IJX40 Jumpstart Package Review

8.5
 8.9
reviews (6) pictures (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
IJX40 Jumpstart Package Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2009

Features: It was Made in China in 2007. 22 frets Solid Top Maple neck,Rosewood Fretboard, Mohagany Body The finish was jewel blue The body style is rg, it is a cheaper versoin of the RG series ( like Epiphone or Squier exept Ibanez proudly puts its name on the headstock instead of by Ibanez) FAT 6 bridge Active electronics 5 way Switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob 2 Ibanez single coils and 1 Ibanez humbucker Locking tuners made by Ibanez It came with an amp, a gigbag, tools, cable, picks, strap, headphones, instructional DVD by paul gilbert, Tab Book. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal and rock, it suits it well. I sometimes use the Ibanez amp with it, More often I use a Roland Microcube with a Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah pedal. With the Ibanez amp it doesn't get very good clean tones unless everything's on 5, great heavy tones, when the gain is all the way up, you get a lot of humming, don't worry about it, you don't notice it when you're playing. There is amazing variety with this guitar. You Can get the sound of anything from a classic nylon string guitar, to the raw power of rock and roll that Slash used on apetite for destruction, to the extremely distorted guitars of 6 feet under. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great, I've never had problems with this guitar. The pickups were a little too low for my likings, with a screwdriver at hand it's no problem. Everything was properly matched and routed. The only flaw my guitar contained was a tiny pencil Dot sized paint chip due to carelessness of the seller while letting me try it out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is perfect for in the studio, on stage, or in the comforts of home practicing. This is an all around good guitar. I've had mine for two years now and a couple of screws are rusted. This is my only electric guitar and it's very dependable, I've never had any problems with it Live. The strap buttons are very solid. The finish is good enough to last, as long as you're not smashing it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, this is a very good mach.I have been playing for 8 years, since I was 5, I own 1 more Acoustic guitar that was my 1st guitar. There are questions I'd whished I'd asked but the DVD aswered them all. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again, I love everything about this guitar, I hate nothing. I compared it to a Squier Strat, this is definately better. // 10

IJX40 Jumpstart Package Reviewed by: DemonicTurtle66, on december 18, 2009

Purchased from: The Music Stop in Port Charlotte, FL

Features: The guitar looks good. I got the black one and I really like the shape and finish. The fretboard is alright looking I guess, what do you want for $300 though right? It has a tone knob and a volume knob. They both feel nice and sturdy when you turn them, and they have a lot of play in them. When I say that I mean you can turn them a bit before you notice a difference in tone, it works well for fine tuning your sound. The knobs are great, but because you have these pickups in the guitar it doesn't really matter. // 9

Sound: This works for the genres I play. The pickups are decent for how much I paid. I'm using the stock amp with a FAB Metal pedal and a Cry Baby wah pedal. The amp they give you is alright, but its not great. I wish it had a little more bass to it. If you're going to use the gain you'll end up getting more of an AC/DC tone out of it rather easily. Its a pretty straightforward amp though, really easy to use and figure out. Perfect for a beginner. If you are going to play some insane metal riffs with tapping and solos then you won't like these pickups at all. Then again, if you're playing metal riffs and solos then you shouldn't be investing in a beginner jumpstart pack. One problem I have with this guitar is that you can strum one string (usually the low E) and another string will vibrate (usually the D string). I don't know why it does this, but sometimes it can be fairly annoying. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up alright. I should have had the guitar shop set it up for me, but I was kind of broke after buying it lol. A year later now I'm ready for another guitar and it still plays like it did the day it came out of the box. There is some minor fret buzz, but that has been there since day one. Its really only on the low E string. The action was surprisingly good right out of the box. The higher frets are getting kind of rusy. Its not really noticeable unless you look for it. I need to point out that I Live in Florida. It is really humid down here, and things tend to rust a little faster than if it was a different climate. There were days when I would come home and play and sweat a little because it was 85 degrees in my house and I wouldn't wipe of the guitar each time I was done. I probably should have, but its just a jumpstart guitar, so I didn't bother. // 7

Reliability & Durability: One thing that amazes me with this guitar is how well it stays in tune. Once you string it and the strings stop stretching it will stay in tune for a long time. I hear of people with $500 guitars that have issues with them staying in tune, so a guitar that probably costs $200 that stay in tune for weeks at a time is pretty impressive. The hardware seems like it would last a while. The only thing I would replace is those frets I mentioned above. I think that is more my fault than Ibanez's. The strap buttons are solid and durable, I don't think they would ever break. If I was to wipe my guitar down and clean it in 5 minutes I wouldn't be able to see any blemishes or marks. Its holding up very well. I do clean my fretboard every time I restring it, but still. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock, alt, and metal. This is my first guitar, I've only played one other electric, so my opinion on this guitar shouldn't be the deciding factor if you buy it or not. If it was lost or stolen I would not replace it. It is a good beginner guitar, especially for the price. Its my first, but I've outgrown it now. The only reason I'll keep it is for sentimental value. If you are interested in learning electric guitar I would recommend this pack, because you get everything you need. Its a good sounding guitar that can play a wide range of genres. It is a great value for the price. // 8

