Iceman ICT700 Review

9.5
reviews (9) 41 comments vote for this gear:
Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: The evolution of the Iceman, one of the most iconic rock guitars ever, continues. The ICT700 guitar has a reverse headstock, DiMarzio D Activator pickups and a 5-piece Wizard II thru-neck, making this Iceman the most chilling yet. // 8

Sound: I play heavy metal & punk. I play Slayer, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses, etc. I use a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt amp, and it sounds great with the guitar. As for the guitar's sound, it is very powerful even though it has passive pickups. The bridge pickup is great for solos/shredding, and the bridge pickup is massive and not muddy at all. It sounds great clean or distorted. Pinch harmonics are very easy to make on this guitar once you figure out what angle to hit the strings at. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well at the store, but the strings were horrible. The action was fine. The pickups were a little low. The fingerboard on my guitar has some scratches and the edges of the guitar (white trim) seems very cheap. The trim at the top peels off easily. I got mine in the Black finish, it is very shiny. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have not played this guitar Live, but I am sure it can withstand Live playing. The hardware seems like it will last. The strap buttons look very cheap. Look and feel like plastic, which isn't good. I can depend on this guitar, but I would never only bring 1 guitar to a gig. The body's finish is good enough to last, but it does scratch easily, and fingerprints show easily. The trim seems it will peel off easy over time. that's the biggest flaw. // 7

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, this guitar is a perfect match for it. I've been playing a year now, and I own an Epiphone G400. The Iceman blows it away so much that I don't even want to see the Epiphone anymore. If it were stolen, I would buy it again. I love the body shape the most. It is one of a kind. I hate the cheap trim, and the scratches on the fingerboard. My favorite feature is the shape and the pickups. I wish it came with a pickguard. // 9

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: pat875a5, on october 25, 2011

Price paid: € 750

Purchased from: Music Shop

Features: Made in Indonesia, don't know the year (purchased in 2011). Five pieces Wizard III Maple/Walnut neck-thru with titanium reinforcement, 24 Jumbo frets, Gibraltar custom (fixed) bridge, string-thru solid body, DiMarzio D-Activator (passive) pickups, one volume and one tone controls, 3-way pickup selector (neck, both, bridge), dedicated guitar case. I switched the default pot-knobs (without numbers) for the Gibson Speed knobs (beautiful, with numbers) and this baby now has no weaknesses. By the way, you may want to take some Yoga courses to overcome your weakness: this guitar is very heavy! // 10

Sound: I play pretty dry (no effects) through a full valve Marshall JCM 2000 (50W) and a Marshall 4x12 Vintage Cab. I play different type of music, from very soft (jazzy, Eva Cassidy like) to really heavy (but not metal-core like). The Neck pickup is very warm, extremely good sounding (to me), perfect for Jazz and Lead, clean and distorted. The Bridge pickup is bright, good for bright distorted rhythm, harmonics friendly. Overall, the guitar is very bassy (which can be good of course), so may want to play with the tone and volume controls to get the wanted sound. The humbuckers are not single coils: do not expect the instrument to sound like a Vintage Strat, although it is actually possible to get that funky sound with the help of an equalizer (I use a parametric one) and the volume turned down. The sound definitely gets a 10. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfectly set up. I like higher action, so I tweaked it a bit. Pickups needed Adjustment. With my setup, the neck pickup (despite the electronic specifications) is a lot louder than the bridge one, so my neck humbucker is way down and the bridge one closer to the strings: this way there is no unwanted volume difference, plus the neck pickup is not in the way when you pick, plus clean sounds on the neck pickup are really clean and loud (perfect if you ask me). The only thing are those edge stripes (bindings). If you look very closely, you will notice that they are not perfect. I've seed better ones. So this is not a miss-best-finish-guitar of the world. On the other hand, every played guitar get scratches (from nails etc), so this is not an issue for me. The guitar is very shiny. 9 because of the bindings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand anything you want (except burning smashing etc, you know what I mean). The Hardware is solid. Strap buttons are very solid, but beware: by design, there is a bad angle for the button at the neck. You have (!) to get the locking strap button, if you don't want your guitar to fall. I trust this guitar. 9 because of the wrong strap button placement. // 9

