Iceman ICX220 Review

9.2
 8.5
reviews (8) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2005

Features: The ICX Iceman is a more modern and compact version of the Ibanez classic Iceman style rock and roll axe. There's no mistaking the Iceman for any other guitar. Definitely not in sight and certainly not in sound. Nothing says or plays rock and roll like the Iceman. It features the classic 24.75 in. neck, which lends itself to strong rhythm and leads. The bolt on All Access neck joint allows easy access to the upper frets typically associated with set-in and neck thru joints. Basswood is a comparatively lightweight wood, which makes it very comfortable for extended playing. With a good balance of highs and lows, basswood is right in between alder and mahogany in sound character. - X neck - 3pc. maple neck material - Basswood body - 24 large frets - Bound Rosewood Finger Board - BR-EG bridge - IBZ INF3 (H) Neck Pu - IBZ INF4 (H) Bridge Pu - Pearl Dot Inlay. // 10

Sound: This axe is great for metal, I can get a nice sharp sound out of it and I can get a good fat sound from it too. Pinch harmonics are very easy to play on it and they sound great. It works pretty well for tapping too. I play it through my Danelectro Fab Metal distortion and my Cube-15 (this guitar is the most expensive piece of equipment I own, as you can see). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action wasn't perfect when I got it, I had to adjust the treble end. The pickups were adjusted well but, one of the height adjustment screws on the bridge pickup has come out and needs to be put back in. Other than that it came to me in fine condition. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and a bit of blues (but not on this thing), the ICX220 works perfectly for metal. Before I had this I had a Epiphone SG Junior, so as you can see this is a big step up. What I love about this thing is the fact that it has 24 frets I just love having a full 2-octaves on each string. What I don't like though is the finish and how easily it scratches. If lost or stolen I would probably save up for an IC400 (which is what I'm planning on moving up to). // 10

Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: Darkness 666, on november 28, 2005

Features: I've had my eye on theis guitar for a long time, ever since I saw Daron from System Of A Down use an Iceman. But anyway, today I bought it in this shopand I had a go on it beofre I bought it, an it was like a dream! I also tried an Epiphone SG, but the Iceman had such a clearer sound than any other guitar I've ever tried (alot). Even when I had it with reverb, distortion and overdrive, the sound was really heavy, just what I wanted to achieve that System Of A Down and Offspring sound. Fantastic. It has such a rounded neck, really, beautiful shape and everything I've ever dreamed of. // 10

Sound: The sound, were to begin. The sound is the best thing about this guitar. It has great sound if you want to achieve that really havey sound, if you like Korn, System Of A Down, Offspring or Marliyn Manson then this is the guitar for you. It sounds really heavy with the right effect on and still is clear. Great for solo's with a metal effect on! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar apparently was really well put together so the man in the shop said. As soon as it was delivered, it was pretty much in tune and all you needed to do was fit the strings and play away. This is a solid body guitar and is really light! The pickups are really good, they are some of the best I've ever played with. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has to be realiable because if big bands use it then it must be good. This guitar is a little wierd because it has a strange strap postions, they are actually on the back of the guitar, but it feels really comfy when playing standing up and sitting down. As long as you have a good amp and a lot of effects this guitar is any metal guitarists dream guitar. And it looks really good when people see you with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is the best guitar I've ever played so far and is really well made and sounds great, as I say, if you like SOAD and Korn this guitar is really good. The only bad thing about this guitar is it is a little to small. But I got over that a long time ago, bassicaly a fantastic guitar. Well worth a look in to if you want a new guitar. // 10

Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2009

Features: I'm not sure about all of this, because I got the guitar second hand, and I haven't researched into it properly yet. It has a really thin smooth neck with 24 frets and a gibraltar quick change bridge of some description (hard tail). There is a 3 way pickup selector Switch, and two sets of humbucker pickups on the neck and bridge. The finish is a sleek, glossy black. There is 1 volume and 1 tone dial that controls both sets of pickups. Lacks tremolo. // 8

Sound: As far as I can tell, this guitar sounds great on any amp. I use it on a 10w Marshall valvestate practice amp at home and it sounds f****** fantastic it even sounds great on battered school practice amps, which even my mate's Epiphone gothic extreme struggles to do. You can get a bright crunchy tone with screeching high notes, and then sweep down to a full fat warm bassy feel just by twisting the 1 tone dial, the tonal range on the icx 220 is unreal. I'm pretty new to playing the guitar, and I haven't started to specialise in any particular style yet, but it seems to cover everything. I think it is best with metal and punk styles, but I think you could probably play anything on it, even something like Taylor swift if you were that way inclined. It is certainly the guitar to go for if you want variety, whilst still being able to fit in with a rock band. The only downside is that it lacks a tremolo, but you could probably install one of those if you're good at that kind of thing, (Which I'm not:)) // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guy I brought this from was a serial fiddler, and all the intonation was wrong. I took it to the wizards in my local music store, back alley. They did a great job and now everything is absoloutely perfect. They were however reluctant to give it back because they liked it so much! The guitar was otherwise well adjusted, but you would expect that from Ibanez. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself seems indestructible with the exception of the finish, which seems to collect dus, fingerprints and fine scratches. I don't mind scratches, but some might. I have not encountered any major problems myself, and I would certainly be confident taking this baby live! // 10