IJX40 Jumpstart Package Reviewed by: Zapht, on december 10, 2007

Features: The IJX40 Jumpstart Package from Ibanez includes a GRX electric guitar, 15 watt GTA15 amplifier with reverb, cable, strap, picks, headphones, electronic tuner, and gig bag. Ibanez also includes an instruction DVD, book, and chord chart to teach you how to wail. The Ibanez electric has a maple neck with the GRX sleek profile for fast and furious playability. It also has a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, 22 medium frets, an alder body, three Powersound pickups with a humbucker at the bridge, and the FAT10 bridge for sustain and great intonation. The GTA15 amp has 15W power, an 8" speaker, clean and overdrive sounds, reverb, an active 3-band EQ, and a CD input so you can play along with your favorite guitar jams. // 8

Sound: The Ibanez IJX40 offers a fairly wide range of souns qualities. It sounds best on low deep notes. It has a fair amount of distortion but not enough to play much of any metal. The amp will also whine when the gain is turned all the way up. This guitar can range from playing funk to rock but it lacks the ability to create anything spectacular. It has a pretty full sound until you put on a lot of distortion which is when it starts to lose some fullness, but it doesn't lose a lot. The biggest deal is probably it's lack of ability to create much noise while palm muting. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The only real flaw I found was on the cord between the guitar and the amp, it doesn't really want to stay in. If you are pulling on it too much (which isnt that much) or have the cord at a weird angle the sound might not make it to the amp which sucks when your in the midst of playing a song. Also occasionaly when your playing in the farthest pickup you occasionally hit the volume and the wammy bar can get in the way. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty durable. The clear plastic coating comes off easily near the screws but other than that itsa pretty well built guitar. I still wouldn't use it in a gig without a backup or at a gig at all seeing as how the cord often comes undone. It's not for live shows but mainly for practice. // 8

Overall Impression: I play industrial metal which doesn't match with this guitar but I'm still a beginner so it's ok. I do highly recommend this as a first guitar since it comes with a ton of stuff, a good amp and a durably guitar that isn't too fragile. If you are more talented though I suggest this guitar only to people Who want to play something either funk or just regular rock since you can't shred much with it. One thing I do like is that it actually has "volume" and "tone" written on the knobs for them and not just plain black ones for you to figure out. The cord falling out does get pretty annoying but it is fixable in an open space. If stolen or broken I'd recommend getting something else so you don't end up with 2 amps 2 tuners 2 cases 2 of everything that wasn't stolen. Unless you want all that. If youve had it for awhile (over 4-5 months) I recommend getting a guitar more suited in the direction of music your interested in playing. This is a pretty good well rounded guitar, great for beginners! // 8

IJX40 Jumpstart Package Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 10, 2008

Features: First things first, the features. This was my very first electric guitar, it had everything I wanted, 5-way selector, whammy bar, and a skinny thin neck that reminded me of a Fender Strat. And it had this glossy red finish to it that never faded or anything like that. The neck was Made of what I think was maple, and it had 2 knobs on the guitar; one tone, one volume. // 8

Sound: Personally I like the sound of this guitar, it does a lot of sounds I want it to make, if you mess with amp controls alittle you can make it sound exactly like santana. It plays Black magic woman perfectly in my opinion. and with the pickups and humbuckers it can play anything from low and grungy sounds to soft sounding solos. But I would not playa gig with this guitar. The cord going into the guitar sometimes won't stay in and it makes this obnoxouis cracking noise. So don't buy it if your looking for a back up guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It sounds okay straight from the factory but it will need some tuning. And the plastic covering the pickguard comes off easy enough. The finish I got came in a glossy red, but you can also get it in blue, but I like red so I got the red one, I think the is a black one too. There really werent any flaws I didn't already make clear. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Lets get this straight, don't use this for a live gig. If you like to walk around and do some awesome shenannigans while playing live you wont be able to that while playing. The cord make the guitar make a crackle noise if you move around and the strap some times slips off the strap buttons amking you drop the guitar and also making you look like and idiot. But it is hard to break. I will give it that. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I think it's a great begginer guitar that's why I'm selling mine to get a sweet, sweet Ibanez GRX20Z. But this guitar is great for alt rock, classic rock, pop rock, emo rock, and soft rock. But it's not very good with metal or scremo, so don't buy it if you are a metal head. Well I'm done peace and war to everyone to who thought this was helpful. // 8

IJX40 Jumpstart Package Reviewed by: synysterfan101, on december 01, 2010

Purchased from: Firehouse guitars in michigan

Features: This guitar was made in japan, like the best Ibanez models, it has a thin neckj, medium frets. And a rosewood fingerboard. It has a maple neck, and a Mahogany body, the best wood for making guitars besides Korina wood. I think it has a satin finish, whatever, mine is in the jewel blue finish, and it's a pretty good finish. It holds up to lot of playing. It has a Standard fulcrom tremolo, I think it's an Ibanez Fat 10 bridge. I Don't like the tremolo on it because it can't raise the pitch, only lower it. If you take the back plate off and screw around with the screws you can get it to raise pitch great, but not lower it. And the guitar will go out of tune a lot if you do that. It has passive pickups, two single coils and a humbucker.no locking tuners, but yeah. It comes with a soft case, a strap some picks, a gig bag, a piece of shit cable that broke for me within the first week I got it, an instructional book, and an instructional DVD by paul gilbert. // 9

