Iceman IC300 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/14/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Iceman IC300
With 2 Axis humbuckers and a Full Tune II bridge, it's capable of doing serious sonic damage.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
reviews (5) 34 comments vote for this gear:
Iceman IC300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2004

Features: Made in USA - 2 medium frets - One volume, one tone control - Ibanez AH1 (H) neck pickup - Ibanez AH2 (H) bridge pickup - Mahogany - 3pc. maple neck material - Bound rosewood fingerboard - BR-EG Bridge - Ibanez tuners // 10

Sound: The IC300 is a very "heavy" sound, perfect for metal / heavy metal / contemporary metal. This suits my style perfectly. I am using it with a Marshall 30DFX amp (excellent gain and clean tones). It has a clear heavy sound, with excellent, warm lows and sweet sustain. The IC300 has excellent variety, and can create the heaviest sounding power chords known to man, whilst creating killer solos too. The guitar is excellent to hold, with a very comfortable strapline. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well from the start, and the action is excellent, i have not needed to alter it at all as of yet. The pickups are adjusted almost perfectly. I have not needed to alter the pickups whatsoever. The body is perfect, and looks stunning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is excellently suited to live playing, so dont worry about it tripping out on you, it is very reliable. The hardware is also of very good quality. The chrome hardware will last forever if it is treated well. The finish is good enough to last. But, the strap buttons will come loose if the guitar is thrashed about too much (I learned the hard way). Overalll, it is very, very reliable and would certainly use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play contemporary metal, this guitar suits it perfectly. I've been playing for a year or so, with no problems. I play the IC300 with a Marshall amp, Marshall stacks, etc. If this guitar broke, or was stolen, I wouldn't consider buying another guitar, I would go straight back to the iceman. I do not believe that there is anything whatsoever about this guitar that is a negative. If it is treated right, then it will last forever. And play superbly. // 10

Iceman IC300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2005

Purchased from: friend

Features: My bandmate bought this guitar a year ago when we played together in a band, and I've loved it ever since. To shorten the story up, the band broke up, he became a blus player, bought a semi-hollow and has been trying to sell this wonderfull guitar. He claimed it sounded too heavy. The guitar has a mahogany body, for warm tones, chrome harware, natural sunburst finish, and a a bolt on neck. A fitted hardshell case sosts $130 more. // 8

Sound: The tone is wonderfull, it fits my style perfectly. I'm in a screamo/thrash band (think Dillenger Escape Plan meets Hawthorne Heights and Shadows Fall) and the tone distorts really well. The mahogany body gives it a warm tone, and the AH 1 and 2 pickups refine that sound into something very versatile. When distorted, the pickups have a very defined, cutting tone, and clean they have a very punchy feel to them. The bridge pickup is perfect for rock or metal styled music, with lots of lows, a little midrange punch, and lots of sizzling highs. The bridge is not muddy in the least. Both pickups are very quiet. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how the guitar was set up from the factory. I do know that the action can be set very low without fret buzz. My friend thought he had the action low, but when he saw what I had done with it he said "I didn't know any guitar could have action that low." The intonation is also very very good. My only complaint is that the strap button located on the back, in between the neck bolts, was set too far down, causing it too point straight down when you let go of it. On the other hand, this lets you play the guitar at any angle, I slung down my strap and even played it straight up once. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far, between me and him, it has only been damaged onceit's built like a tank. The one thing that did damage it was a 3-5 foot fall straight down onto the neck, causing a small crack (1-2 inches) going up behind the first fret. The crack isn't even all that deep. This guitar would definitely withstand live playing. The strap buttons are small, the look like they were made to be replaced with strap locks, which I have not done yet. Surprisingly though, it has not fell off of the strap yet, and that's something with the way I act when I play. I would use this guitar without a backup any day. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar fits my body perfectly, another plus. I run this guitar through different amp modelers (PODs and V-AMPs) and old tube amps, and the tone is crushing. I've been playing for over a year (yeah I know what you're thinking, but trust me, I know my stuff, my entire life is guitar) and this is by far the best guitar I've owned, and I've owned many. I usually wind up Trading Y guitars for other guitars from friends, or local bands, but this one's a keeper. In tone and reliability I would compare this to a Gibson Explorer, or SG, it just has that wild, yet solid tone. My only complaint is I wish the toggle Switch was on the lower part, near the volume, I always hit the swith, and I don't want to tape it and possibly mark the finish. If stolen I would either buy this guitar, or save up some more money and buy the IC400 with the set-in neck. // 8