Overall Impression: I play soft and heavy music. I use no effects at the moment (only a wah and eventually an equalizer. The distirtion comes from the amp. I get most of the sounds I want just by playing with the tone and the volume knobs. This guitar is just what I was looking for. Nice sounding, solid build, fantastic looking! If it where stolen or lost, I would not be happy at all (and would have to buy it again)! // 10

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: Danizgod, on january 06, 2009

Features: The Iceman ICT700, made in 08, in Indonesia (=[), with 24 frets. It has a glossy black finish, I believe it's maple wood, it's a cutaway with the Iceman body (how ironic)with a neck thru body and a string thru bridge, the Dimarrizo pickups are passive, they sound like active ones though, without the hassle.There is one volume and tone knob with a three way selector. Neck and bridge Dimarrizo pick ups with non locking tuners. It came with a hard shell case, a generic one though that didn't have the specific case for the unique body, which is why I gave it a 9, it fits weird in the case. // 9

Sound: It is amazing for metal, and with the right settings it pretty much plays anything, I play on a Vox Valvetronics amp, which is a model amp, and when I play on a cleaner sounding amp, it still has great tone. Honestly this guitar sounds great no matter what setting your amp is on, any style of music can be played on this, but specifically hard rock and metal, because of the thru, slidy neck, it's so easy to play fast. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There were no flaws when I received this guitar, but I couldn't tell you about the factory default strap buttons because I put strap locks on right away and I haven't had a problem with it yet. Like I stated earlier, it was made in Indonesia, which is infamous for cheap paint and terrible finishes around where the neck and body meet, but I am examining the entire guitar right now and I see no paint flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing, no dought, I would even bring it as a single guitar for a gig, the hardware is solid, the finish seams fine to me, not wearing easily the strap buttons have strap locks on them that make it seem like they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and the paint hasn't chipped yet, only it is easy to get noticeable fingerprints all over it, but that is because of the glossy black, and those Who choose the color know the consequences. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, and this is perfect. I've been playing this guitar only for about two weeks, and it hasn't gotten old yet =], but I have been playing on and off for about 2 years, but the last year, I have been playing a lot, the only thing I wanted different at first was the white finish instead of the black finish, but I'm not complaining, I even am starting to like the black finish more because of this creamy outline it has around the entire guitar and neck. I love the neck, that is my favorite, the thing I hate is that it always pulls to the left, not a major problem, I love how heavy it is too, it makes you feel like you holding a guitar, not a cardboard cutout, like when I play a Gibson SG or an LTD, it also gives the guitar this Baritone like sound, Honestly I got it because I'm a Daron Malakian fan boy, and I don't regret it, it's an amazing guitar, at an amazing price, it is comparable to a Gibson. If it got stolen, I would kill whoever did it, no questions asked, I don't even care if it's Daron malakian himself. // 10

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: aeliustehman, on march 31, 2008

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: It was made last year 2007, made in Indonesia. 24 Frets, Jumbo. Solid top. Pure white finish. Iceman body style, ofcourse. Tune-O-Matic bridge, very active electronics. 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way selector switch. Dual humbuckers. Non-locking tuners. Hard case with Ibanez logo comes with. // 9

Sound: My style is mostly metal and hard rock, thrash metal like Metallica, Slayer and things. I use it through a chorus pedal and a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp. It is quite noisy, mostly the amp, it's very loud. I have it on the insane setting all the time though, which is high gain and heavy distortion. The distorted sound is metalliawesome, the clean sound is very rich and beautiful. It has a very big sound variety, I can go Kirk Hammett to Tom Morello to Slash to Herman Li by snapping my fingers. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very very good, very good guitar for fast metal and speed metal. This guitar is built very well. Properly adjusted pickups and routed bridge for beautiful no questions asked sound. No Flaws. Beautiful and perfect guitar. It is very strong and the strings will withstand anything practically. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will definitely withstand Live playing, strings attached nice and firm, body and everything is strong. Strap buttons, solid, my strap has detached once, but the buttons themselves are strong. Whether I would play it without a backup. You also need a backup, in my opinion you can't actually rely on anything to not break. The finish is very good, it's white and can get dirty easy but doesn't come off, have cleaned it a few times. // 9

