attracts fingerprints like crazy. That might Drive people crazy, but I can handle it cus they're really easy to clean. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will last for many years to come. I would have payed two times the price. I've only had it for about a month and a half but have used it for long periods of time. I would recommed a back-up just incase 'cause I haven't had enough time with this guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock, classic rock, just about any rock there is. It's a pretty good match to just about everythin except it could do better with the distoreted part (it might be my amp because I played it through the effect pedal of my friend and it was amazing but I didn't play it with too much distortion). I wish it had come with a tremolo bar. Guitar Center ripped me off and didn't give me one, but I think it comes standard. I would buy this guitar again if it was lost or stolen. It's price was amazing for all that it's worth. It definetly beats anything its the 0-350 dollar price range. You can always get some better pickups if you wish to upgrade. // 10

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2006

Purchased from: A Friend

Features: I'm not sure of what year it is, I know it's fairly new. It was built in Indonesia. It's got a really nice 22 fret rosewood neck with medium sized frets. It's got a nice solid dark blue finish and has a humbucker at the bridge and two single coils in the neck and middle position, all 3 are the factory pickups. The controls are simply the 5 way pickup selector and a volume knob and a tone knob. It's got the stock tuners and Strat style tremelo bridge. This guitar came with a hardshell gator case, I belive this was purchased seperately by the previous owner. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different styles of music, blues, classic hard rock, metal, punk, pop, some jazz and a little country. I play through a Traynor reverb mate 40 and I only use two pedals, a Boss HM-01 Distortion pedal and a Crybaby GCB-95 standard wah pedal. I don't know what my cables are. This gutiar has a great sound with both distortion and clean, and has a tone that is wide enough to covers the different genres that I play. The Bridge Pickup is pretty quiet but the Single coils in the neck and middle have some buzz. But that's something to be expected with single coil pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was set up just as it was in the factory. It did have a high action, due to the .011's that the previous owner put on them, but switching from 11's to .095's seemed to fix that problem. It does have a noisey volume knob and some oxidation on the hardware but everything else is perfect on it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is pretty durable. I've dropped it a couple times and it's still in one piece. I've only played it at one gig but it did well, I did have some feedback issues but that's no big deal. The finish looks like it's not gonna be worn out ne time soon. The only Concern was that I had to stop and re-tune a lot between songs. Because of these tuning issues I would probably bring a backup gutiar for detuned songs, but I play mostly in standard tuning soo I would be all set with just this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great if you play a different types of music. It covers a variety of tones from jazz to blues to rock & metal. I've been playing for a couple years now and I own 7 other guitars. An Ovation CK-057 acoustic Electric, a 1986 Ibanez Blazer, a no-name Classical, a First Act and 2 Johnson Del Mar Strat Knock-offs. Compared to all these guitars it is my #1 fav. besides my Blazer. If this gutiar got stolen or was lost I would buy another one ASAP! I love the way it sounds and plays, But I really wish I would stay in tune for longer periods of time. It would be nice if it had a better pair of tuners and maybe a floyd rose. // 9

GSA60 Reviewed by: Pacifica112J, on august 21, 2006

Features: I purchased this used, kind of beat up, just as a beat up guitar, and so far, I'm not horribly impressed. I'm not sure what year it is, but if I had to guess, I'd say 2004. It's got 22 medium frets, and a rosewood fretboard, I think. I'm also pretty sure the neck is maple. It's a solid top, agathis body. Mine has a solid, gloss black finish. It's a super-Strat style body, and is actually pretty comfortable. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge, which is okay. The bridge is also floating, which is going to change very soon. The controls are very simple, with just one volume, and one tone knob, coupled with a 5-way selector switch. The pickups are configurated in an S/S/H pattern. The tuners are okay, just basic, non-locking Ibanez tuners. Mine came with no accessories. // 7

