Iceman X Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/13/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: Iceman X
Black basswood body, pair of Ibanez Powerhouse humbucker pickups, maple neck, 22 fret rosewood fingerboard, volume control, tone control, 3-way selector.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.2
 Features: 8.1
 7.8
 8.4
 7.2
reviews (10) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Iceman X Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2004

Features: 22 fret guitar with 3 way selector, 2 high output humbucking pick-ups (H/H). color: black. body style : Ice Man like Daron has on system of a down, just different color and no graphics. // 10

Sound: Its great for pretty much any music style, except acoustic. I use a 30 watt crate and a 100 watt rogue amplifier with my guitar. Great sound for metal/rock, even on a clean channel the thing sounds beautiful, I like the syle, the playibility-everything, no dislikes here. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I think the factory set the guitar up well, the action is great. Pick-ups are great, I couldn't find any flaws with my Iceman. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definetly think the guitar could withstand live playing, I believe the hardware will last me a long time, I think I could maybe use it on a gig without a backup guitar. It's definetly a guitar you can depend on. // 10

Overall Impression: I play both metal and rock, I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. I have a lot of different gear that I use with my guitar. If I had to, I'd buy another Iceman just like the one I have now, the only thing I wish the guitar had was 24 frets, but im not that picky, so I just went with 22 frets. // 10

Iceman X Reviewed by: Foxy Roxy, on may 22, 2009

Purchased from: Springfield Music Store, PA

Features: Features: Mid 80s; Made in Korea 22 frets; Rosewood Fretboard; 25.5" Scale? Black with White Stripe Iceman Body Tune-O-Matic Passive Stocks; H-H Non-Locking Stock Tuners // 7

Sound: I'm actually surprised by this guitar, for as thin as it is compared to some other guitars, it does have a nice range. For the lower strings it has a great low end but also does great in the higher strings. I wouldn't necessarily say this guitar is as versatile as a Fender Stratocaster, or a Gibson Les Paul, but it definitely does have a very nice metal sound to it that I like. You're not going to get a dark sound like you would out of an ESP Viper but it does well especially in Standard tuning. I have yet to use thick strings on it but the lights do well. I've used it on a Fender Frontman, a Crate something, and a Line III Spider 30 amp, and it defintely sounds great. It's nothing revolutionary but I like it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well setup, like almost every new guitar, it had to be tuned. Oh well, it's good enough to not snap 4 and half strings the first time I tune it. It is comfortable, no fret buzz, comfortable tapping, no real outstanding flaws. Pickups were a little screwy, I felt the neck pickup was too low and I just took a screwdriver and ADJUSTED IT. But everything is great. Again, nothing revolutionary. The only reason I'm rating it a 6 is because I had to tune it. I mean what the crap is that? // 6

Reliability & Durability: When smashed, it's going to break. The guitar will withstand playing Live, depending how energetic you are and how many [beer bottles/tomatoes/groupies] get thrown at you during the average show, I doubt anything is really going to happen to it. The hardware seems pretty sturdy, and the strap buttons hold. It's rather reliable, I think the only thing that will happen will be the strap breaking. Since I've heard the this guitar line was made for like 4 years in the 80s, the paint is still factory fresh, it's pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definitely a great guitar for heavy metal. Because I play mainly Thrash, Heavy Punk, and Power Metal, I need to Switch between 5 sounds but it happens to do great with it. I've been playing for almost 2 years and compared to an ESP V-50 and a Fender Squier I own, it's definitely my main guitar. The ESP I use for Drop and Open C and the Squier I'll use for Powerblues (basically BB King + Yngwie Riffs). But the guitar is awesome. One thing though struck me. For $150, one of the better guitars I've ever played not only was a definite buy. The guitar is very solid and very nice, but what I really like with the low end RGs and certain LTDs is that they aren't really expected to perform as well as the higher end models, and (in most situations) it looks as a sort of canvas. People think that you should save up for high end models and even then there are things that they don't like some things about them, but if you saved up $1000, buy a cheap guitar, something that you're happy with, and spend the money on better pickups, or hardware, new finish. This guitar has matched my expectations and I really like it enough to start pouring money into perfecting it, which I advise a lot of guitarists to start doing. Sure it doesn't have some of the things I want like a Floyd Rose and an integrated tuning system but it definitely does the things that actually matter. So I will give it a 10 in the respect that it does what I want and gives me something to do with it. (Come on, I could put a 85/81s in a Strat, but if I don't like the Strat where's that going to get me?) // 10