Iceman IC300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Features: I bought this guitar early this year pretty much just before they started making it with the infinity pick-ups. It's not the 300 it the 200 but I don't see a difference between them. I'm not sure what type of body it has but it has a bolt on neck and has 1 volume and 1 tone knob. It came with 2 power sound pickups but I replaced them with a set of EMGs, I put an 85 at the neck and an 81 at the bridge and it screams. It came with a cheap cable, its only like a foot long. I use it for tuning, other than that all it came with was the guitar but that all I needed. // 10

Sound: I play lots of different types of music. I prefer metal and like punk. The sound when I got it was pretty good, the power sound pickups it came with were pretty powerful. I changed them out for a set of emgs and it sound just amazing a true monster. I play mainly through a 15 watt Marshall amp but everyonce in a while I play through a 120 watt Crate amp and it just sounds amazing. I really haven't gotten to let it loose with the EMGs in it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up when I got the guitar was almost perfect, the strigs were pretty high, quality and the pick-ups were set-up pretty well. I'm not sure if it was the guitar or the cable I use but the sound would go in and out. The neck is comfortable you can barely tell it's a bolt on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've giged with it before and it held up just fine. I've changed the pickups since the last show but the set up probably would have lasted for quite a while. The strap button seemed like an odd position going from a Strat to this guitar. It's on the back of the guitar but I've gotten used to it and since I've had I haven't droped it once. The paint job is pretty nice but it makes finger prints and any dust on the guitar stick out like a sore thumb but I guess I can't expect anymore from a black guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: When I went to find a new guitar I originally wanted a BC Rich 'cause of the kick ass body but when I saw Daron Malakian (the guitarest from System Of A Down) playing one I loved the body and I finnally got to play one. I was stunned I bought it a week later and it's treated me well ever since it's made my playing much better and I think it sounds as good or better than and Les Paul or SG that I've played. Overall the best guitar I've ever played. // 10

Iceman IC300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 25, 2008

Purchased from: Back Alley Music, Mold

Features: Here are them: - 2 medium frets - One volume, one tone control - Ibanez AH1 (H) neck pickup - Ibanez AH2 (H) bridge pickup - Mahogany - 3pc. maple neck material - Bound rosewood fingerboard - BR-EG Bridge - Ibanez tuners The neck was brilliant, and Ultra slidey thanks to the maple! Due to the wood of the body it was unusually easy to gain really really heavy sounds when the neck pickup was selected, which suited my style and taste considerably. The medium frets where flawless, not a single buzz or note out slightly out of tone, however I haven't grown fond to these now as lately I've found my preference lies with wider frets. The hardware supplied was good, I liked the quick re-stringing thingy included, made it easier to change strings quicker. I didn't really like the tuners supplied, after a few re-strings and a couple of months carnage the Guitar hardly ever stayed in tune on a warm up, however after a few tunings the Guitar finally corrected itself and was in tune for quite a while. Although I won't knock any points off for this as it could have been my stringing technique. I would have prefered the hardware to be in either gold or black instead of the cheap silver look of the hardware that came with it, however that's only my own opinion and I'm sure it would atleast appeal to some people. Everything came fine, the pickups where correctly adjusted and the only thing my Guitar tech had to change was the action. The only draw-back I have found on this Guitar is that it is incredibly easy for some weird reason to 'accidentally' knock the pickup selector, especially during a drunk performance. On my first encounter of this happening my pickup selector snapped, which I wasn't really happy about since I had the Guitar for around four weeks. Once it was replaced it has failed to snap, so remember to be carefull with that! // 8