Sound: This guitar really doesn't suit any of my styles (shred, speed metal, '80s rock, etc). I couldn't really get a tone from it that I actually liked. That's not necessarily a problem with the guitar, I just didn't like any of the tones it produced. I used it with just a plain Marshall 10-Watt, and a Marshall Half Stack, coupled with a DigiTech Death Medal pedal, that I purchased after I got the guitar. Again, not bad, but the only thing that really turned me on was the bridge humbucker by itself, and even it wasn't that great. It's pretty noisy, too. Sometimes, both of my amps would just sit there and buzz, when I was at least 10 feet from my TV or Computer. This guitar picks up a massive amount of interference, which really pissed me off, since they elected not to even include covers for the single coils, or the 'bucker. The guitar doesn't make a whole lot of sounds. It's just not very versatile. I didn't even see much difference switching from the first single coil, to just the bridge humbucker. Kind of disappointing, coming from Ibanez at least. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment on the guitar being set up from the factory, because I bought it used. As far as the pickups. This is where my biggest gripe comes in. Ibanez decided, for some reason, to leave the two single coils' wiring and soldering completely open. On top of the fact that the soldering looks pretty fragile, it's out in the open. What the hell were they thinking? The humbucker is not so bad, but it wiggles like crazy, and I think it's going to fall out with the slightest bump from my pick or something. Ibanez, what the hell? Fail. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is actually very solid. The neck is solid, and so is the headstock, tuners, etc. The hardware does seem like it will last, minus the pups and 'bucker of course. The strap buttons are also solid, and hold a strap well, no problems here. I would not depend on it for a gig. Hell, I wouldn't even use it as a backup. It's just not a very reliable instrument, from my experiences. The finish is good, and is very thick, it should last given the proper care. // 8

Overall Impression: I wouldn't play it, at all. At least not until it's got aftermarket stuff. But that's just me. Hell, you may like an instrument with buzzier-than-hell frets. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and I own an okay Pacifica, and another Ibanez. I asked if it was a good instrument before I bought it, and despite it's appearance, the guy told me that it played as crappy the day I bought it, as the day it was shipped. If it were lost or stolen, I'd laugh at the retard that took it, because he's just punishing himself, in my opinion. What do I love? Nothing. What do I hate? A lot. My favorite feature? Probably the neck, it's pretty playable. It doesn't comapre to much else, I just wish it didn't suck, is all. But that's why I'm fixing it up, I guess. People looking for a good, cheap axe. Please, for your own sake, look elsewhere. It's just not put together very well, and the tone kind of sucks. I'm not bashing Ibanez, I own another one, and love it. Ibanez as a whole is good, but this one isn't. // 5

GSA60 Reviewed by: pray4gg, on may 08, 2007

Features: The main things you got to know (and probably already do) is that it is a super Strat type of guitar with two single coil pickups for the neck and middle, plus a humbucker for the bridge pickup. I don't want to mention too much of what has already been said, but it has a 25.5-inch scale bolt-on neck, agathis wood for the body, a lackluster tremolo bridge, a 5-way pickup selector (with no way to tap the humbucker). Some people say their GSA60 had locking tuners, but my 2005 model did not. Regarding accessories, I got a nice gig bag, boring nylon strap, good cable, some strings, and a 10watt Crate amp all for 300. To sum up the features: it's a beginner's electric guitar. With that in mind, it's got enough features. It could use a better bridge though. Also, as expected, the guitar does not stay in tune for long. // 9

Sound: My music preferences are all over the place. I like rock, reggae, some heavier rock (I like a lot of bands, but my favorites are 11 and Audioslave). I was able to get some decent sounds when I played songs from my favorite bands, but obviously it's harder to emulate Tom Morello's guitar-playing with a beginner's guitar. I hooked up the guitar to a 10watt Crate amp and I used FAB Overdrive and FAB Echo (both made by Danelectro) along with a Dunlop CryBaby Wah pedal. I couldn't really tell the difference between the middle and neck pickups (the 2 single coils), but the humbucker was extremely different. I noticed some other reviewers say otherwise, which confuses me. The humbucker in clean mode doesn't really suit my tastes. It just doesn't sound right. When using the humbucker, I turned up the Overdrive to get a significantly fuller sound with some crunch. The single coils sound pretty smooth while clean, unlike the humbucker. Keeping in mind that this is a beginner's guitar, the pickups aren't great so you don't get much crunch or raw fatness (even when using the humbucker). So hardcore metal is out of the question. Awesome jazz and blues will be lacking as well. Even so, there's some decent variety for a beginner: the clean single coils sound nice enough and the humbucker (with Overdrive) adds a good kick. That's the main reason why I wanted a guitar with an HSS pickup configuration when I first started playing. However, after a little over a year of casual playing (I'm "just" a hobbyist), I grew tired of the guitar's limitations, sonically-speaking. It's also quite annoying to have to retune this guitar so frequently. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I had trouble with the action when I changed to a set of low-gauge (.9) strings. The paint on the headstock did chip a little, but other than that, the guitar didn't scratch easily. I would say that out-of-the-box, it was decently set up (from a beginner's perspective), but still far from par. The main disappointment was the action being higher than I would have liked. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be a pretty bad choice for Live playing due to the tuning problems. But the strap buttons were good, the tuners never fell off, and all-in-all, a beginner will be fine practicing on this guitar. However, I did experiment with the tremolo bridge and its whammy bar. To my dismay, I broke one of the springs inside the body cavity. It's easy to replace, but it's still annoying and disappointing. // 7