Overall Impression: I play thrash metal, and with this guitar and amp, it matches it perfectly. I have been playing a year and I have two Fender acoustics and an Ibanez Gio, my first electric guitar, still crappy but sounds good. I have a stoney amp and a chorus pedal also. No I didn't wish I had asked anything, it's perfect. If it was stolen, yes I would, then again it wouldn't because I live in Hong Kong, not much crime here. I compared it with an X-Plorer, Epiphone Les Paul Beauty, and an Ibanez RXG 350EX-BK, which also played beautifully but I am very inventive with my sound and this combo was more suited to what I do. // 10

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2008

Price paid: C$ 689

Purchased from: ItalMelodie

Features: This guitar was made in 2008 in Indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets, it's a neck-tru and string through guitar with a mahogany body. It's satin black with a cream contour that goes from the headstock to the bottom of the guitar. It has a unique body style originally made for Kiss of course. Pickups are passive humbucker DiMarzio D Activators. There is a volume knob and a Tone knob with a 3-way switch. Tuners are non-locking but they keep they're tune pretty well. Comes in a beautiful case made for the shape of the guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for metal, I play mostly Quo Vadis, Opeth, Metallica, Trivium, Ensiferum. I'm using a Marshall AVT 150X wich I Drive with a Boss GT-10 processor. So, no need to say it isn't noisy at all with that set up, I can get any tone I want. You can get an 80's trash metal Metallica sound as well as a perfect acoustic Opeth tone with that guitar, of course the GT-10 helps! Get that pedal! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from ItalMelodie, Montreal and the set up was so good I did'nt believe it at first. Everything was perfect from the action to the height of the pickups to the new set of strings that was on, litteraly everything was perfect. They're wasn't any flaw at all on this guitar, actually I love it so much I just got another one in exchange for my Joe Satriani. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Of course it's a black guitar so you gotta be really careful when cleaning the body cause anything can make a scratch on it. But everything is painted black so it won't get oxidized by the acidity of your hands. The guitar seems really solid, and is pretty heavy too. Strap buttons are really solid and big enough, so you don't have to worry about your strap going off of it. I would totally use this guitar on a gig without any backup. As I said only the black paint can get some scratches but hey if you don't like it don't buy a black guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect match for any style of music. I've been playing for 6 years now and I play mostly metal but I'm looking forward to learn some new styles with my new Boss GT-10 wich produces any tone you want. If this guitar was stolen I'd get a new one and I honestly don't care cause I got two of them. I love everything about this guitar except maybe the front strap button that makes your guitar fall towards the neck when your playing straight up. It isn't balanced well. But that's the only thing I don't like about it. Go get yours today! And if you're looking for a pedal, buy the GT-10 from Boss it's really worth the 500$! // 10

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: guitarguyryan94, on august 25, 2008

Features: Not sure where it was made, but I believe it was made in either 2007 or 2008. It has a wizard II neck that features 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard, a reversed headstock, and reversed shark tooth fret inlays. Mine has a white finish and black binding with black hardware. This guitars hardware features a string through body and tune o-matic bridge, two DiMarzio D activators pickups, and two stable black strap knobs, one volume and one tone with a 3-way pickup selector and non-locking, but very durable, tuners. The body is light and has a contour on the back. // 10

Sound: Wow, I am truely amazed. When I play this beauty through my Line 6 Spider II 30 Watt amplifier I have absolutely no buzz what so ever. The DiMarzio pickups are very high quality and get the job done. The bridge pickup has a very punchy tone and the neck pickup has a full but not muddy sound. Both pickups pick up harmonics very well. The clean setting sounds bright, but not too bright, on the bridge and a well rounded jazzy/bluesy sound when both pickups or the neck pickup is active. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I ordered my guitar directly from the Guitar Center website and when I received it there was fret buzz on the first fret but I am too lazy to get it fixed. No need to adjust anything else on mine. Everything fit my standards. The finish is nice and strong. No scratches, yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would trust this guitar for live playing and I might even trust it enough for a single guitar gig. I have had no problems with tunings. I play with 10 gauge strings and I mainly play in Standard e or e flat tunings. I rarely put my guitar in any drop tuning lower than drop d (besides for e flat) so I can't tell you how well it would up to anything below drop d. I believe I dropped it to c once to play a soad song and it seemed to hold tuning well. I remember it very vaguely so I can't give you much insight. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock/alternative to hard rock/metal and this guitar sure does fit those catagories. The body is beautiful. The most unique guitar I have owned and laid eyes on. I would recommend this guitar to anybody who wants an exotic guitar and loves rock to metal music. // 10