Sound: I use to play mainly metal (Anthrax, Testament, Municipal Waste, As I Lay Dying, TBDM, Between The Buried And Me, etc) but due to my time being a session musician, it became a very common apperance during blues and jazz sets, and various other styles of music! And with the right amplifier, this Guitar can produce almost any tone you want it too! I deffinately recommend it for playing blues, however due to the stock pickups it doesn't handle jazz very well, making it hard to distinguish single notes from chords when playing anything I.e. Ella Fitzgerald. I would recommend changing the pickups to your musical taste if your that picky on sound, but the AH's should comfort almost any Guitarists needs that's doesn't have the money to do so (like myself! ) I've tried my friends EMG81 and 85 in this Guitar and oh my, they don't have scare the hell out of me! When the pickups are replaced this Guitar sounds almost like it's worth 1.000 more. The stock pickups make it sound like Ibanez's own Epiphone, but I'm guessing Ibanez expected people to make their own alterations to this beast, and spent more money elsewhere. Note: Do not use this Guitar through any Marshall MG series, I made the mistake of buying it and putting it through my MG30DFX, those amps really don't do justice for any guitars, I thought it would sound a lot better than it did, but upon recieving my AVT Halfstack, it really has domminated even my Gibson SG. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said earlier, I lowered the action, the pickups where in the right position and everyhing else was spot on! (I'm not sure if Ibanez still had the after-factory setup or if the shop actually set it up) The black and white binding looked realy nice and was of high quality, apart from when closer inspection is aquired; you can see pick scratches which aren't noticeable from a distance. I also replaced the tone and volume pot on this Guitar, not because they where bad but because I thought they'd look better on a Jackson and vice versa. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this Guitar Live on more than 50 occasions, and played the living **** out of it! I've dropped it, had it stood on, thrown it out of a window, thrown it at amps, everything you can think of and it has like 5-6 dents in it?! Pure amazing! The only thing that ever goes wrong with it is the flipping screws int he pickup selector keep coming out, and the fact that my neck needs adjusting again.. that's my fault though! Strap locks are an essential for this Guitar, but the buttons have never come off before, which is good! I could deffinately depend on this Guitar, and it's only ever given out on me once during a Live show because of the lead connection part thingy, however that was my fault because I'm a careless ogre when it comes to lead insertion, if I treated it the same as a vagina then it would still be heavenly! I always use backups, so I wouldn't depend on it in that aspect or more like I wouldn't need to, but this Guitar is currently my backup Guitar after aquiring a Kramer, and an SL3, and I sometimes use it for the fun of it anyway! // 9

Overall Impression: If it was stolen, I'd buy a Jackson. I don't think I could get it replaced on the warranty as I've played it out. It's light is still burning and it will never fade out! It's always going to be a Guitar I will personaly look back on owning and have very good memories of. It has served me well and I'd be distraught if it wasn't with me anymore! Ofcourse if it had Jumbo Frets and a Ffloyd Rose, I wouldn't consider buying a different guitar! My love for this guitar is deffinately the way you can make it have it's own personality, I've called mine Cindy! I've always liked the ability to pick it up and never want to put it down, however every Guitar gets to that stage, but it still makes me want to play it! I hate the silver hardware, with a passion! I'd kill Ibanez to make them stop using silver, I also dislike Dot inlays, but oh well.. ! I'd still recommend this guitar to anyone! // 8