Overall Impression: No, this is not a good guitar. It's made with cheap hardware and cheap wood. It's got cheap pickups and if you dare to use the whammy bar, expect detuning to occur. So why am I giving an Overall Impression score of 10? Because this guitar was only $200 (USD). It's made for beginners, and it's great for beginners. I tried out some other beginner guitars and they were substantially worse. This guitar's neck is friendly, the pickups are decent (until you grow tired of them), and the whole package is just a blast for a novice to have fun with. That's why it's still a success. If you want superb sound and quality, don't get the GSA60. If you want a great beginner guitar with good value, get the GSA60. // 10

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2007

Purchased from: GAK

Features: This guitar has 22 frets, and I think it was made in Indonesia. The neck is made of maple, and the fretboard rosewood. It is a solid top guitar and I think the body is maple. It comes in a variety of different finishes-black, trans blue and tobacco burst. It is the 'superstrat' style, which is basically a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position. The bridge style is a Standard tremolo, or I think a string-thru body. The elctronics are passive, and the controls are a 5-way switch, wolume and tone. Pickup config is (from neck to bridge) S-S-H, and I think they are Ibanez. I don't know much about the tuners, but they are non-locking. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits a variety of music styles perfectly, from slow love songs to heavy metal. I usually play rock/alternative etc, and it fills my requirements perfctly. The humbucker makes no noise when played, and I think the single coils give a small amount of hum. It is a rich and bright sound, when used with all configurations. You could play any style of music on this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My dad's friend, Who is a pro guitarist set this guitar up, but he said he only needed to raise the action slightly higher, which is simple by anyones standards. The Pickups were perfect, and I haven't adjusted them since. Everything was perfect. I haven't adjusted anything since I put 11-48 gauge strings on, and I added a spring to the tremolo. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played this Live several times-not to mention dropping it, and I only have one chip where you can see the wood, and that was because the venue had a nail head stucking out of the floor which it fell on. I dropped it twice at one gig, everything was fine, a small chip, but only the clear varnish finish, and it stayed in tune. I switched to locking tuners, even though the balane is perfect, just for reasurrance. I have used it without a backup every time! // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing 3-4 years now, and I haven't upgraded since. I run this through a beringher wah and into a Vox AD30VT. It is perfect for my style of music and many others. If it were stolen or lost, I would upgrade, but buy it again for old times sake! The finish was perfect, lovely and thick-so it seems so far. I have compared this to a Fender Strat, and I preferred my guitar! This may sound crazy, but it's true! I chose it because it's my guitar, nothing else would do (except maybe a Gibson Les Paul). // 10

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2007

Purchased from: Standard Value (Singapore)

Features: It is one if the newer ones, built rather recently. It was China-made. It has 22 medium frets on a NATO (top-grade mahogany neck) neck, and duh, is a solid-body guitar. The body is basswood, I think older GSA60s have Agathis bodies. The finish is Jewel Blue so it's a bit boring. It is a double-cutaway fat Strat design, with a floating bridge and Standard tremolo. It is a string-through body and has two stock single-coil pickups and a double-coil humbucker at the bridge, which gives it great versatility. Non-locking tuners. Hey, what do you expect? it's a Gio series, not an SA Prestige. // 8