Overall Impression: I recently upgraded to this guitar from a cheap, finger-killing, steel string Acoustic. I really wanted this guitar and couldn't beleive it when I found one in perfect condition for just 75 (Inclusive of a Marshall practice amp!). This guitar looks really awesome and is a real stand out from the crowd. If it was stolen, I would have to replace it immediately with another icx 220, or possibly an icx400 if I could afford one. The only problem with this guitar is that it is neck-heavy, and enjoys hanging upside down, (Great if you are a dramatic showman and you want to play hanging from the ceiling, but otherwise quite annoying.) I understand that this isn't the case with the icx400, but there again the 400 is quite a bit more expensive. I don't think that the lack of tremolo is a massive issue unless you are a big Pink ffloyd fan, and anyone with experience could probably install one. // 9

Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2005

Sound: I got it on Christmas and oh boy, this is a beast. It's so easy to get an amazing sharp, clear sound, great for those high scale notes! Even with that, it's still amazingly metallic sounding, chunky, big and loud. I used to have an Encore E1BTROFT that I got of eBay for about 50, there is an enourmouse sound diffrence between them both. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it as an Xmas present from my parents, and they got it from some online music store. It came in about a week and when I opend it for xmas day, it was in a brown Ibanez box with lots of other parts i.e. Alan keys and I didn't have to ajust a thing. The strings where on fine, tuned, no loose screws they even threw in replacement strings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is good quality, I would have to hit it with some form of object to leave a mark. The straps where a bit diffrent, but seems to feel fine, it's ment to release strain on your shoulders. I personaly would play it on stage (I do anyway), but if I had more guitars that were decent, I would take a spare, just in case something goes wrong. // 9

Overall Impression: Looks amazing, plays amazing, the quality is high and affordable and not to hard to find. I love how easy it is to reach the 24 fret its so easy! I normaly play metal/rock I got the guitar as daron malakien of system of a down impressed me with this guitar and I wanted to se how good it was my self, even know I realise he now has a IC400. // 10

Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: Black melon, on april 15, 2006

Purchased from: Music Plex

Features: The Ibanez ICX220 Includes a 3pc neck, basswood body, large frets, a full tune 3 bridge, and a EZ change tailpiece. For pickups, theres a IBZ INF3 neck pickup, and a IBZ INF4 bridge pickup. Available in black. There is one volume one tone and a 3-way pickup Switch for controls. // 8

Sound: This guitar is best suited for metal/hard rock, the guitars pickups create a very heavy deep sound. Although I'm using this guitar through a no name amp, it sounds really good, no hum, no fret buzz, and you can play it straight out of the box. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had no major flaws. One flaw was the neck to body waight ratio was off balance, the neck is to heavy. I suggest getting a lighter neck (like a Ibanez 5 piece wizard prestige neck) its just a hypothosis, but I think it might solve the problem. Another flaw on my guitar was the bridge pickup's Thread wore off, leaving it unable to stay in place. I fixed this problem with some electrical tape and styrofoam to replace the screw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, good solid construction. Strings seem to thrive and last long. I've had it sence cristmas (april 14th tobay) and I broke 4 strings all together. The finish seems good enough, mo major ware and tare. I Did have to glue one of the end pins back on, it became dangerously loose. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is the best I've ever played, it's cutaways fit perfectly, sounds awsome (not too sinister), Has a very unique shape, and you get a good bang for your buck. // 9

Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Centre

Features: There are many features that make the ICX220 appealing. Myself, I love the body style. It's amazing, stands out from the crowd and just looks cool! The body is finished in a hot glossy black, which is prone to fingerprints and dust, but still looks amazing when it's clean. The guitar has 24 frets which gives you a full 2 octaves on each string. // 9

Sound: The guitar is built for metal/rock. And oh hell yes, it suits these styles. The pickups are amazing when put through an old overdrive pedal I have through my Marshall little 10w practise amp, God knows what it would sound like through a 200 amp with a Tube Screamer or something. The tone is amazing, with full volume through the distortion pedal you can get some beefy riffs with palm muting and such. Pinch harmonics are very easy to play. The guitar has an awesome sound. It does well on clean setting too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up rather well. I had no problems with it at all. The only one problem I had with it was that the strings that came from the factory were crap! Medium gauge at best, they sound crap when Drop D'd playing an open power chord. When I get some Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings everything will be peerrrrfect. The action was good, no problems there. There were no flaws on the guitar at all. The hardware is extremely good quality chrome. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. I haven't tried it yet, but I will be doing soon, and I'm sure it'll go well! The hardware seems very sturdy, the controls are chrome and fit perfectly onto the body and are very smooth when twisting them. The pickup selector also is solid. The strap buttons seem pretty solid as of now, however, we'll know for sure when I thrash around on stage! I would never go to a gig without a backup in case of a broken string, but if strings were invincible, yes, I would go without a backup! The finish is excellent. The only problem I have is the glossy blackness tends to attract dust and fingerprints, but that's not a problem if you keep it clean! // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal/rock and this guitar was made for metal/rock. I have been playing for about a year and a half now and have just upgraded from a Tanglewood SG copy. The SG was very good for a cheap guitar, and with some better strings it was amazing. However, it does not beat the feeling of playing my iceman, everything just feels a lot better when playing the Iceman. If it were stolen or lost I would cry for a while, then try and get another one somehow! There is nothing I hate about this guitar. I love it. // 10

Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2008

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Well, anyone can see that the cutaway makes access to the top frets a lot easier and treble work is a breeze. Tele-style volume and tone dials are easily gripped and look great! Forgetting the body shape it kind of reminds me of a les paul, in the way it's set up. Diagonal slots in the bridge make string changing really quick and easy as there is no need to thread the strings through tiny holes, just slot them into place? The finish looks great at first but the shiny black is extremely easy to scratch and so extra care is needed in transport and playing with picks. // 9

Sound: Generally quite a rocky sound as you would expect from two humbuckers. Slight distortion brings this guitar to life especially with the high notes, this is one of a select group of guitars which still manages to sound like liquid when played despite also sounding hard as nails. don't ask me how. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the action was really messed up when it arrived, took quite a while to set it up, and one of the pickups was slightly too high, but action and pickup height tend to be personal taste so some people may have thought it was fine. After about six months the pickup spring broke and the screw became loose, this is an annoying flaw as the pickups stick to the strings due to the magnets in them and so the screw etc. has to be fixed straight away, although it sounds like an easy job the adjusting and putting a new spring in is actually incredably 'fiddly'. However, everything else seemed to be great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I changed the strap buttons as I use quick-lok straps on all of my guitars, the guitar is great Live and I have used it without a backup, strings break very rarely on this guitar, and so I always feel confident without a safety. The wiring etc. is extremely sound and it seems like it will last. The finish looks great in some lights but in others you can see battered pick lines, I don't personally mind as I think the occasional scratch adds character, but some people might find the fine paint frustrating // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly rhythm guitar with a tad of lead every now and again, this guitar is perfect for me. It can take a beating and the strings don't rattle when you strum too hard, but also it responds to the slightest touch on the highest frets and so makes fast licks easy. I eventually want to fix a bigsby tremolo to it as I think it would sound even more awesome with some of that! I originally bought this guitar as a cheaper backup for my best guitars but ended up using it as my first choice. If it were stolen etc. I would buy it again in an instant. I love the sound and the quirky shape, however I hate the pickup screws as they ware, and the guitar is top heavy so you can never leave it unsupported with your left hand. I wish it had a Bigsby, and a more durable finish, but apart from that I think it's awesome. // 8

Iceman ICX220 Reviewed by: DarkSilhoette13, on january 24, 2012

Features: - no idea where its made probably some Asian country - 24 frets - basswood - black and shiny... Like the picture - hardtail tune-o-matic I believe, probably I knock-off version tho - 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch - 2 humbuckers; neck-INF3/bridge-INF4 I really like this guitar, very simple, very nice tonal capabilities. I play hardcore punk rock (the real kind) and a bit of thrash and GnR style rock n roll. I only give it a 9 cos no tremolo bridge, but that's not why I bought this guitar... In fact I own an LTD KH-202 and I prefer my ICX, and the LTD has a floyd. // 9

Sound: Like I said I play punk. It suits it well, I currently play thru a 20w JCA20H tube head and either a Marshall 4x10 cab or Fender 4x12 keyboard cab. I used to use a Marshall MG100HDFX (which is where I got the 410 cab) 'til it took a shit on me, but the guitar has sounded good thru any amp I've ever played it on with the exception of this little Mega 5w a mp haha. I have had problems with the input jack, but I'm sure that's my fault, not the guitars, and when I resoldered it together maybe that messed with the sound? Cos when I plug into an amp and turn it up loud, I get hella feedback! Could be the cable, but I'm not sure. I like playing thru the bridge pickup cos its very bright and handles all the distortion you need. The neck pickup is nice too, especially for clean. Handles effects well I suppose, but I only use them if I'm just screwin round. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is nice, could be a tad lower but oh well, its gets the job done, very well. The finish chips well and scratches easily haha as said before, but I don't care too much for that; I like character. Plus nothing a bunch of stickers can't fix. The guitar didn't have any flaws when I bought it, they all occurred after I started playing it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped this damn thing God knows how many times! Partly due to the top strap pin being in the back of the guitar, which does suck, but once you get your strap on right (hehe) it doesn't pose a very big problem anymore. Hardware is longlasting... I've had this guitar for close to 10 years playing in bands the entire time at shows and the only really big problem is my tone knob is loose, but I don't use it haha. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before, this guitar is my favorite guitar, even over my ESP! I've been playing almost 10 years, but I'm not really that good, although I have lots of experience... I just got into tube amps, and the futures looking bright to me so far so I guess if I got it stolen or lost I'd just get like a Les Paul Copy or some shit, but if it gets lost or stolen and I already have a nice collection of guitars, I'd get this one again if I could find it. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014