Iceman X Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 16, 2003

Features: If you're looking to get noticed, this guitar's for you. It sports a black basswood body with a white outline goin' around it. It gives out killer tone with a pair of Ibanez Powerhouse humbucker pickups. It has a maple neck, and a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. It also has shiny chrome hardware. It has a volume control, a tone control, and a 3-way selector. It has its own shape and cannot be described without seeing it. It can be seen on the cover of the july 2002 issue of "guitar world" magazine being held by "System Of A Down"'s Daron Malakian. In my opinion this is an awesome and beautiful guitar with a little edge but is a true peice of art. With a low price right now of $249.99, it is definately worth the money. // 8

Sound: It is used by "system of a down"'s daron malakian, so it can put out some deadly tone. It is not only for playing distorted though. It plays great clean, but is probably not the guitar looking for if you want to play an acoustic looking guitar. If your a rocker, this would be a good guitar for you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I cannot find any flaws on this rock machine. It was set up well and is so good looking that I can see myself in it. Nothing to complain about hear. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will last me a while. The finish is great and it will take any punishment you dish out while playing live. I like to use different tunings so I would most likely be using a backup instead of tuning my guitar back and forth on-stage (duh). This section would be perfect but the top straplock screw keeps coming loose. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 2 years now. I own a Crate amp and am going to purchase a new one - probably a Marshall 30 watt with dig. effects. I love just about everything about this guitar. The straplock is messed up but thats goin on with every guitar I've ever owned. I test played this one along with a Ibanez GAX70 and an Ibanez RG270DX and this one was my favorite. I knew I was gonna buy it as soon as I tested it. It's price was higher than the GAX and lower than the RG, but it was worth the cash. good guitar overall. // 10

Iceman X Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2004

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This particular model is made in korea i believe, has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard on a lightly finished 4-bolt maple neck. It has a black singlebound basswood body with two Ibanez powersound humbuckers in cheesey chrome/plastic mounting rings and a 3 way toggle Switch. A plastic nut, run of the mill tuners and hardware that leaves a little bit to be desired. Nothing overly special in the features department. // 4

Sound: I played it through a 150 watt Marshall AVT series half stack. For metal it is a tough act to beat but in terms of versatility it does'nt exactly Shine. Some slight buzz at high volume but nothing a little more volume can't fix. The basswood body naturaly lends itself to a deep dark sounds that are sought after by metal heads and hard rockers alike. When ever you moved while playing the guitar on high volume, every little creak produces by the guitar comes through the amp which isnt the coolest thing ever. This guitar is a one trick poney. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was nice and low straight out of the box and the pickups are easily adjustable with a philips screw driver. Basswood by nature is easily dinged and dented so if you give this guitar a beating its going to show especially on that shiny black finish. The electronics wont hold up for much longer than a year if you are rough with it, but it isn't that big a deal to fix. The guitar is very noisey in every aspect of the word. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will last as long as you take care of it. This is probably the best advice I can give you after having it for 2 years. // 6

Overall Impression: I play just about every style of music for about 4 years though I have moved on and purchased a far superrior guitar to this one it was a good first electric guitar for the money. // 6

Iceman X Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Features: - 22 large frets - A light, solid basswood body - A 3-piece maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard - A black, shiny top - A original heavy-metal style design - A fixed full tune ii bridge - 1 volume and 1 tone knob with a 3-way selector - Two Ibanez AH3 and AH4 humbucker pickups // 10