Sound: I play mostly hard rock and metal, and sometimes alternative rock. This guitar really does it all and does it well. I use it with a Sound Drive SG-10 amplifier and it's a bit noisy because of the stock pick-ups and humbucker. If I change those to DiMarzio's which I will, this guitar's gonna be the ultimate. It can make a wide variety of sounds, even a somewhat 'Stratocaster' sound by activating the middle pickup only. But on humbucker, this guitar is really heavy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was incredibly accurate to my preferrence. They probably could read my mind. I could shred on it immediately! The pick-ups were perfect position, and there were no flaws I could see except for the poorly cut nut. Built in China. It's a gio. Even with that nut cut, if a China-made guitar can be so excellent, I'm going Ibanez and nothing else. The neck is rough with satin lacquer, but feels smooth and well-done. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not played it Live yet, but it is a very solid guitar. It can last better than plenty of expensive guitars. I know Ibanez is famous for exceptional quality at affordable prices, versatility, etc. Add solidness and durability to it. Seriously, I've seen Herman Li abuse his S Prestige guitars! Of course being a Gio, it's not as durable as the S Prestige but it's definitely really solid. No wear and tear yet. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is really versatile. I would have got a Strat but I would not have been able to play metal and hard rock. This guitar can do anything rock, but sadly, not versatile enough for clean stuff. If it were stolen or lost but I have a bigger budget, I would buy a higher-end guitar. But if I have just enough, I would buy the Ibanez GSA60 again. But I'll still have to upgrade the pickups. // 9

GSA60 Reviewed by: CauseyShop, on november 22, 2007

Features: I'm not sure when this model was made but I'm guessing 2003 in the US. It has a preety nice rosewood fingerboard and 23 medium size frets. The guitar feels great when playing nearly all types of music but playability could be increased if it was made of a maple neck. My finish is this (I think custom) natural wood color with a little yellow throughout. It features a 5-way tune selector, 2 single coils and a nice humbucker by the bridge that picks up greatly with harmonics. Overall it looks nice given the cost. Then only bad part is my intonation gave out in about 6 months. But other than that, it's features are good. // 8

Sound: I play nearly all types of music from blues and classic to Jimi Hendrix and John Mayer. It is fairly versatile when it comes to a rich tone. When you have lots of distortion when using the bridge, the harmonics are great. I use a Line six spider 3 amp which sounds good. I'm sure if I had a Marshall, it would be better but the Line 6 comes with installed effects. The best attribute to this guitar is probably the sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action to the guitar is ok. I got it re-adjusted shortly after getting it. All the knobs and pick-ups seem to be fine for 2 years of playing and the neck it still the way it was when I bought it. My guess is it will last for a long time with minimal repair. as of now I don't see any real damages that have been caused due to manufactures or natural problems. The finish and looks are fantastic. I've never seen my color of this model before but mine if a orangish natual wood color with a sweet gloss over it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far, this model is perfect for what I'm doing (small gigs and at-home playing). The guitar itself seems like it was beautifully crafted and could last a life-time. I see very little flaws and everything seems to be holding strong like the strap buttons and pick up. The finish to the body is great. After 3 years there is very few dents and scratches for a little of accidental bangs to the wall. // 10

Overall Impression: This model, like all Ibanez's, are best accompanied with powerful rock. Although it doesn't neccesarily sound bad when playing other types, older rock is best because os it's harmonic pickup and power tone. The guitar would be a great match with a Marshall or Fender amp. If anything, I would wish that the model had a different wood neck and a different pick up for the neck. I've only been playing for about 3 years but I would recommend this model to anyone who is just starting and doesn't want that damn Squier. // 9

GSA60 Reviewed by: TJM2482, on december 04, 2007

Features: It was made in 04/05. 22 medium frets. Agathis body, maple neck. Strat-esque body type. Vintage Strat-style bridge. Passive electronics. 5-way switch with volume and tone knobs. H/S/S pickups. Pretty versatile guitar feature-wise, good choice for a beginner looking to play it all. I wish it had better tuning stability with the bridge, or rather a tune-o-matic or string-thru system. // 8

Sound: This thing actually surprises me every time I pick it up. I'm using it with a Peavey XXX Super 40, and it sounds pretty good. It's less noisy than my S470, but it gets really noisy when using the single coils with any type of gain. Pretty versatile. On cleans, has a nice range of tones, the mid and neck pickups combine for an almost acoustic sound. I wish the singles were more quiet, and the bridge pickup a little brighter. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I was a novice when I bought the guitar, so I don't really remember. It has really nice action, super super low without any buzz. The guitar itself has good frets, everything was clean and working. No dead frets. The guitar itself is a dream to play. I usually learn new stuff on this guitar first. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've beat up this guitar immensely. A bunch of dings, scratches, chips, and it's still in good playing condition. I would depend on it for a live show, not like it's any different from standing in my room and playing it. I would recommend strap locks, just to be safe. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, with some classic rock and metal here and there. It does it fine. I've been playing for two years, and I prefer this axe over my S470 as a matter of fact. I have no regrets at all. If it were stolen, I would probably just put the money towards a higher end guitar. I love the not-to-bright bridge pickup, the low action, the non-locking bridge, the size of the body, and the smoothness of the neck. I dislike the noisy single coils and the tuning stability. // 9

