Iceman IC200 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 12/26/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Iceman IC200
It has 22 frets, mahogany body, sunburst finish, Ibanez Full Tune III bridge and Quik Change III tailpiece, Infinity 3 and 4 pickups (H/H), one volume knob, one tone knob, Ibanez non-locking tuners.
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
reviews (2) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Iceman IC200 Reviewed by: Tedward, on october 12, 2006

Purchased from: Axemusic.com

Features: I don't know what year this guitar was made in but it has 22 frets, mahogany body, sunburst finish, Ibanez Full Tune III bridge and Quik Change III tailpiece, Infinity 3 and 4 pickups (H/H), one volume knob, one tone knob, Ibanez non-locking tuners. It came with a cable, and a allen key. I don't like how it only has one volume knob and one tone knob, because I can't pull of those Tom Morello and Buckethead pickup cut out solos and such, but otherwise it is regular features. // 9

Sound: It suits my style pretty well, I play a lot of System Of A Down, Megadeth, pretty much all types of rock. I'm using it with a Kustom KGA10 10 watt amp, and this guitar really matches it for the SOAD tone. I sometimes run it through a Jim Dunlop Crybaby, and it sounds pretty good, but like most guitars it get noisier with high gain and the toe up. With this guitar I can get a really full sounding power chords, on neck and both pickup setting. With the bridge pickup on I can get a really nice lead sound, great for those Megadeth solos and System tone. I actually like to play around with solos on the neck pickup though, because it gives a really neat digital tone, kind of like Protest The Heros lead guitarist. I give it a 9 because it probably can't compare to a Gibson, but it gets the job done well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was pretty good when it arrived, but I raised the action a little (which was really easy) because it had annoying fret buzz, mostly on the low E and A string, but there was some buzz on the high E, only on the first fret. That was the most dissapointing thing about this guitar. Otherwise the guitar came to me in perfect condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this guitar for about a month and a half, but it seems like it will hold up for a very long time. The first day I had this guitar I dropped and I thought for sure that the lower horn thing would snap off, but not even a scratch. The headstock and the finish have so far lasted really good, even though I am always bumping into things. I don't like how the strap buttons are placed; there is one behind the neck and one underneath the little tail thing. The buttons themselves are good, but my strap twists and so I have to be careful that I don't drop the guitar until I get myself some straplocks. The finish will definitely last a long time. I could easily depend on this guitar at a gig without a backup, but it is probably not a good idea to do that. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches the music I play very good. I have been playing since December 2005 and I own a Kustom KGA10, a Crybaby, and a Barricuda Stratocaster copy. I wish I had had a chance to try this guitar before I bought it but overall I think I made a good choice buying it, especially since it only cost me 270 CDN. I really only bought this guitar because of its looks, but the sound and quality of this guitar amazed me. It may be short on features, but it certainly is a great guitar. If this were stolen I probably wouldn't buy this guitar again, only because I would want something knew, I would probably go for a IC400, or an Epiphone SG. Overall a great guitar. // 10

Iceman IC200 Reviewed by: kombucha_man, on december 26, 2006

Features: Made in 2004 in Korea with 22 Jumbo frets on a 24.75" scale smooth and fast maple neck with a long roomy headstock with 3 tuners on ither side.It has a large mahogany body with a transparent sunburst finish. The body style is very unique and unmistakeable, nothing els looks like an Iceman. The bridge is Ibanez's version of the Tune-O-Matic but instead of the strings going through it they drop in from the top and are secured with a dogleg groove at the bottom of each slot. With passive electronics, 1 volume contol, 1 tone control and a 3-way selector on the upper part of the body this guitar is layed out very well. Comes with 2 Ibanez AH humbucking pickups. It has small non-locking tuners that are very acurate. // 9

Sound: I play mostly thrash metal and this guitar suits it very well. I play ith through a DigiTech 300 and a amp that's brand is a complete mystery to me but it has 2 8" speakers and sounds great with this guitar. On a clean setting this guitar musky sound when using the neck pickup and quite bright when using the bridge pickup, very well balanced sound when using both. Distorted this guitar can rock your socks off that's all I have to say about that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar from the factory it was set up nearly perfect. All I did was lower the action a little bit and it plays beautifully now. The pickups were adjusted just right and I couldn't find a single flaw on this baby even if I had looked with a magnifying glass. After a year of playing it the strap buttons got a little loose but a quick tighten with a Philips screwdriver and she was good to go for a long time more. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live but this guitar would defineatly withstand live playing. The chrome hardware seems like it would last forever. The strap buttons are medium sized and my strap never comes off of them but strap locks are always a good idea. You could depend on this guitar without a backup but that's never a good idea. I have a chip or two in my guitar now (had it since 2004) and I can tell from looking at the chips that the finish is very thick and would take a long time to wear down if it were even posible to do so. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing thrash metal this guitar seems perfect for me, I wanted the IC400 but didn't have the funds at the time. I have played guitar for 9 Years but only evry day for the last 6. I also own a Yamaki acustic and a 71 or 72 Fender Strat, Ibanez TB15 practice amp and my larger amp that I don't have a clue about what brand it is. I play through my DigiTech RP300 and also have an origional Dunlop Cry Baby pedal. I bought this guitar because I fell in love with the shape after seeing it played by Paul Stanley, Daron Malakian and the guitarist from White Zombie. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014