Iceman IC300 Reviewed by: Joelieo, on january 14, 2009

Purchased from: Rimmers Music

Features: The guitar was made in Korea however not too sure what year this was made but I bought it in 05, It has 22 frets of which are very nice, the fretboard is rosewood I think and the body is basswood. It's a black finish with a creme binding round the neck and the body. The tune-o-matic bridge on it is brilliant, stays perfectly in tune no matter what the tuning or string gauge, I've had everything from 14's to 9's on this and it performs brilliantly with the lot. The pickups are passive as Standard and are actually pretty damn good, I swapped them out for a swineshead Xbucker and a Seymour Duncan Invader eventually but they were by no means a hinderance. There is a single volume knob and a tone knob, and a les paul style Switch. After 3 years my pots got crackly and a bit touch and go, so I had to replace them. Also the Switch is very hard to wire new pickups to, it's very much enclosed which makes soldering fiddly to say the least. The tuners are non-locking and as far as I know they are Ibanez ones, but once again they most defininately perform! // 9

Sound: I play metal mainly, however I am a professional musician so I am required to play a plethora of different styles and the Iceman nails them all. Of my 4 guitars this one is and always has been my favorite, and I'm pretty confident it always will be. I use it with a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 with a Celestian Vintage speaker in it and a Boss NS-2, GE-7 and Ibanez DE-7 in the effects loop. This setup is not noisy at all, it sounds a little bit muddy when I drop tune to anything below C and play very chunky stuff, but that's to be expected really as British gain wasn't ever really meant for that. I use a variety of different settings on my amp depending on what style I'm playing, but for metal I use a slight mid scoop on the amps on board EQ, then a fairly large mid scoop on my Boss GE-7 running through the FX loop. I use the delay pedal to thicken the tone slightly, mainly for solo's... so just a short discreet delay setting. The setup does most definitely sound very very full, yet bright. I have to say that it doesn't sound anything like as good as it does with my Iceman with another guitar. Overall it is very versatile, and it is break away from the grain really because most versatile guitars do lots of things but to an average kind of Standard. This guitar however does everything, to a very high Standard! I am very, very impressed indeed! The only sound you can't really get out of this thing is twangy single coil tone, but perhaps that could be fixed by splitting the coils with the correct knowhow, I'm not sure. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup poorly when I bought it, however I suspect that it was more Rimmers doing than the factory as they set the guitars up in house before they go on display. Needless to say they are an absolute rubbish shop and don't seem to have the foggiest what they're talking about most of the time. I set it up myself personally when I bought it though, plays like a dream now! The action is very, very low and smooth. The neck is a wizard 2, which is the kind that is on most of the RG series, a shredders neck to be honest. However that's just how I like it. If only it wasn't bolt on. The pickups were fairly recessed when I bought it and it dulled the tone a little, nothing a screwdriver can't fix. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've lost count of the amount of gigs I've played with this guitar, I always play with a backup as a rule, because with my luck the one time I didn't something would go wrong. However this guitar is built like a truck, it has it's dings and bumps/scratches but doesn't every guitar that's been through the works? It's lasted 4 years so far, and many more to come I suspect! I replaced the strap buttons with detachable ones a month or so after I bought it because they were a little to small to give me peace of mind. Not a bit of the finish has worn off for me on this guitar, it is flawless and doesn't scratch easily either. The only bits it has come off on is the bottom curl, and where it's received heavy knocks. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 6 years or so at the moment, I own an Ibanez RG, a Dean Far Beyond Driven ML and a Jackson King V. Of all my guitars, as said this one is my favorite; by far! If this was stolen, lost or unfixable damaged somehow I would actually hunt this another one of this guitar down un-relentlessly. I believe everyone has their match guitar wise, and I believe the Iceman 300 is mine. I love the shape, I love the feel and the sound... Hell I love everything about this guitar, every little thing near enough. If I was to pick one feature that is my favorite I would probably say the unique appearance of the guitar would be it. I tried many, many different guitars to suit my needs of versatility before I purchased this one, I didn't have much experience at the time but I think I definitely made the right choice! If there was one thing I personally wish it had it would probably be a set neck construction or neck thru construction but with the same neck profile, as the newer Iceman's necks just simply aren't as comfortable as the 300's in my solemn opinion. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014