GSA60 Reviewed by: vaimaster, on may 06, 2009

Purchased from: Craigslist.org

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made in but it was made in USA. It Has 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard. It's a solid top with Alder wood. It has a rare Orange finish that's a smooth Strat style. It has a basic Ibanez Tremolo bridge. It has Passive electronics.volume and Tone controls and a %-way selector Switch. The bridge pickup is a Ibanez stock pickup. The middle pickup and neck pickup are Ibanez single coil pickups. Non-locking tuners made by Ibanez. There was a gig bag and strap included with it. // 8

Sound: I play a style consisting mainly of 80s to 90s heavy metal and blues. Depending on the amp and effects you have it fit's that style. I'm using a First Act M2A110 amp with a Zoom G1 effects pedal with it and it sounds pretty good. It's a pretty loud guitar in general even acoustically. The guitar is really good with natural and pinch harmonics. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is not that bad but there is an indent in the 4th fret due to low action. The pickups were aligned without me needing to make any adjustments to them. The top was bookmatched very well and the bridge is ok not the best with routing. Also the pickup selector is a little noisy. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've played tons gigs with this axe so it's durable during them. The hardware has lasted me a while so far. The strap buttons work well unless you make them not work good. I completely depend on this guitar it's one I use during practice and gigs. The finish iis really great I've accidenally spilled liqiuds on it and nothing happened to it at all! // 9

Overall Impression: My heavy metal/blues style works really well with it. The guy I got it from on craigslist played a classic rock style so he gave it up to metal players because it has great distorion! I've been playing since December 15, 2007 but that doesn't matter because this guitar is great for beginner and advanced players. I also own a Drive Wildfire guitar, a Zoom G1 effects pedal, a First Act M2A110 amp, a Rogue SX100B bass and a Titn Xl-300 bass amp. If This Guitar were to be stolen or lost I would definitely buy another one if I could find one somewhere cheap like I did. I love evrything about it except the nick in the 4th fret I told about. My favorite feature is probably the clean neck since I do a lot of Malmsteen shredding. I didn't really compare with anything else because I was really desperate for a guitar at that point in time. A few things I wish it had would be a killswitch and an Ibanez Edga Pro Tremolo bridge and locking tuners. Overall it's a great guitar! // 8

GSA60 Reviewed by: TheLetheProject, on august 18, 2009

Purchased from: Jim's Music

Features: I'm not entirely sure when this guitar was made, but I'm guessing it was probably 2008. The Ibanez GSA60 is a 25.5" scale and has 22 medium frets. The fret board is rosewood; the neck is maple; the body is agathis. Personally, I don't like this neck. It's just too thin for my tastes. The bridge is floating, but there aren't any locking tuners, so you'll probably get out of tune easily if you extensively use the whammy bar. H-S-S design with passive pickups. One volume, one tone, 5-way blade Switch. I already had a gig bag, so I didn't buy any additional accesories. Overall, this guitar has a decent amount of features. // 8

Sound: I play a wide variety of music, from post-rock to metal to Indie. I play this guitar through a Peavey Vypyr 15W. I really don't like the pickups in this thing. The humbucker has a really thin sound. The single-coils have really weak highs and don't go well with distortion. I can get pinch harmonics if I try hard enough. The natural harmonics on this guitar are decent. Overall, I really don't like the sounds this guitar makes. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up okay at the factory. However, after putting on .010 gauge strings, the guitar has really gone out of wack. I had the guitar set up and there have still been a bunch of problems. Even though the action is not very low and the truss rod is properly adjusted, there is a bit of fret buzz once I play notes higher up on the neck, especially chords. The thing goes out of tune after a few uses of the whammy bar. The thing goes out of tune when palm-muting, but that's to be expected. Fortunately, there aren't any sharp edges on this frets or anything. However, this thing has been nothing but problems. // 5