Sound: It suits classic rock, metal and all sorts of different tones. I play in many many different. I Use my Roland microcube practice amp, and I use a Marshall 30dfx amp with it during live shows, which I play a lot. I also use the amp that came with it a lot too. It's a great amp. I use a Boss delay pedal at home, a also have a Boss chromatic tuner, and I have a tap tempo delay pedal the I don't know who it's made by. The single coils are noisy but you don't notice it when you're playing. What people don't realize is that you can get the biggest variety of sounds from any guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up great from the factory and I took it out of the box and jammed away. I haven't ajusted the pickups at all they're great the way they are. Evrything was great about the guitar, exept the bridge that was in the instructional DVD was different than the bridge on the actual guitar, FAT6 VS. Fat20nand there is a BIG difference. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands a lot of live playing and I can depend on it. The hardware will get rusty but it will last. I use it all the time without a backup axe. It is very dependable. It seem like it's been a great finish for the last 3 years.this is an all around good guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for all music. I have been playing for 3 years and this is my only guitar. If it were stolen or lost I'd definately buy another Ibanez guitar, but I prefer one with a fixed bridge. The only thing I hated about it is the bridge. I whished that the guitar would have had more sustain so during a string change I took the tremolo springs off and put a wooden block in place so that it has a fixed bridge so that has added to sustain. // 8

IJX40 Jumpstart Package Reviewed by: 7SynysterxGates, on july 25, 2013

Purchased from: SweetWater

Features: Okay, so about 2 years ago, I got a jumpstart package for Christmas that included an Ibanez IJX40 (Jewel Blue finish)a cheap 15W practice amp, an amp Chord (that broke in a week), crap headphones (that broke when I dropped it on carpet), a very reliable gig bag, 5 decent guitar picks, a strap, a cheap tuner that shattered when I dropped it, a DVD, a tremolo bar, and that's about it. The guitar has 22 medium sized frets, on a rosewood fretboard, maple neck and I think a mahogany body. The guitar is total garbage. The tremolo bar when I first used it broke in one dive bomb and it went waaay out of tune. Luckily, I was able to still tune the guitar, but I couldn't take the bridge out because the tremolo piece was stuck in it. The neck wasn't fast, it was actually rather difficult to play the thing. The three way selector switch wasn't very useful at all and I will explain more about that under "SOUND." What could you expect from Chinese products? Not quality that's for sure. // 4

Sound: This guitar SCREAMS. And not in the way you think. The pickups are so buzzy it will irritate the heck out of you in seconds. It's not fun jamming with my brother when he hears nothing but squeaking. The amp doesn't go that loud. What a surprise. It seemed more like a 5 watt amp. The tone knob was surprisingly effective. I could have the gain all the way up with the tone set to 10 and get my distorted sound then turn it down to a 1 and get a whole new sound. Unfortunately, the tone only differs when the knob is at 1 or 10. I couldn't get too much variety out of this guitar. The amp it came with wasn't very versatile, it only had a good amount of distortion or just a clean setting. The three way selector on this thing is just junk. The neck and middle pickups just make the guitar sound muddy and it's just unpleasant. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I am doing this review two years later and I think I can recall the guitar coming out of the box not in tune. Which is okay but at the time I was a beginner guitarist so it was annoying to tune my FIRST electric guitar. The pickups were all over the place. They were set so high they were TOUCHING the strings. Also, when I tuned the low e string to e flat, the saddle was pulled out by the string's tension. The input jack was loose, so I tightened it but it still wouldn't hold an amp chord. The finish was beautiful. Sparkly dark jewel blue was very appealing. But it looked ugly to me after a month of owning it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Don't rely on this guitar to be your main guitar. It's more of a toy than an instrument. Hell, use it as firewood. It's funny how they should on the box, a guy playing this guitar in front of a crowd of people. I'm sure no one could hear it. The hardware did not last me at all. The tremolo bar broke in the bridge, the tuners were very look, the output jack couldn't hold an amp Chord so it would fall out unless you were sitting down. Kind of hard to rock out when you are sitting. The finish is surprisingly lasting. I dropped, tossed, smashed this thing all over my house and not one chip or dent! // 6

Overall Impression: Overall... This was not a good match for me. It really wasn't. Here I play progressive death metal and punk but this guitar is for those who play hard rock or blues songs. I as of now have been playing electric guitar for 2 years and my Kramer Nite V guitar makes this guitar look like firewood. Since I got this for a gift, I wish I would have pushed the envelope and ask for a B.C. Rich or a better Ibanez guitar NOT MADE IN CHINA. I wouldn't care if this thing got stolen. I just hope they could use this to make it through a cold winter. What I love, or like about it is the finish. I don't like the pick guard. I really wish I compared this with other guitars. Do more research before asking for a cheap guitar. I wish this came with a quality guitar. // 5

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014