Sound: I mainly play hard-rocking heavy metal music such as Mudvayne, Slipknot, and System of a Down (the guitarist of which uses a souped-up version of this guitar as his custom model.) However, I also play quite a bit of punk and AC/DC as well and this guitar easily suits all of my playing styles. This guitar is not noisy at all. It can give many different sounds from a great clean tone to a rock hard distortion. Also, it can go from a very bassy tone to a trebly tone in a pinch! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I ordered this guitar from Guitar Center and it arrived brand-new within a few weeks. When I got it, I was quite impressed with how well the pickups were set up and adjusted and how effective the bridge was. Especially after I found out how shitty my brother's Ibanez GSA 60 was set up at first and how hard it turned out to maintain. Anyway, I couldn't find any flaws on this beautiful instrument! Even after playing on it for about a month. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar would quite easily stand up to any pusnishment you unleash on it when playing live. However, in terms of looks, your punishment will definetely show on the easily smudged finish. However, that's nothing a little polish and a rag couldn't fix. As a result, I would most certainly depend on this guitar live without a backup. The strap buttons are positioned a bit strangely, but are quite solid and easy to get used to. Lastly, even though the finish is prone to show smudges and fingerprints, it should still last quite a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: So, all in all, this guitar, soundwise matches pretty much about any style out there. However, in looks, it is straight Rocker- style all the way. If this guitar were stolen, I would definetely buy another immediately. I mainly love it's original design and killer tone more than anything else and I cannot find anything to hate about this guitar, except for maybe the easily smudged finish. Before buying this, I compared this guitar to the original, larger, and older Iceman 200 and Iceman 400 because I thought the shape of the original was a bit cooler and because of the fact that Daron Malakian of System of a Down used to use the Iceman 400. However, I decided to buy this one because (1) Reviews that I read on Musiciansfriend.com, the site you are currently viewing, and many other sites stated that this guitar generally gave out much better performance that the original Icemen, and (2) I found out, through Ibanez.com that Daron of System of a Down, was soon getting a brand-new custom model which was virtually the same guitar with 2 Volume and 2 Tone Knobs and a different paint job. There is nothing that I wish this guitar had. To me, it is the perfect guitar for anyone who is into any style. Also, it is perfect for beginning, intermediate, and expert guitar players. If you want to find out more about this guitar, look at Ibanez.com or contact your local Guitar Vendor. It truly is in a class by itself! // 10

Iceman X Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2004

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: - 22 large frets - Very solid and very light basswood body - Has a very nice gloss effect and an extremely unique shape - 2 Ibanez Powerhouse humbuckers - Ibanez X series neck - Iceman IC100 body // 10

Sound: The double humbuckers are really pushed to the limit on this axe. It sounds absolutely amazing, especially if it's Drop C tuned like I've done to mine, it's pefect for heavy metal whether it be quite light or full on extreme death metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set how I like it, low. I haven't had any problems with the pickups so far, Ibanez did a really good job at fitting this guitar. The body is that of the original Iceman IC100, only this time tad smaller. But the neck is just aslong. The body is infact alot better (in my opinion than the IC100) as Ibanez have designed it so that the critical weight difference in the top and bottom of the guitar is kept minimal (if you've played any other iceman you'll know what I mean.) The original Iceman was at first a bastard to play standing up. The lovely black basswood body is gloss finish and can be easily polished, no marks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar, would definately withstand a battering or two, however I intend to take good care of my lovely ICX for a few more years before I start smacking it about. If it's well looked after it'll last you a very long time. Strap buttons are 100% solid no movement whatsover, again praise goes Ibanez as this can become a problem in other guitars, the only problem is the awkward positioning but this is easy to get used to. // 10

Overall Impression: I was surprised that this guitar was so good. At first, to me, it was just another guitar and I only brought it because of the shape and some reviews I had heard, when I first palyed it I was blown away by the lovely crisp sound of the powerhosue pickups. Definately recommend it to all players who love thrash/heavy metal. // 10

Iceman X Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2005

Purchased from: Music Makers

Features: This babys got 24 frets, the neck is rather wide near the body, bolt on neck, it's got one tone and one volume control and a 3-way selector for the two active infinity humbuckers (which totally rock). It's got a full tune bridge that works wonderfully. // 10