Reliability & Durability: With or without using the whammy bar, this thing will go out of tune after playing for about thirty minutes or so. The hardware and strap buttons seem like they will last a while. I don't gig, but if I did, I'd buy a different guitar before doing so. I haven't had any problems with breaking strings on this guitar, except for the factory strings (it wasn't the guitars fault). I guess I could rely on this guitar, but the fact that it's set up terribly only means I'd have little to rely on. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the only Ibanez I've ever played, and based on it, it'll probably be my last for a while. The pickups are crap and the thing is just annoying to play. Despite my criticism, the Ibanez GSA60 is only a low-end guitar. However, I have played better guitars for around the same price, including a Squier Affinity Strat (only issue was the 1/4" jack) and an Epiphone Flying V. I'd advice you to stay away from this guitar. There are much better for the price. I'm probably going to sell this guitar and use the money to save up for a Schecter Traditional. // 5

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2010

Price paid: A$ 330

Purchased from: Turramurra Music

Features: -I think it was made in 2008 -Made in China -22 frets -Agathis body -'Midnight Black' finish -Standard Tremolo Bridge -Strat style body -Passive pickups -1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way selector -H-S-S pickup configuration. PSNDS pickups (made by Ibanez) -Non-locking tuners -Gig bag // 7

Sound: -I play classic rock, metal, blues. Bands like Metallica, AC/DC, etc. It seems to handle anything in standard tuning fine, but anything below that is a hassle to stay in tune. -I use a Peavey Rage 258 (25w), MI Audio Crunch Box distortion, EHX Memory Toy and a MXR MII6 Fullbore Metal. -There is fret buzz on the lower frets of the lower strings. Nothing on the high strings. The humbucker is decent. Rather full sound, can be crunchy with the right distortion. The neck pickup is nice and warm on clean settings. The middle pickup is clear but the combination settings (bridge + Middle, Middle + Neck) are a bit useless:S. It can do solos fine, can be metal-y with the fullbore, and does overdrive/low gain distortion fine as well. It is pretty varied. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the intonation was out rather badly and the action was really high. Being my 1st guitar I didn't know what to do. I took it to my local music shop (Carlingford) and they said the bridge was way too high. He lowered it, the intonation was fixed, the action was much better. The pickups were set up fine. The bridge as I said was too high, but easily fixed. Everything else was fine but the tuning pegs are a bit annoying. Just as it is about to be in tune, the pegs suddenly have no resistance and I end up tuning too far either way. Gentle control can avoid this. The volume and tone knobs were similar. They spun fine but when you get halfway, it suddenly becomes harder to turn them. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't perform live as of yet, but I personally would think it would stand live performances. The hardware is fine 1 year on. The strap buttons were a different story. The button closest to the neck came really loose after only a few months, but some glue and wood splits fixed that fine. Now they are really solid. I would bring a backup guitar but only because this thing cannot drop tune. It just doesn't want to stay in tune on lower tunings. The finish is fine apart from the fact that fingerprints are really noticeable being metallic black. // 7

Overall Impression: I play rock to metal and a bit of blues and it works for all except drop tune metal, which is pretty much all modern metal. I have being playing for one year and my amp is a Peavey Rage 258, My effects are: MI Audio Crunch Box, Electro Harmonix Memory Toy and MXR Fullbore Metal. I wish I had tried drop tuning it first, but maybe better tuners will help this. I would probably get this if it was stolen, but I might try some cheaper Jackson which I didn't compare it to. I love the neck, it is really nice. Smooth and comfortable. I don't hate anything about it, but better tuners would be nice and maybe a Floyd Rose would be suitable upgrades. I compared it to the Ibanez GRG170DX. I chose this because the neck is so much smoother and I preferred the neck pickup. I don't think I could expect better components for the price. But now it has gone up in price, maybe better tuners would be in order. // 7

GSA60 Reviewed by: Slashestranged, on march 04, 2010

Features: My Ibanez GSA60 was purchased in 2008 and was made in Korea. It's got 22 and a half frets, medium sized. It's solid top, made of agathis wood and the neck is rosewood. I have it in the plain blue finish although it is also available in black. The body style is that of the Ibanez S series but for those of you whose don't know that means a Strat type body with fat Strat pup configuration. The bridge is some Ibanez replica of a floyd rose. It has two Ibanez powersound single coils in the neck and middle position and an Ibanez powersound humbucker in the bridge postition. There are one volume knob and one tone knob and a 5 way pup switch. The tuners are by Ibanez and are just Standard tuners. // 10