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 04, 2009

Purchased from: Tom Lee

Features: -Made in 2007, Indonesia. -24 Frets Jumbo with a rosewood neck i think. Solid top body, very naice. -Body is mahogany, painted white with black bindings. Iceman style body, super cool. -Some kind of fixed bridge. -DiMarzio Activator pickups, theyre passive though. One volume knob, one tone knob. -Non locking tuners. -Came with a colossal sized Ibanez case with more padding than a limo, and a cheap lead which works pretty well nonetheless. Great features for great value. // 10

Sound: The usual metal, cleans but mostly rock ballads, soloish with lots of delay and reverb. Runs through a Line 6 Spider jam amp and sounds freaking awesome straight out of the box. The DiMarzio active pickups claim to be as articulate as an active pickup without the horrible sterile steriliness that actives suffer from. Pickups were one of the selling points for me I have to admit, as I'd always wanted to try DiMarzio pickups. No regrets here. DiMarzio definitely lives up to its word with a uniqueish tone without battery hassles and doesn't sound like every EMG 85/81 setup which sounds great, BUT THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME. Thats just my 10 cents though. The neck pickup is pretty amazing I must say. Smooth clear tones which are perfect for soloing and heavier styles. However it can get slightly muddy. Only slightly though, not too much of a problem. Another thing that might bother people is its rather bass heavy. I quite like it though, great for bluesiness and other styles. Bridge pickup is a lot harsher. Very good for pinch harmonics. However I find it wayyy to trebly, very thin harsh sound which I don't like too much. However its pretty good with the tone knob turned down. The tone and volume knobs have a bit of an issue too. The volume knob isnt very responsive. Turn it down 9/10ths of the way and it doesn't do anything, just dampens the tone. Its just fun to roll. I use it mainly to turn off feedback when I'm not arsed to reach my amp. The tone knob too seems to suffer the same problem. Turn it down9/10ths of the way it doesn't do anything. Then the last 1/10th you get a mild tone reduction. You can still get the latin rock/santana-esque sound, but really this guitar was just meant for brutal mosh pitting head banging kick ass metal. I mean its a freaking iceman. So really if you're mainly into metal its great. If youre into blues youd be getting something like a Strat anyway. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action set up is perfect, amazing. Nothing to be said there. Out of the box played great, low action super fast. enough said. Pickups were great too, everything worked. However theres only one thing that really bothered me. The black bindings are pretty terrible. Its as if a half sober underpaid worker with a wage of about -5 dollars an hour half assedly painted them on. Ok theyre not that bad, but the small details really get to me, and when youre playing its always in the corner of your eye. Real shame as it detracts from the otherwise extremely great build of it for such a cheap price. The tone knobs also came off about a week after i bought it. Probably from all that knob rolling, its just so satisfying. But its made of black painted metal, so glue it back on and no one would ever notice. The way the iceman body is designed means theres a little kind of tail shape at the bottom, which scratches easily. Otherwise great finish. Im just really fussy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Extremely durable, played live a few times, no problem whatsoever. The tuning knobs are pretty easy to turn though, so accidental bumps will detune it. Just be careful. Hardware is great, any problems like the tone knobs falling off like I mentioned can be fixed with glue. Totally reliable. Didn't try the strap buttons, got Ernie Ball strap locks straight away. Finish is pretty good, doesn't scratch too easily. As long as you don't go smashing your guitar, don't use it for basball, shot by a tank or have it get run over it will definitely last. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is really metal metal metal. I've been playing for about 2 years, but practice daily for about 2 hours-ish. If it were stolen, I'd consider buying it again, I mean for 500 USD (gotta love Hong Kong prices and christmas discounts), its outplayed guitars than cost perhaps a billion times more. However I'd probably try an Ibanez S prestige. Its so sleek its unbelievable. Its unique look will defintely turn heads. My teacher described it as "A guitar that only prince would use". Sadly I'm not Prince. Nontheless great guitar for a ridiculously great price. The only problem really is the bridge pickup being too harsh for my taste. Perhaps a Seymour Duncan would do the job there. I also wish the bindings werent so sloppy, because it detracts from what would be a perfect look. In all honesty theres nothing else I wish it had, apart from maybe like a build in wifi, and maybe a bayonet to ward off intoxicated fans. But it might possibly be the best value guitar on the market. // 9