Sound: It works great for metal, I use my Cube 15 on the metal stack setting with it. I get no fuzz from the amp at all but if I turn it up to much I get a lot of feedback, but this maybe due to my super short cord. This thing works great for Pinch harmonics. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it the action on the treble side was set a bit too high, it only took me a few seconds to fix it though. Other than that it was set up great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The finish doesn't look like it would wear off easily but it does scratch easily. The strap button is located in an odd place, on the back of the body rather than the neck and it causes the neck to go downward when I use a strap with it. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great match for my style of music, I've been playing for a little over a year, if it were stolen or lost I would either replace it or buy a higher end iceman. I love the strings it came with, they're the perfect gauge for me. // 10

Iceman X Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2007

Features: This underrated rare guitar was only made for 5 years around the '80s, and with it's 24 fret rosewood pearl inlay neck, it's a bueatiful metal guitar to keep way up the neck for high pitch squels and divebombs. Although Ibanezes are know for difficult tuning, my modified floating bridge does well at tuning and not breaking the strings. it's got to knobs (volume and shape), and enriched IBN-20 stock pickups, came with alittle fret-buzz, but was easy to fix. If you've got a good leterman and time to cuztimize this guitar, it's perfect for all you metal needs. // 8

Sound: I am a very versitile guitarist that plays RHCP to As I Lay Dying, but this guitar is perfect for those moments I just wanna shred or moments of remorse for Dime. I use in pure through a Fender 150, and I can get real god bends, and some nice bass pinch harmonics and tapping. Dive bombs are possible without wammy on this guitar. It's kinda nosy given it's harder stature of music, but it would do fin for a good while. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was a bad stock guitar, but within an hour or adjustments, it was amazing. There was some fret buzz and other minor tweeks, so I only recommend it for passionete players who actually care about what their playing, and what their playing ti on. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would take this guitar to a long gig without a backup for sure, everthing is pretty sound, and I wouldn't ever have to stop to change a string. With heavy stirng on the bass (Eirne Ball top heavy) this a good guitar to sit for hours and figure out some nice Pantera or Iron Maiden on. // 10

Overall Impression: It works for my shredding moments, but I have a little 21 fret gio Ibanez for the others that works fine. I have been playing 2-6 hours aday for 3 years, and this guitar was a real challange to live up to when I got in from my friend. I'm a big fan of the JEMS, but you can't always keep what you want, but this guitar I would buy again if it went missing. The only thing that would make this guitar the most amazing metal guitar is a Floyd Rose. // 10

Iceman X Reviewed by: CodeXANA, on june 24, 2009

Purchased from: guitar.co.uk

Features: Previous Generation 1979 Classic Ibanez Iceman X, so sorry for fooling with the title. Body is similar to the Fender Strat, laminated top... Frets are awesomely huge, with 24 frets, making this beauty a whopper. Normally I would do some research into the wood, but I can only assume it is Ash (nicely toned wood), with a rosewood fretboard. This particular model is finished with a transparent white gloss, Floyd Rose bridge (no locking vib.) // 6

Sound: Unfortunately, the older Iceman is not in the same league as the daughter products... The tone is dulled by the glue-bound truss that holds the barely distinguished sound to this mis-match beauty of a body. The light-weight body weakens any natural reverb, and unless you have mechanical fingers, string-bends sound poor. Fretwires are too wide... making soloing even more difficult. Even a Gibson SG gives more playability. However, like its following spawn, the '79 has the ability to be a great metal and rock guitar... On default factory settings, it sounds weak, but tweak the pickups a bit, and Bob is literally your teapot. So much crunch is given by simple chords // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar body is well made, and everything is as it should be. All the pegs and controls were well fitted, and plastic wrapped by previous owner. Repeating slightly, the pickups were poorly set up, the fretwires just about killed me during the intro to Through The Fire And Flames... as if it wasn't difficult enough. After tweaking the pickups, the Iceman pulls its act together slightly, but not enough to save its rating // 5

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand playing Live? Uhh... better question: Will it make it on to the stage? The finish seems to be able to last, but we shall never know, because the strings will have snapped because of a slight temperature change... I couldn't rely on this guitar if I was playing a gig... I wouldn't even have it as my primary guitar... // 4