Sound: I play all sorts of music but my favorites are punk rock like Guns N' Roses and classic rock like AC/DC or Led Zeppelin. It suits all styles well as do all entry level guitars do. I run in through my 80 watt Rocktron Rampage rt80 amplifier and it sounds decent. It's not noisy on any settings but the sound is pretty much the same on all pickups settings although on bridge only it's slightly brighter. There isn't much variety. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great! When I took it to Guitar Center for various reasons, like classes or to test amps, whenever I let a guitar center employee play it they tell me about how great the action is. The pups were fine too. Their were no factory flaws. The pups produce a very nice sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is the killer. It will withstand live playing. The hardware will not last. One of the bridge saddles got sharp but lucky for me that that's a cheap fix. The input jack broke about six months after buying it. You definitely should not gig with this without a backup! The finish will last. // 4

Overall Impression: It matches any style of playing, but that's what entry level guitars are meant to do. I've played for about two years, I own a Peavey Raptor Plus as my backup guitar then my Rocktron Rampage RT80 amp. If I lost it I would buy a different guitar but that's because this was my first one. I love the sound from the pups, I hate the durability. I wish it had an HH conguration instead of fat-strat. Action fit and finish were great. // 7

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 20, 2010

Price paid: € 209

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: Made in Japan, 22 frets, its a fat strat(1hb, 2sc). It has 1 vol.control and 1 for the tone. When you buy this guitar you get a bag, a vibrato(its not good), a cable and a good guitar-belt. The strings on the guitar, when you buy it are from D'Addario. For that price; good. // 8

Sound: It fits in every style, with my Roland Cube 30X Amp, that is very versatile, I can get every style out of it: Funk, Blues, Chords, Rock, Heavy Metal... The sond is very versatile(its great to fool around with effects) but especially on the neck pick-ups, the sound isn't so bright. But for that price YOU CAN'T EXPECT MORE. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Here I would give 6,5 pints, because in Japan they don't make the best quality guitars. The tone controller gets stuck when I turn it fully around, and in the back, the metal thing makes a noise when I play because of the resonance, so I put a piece of wood in there. I yu would open the guitar you would see much of bad, dirty wood and glue. But the Pick-ups, and the hardware on the "surface" of the guitar are good, and it looks really sweet and noble. So for the price, this is acceptable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I didn't gig with that guitar, but I would. I think maybe something would break in a while, but the good thing is, on such a guitar you can repair everything. And the body and neck construction looks very massive and stable. So again, you shouldn't complain for this price. // 7

Overall Impression: So all in all this guitar looks nice and fits in at any style of music. For beginners or amateurs PERFECT, for pros that guitar would maybe be good for messing around with it. I am happy that I bought that guitar and If the guitar would be stolen, I would save money and buy maybe a fender, because now I am a little bit more advanced than I was when I bought it. I loved that a could play everything on this guitar, and everything sounded GREAT. I hated nothing, but I disliked, that the quality of the interior was sh*tty. Comparing to other cheap guitars, the Ibanez GSA60 is a little bit over the average. The only thing I would wish the guitar had, is a better quality in the interior and on the controls. When you are a beginner, that looks for a cheap but good guitar, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT! // 8

GSA60 Reviewed by: Markor95, on february 07, 2011

Price paid: € 209

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: Made in Japan, 22 frets, its a fat strat(1hb, 2sc). It has 1 vol.control and 1 for the tone. When you buy this guitar you get a bag, a vibrato(its not good), a cable and a good guitar-belt. The strings on the guitar when you buy it are from D'Addario. For that price; good. // 8

GSA60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2011

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia, unsure of the year. It has 22 medium frets on a maple neck. The body is a classic strat. It has a tone, volume and a 5-way selector. It has PSNDS in neck and middle position with PSND2 in the Bridge position. The finish was blue which is pretty bad because fingerprints show up easily. // 7