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: allanon88, on october 06, 2009

Price paid: C$ 800

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia and was purchased in 2009. It has 24 frets with sharktooth inlays (that's what they're called right?) which look very nice. solid top body painted black with white trim. The paint shows pick scratches and such which is inherent with any guitar without a pick guard. Fixed bridge with thru body stringholes which help with sustain. Three way pickup selector tone knob and volume knob. DiMarzio activator pickups which although are not active they sure sound like it. They are perfect for pinch harmonics and metal. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal with a dab of rock and punk and this guitar is perfect for those styles. This guitar is actually pretty versatile (unlike my MTM1). I am playing this guitar through a Slash signature wah and a metal master distortion pedal. The amps I use are a Fender metalhead and a Marshall MG 100 HDFX and this guitar sounds great through both of them. There isn't much excess noise or feedback so you could probably get away without a noise gate at some smaller shows. God I love the pickups in this guitar! Perfect for metal! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well at the factory, but the first string buzzed at the twelfth but a quick action adjustment did the trick. The pickups weren't too high or low from the strings which was good. There are no flaws that I can see or hear with this guitar and I've had it for almost a year now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have actually dropped this guitar a few times by accident but i havent even seen a flake of paint come off of it. This guitar seems very sturdy and i would definitaly use it Live. There are no pops or buzzes when using the pickup selector Switch or using the knobs. The strap pegs are metal but the strap can fall off easily. I wear a metal watch on my right hand while playing my guitar (which is stupid I know) and I havent been able to rub through the finish yet so it seems thick enough. // 9

Overall Impression: I have an Ibanez MTM 1 and an Ibanez Iceman IC200 and I personally enjoy this one way more than those two. Even though this guitar was made in Indonesia instead of Japan like some more expensive Ibanez's I am very impressed with how it looks, plays, and sounds. If it were lost or stolen I would buy the same guitar without hesitation. // 8

Iceman ICT700 Reviewed by: Section 5, on january 21, 2010

Features: The ICT700 is the new Iceman model from Ibanez. It's a 24 fret metal monster, with the speedy Wizard II neck for shredding on, a mahogany body, reverse headstock, and best of all, two DiMarzio D-Activator pickups. Yes please! My guitar came ready strung in a well built Ibanez hard case with a free cable. Can't think of much else to say here... I'm giving this a 10 because it does just what it says on the tin really. // 10

Sound: I play a wide range of styles, from jazz right through to chugging metal. Currently I've got the Iceman running through a DigiTech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. When played clean, the guitar is surprisingly full and rich, giving wonderful sustain and beautiful response. Add in a little reverb, switch to the neck pickup and enjoy some smooth blues lines; play dry on the bridge and a snappy tone jumps from underneath your fingers. But enough about the cleans. By looking at the shape, you know this guitar is all about rock! And it delivers rock and metal tones in spades. With my Hardwire pedal engaged, the tones are second to none, really. You would honestly never think the D-Activators are passive, such are their ferocity and bite. I can get everything from a rich solo tone to a blistering rhythm attack with this guitar. Absolutely nothing bad to say about this guitar in terms of sound; a 10 in this category as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall, the guitar was great when it came out of the box. My model is black with a white binding around the body, but upon closer inspection I discovered the binding was in fact just paint, which was disappointing. Also, the action straight out of the box was just a touch too low, and quite buzzy, but I've had it five months now and it sorted itself out within two or three days, so that wasn't a major problem. All the hardware was nicely set up; the bridge was great, the tuners were fine. I'll give this a 9 because of the binding and the out-of-the-box action (although it seems a little harsh!) // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like a great workhorse, something I can really depend on. Strapped on, it balances a treat and the strap buttons are in no danger of falling off. Everything seems durable so far, but I'm giving this category a 9 because the aforementioned painted-on binding looks like it will rub off eventually. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from Jack Johnson to Megadeth, and I can get any tone I like out of the Iceman. I've been playing for just over three years now, and this is definitely the best guitar I've owned (not as good as it seems; my last setup was a Squier Strat into a Line 6 Spider III). If it were stolen or lost, I would hunt down and retrieve it, whatever the cost! The best things about it are the wonderful pickups and the incredible neck, and of course the cool shape. I wish I'd got it in white, though, as I love white guitars! This guitar has got to get full marks overall. Highly recommended. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014