Overall Impression: I am into my metal, and I have had to stop playing this guitar because I can barely hear it on my amp... and the amp is powerful, (as expensive as the guitar), and more importantly, the strings don't hold up. I have been playing for six years, and have owned more than twenty guitars... and this is by far "The Worst Guitar I Have Ever Played"... I totally regret buying it in terms of play, but the beauty of it is what made me buy it. If it was stolen, I would be upset because I have lost a beautiful guitar, then, after an hour or so, I would go buy the new Iceman X, or possibly a B\.C\. Rich. // 5

Iceman X Reviewed by: irapotato, on august 13, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: A few years ago, when looking through the guitar section at a large music store, I came across an Ibanez Iceman X. I had already looked at many other guitars, but I hadn't found many that really stood out within a reasonable price point. I knew a bit about Iceman guitars beforehand, but I had never really tried one. The Iceman X caught my eye because of the radical body style, 22-fret scale (which I had yearned for when playing my previous 24-fret guitar which had fretting problems higher up the neck), and dual-humbucker setup. The guitar was lightly used, with almost no damage to the finish or neck, and still had all original parts. At the time I was heavily considering purchasing a guitar with a locking tremolo and dual volume and tone knobs, neither of which the X had, but what it lacked in flair it made up for in great action and a nice thin neck that never felt too thin, like some other Ibanez guitars. The guitar is comfortable to play and hold sitting down, and the only problem I have with the design being that the front strap hook is on the back of the guitar by the neck bolts, which makes the guitar rotate top-foreward when held by a strap. The guitar does have a 3-way pickup selector switch, but only has master tone and volume knobs. // 8

Sound: When I first played this guitar the neck pickup really stood out to me - with the right amp settings it gives a nice warm fat tone, reminiscent of the neck pickup on a strat. The bridge gives a very nice defined pluck without being tinny or overly harsh, and sounds great with a bit of distortion. Though when I bought this guitar I was into more distorted tones, I've become more of a producer recently, and the Iceman delivers for almost any kind of tone. It works very well when put through amp simulators as well as direct input, and the hum buckers produce a relatively low volume hum, especially for an Ibanez guitar. I was surprised to realize how good my Iceman sounds clean, and making slight adjustments to the pickup height can really shape the tone to your liking (I ended up raising the bridge pickup a bit and dropping the neck pickup a hair). I've used my X for everything from drop-tuned metal to jazz standards, and as long as you know what sound you're looking for you shouldn't have much trouble getting it out of this axe. I use this Iceman with my Vox AC30 and my Fender Frontman 25R, along with a Vox Wah and an MXR Compressor. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Though I usually find bolt-on neck guitars a bit flimsy, the neck is tight with the body and I've never felt like I was playing a "cheap" guitar. I can't say for factory setup, but by the time I purchased my X it played like a dream. The action is low enough to easily fret notes quickly but high enough keep fret buzz at bay, and the nut is well cut and durable. The neck wood is a nice dark maple, which can appear almost black in less intense lighting. The only aesthetic touch that isn't black or very dark is a nice white strip around the inside edge of the body, which, unfortunately, is only really visible to the player. The only change I made to the setup was changing the pickup heights slightly to bring out the neck and bridge characteristics of the pickups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Though it has no pick guard, I've yet to scratch the finish on the guitar. All of the hardware is rust free and shows no signs of rusting up. The input jack has required some regular maintenance, but ALL of my stringed instruments do, including guitars and basses costing 10 times what I paid for my X. Other than making sure the input jack is tight I've done very little maintenance, and that's after using this as my everyday guitar and dropping it / scuffing it / bringing it around everywhere. It doesn't get much more reliable than this. // 9

Overall Impression: As someone who plays a ton of different music, it's always good to have a workhorse guitar - one that sounds at home in any musical situation you throw it at. For me, I'll stick with my Iceman X. No other guitar has given me the same combination of tone, feel and value, and that's not even mentioning the radical look. Even compared to other Iceman models there's still just something they lack, perhaps the pickups are a bit softer and more ranged than it's more metal brothers and sisters. Don't let your preconceived notions get the best of you: the Iceman X is a small powerhouse capable of sonic diversity not usually seen in dual-humbucker axes, and is a great looking addition to any guitarist's collection. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 8.9 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014