Sound: I play this guitar at least 2 hours a day, and although it was second hand it has stayed in pretty good condition. I mainly play alternative rock and punk such as Muse and Green Day. This guitar works pretty well with these styles. I've only just started learning guitar so I have an Orange Crush amp at home, and it sounds awful. The pickups do not give this justice, but when I'm at my lesson I play on a Fender Mustang II, and it sounds a lot better. I mainly use the Bridge pu and that can sometimes make the guitar be a bit noisy, other than that it sounds pretty goos with many different styles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As this was second hand it did have its problems. First of all the body the chipped in the corner, which is highly noticable. The Tone control sometimes comes loose if you turn it too strongly, and the Bridge pickup is slightly wobbly. But for a beginner like me it is pretty good if you use the right strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never played this song live, and I honestly don't think it could handle it. Apart from the previously mentioned hardware, the rest is pretty good, and the strap locks are tight on. If you were to gig this you would probably have to bring a backup. Possibly a guitar with a better range of sound. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar seems like it should just be a beginners guitar. It is pretty heavy, so long times playing would be difficult, but I seem to have a strange bond with this guitar, being my first and all. Although, if it were stolen or lost I would not buy it again. After learning I really want to play heavy metal so I would probably get a Randy Rhoads. // 8

GSA60 Reviewed by: MetallicSka, on june 21, 2011

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Music Pro

Features: Made in Indonesia. 23 frets. Rosewood. Red glossy finish. Passive electronics. Volume knob, 5 way pickup selector, tone knob. HSS pickup configuration. // 8

Sound: I play mainly funk rock, metal, and metalcore. (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billy Talent, Rage Against The Machine, Asking Alexandria). It suits the metal moreso than the funk rock. The Bridge pickup has a pretty gnarly tone for metal, very crunchy, might be a little trebly for some though. It's middle pickup has a scooped mid type of sound, I like it. It's hard to get a nice percussive sound on this though (String muting). I run it through a Peavey Vypyr 15watt amp. I have a BOSS DS-1 Distortion pedal, but I don't really need it for this. Nice and quiet when not playing, has a trebely scooped sound. Nice and bright, but can be made to sound richer with a little tweaking. Nice pinch harmonics on this thing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was basically perfect, low action, stays in tune, etc. No flaws I could find. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Have not played live with this yet, but it feels nice and sturdy. Hardware feels great. Strap buttons are secure. I would use this at a gig without a backup no problem. The finish on the guitar is nice, but it loves fingerprints. Nothing a good wipedown can't fix though. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm glad I purchased this guitar, at this pricerange it was a pretty good balance between funk-metal and metalcore. I have been playing for about 3 years on the electric, 4 on the classical. Been playing bass for a month. I owned some Kirk Hammet entry level guitar before this. If this was lost or stolen I would probably look around more, there was not a lot of variety in the music stores I visited. I love the finish, the general look, and the neck feels beautiful. I hate how it is a fingerprint magnet. I compared this to the GAX160 (I think that was the guitar, around the same price range). I liked the tone on this one better. Overall I recommend this to guitarists taking a step up from entry level gear. I love it. // 8

GSA60 Reviewed by: calumxD, on january 12, 2012

Features: My GSA is blue with a GSA maple neck and medium frets and an agathis body, it has a sat10 bridge a PSND2 humbucker at the bridge and PSNDS's in the neck and middle positions, you get a volume, tone and 3 way Strat style selector switch. Pretty basic stuff but for the money you don't expect everything. But I will say there isn't a lot of give in the tremolo when bending upwards using it there is very little room for a big bend. // 6

Sound: Now I play a lot of alternative rock, light metal e.g. Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, BVB, Metallica and BFMV and this guitar is fantastic!, I get a great high end tone from the humbucker which is versatile as hell, the neck pickup gives me a great Strat style clean tone which sounds very springy, and the middle pickup I use when playing intro's or solo's. I play this through either IK Multimedia's amplitube, or my Kustom amp and Behringer V-amp and it is phenomenal it will play anything you through at it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was preowned when I bought it but the guy hadn't adjusted anything and I've left it that way, the action is just right, I can bend it with very little effort and the pickups pick the sound up great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would happily throw this guitar from a roof and still have Faith in it, as long as I was playing standing up, when sitting down if the lead plug digs into a couch or something then it will make a horribly buzzy noise similar to if you had it unplugged but this causes very few problems. // 9

Overall Impression: For 80 the best guitar in the world ever, will play anything you can dream of and would not let you down, worth the money ten times over, if it was stolen I'd find the guy who took it and use it too beat him into the ground, it wouldn't matter cause it would still work. I compared it to other HSS guitars such as Pacificas, a Jackson Dinky and other Ibanez's and I just happened to find this one cheap. You are missing out not owning one. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014